Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 12:01   #841
Team-BHP Support

I will ask them to change the radiator itself. No flute no bamboo.
along with that they can change the engine.
since suspension is making sound next is to change the suspension.

Or maybe I can ask tata to give me a service engineer and a laptop.
I wil chain him in the boot of the car, and take him with me to all my travels.
Like rally teams have their support crews, Tata should give free support crew to me to follow me wherever I go. something like that Pug in Vodaphone adverts
Old 19th March 2009, 12:03   #842
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit26 View Post
Pls check guys are you talking of this tube/clop etc....
In my Dicor 3.0 its closed clip...

Regards..
Yes Rohit thats the tube and clip on the 3L, i had a peek into my bonnet yesterday night, somehow on the 2.2's they seem to have got it wrong
Old 19th March 2009, 12:07   #843
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Well in my case there is a fault in the cooling system. The car is loosing coolant, they have verified it. They suspect the radiator cap, testing going on.
Meanwhile hooked on the laptop when given throttle input, there was some error code coming from the electronic accelerator pedal. So that is also going to be replaced.
8 litres of coolant gone because of faulty radiator cap? It is hard to believe that coolant evaporates that fast !!
Old 19th March 2009, 12:11   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or maybe I can ask tata to give me a service engineer and a laptop.
I wil chain him in the boot of the car, and take him with me to all my travels.
LOL but on a serious note can you request them to get you a cable with the necessary software so that on the run you can atleast detect what's wrong?

Quote:
8 litres of coolant gone because of faulty radiator cap? It is hard to believe that coolant evaporates that fast !!
remember he kept driving without checking the radiator so there was probably enough time for the water/coolant to evaporate

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th March 2009 at 12:12.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:13   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Well, its possible - don't forget it happened over a period of time & distance. He drove all the way to Kalpa including an overnight halt, enough time for this to happen. I'm reminded of Eddy's brother's Safari issue - diagnosed as being due to a faulty cap!
Old 19th March 2009, 12:16   #846
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, its possible - don't forget it happened over a period of time & distance. He drove all the way to Kalpa including an overnight halt, enough time for this to happen. I'm reminded of Eddy's brother's Safari issue - diagnosed as being due to a faulty cap!
That is right. And it took about a month, three breakdowns, three service stations, lots of escalations and a lot of prayers to get it diagnosed. The fixing took 45 seconds
Old 19th March 2009, 12:26   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
That is right. And it took about a month, three breakdowns, three service stations, lots of escalations and a lot of prayers to get it diagnosed. The fixing took 45 seconds
And in the process, I gained an introduction to an extremely RELIABLE WORKSHOP!!!
Old 19th March 2009, 12:29   #848
Team-BHP Support

In my case it does not seem so simple.
They have found a leakage from the radiator itself, from somewhere near the battery.
So they are going to open the radiator, check for faults, and in case of any faults, change the radiator itself.
After that other issues like erratic idle on cold start, engine oil leakage, suspension noise will be looked into.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:38   #849
Team-BHP Support

Info that might help you.

I am feeling terrible about your Safari.
Its simply not right.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...blem-jeep.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Found this while searching something else but thought it might add value to the overall issue (overheating):

How To Tell if Your Car's Thermostat Is Stuck Closed | eHow.com

Step 1:Warm up the car but don't let it overheat--don't let the temperature gauge go into the red.

Step 2:Turn off the engine.

Step 3:Open the hood.

Step 4:Find the upper radiator hose. It's black, is made of rubber and is about 2 inches in diameter, with metal clamps on either end. The upper hose goes into the top of the radiator.

Step 5:Locate the lower radiator hose. It looks similar to the upper hose except that it attaches to the bottom part of the radiator.

Step 6:Touch each hose very carefully (they can be extremely hot). If the temperature gauge is indicating that the engine is warmed up but one hose is hot and the other is cold, the thermostat is probably stuck closed, and the coolant isn't circulating through the radiator.

Step 7:Have the thermostat replaced if this is the case.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:40   #850
Team-BHP Support

Atleast they found the culprit and it was a leakage afterall, ask them to change the unit, no half replacement and repairs! Hope the rest of the issues are also solved soon.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:44   #851
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok. I had the experience of old ambys and jeep where the radiator caps were lost most of the times and we used to top up with water every 2-3 weeks. The water did not evaporate that fast even though the caps were not there. May be coolant evaporates faster than water and modern day engines require more efficient cooling.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:46   #852
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Ok. I had the experience of old ambys and jeep where the radiator caps were lost most of the times and we used to top up with water every 2-3 weeks. The water did not evaporate that fast even though the caps were not there. May be coolant evaporates faster than water and modern day engines require more efficient cooling.
The rate of evaporation depends on a lot of things.
The temperature is only one of them

Humidity in the air has a big influence.
Dry air in the mountains would cause a big leap in the rate of evaporation.
Compared to Kolkata.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:50   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Atleast they found the culprit and it was a leakage afterall,
And to think of the number of pages debated about the clip & the pipe
Old 19th March 2009, 13:30   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And to think of the number of pages debated about the clip & the pipe
Almost 5 pages of pipe re engineering as I had posted earlier.

@tsk > Just a suggestion here. Will be nice if you update the entire episode of the trouble shooting in one piece. That way it is easier for the reader to make a conclusion of what the whole issue was and how it was solved. Imagine the plight of the guy who has just seen the thread. After reading through all the pages he reads about 5 pages of pipe reengineering solutions by tbhpians only to realize it was a radiator leak.
Heck, any TML guys reading this too will be put off.

cheers.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 19th March 2009 at 13:32.
Old 19th March 2009, 13:31   #855
Team-BHP Support

The pipe is also faulty. If it was not the coolant from the coolant reservoir would have vanished, and I would have filled in water and drove on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks