Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 11:34   #1126
Senior - BHPian

TSK1979,

Not something anyone would love to hear of their ride, but it does seems that all possible unique and unknown issues are coming up in your vehicle!

This is the ideal test mule any manufacturer will love to have, provided they are interested in solving issues.

Hope that the circus ends soon!
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:09   #1127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nobdy at any Tata workshop have been to has seen such a problem. Looks like my while elepthant is unique!
This is a honor my friend. Tata keeps their best cars for their most esteemed customers
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:37   #1128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, she was doing rpm surging even when hot.

Nobdy at any Tata workshop have been to has seen such a problem. Looks like my while elepthant is unique!
the only saving grace is TML is trying its best to solve the problem. thats a good thing.
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:31   #1129
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Thursday morning I gave her at Automobile sterling
The problem, erratic idle on cold start. Infact now it was earratic idle most of the times.
They tried and changed stuff, experimented, changed an injector, fixed the service light issue, and erratic idle when hot was solved.
However they were unable to fix the problem.
Hence they have requested TML to send somebody. Delphi guy already came and went, no solution.
Job card is open, and today evening(after 3 days at service center) I collected her back.
Now in 10 days or so somebody from TML will come, and maybe he will fix the problem?
Erratic idling : I had a similar issue in my Bolero, that too on cold start, the reason was air seeps through through fuel line. This happened after few days of oil change. Once the engine is warmer, the problem disappears. I am sure TML must have looked into this possibility. After they tightened all connectors, problem vanished, but reappeared again after few days. So it had to be tightened again and problem solved.
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:16   #1130
Team-BHP Support

Finally, all solved!

Today I got her back,
There were 2 job cards. one opened last thursday, and other one this tuesday.
For the service light 4 HP lines were changed.
Delphi people changed the injectors(not in system since delphi directly changed that)

For erratic idle, the problem was solved by replacing a 24 rupees washer(not under warranty)
A case of dug a mountain found a female mouse.

So after a week, and expense of 24rs from my side, fluctuating rpm on cold start problem has been solved, hopefully once and for all!
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:21   #1131
Senior - BHPian

Dear tsk, great news.

Better late than never, hope that last of your problems with the car are done and over with.

All the best.
Quote:
Today I got her back,
Delphi people changed the injectors(not in system since delphi directly changed that
For erratic idle, the problem was solved by replacing a 24 rupees washer(not under warranty) A case of dug a mountain found a female mouse.
So after a week, and expense of 24rs from my side, fluctuating rpm on cold start problem has been solved, hopefully once and for all!
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:26   #1132
Senior - BHPian

So how many people at the dealership/TML have been fired for replacing tens of thousands worth of equipment on the back of useless diagnosis?
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:32   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Tens of thousands? Each CRDi injector costs four times that!
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:32   #1134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
So how many people at the dealership/TML have been fired for replacing tens of thousands worth of equipment on the back of useless diagnosis?
All the parts which did not have any affect on this problem went back to Tata. For example new ECU was put in, no effect, so was taken out.
Only injectors/high pressure lines were changed to take care of service light problem which is orthogonal to this problem.

As for dealership technicians, TML guys on the phone were suggesting all the changes. In the end the head tech mechanic told TML, let me try my own stuff. He then changed the washer. Nobody suggested this to him, he just acted on a hunch.

And the problem went away. So when ECUs and error codes fail to tell the problem, you need a master technician to fix the issue.
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:36   #1135
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, the circus is temporarily over, but who knows when the next show will happen!

By the way, where exactly is this wonderful washer located?
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:39   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is a honor my friend. Tata keeps their best cars for their most esteemed customers
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the only saving grace is TML is trying its best to solve the problem. thats a good thing.
Yeah, thats true. If this were a certain other brand, we would have had all these parts replaced with parts stolen from other cars, then some more parts stolen simply for the heck of it, a non functioning car, and some more members for harishv & co
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:46   #1137
Senior - BHPian

I am now really worried about the capabilities of TATA people to put the replaced things back in your beast with perfection. So many things swapped/replaced/changed to do the experiments.

Letting TATA opening anything in my Indica was my biggest nightmare
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:50   #1138
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Hmmm, the circus is temporarily over, but who knows when the next show will happen!

By the way, where exactly is this wonderful washer located?
Its where the injector sits on the head.
Called seat or something.
It had been replaced along with injectors earlier, but the tech guy told me that for 2.2 a thinner washer is there, and its not the same spec. There is slight variation from piece to piece, not noticeable unless you look closely. This is common for most rubber washers, and no two are identical.
After the washer changed, on cold start the rail pressure readings etc., from the sensors also changed, however parameters are same when hot.
I suspect with the engine head cold, the washer could have let in slight amount of air, similar to what was mentioned in the thread w.r.t a bolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Yeah, thats true. If this were a certain other brand, we would have had all these parts replaced with parts stolen from other cars, then some more parts stolen simply for the heck of it, a non functioning car, and some more members for harishv & co
Yup, TML won't cheat you in the way Skoda does.
For example when the problem did not go away, the customer care division sent a technical manager Prashant.
He oversees dealerships in East Delhi region.
Every day the vehicle was there he used to come and sit with the mechanics.
Infact he also called the dealership to depute the guy Kuldeep on this vehicle as he is a head mechanic and one of the most competent.
The worked continously.
I saw the "warranty claim slips" which were later cancelled as the parts went back to the parts bin.
They replaced total parts worth 1 lakh 67000 .
The list
ECU, Wiring harness, Common rain + countless sensors etc.,
Later they took the alternator of their demo vehicle, and changed the alternator to see if current parameters change.

I also saw a few printouts from TML diagnostic guide.
It had a page called erratic idlling.
Below that were 10 parameters/parts to check and replace.
They went through the entire checklist but this problem did not go away.
Finally kuldeep zeroed in on the injectors washer. I guess he looked at the inlet pressure and the rail paramters dumped out by system and figured out air was going into the system.
Since HP lines were new, they could not be the culprit. After all this is the second time they have been replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
I am now really worried about the capabilities of TATA people to put the replaced things back in your beast with perfection. So many things swapped/replaced/changed to do the experiments.

Letting TATA opening anything in my Indica was my biggest nightmare
This workshop is pretty big and since delphi guys were also there, I am not too worried.
The problem has been solved finally, and thats what counts!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 2nd July 2009 at 11:52.
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:54   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I got her back,
Delphi people changed the injectors(not in system since delphi directly changed that)

For erratic idle, the problem was solved by replacing a 24 rupees washer(not under warranty)
A case of dug a mountain found a female mouse.

TSK, any idea what/where this washer belongs to?

thanks
Srini
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:59   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This workshop is pretty big and since delphi guys were also there, I am not too worried.
The problem has been solved finally, and thats what counts!
Yes agree, All well if end is well. Hope no more issue. You heading for a big trip

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks