Team-BHP - Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/43105-safari-ex-4x4-120-000-km-update-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 920080)
6. Clutch adjustment to make it softer

On the clutch Pedal Hard bit...

The clutch pedal has a spring for its return. A dainty piece of work.

Grease the appropriate areas after understanding the mechanism and the clutch will feel softer:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 926093)
Also noticed the first scratch. A small one on the bumper. Most probably at Lajpat nagar when she was parked getting seat covers.

Glad to hear that the service went off OK - was the scratch noticed when you handed her over for service or after you got her back:D?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdeepakk (Post 924518)
Mods Sorry for OT, but its related to Safari. I dint wanted to create a new thread.

As per latest info received from my source who is closely related with Tata, The new safari will be launched in end of 2009 or early 2010. The engine specification will 2.6ltr, around 160bhp & new interiors which will be very close to Toyota standards.
It will be released across world at the same time & it will be matching all the international standards which is related to automobiles...

This is the info from my source, nothing official.

Regards
deepak

Deepak,

Thats too far to think of isnt it. I remember the new Safari 2.2 news coming on team-bhp sometime early in 2006 and it said launch will be soon but it took more than 1.5 years to launch . So I suspect the same thing even if its said 2009 end timeframe I think it will be 2010 mid or end to see this vehicle.

Anyway its interesting news especially with the specs, thanks for posting. You should have created it in a separate thread as it will get lost here in case somebody has additional news or comments.

Regards,
Deepak

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 926333)
Glad to hear that the service went off OK - was the scratch noticed when you handed her over for service or after you got her back:D?

It was noticed after service, but the job card copy which was given to me had it marked. It very small and you miss it unless you look there!
The black plastic of the bumper is visible underneath! :Shockked:
But its Delhi, so its understandable. I guess I will get minor touch up done some time.

As for the clutch, its was more of an adjustment job, so that clutch modulation is better.
The gears are easier to engage now.

So, got your first 'scratch', did you!

Anyway, one for the road is always good. And better that it is something that can be fixed thru a minor touch up.

Good that you got the rattling sound fixed. That is one thing that gets on your nerve. I have the rattling on my Alto for ages now. Mostly drive with window closed or placed at a specific point,so that it does not rattle. MASS was soooo unsuccessfull in rectifying this!

Safari khandit ho gayee hai. Touch it up yourself using a thin brush. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 926416)
It was noticed after service, but the job card copy which was given to me had it marked. It very small and you miss it unless you look there!
The black plastic of the bumper is visible underneath! :Shockked:
But its Delhi, so its understandable. I guess I will get minor touch up done some time.

As for the clutch, its was more of an adjustment job, so that clutch modulation is better.
The gears are easier to engage now.

When the vehicle was on ramp for inspection of tilted front sump guard(which is a feature not a bug), I noticed pretty heavy skid plates all over, except for the transfer case.
Are these skid plates only on 4x4 or even the 4x2 have them. Pretty thick stuff made of metal
Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-image005.jpg

Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-image004.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 921386)
3. As I mentioned earlier what I thought was a AC compressor problem(turning off at idle on throttle input) turned out to be a feature. At narrow parkings where you have to go back and forth quite a bit, a lot of throttle blipping is needed. Won't this shorten the life of the compressor clutch?

Hi TSK

could you please elaborate on this issue/ feature?
I too sometimes feel that the compressor has switched off when driving or sudden acceleration. Before reading your post I thought that it was just me.
further it happens sometimes and not always.

while parking now I don't use the accelerator pedal at all, so no issues, When you suddenly acclerate the compressor cuts off, Its a ECU feature, and It happens always, They showed me on another safari too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 926812)
When the vehicle was on ramp for inspection of tilted front sump guard(which is a feature not a bug), I noticed pretty heavy skid plates all over, except for the transfer case.
Are these skid plates only on 4x4 or even the 4x2 have them. Pretty thick stuff made of metal
Attachment 35005

Attachment 35006

What are the two rollers like components in the 2nd pic? What purpose do they serve?

There are two black and two blue, those are differential vibration dampners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaxy (Post 933364)
What are the two rollers like components in the 2nd pic? What purpose do they serve?

In 20 days, 2000kms have been dispatched more than half on the highway, 5 in much and slush and almost 100 on winding roads, and in traffic jams.
Aggregate FE of all tank fulls since purchase(I maintain a logbook) is 10.5

Full city driving gives me 10.4, and highway should be around 14, but the offroading, and mountain traffic jams mean she's registering a low figure.

But now I know what petrol car owners feel when a tankful is 2100rs :Shockked:
On the other hand, I get a range of 700+kms which is unthinkable in the indica.

So whats changed in these 2000kms?
1. No new rattles have crept up, which is amazing considering the kind of roads and terrain she has done
2. The gear shift has become smoother, ditto for the clutch
3. The pickup is better now and engine seems to be livelier
But not all is bed of roses.
When she is cold, and I start and then depress or release clutch, sometimes I hear a "clang".
I also think I hear something akin to some metal plate vibrating when I reverse on an incline with some throttle input. This sound comes when the clutch pedal is transforming from press to release.
Not always there though.

I was also able to use 4x4 extensively, both 4L and 4H, and I must say I am impressed. She is no gypsy, but for our needs more than adequate.

On the accessory front the addition has been new seat covers.

Thats all for now folks!
Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-354308459_dro27l.jpg

Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-354309160_nm3fbl.jpg

Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-354309574_ecjkbl.jpg

Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-354312685_syadsl.jpg

Quote:

But now I know what petrol car owners feel when a tankful is 2100rs
On the other hand, I get a range of 700+kms which is unthinkable in the indica.

So whats changed in these 2000kms?
1. No new rattles have crept up, which is amazing considering the kind of roads and terrain she has done
2. The gear shift has become smoother, ditto for the clutch
3. The pickup is better now and engine seems to be livelier
But not all is bed of roses.
When she is cold, and I start and then depress or release clutch, sometimes I hear a "clang".
I also think I hear something akin to some metal plate vibrating when I reverse on an incline with some throttle input. This sound comes when the clutch pedal is transforming from press to release.
Not always there though.
I have the same opinion with some minor changes.

Diesel costs more here
I get the same mileage. Take to bad roads and narrower NH my highway driving is almost like city driving now.
15k and no rattles. My Santro would have got bend rim, a suspension job and what not. Kudos to Safari for excelling in that.

I think I too have the clang as I need to reverse first and engage 1st gear from a sloppy curve every morn.

Looks like its warming upto you. Have any "off-road" snaps?

And any details on the Seat covers, are they OEM (Safari tag) and cost.