Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 19:16   #1066
BHPian

Really heartening to see the positive side of the story now, and you are man of steel, most of the people would lose nerves with all the niggles, but I certainly hope the God's will be smiling at you now, and the bull will return the faith.
Old 12th May 2009, 11:15   #1067
BHPian

Hey Tanveer, I saw you on my way to Solang. There was a mini jam and I was behind the struck truck in my Scorpio and you were coming down. I wanted to say a quick hello but the truck moved and there were other cars behind me.

Only my heart knows how much I missed a 4 X 4.
Old 18th May 2009, 12:35   #1068
Team-BHP Support

A tale of 2 service centers

Noida has just two big service centers, Sterling and Dynamic. I had had bad experiences with sterling with my indica. Every time I used to get something repaired. something broke down
Therefore I went to dynamic.
I was attended immediately, and we went for a TD.
First the was the noise. At first he suspected tires, but after a short TD the service advisor told me its bearings, and they are not in stock. come after 10 days or so.
I was like whoa!
Next was the skid. I hit the brakes, and she went sideways, and both the service advisors hung on to their lives. They told me this is normal. On hard braking all safari's go sideways.
At that point I decided dynamic is not for me.
So with lots of apprehension I went to sterling. Thankfully the whole staff has changed. Hopefully this is a good thing.
The SA told me that it can't be done today due to rush so he will take TD, and I have to come tomorrow at 9am.
I said fine, and we went for TD.
For the humming noise he said it sounds like bearings but he is not sure, could be front diff also, they will open and check.
There was no fast speed stretch around, so I showed him sideways at 50kmph, it was much less, but he noticed.
He told me brake pad cleaning should take care of it. I told him I have paid 225rs for the same multiple times, and only if thats the solution do it, otherwise not.
I also showed him the mobile video of surging.
So tomorrow I will get the vehicle to sterling, and I hope things get sorted out.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:58   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Dynamic is no good. I had got the Indica serviced there the last time. They are only interested in part replacement. anti rust treatment and engine flush so that they can make a fat bill.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:07   #1070
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the warning Rajneeesh. Sterling seems totally changed. All the staff is new. I guess they went to a new management?
Hopefully, they will really fix the problem and not just clean brake pads for 250rs and say problem fixed!
Old 19th May 2009, 11:24   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, I don't think your problem is even remotely connected to Brake Pads!
Old 19th May 2009, 11:27   #1072
Team-BHP Support

Try telling that to TASCs. For them its 225rs income.
Car is currently at sterling.
Problems reported
1. HVAC internal air mode still gets smoke from outside
2. Can't set direction to windshield only, it does not go all the way
3. Loud hum from front(bearing most probably)
4. Idle surging at cold start
5. Strange metallic vibration sounds when car is accelerated in 4th gear at 60kmph or 80kmph in 5th gear
6. Sideways skid on hard braking(have been complaining about this since 5000kms!)
Old 19th May 2009, 15:11   #1073
Team-BHP Support

The torture continues

Got a call from service center.
Bearings are faulty. It takes 4-5 hours to change them, so I will get her back tomorrow
As for idle surging they are still trying to find out why it happens.

Meanwhile they will fix the HVAC thingy etc., As for brakes and sliding, I have given up on this
Old 19th May 2009, 16:53   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Got a call from service center.
Bearings are faulty. It takes 4-5 hours to change them, so I will get her back tomorrow
As for idle surging they are still trying to find out why it happens.

Meanwhile they will fix the HVAC thingy etc., As for brakes and sliding, I have given up on this
Glad to know that one problem is resolved. The bearings must have been damaged when they changed your front hubs. The earlier TASS must have got the shim sizes wrong.
Old 19th May 2009, 17:07   #1075
Team-BHP Support

Hubs were changed at 10K. It takes that long for bearings to go bust?
Old 19th May 2009, 17:11   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Hubs were changed at 10K. It takes that long for bearings to go bust?
If the failure was due to the hub change and the shims, the failure rate will depend on how wrong TASS went wrong on the Shim size.

Another reason (may be) due to insufficient grease packing in to the hubs, resulting in insufficient lubrication to the bearings.

EDIT: TASS changed the shims durings my 1st service (1200 KMs) because the right front had play.
EDIT 2: The bearings should last for atleast 50 K Kms unless something is wrong. Off roading would only spoil your suspension not the bearings unless you throw caution to the wind.

Last edited by kingshukt : 19th May 2009 at 17:16.
Old 19th May 2009, 17:24   #1077
Team-BHP Support

Hmm shims affect the camber right? And do 4x4 and 4x2 come with different sized shims? AFAIK shims have never been added to my vehicle, only removed and that too from LHS. However the bearing which went was RHS.
MY car never had alignment problems, till the tie rod replacement, which totally messed up the alignment and also ate tie rods.
Old 19th May 2009, 17:33   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MY car never had alignment problems, till the tie rod replacement, which totally messed up the alignment and also ate tie rods.
Tanveer - I don't think the Tie-rod ends replacement messed up the alignment. It is common knowledge that after a Tie-rod end replacement, wheel alignment needs to be done.

If that was not done (whatever the reason), its no point blaming the Tie-rod replacement for it. I think we need to be a little careful of what we post as a lot of people depend on the knowledge of posters like you & me on the forum.

Also, are you saying your Tie-rods are gone again?
Old 19th May 2009, 17:37   #1079
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Tanveer - I don't think the Tie-rod ends replacement messed up the alignment. It is common knowledge that after a Tie-rod end replacement, wheel alignment needs to be done.

If that was not done (whatever the reason), its no point blaming the Tie-rod replacement for it. I think we need to be a little careful of what we post as a lot of people depend on the knowledge of posters like you & me on the forum.

Also, are you saying your Tie-rods are gone again?
Nope this time the bearings are gone. They have opened it up and checking up stuff.
As for alignment, I am pretty dissappointed with autolinks for not even recommending the same after they did the tie rod change.
And another silly thing is that most TASC do not have alignment machines for alloy wheeled cars
After bearing replacement I will check with sterling guys whether I need to get alignment fixed again. If they have opened up the entire suspension, I think alignment will also be needed!
Old 19th May 2009, 17:43   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for alignment, I am pretty dissappointed with autolinks for not even recommending the same after they did the tie rod change.
Yes, I must say that I'm surprised. When my Tie-rod ends were replaced at 45k kms, the first thing they told me when handing over the car was that I should get my alignment done since they didn't have an alloy wheel alignment machine.

I think the reason why TASCs don't have the alloy wheel type is because of the investment involved vis a vis the fact that most vehicles coming in are on normal steel wheels. Even a (so called) "Big" workshop like Dhingra's don't.

Most Viewed