Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:15   #1111
Senior - BHPian

ADC, I compared the 'elephant' with the ánt' (M800) just to drive home the point that the elephant is not that white after all.

But yes I do agree 100% with jaysomkesleaves' statements.

Tanveer, did you witness the idle surging problem again?
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:51   #1112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
ADC, I compared the 'elephant' with the ánt' (M800) just to drive home the point that the elephant is not that white after all.

Tanveer, did you witness the idle surging problem again?
Can't tell until temp cools down. Last evening it was 37 degrees C. This problem manifests itself when temperature is below 30 degrees or so.
Therefore I have parked her after last evening, and will start only tomorrow morning.
Old 22nd May 2009, 09:57   #1113
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Again, and who doesnt? Only a person who has actually gone through the experience of stalling and be stranded at unknown highways and places, knows the agony and the anxiety and/or seeing the hard earned vehicle going frequently to SS.

What I say is like please dont generalise, there are people who are having trouble free VTT experience.

Of course, personally, if I start having problems like this - will change my opinion right away and blast away, and as such TSK is justified - all this gyan comes out of a trouble-free experience till now. But will it be fair from someone else's point to generalise?

@TSK - How is the JK Elanzo performance? They definitely are much cheaper than the other brands.

Last edited by adc : 22nd May 2009 at 10:00.
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:25   #1114
Team-BHP Support

The ride is slightly stiffer, but otherwise the tires are great. The compound is long lasting and harder, and for rough use, I would recommend them over the HTs.
Road noise is same, no increase, and no problems in handling or braking either!
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:17   #1115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Rs. 1 per Km maintenance cost (Including tyres & Consumables like Brake Pads and clutch) (excluding Accident Repiars & Fuel & toll) is actually very good for a Car (Safari) costing about Rs. 9-13L.
I would agree with your statement if his car had 1 lakh kms on the clock. But $1 per km is not acceptable at 17K kms on the odo. But as he pointed out the cost of tires cannot be included since that is a one off and not regular wear and tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
ss

Hey Jaysmokesleaves

Am one Safari user at 150,000 kms who has been through his fare share of troubles and would love to buy the next safari once again. My family also thinks that I should do it. Though it has been stranded on the road a few times (timing belt failure once) and Fan Propeller failure once. Possibly caused in both cases by erratice maintenance.
The 2.0 TCIC engine is an old school engine which is farily robust. The 2.2 VVTI is a much more advanced and hence complex engine which is likely to be more expensive to maintain.
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:11   #1116
Team-BHP Support

A quick update

Around 19000kms done now.
Idle surging at cold start is still there. Infact now it comes occasionally even when engine is warmed up.
Service light also comes up intermittently, this started happening a couple of days back.

I had written a stinker to TML top management after the bearings went bad,
Have asked me to contact the local customer care head (Vikas) as usual.

I know he will ask me to take vehicle to sterling. But how many times do I need to go to service center to get simple problems rectified!
Old 25th June 2009, 11:10   #1117
Team-BHP Support

Update, The white elephant is at automobile sterling. This time the idle surging problem came even on warm engine. So the service advisor was able to see it first hand.,
Apart from that I have asked them to clean wash wipe nozzle(front).
It costs 400rs if broken(no warranty on such parts). So I have told them just to clean it. No replacement.
Its surprising that such parts are not covered under warranty!
Old 25th June 2009, 11:35   #1118
Senior - BHPian

sad to hear that. but tata are just worst at electronics. mainly TASS are very much incompetent to resolve the ECU related stuffs.
same things are happening with our indicas and i have seen 5 tata safaris on a single day single moment with all customers complaining same about engine check light.
the TASS people stood dumb with their hands up.
Old 28th June 2009, 02:51   #1119
Team-BHP Support

Thursday morning I gave her at Automobile sterling
The problem, erratic idle on cold start. Infact now it was earratic idle most of the times.
They tried and changed stuff, experimented, changed an injector, fixed the service light issue, and erratic idle when hot was solved.
However they were unable to fix the problem.
Hence they have requested TML to send somebody. Delphi guy already came and went, no solution.
Job card is open, and today evening(after 3 days at service center) I collected her back.
Now in 10 days or so somebody from TML will come, and maybe he will fix the problem?
Old 28th June 2009, 19:42   #1120
Senior - BHPian

what a title - "circus continues"!

again i wish you good luck with your vehicle tanveer.
Old 28th June 2009, 20:50   #1121
Team-BHP Support

When a problem is almost a year old, and Tata does not have a clue how to solve it, its a circus
Old 29th June 2009, 16:38   #1122
Senior - BHPian

I think you should seriously think of taking these issues to consumer court now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When a problem is almost a year old, and Tata does not have a clue how to solve it, its a circus
Old 29th June 2009, 17:04   #1123
Team-BHP Support

Too much hassle, and It won't work in my favor since this problem has not caused any breakdowns I can live with it and bug Tata motors.
anyways, the customer care head has asked me to bring the vehicle again tomorrow, to show it to some technical team or something.
Lets see how that goes??
Old 29th June 2009, 17:14   #1124
Senior - BHPian

I can understand. We still are too far from a customer centric and hassle free environment. All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Too much hassle, and It won't work in my favor since this problem has not caused any breakdowns I can live with it and bug Tata motors.
anyways, the customer care head has asked me to bring the vehicle again tomorrow, to show it to some technical team or something.
Lets see how that goes??
Old 1st July 2009, 11:20   #1125
Team-BHP Support

Update

As I mentioned earlier, she was doing rpm surging even when hot.
Change of one injector and high pressure line solved this problem.
But cold start problem could not be diagnosed after 3 days at the service center.
Therefore on Tuesday(yesterday), I got the car again to Sterling, and their technical guys started working on the problem.
By evening the surging was minor 800-832 rpm, and its not even noticeable.
Even their demo car was showing this.
I told them that it will have to be checked at cold start.
So They asked me to leave the car overnight, and take the keys with me so that nobody can start the vehicle, as sometimes drivers arrange cars at night.
Today morning I went to sterling, and their senior mechanic attached the laptop.
We started the car, and initially it was okay, after a 30-40 seconds I revved the engine to around 3500rpm, and left the accelerator again.
The rpm settled to 832 momentarily, and then she started surging
800-832-864.
The inlet air temp was 35 degrees, so surging was 64rpm, less than the 100rpm when its below 20 degree C.
Spoke to their senior guy on the phone, and they will go through another round of checking.
We even disconneced the EGR to see if EGR is culprit, but no relief there. The surging still happens to some extent. 800-832-864rpm rythemic oscillations

People from TML pune are also in touch via phone, and they are also dumbfounded.
They even changed the alternator and battery to see if alternator was culprit. Even changed the Common rail and tried to diagnose, no use at all.

Nobdy at any Tata workshop have been to has seen such a problem. Looks like my while elepthant is unique!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks