Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:05   #1141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Yes agree, All well if end is well. Hope no more issue. You heading for a big trip
Yup, on a very big trip, I need trouble free 5500kms of operation by my calculations.
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:14   #1142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
sad to hear that. but tata are just worst at electronics. mainly TASS are very much incompetent to resolve the ECU related stuffs.
same things are happening with our indicas and i have seen 5 tata safaris on a single day single moment with all customers complaining same about engine check light.
the TASS people stood dumb with their hands up.
My neighbour has an indigo and the check engine light flashes whole time the engine & battery is on, he has been asked (by the servicemen) to ignore the light, that is supposed to mean nothing major!
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:51   #1143
Team-BHP Support

This is very strange. When check engine light comes, the ECU gives a specific error code.
For every error code TATA has a pre determined list of changes to be made.
For example mine was getting Rail pressure sensor positive error.
Therefore injector and HP lines were changed.
Old 2nd July 2009, 15:39   #1144
Senior - BHPian

My case seems to have been almost similar. The only difference being that the workshop was not happy with the parts Delphi sent, there was some issue with the injector threads and since the head was new they didnt want to take any chance, so they ordered again from TML, requiring more time. As such, all the parts they replaced showed on my final proforma invoice. I think I too have observed some idle surge on cold start which goes away after a while. Again, the surge does not happen during every cold start.
Truck is ready for a battery of long hauls coming up in the months ahead.
Old 4th July 2009, 10:46   #1145
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos to Tata for finally sorting it out. Happy Tanvveer's Stallion is back..
Old 6th July 2009, 00:43   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Well, congratulations, Tanveer. I am not sure whether to criticize TML or laud TML after keenly following this thread.

One thing is sure, that TML is still learning, and it is behind many other manufacturers in terms of age (I am speaking about making modern cars and not 1960 spec trucks).

Their technicians are mystified and their knowledge of electronics poor. Their quality control is obviously not up there where we would like it to be.

But one has to agree after reading your thread that
(a) They have spent time and effort to solve your problem
(b) They have tried not to charge you for the problems, atleast financially. We all know what you have suffered from the peace-of-mind POV.

If they continue to give such attention, they can learn a few things about how their own products behave and improve diagnosis. Provided they have customers who notice erratic idling and service lights. I know many owners who wouldn't care.

P.S. It's all very well for me to comment sitting at home, but I don't know if you would be so appreciative on points (a) and (b) considering what you have gone through.

Last edited by architect : 6th July 2009 at 00:45.
Old 6th July 2009, 12:06   #1147
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Well, congratulations, Tanveer. I am not sure whether to criticize TML or laud TML after keenly following this thread.

One thing is sure, that TML is still learning, and it is behind many other manufacturers in terms of age (I am speaking about making modern cars and not 1960 spec trucks).

Their technicians are mystified and their knowledge of electronics poor. Their quality control is obviously not up there where we would like it to be.

But one has to agree after reading your thread that
(a) They have spent time and effort to solve your problem
(b) They have tried not to charge you for the problems, atleast financially. We all know what you have suffered from the peace-of-mind POV.

If they continue to give such attention, they can learn a few things about how their own products behave and improve diagnosis. Provided they have customers who notice erratic idling and service lights. I know many owners who wouldn't care.

P.S. It's all very well for me to comment sitting at home, but I don't know if you would be so appreciative on points (a) and (b) considering what you have gone through.
I agreee with you 100%, felt that some comments on the thread unnecessarly blamed TATA and the Service Centre. They put in effort that must be acknowledged. They tried to save on financial cost to the customer.

The new Dicor engines are cutting edge (140 BHP for a 2.2 Ltr engine.) and some issues may arrise. The other manufacturers would probably not have released this work in progress engine so soon and tested further, but then TATA must be acknowledged for working to make their cars cutting edge and value for money to the best of their ability.
Old 6th July 2009, 12:41   #1148
Team-BHP Support

Yes, kudos to Tata for fixing the issues, but to me its simple unacceptable that a brand new vehicle has so many problems from day one, and it takes almost a year and 19000kms of driving for the vehicle to be in its current problem free state now.
Also remember, there have been 2 breakdowns, suspension related issues, and brake related issues on the way.
So right now I am happy with the service center, esp the head mechanic Kuldeep and customer care guy Prashant Khanna who actually spend so many days diagnosing and fixing the problem.
However no credit to Tata QC. A brand new vehicle should not have such issues.

On the day of delivery an internal short makes all the lights go out. It could have also caused a fire. Looks like Tata is not doing enough QC, and is depending upon service centers to fix the issues later.

Such a view is myopic and also leads to financial loss to the company as they have to replace part after part.
I am a Tata motors shareholder, and such stuff happening worries me!
Old 6th July 2009, 13:54   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Today I got her back,
There were 2 job cards. one opened last thursday, and other one this tuesday.
For the service light 4 HP lines were changed.
Delphi people changed the injectors(not in system since delphi directly changed that)

For erratic idle, the problem was solved by replacing a 24 rupees washer(not under warranty)
A case of dug a mountain found a female mouse.

So after a week, and expense of 24rs from my side, fluctuating rpm on cold start problem has been solved, hopefully once and for all!
Kudos to the dude who found out this was the issue.
Old 6th July 2009, 14:12   #1150
Senior - BHPian

TSK, I have a feeling you are in for some very happy miles in the future. It took some time, but your wild horse has been tamed. It will serve you well now onwards, I feel.

And that Rs 24 washer...what a showstopper!
Old 6th July 2009, 20:23   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
TSK, I have a feeling you are in for some very happy miles in the future. It took some time, but your wild horse has been tamed. It will serve you well now onwards, I feel.

And that Rs 24 washer...what a showstopper!
Talk about TML QC.. they should be outright fired. If it can take 19k to solve tanveer's issue, what about me .. mine is only a lil more than week old with EGR and VGT ECM errors.
Old 6th July 2009, 22:22   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I agreee with you 100%, felt that some comments on the thread unnecessarly blamed TATA and the Service Centre. They put in effort that must be acknowledged. They tried to save on financial cost to the customer.
yes, i agree, kudos to tata for this.

Quote:
The new Dicor engines are cutting edge (140 BHP for a 2.2 Ltr engine.) and some issues may arrise.
sory, i disagree. cutting edge technology does not grant the car to have more issues. infact there are much more modern cars with better tech & with lesser issues.

Quote:
The other manufacturers would probably not have released this work in progress engine so soon and tested further, but then TATA must be acknowledged for working to make their cars cutting edge and value for money to the best of their ability.
if other manufacturers does not release the engine & tests it further, its a good sign. they are making their cars more reliable & ensuring that their customers are not treated like guinea pigs on whom every new tech is tested.
Old 7th July 2009, 13:51   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
sory, i disagree. cutting edge technology does not grant the car to have more issues. infact there are much more modern cars with better tech & with lesser issues.

if other manufacturers does not release the engine & tests it further, its a good sign. they are making their cars more reliable & ensuring that their customers are not treated like guinea pigs on whom every new tech is tested.
I'd agree with this all the way!
Why should a new vehicle have so many issues???!!! Regardless of the highly subjective love affair that owners might be having with their steeds!
Old 7th July 2009, 13:55   #1154
Senior - BHPian

What I feel that the companies are not able to keep up the pace of training & enabling the front end engineers at par with the rapid computerisation of the modern cars.

As far as QC goes we are bound to have lemons once in a while when the QC team forgets to do its job right.

I have a QC lemon which had most of the parts replaced (except for the electronics & the engine) to make it run properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Talk about TML QC.. they should be outright fired. If it can take 19k to solve tanveer's issue, what about me .. mine is only a lil more than week old with EGR and VGT ECM errors.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:12   #1155
BHPian

@tsk
Why do not you lodge a complaint in consumer court. No doubt you were delivered a defective Piece. This vehicle costs you your hard earned money and piece of mind.

Whatever feel good factor i had about safari all gone after going through this thread.
Hope either your car's problem got resolved( which does not seem like) or you get a replacement.

Most Viewed