Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 14:00   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Your expectations from your safari seem to have really gone down. Understandable after what it has made you go through ...
Ntldr, you underestimate him! The machine might be weak, but the spirit is very strong! Just sit back and watch out for the forthcoming travelogues and superpix!
Old 4th May 2009, 19:20   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I wonder whether TML pays for tires lost this way. Have sent a mail to tata motors, lets see what they do.
They won't do it voluntarily! Maybe with some persuasion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Anyways, autolinks recommended me to get alignment done from outside, since they have proper equipment for small cars only.
I have never come across an alignment machine which is size specific!
Old 4th May 2009, 22:46   #1038
BHPian

Well human spirit they say can move mountains. And its only a tata safari 4X4 we're speaking of here. So i am sure Tanveer will make the beast bow to his whims.
Old 4th May 2009, 23:28   #1039
Distinguished - BHPian

Alignment machines are size specific in sense that they have max openings and if the vehicle track is bigger you may just need to go to another aligner.
Old 4th May 2009, 23:33   #1040
BANNED

IMHO, if the circus still continues, dump the junk!

Last edited by bhp1 : 4th May 2009 at 23:36.
Old 5th May 2009, 10:33   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
I have never come across an alignment machine which is size specific!
Its not only the size factor - there are certain machines which do not cater to alloy wheels
Old 5th May 2009, 12:17   #1042
Senior - BHPian

Hi folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Alignment machines are size specific in sense that they have max openings and if the vehicle track is bigger you may just need to go to another aligner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Its not only the size factor - there are certain machines which do not cater to alloy wheels
Thanks for those answers.

Just proves how much more there is to learn!

Last edited by trrk : 5th May 2009 at 12:19.
Old 11th May 2009, 14:42   #1043
Team-BHP Support

17600 update!

Last weekend she went for service around 15900kms.
And today the odo reads 17600+
The last 1500kms saw the toughest terrains. Places where I actually had to engage 4x4.
Infact its trips like these where the extra 1 lac seems justified.

After the service a lot of things have improved.
first is the mileage
For example from Rajpura to Manali,via anandpur Sahib, some 70kms on tarmac, and rest of 250kms on the mountain roads all uphill, including jams in manali she gave a terrific 10kmpl.

We filled up at Manali, and did lot of local sightseeing, went upto Marhi thrice and rohtang once. Used 4L in a lot of places, got stuck in traffic jams for 3-4 hours with engines running and traffic inching. while coming back we again filled up at manali itself(local sightseeing was 350kms almost) and got 8kmpl!

Then we filled up before Delhi border, mileage 13kmpl. This included 250kms of hill driving, both downhill and uphill, though mostly downhill this time.

As for the troubles part, thankfully this trip had minimal.
Firstly, when I fired her up in the morning at Kothi, temp was 11 degrees, and the rpm needle was surging between 800-1200rpm. Idle stayed erratic for over 5 minutes, and sounded rough. Instead of 800rpm, it settled around 1000rpm, I guess the rarified air at 2600mts had something to do with it.

While coming back from Rohtang, service light came on thrice for a few seconds. But no worries as I think of it as disco light now. No service light after that.

On the way back to Delhi I noticed that the front and rear windshield washers were not giving out water.
Saw tank empty. Filled her up, and after couple of minutes not water. Tank empty again.
Groped in the dark with a torch, and found that the rubber pipe at the bottom had come off. Fixed it back, its a very easy fix and goes in without resistance, I think I will fix a metal clamp on that, otherwise it will come loose again!

4x4 also worked like a charm. We went beyond the the point a zen and a qualis had to return. Even local expert drivers with sumos were struggling. They had to back up, rev hard, and zoom on the snow with momentum, while we just slowly ambled along in 4L. No revving, no cluch slipping no drama.

Thanks to 4x4 we had one of the best spots all to ourselves. Imagine not a soul in sight, just flying snow due to strong winds. Only sound was the clatter of the engine, and the wind.

This pic was taken some distance from where I backed up. Thanks to humoungous turning radius It took me 7-8 tried to turn back the white elephant. The front bullbar was like a snow plough, and I would first gently hit the front bullbar, then the rear bumper, and finally could turn.
We could have gone further also but there weren't any U turn opportunities in sight and it was getting dark. Reversing a km at night on the narrow road is not our idea of fun

The local guys with their pik up 4x4 mahindras were pretty amused. they warned us it won't go further, but when we mentioned 4x4 hai, they told us to go on and have fun, "Barf hi Barf hai" thay said.
Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update-532997915_xsekwl.jpg

So things are looking up. Hopefully the initial niggles are over. I'm a bit worried about erratic idle. the rpm needle was really dancing wildly, I have a mobile video which I will post later.
Old 11th May 2009, 14:54   #1044
BHPian

That's an awesome pic, Tanveer. No wonders here, you have been to similar/same places in your Indica!

Your sense of humour has improved, rather you take things as they come, I think. The best was the mention of 'disco lights'
Old 11th May 2009, 14:59   #1045
Senior - BHPian

yea,Safari has made him more patient and less demanding maybe.

LOL

nice pic tanveer,post some more man.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:01   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that you had no problem trip on The King or The White Elephant as you call it.

You did a U turn at this place which is shown in the picture.

Last edited by gowda79 : 11th May 2009 at 15:04.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:06   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy , this single picture is enough to inspire me to join the Tata Safari club. nice report you have there.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:07   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Wow that pic looks so nice. I wasnt aware that you have so much ice/snow in some part of our country at this time of the year :|

Thats a nice pic will be waiting for a detailed travelogue
Old 11th May 2009, 15:11   #1049
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Good to hear that you had no problem trip on The King or The White Elephant as you call it.

You did a U turn at this place which is shown in the picture.
Not exactly here, but at a similar place. It took 7-8 tries, and every time I was nudging the front and rear to the snow walls. Now I know what a bull bar is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Wow that pic looks so nice. I wasnt aware that you have so much ice/snow in some part of our country at this time of the year :|

Thats a nice pic will be waiting for a detailed travelogue
Wait till you see the travelogues. The next day Rohtang got heavy snowfall, and I am sure the snow is much more now.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:19   #1050
Team-BHP Support

aaah finally she is galloping like she should be, good update. Can you speed up the travelogue but please

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks