Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 17:47   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Dev,

You'd be better off with a new TCIC than a second hand if that is the case, else look towards Toyota Innova etc.

Thanks
Rahul
Old 28th July 2009, 18:00   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
(I intend to keep it for at least 7 years), would you recommend a Safari?
Very Honestly speaking, NO, with the current models. There is alot need to be improved yet for this 10 Lacs plus beast.

Most of my friends/relatives kept it for 2-3 yrs and then sold it off.

A friend of mine bought it last year, did all the Spiti/Leh trips and now all set to sell it off.

it is still not a peace of mind car, and you can not stop thinking about what can go wrong next.

With all that said, its still the best beast with that money, may be because of very less competition and options.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:08   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer ,

Somehow I feel it was always ECU and all that injector , high pressure rail change etc on your safari was trial and error . If you notice the 2.2 Safari thread for service light issue they have replaced ECU in couple of more safaris , And in one case they have reflashed ECU. Probably all the R&D done on your Safari helped them to zero in on the real issue.

If this theory is correct then it would be one of the expensive software bug.

Regards
Old 28th July 2009, 18:10   #1189
Senior - BHPian

(TSK will be breathing fire by now!!!)

Quote:
... If I am looking at a long term car to whose niggles I can adjust while it is new but expect a peaceful ownership experience in the long run (I intend to keep it for at least 7 years), would you recommend a Safari?...
Dev,

My purchase of the Safari was keeping a long term usage in view. I hope it does end up, rather (would re-phrase that line), live up to my expectations.

So my advice to you will be what I practiced.

Now, unless I win the Lotto lottery or the Dubai Shopping festival grand lottery, I do not think I will be putting so much of money on a vehicle. (And no, I do not have any filthy rich uncle or aunt, unfortunately!!!)

But if you would like a more experienced answer, please wait for 7 years (counting from next month).
Old 28th July 2009, 20:57   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I can buy the extended warranty later right? I mean, when its almost 2years?
well i hope you are asking a question on behalf of a prospective owner... Else, it is never late... its 2055 in the night, i suggest you RUN to the nearest TASS and BUY the EXT WARR before midnight. Coz you never know, wednesday mornings arent liked by a TATA.

Heck I am joking.

ANY Morning/Noon/Eve/Night Can NOT be liked by a TATA...!!!
U hardly know when its gonna die :(

Last edited by svsantosh : 28th July 2009 at 21:05.
Old 29th July 2009, 08:56   #1191
BANNED

Nothing being said by the veterans and Mods???

Quote:
If I am looking at a long term car to whose niggles I can adjust while it is new but expect a peaceful ownership experience in the long run (I intend to keep it for at least 7 years), would you recommend a Safari?
Why are the Mods, veterans and senior/older Safari 2.2VTT owners silent on this???
Was it such a boring question??
Inputs from Dadu, Khan_Sultan, GTO, jkdas, etc PLEASE....

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th July 2009 at 10:05. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 29th July 2009, 10:07   #1192
Team-BHP Support

devdath, your question has no simple answer.
You want to keep a vehicle for 7 years with minimal niggles. To be safe the only option below 10L in MUV/SUV seg,ment is innova. If your budget goes upto 20L then options also increase.
If you want a SUV below 10L, you can choose either the Safari and Scorpio, and both will give you niggles. If you are unlucky you will have troubles like me or m_upreti but if you are lucky you can have a reliable vehicle like Gowda or Anupmathur.
So in the end its your call. You have to take the plunge!
Old 29th July 2009, 10:13   #1193
BANNED

Aaaaarrrgh....back to a taxi from Japan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
To be safe the only option below 10L in MUV/SUV seg,ment is innova.
Thank you for your reply, yes my budget is certainly not above 10 lacs, in fact even that is a stretch but I can manage.
Hmmm....Innova.....image issues big time, the road is full of yellow board Innovas, Life is tough at times....wot say???
Old 29th July 2009, 11:01   #1194
Team-BHP Support

Why dont you do a long test drives of both and then decide. I personally would rate scorpio reliability higher in comparison to safari with my very limited experience, though safari might score better on travel comfort factors.

At the end its your money, so let your heart and head decide
Old 29th July 2009, 11:09   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if you really really need peace of mind, and a safari, I wonder if the TCIC safari will do, maybe even a second hand one.

The TCIC engine has a lot less bells and whistles which could go wrong. I think there are several here on this forum itself.

Boy am I glad I bought a TCIC indica and not the DICOR ( which i kinda regretted then )
TCIC is old school for 2009. And a TCIC Safari is old; if you get maintenance , it MAYBE costly.

And, I see/hear/understand that Safari gets better quality/service treatment that other Tata products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Dev,

You'd be better off with a new TCIC than a second hand if that is the case, else look towards Toyota Innova etc.

Thanks
Rahul
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
(TSK will be breathing fire by now!!!)

Dev,

My purchase of the Safari was keeping a long term usage in view. I hope it does end up, rather (would re-phrase that line), live up to my expectations.

So my advice to you will be what I practiced.

Now, unless I win the Lotto lottery or the Dubai Shopping festival grand lottery, I do not think I will be putting so much of money on a vehicle. (And no, I do not have any filthy rich uncle or aunt, unfortunately!!!)

But if you would like a more experienced answer, please wait for 7 years (counting from next month).
lol; same here. 43600 done in almost 18months. Expect to cross 50k by Dec. I am very happy till date. Just get a GX though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
well i hope you are asking a question on behalf of a prospective owner... Else, it is never late... its 2055 in the night, i suggest you RUN to the nearest TASS and BUY the EXT WARR before midnight. Coz you never know, wednesday mornings arent liked by a TATA.

Heck I am joking.

ANY Morning/Noon/Eve/Night Can NOT be liked by a TATA...!!!
U hardly know when its gonna die :(
seems they made profit for Q1 though.

Quote:
Why are the Mods, veterans and senior/older Safari 2.2VTT owners silent on this???
Was it such a boring question??
Inputs from Dadu, Khan_Sultan, GTO, jkdas, etc PLEASE....
At 9.5lac OTR, I couldnt find a better vehicle which was this loaded apart from size,power, comfort etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Why dont you do a long test drives of both and then decide. I personally would rate scorpio reliability higher in comparison to safari with my very limited experience, though safari might score better on travel comfort factors.

At the end its your money, so let your heart and head decide

Last edited by jkdas : 29th July 2009 at 11:13.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:08   #1196
BANNED

Quote:
TCIC is old school for 2009. And a TCIC Safari is old; if you get maintenance , it MAYBE costly.
I agree with you on that note, the TCIC is not only old but comparatively underpowered as well.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:14   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, this is turning out to be cool, just one small question to all you big Safari gurus at TBHP out there, and I would really appreciate an answer.

I know my small bit about the the Safari and am ready to buy it now as it suits me....BUT......
If I am looking at a long term car to whose niggles I can adjust while it is new but expect a peaceful ownership experience in the long run (I intend to keep it for at least 7 years), would you recommend a Safari?
You can keep the car for a long time to come! Do you want to buy mine? I will give you some discount. I will buy a skoda !

Last edited by bantejas : 29th July 2009 at 12:15.
Old 29th July 2009, 13:38   #1198
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
You can keep the car for a long time to come! Do you want to buy mine? I will give you some discount. I will buy a skoda !
Sorry dude, I cant afford an EX let alone a 4X4 EX that you have. My budget at most will permit an LX and that too if purchased from Jamshedpur where it is 8.0 lacs OTR.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:15   #1199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
TCIC engines will always be cheaper to maintain than Electronically controlled Common Rail engines. The TCIC engine does duty in lakhs of Sumos and it is cheap and easy to maintain. Unfortunately with only 90 bhp and turbo lag it is too underpowered for the Safari.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 29th July 2009 at 14:17.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:19   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Why we are hijacking this thread ?

Most Viewed