Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 17:21   #751
BHPian

What's happening with tsk1979 is bad, I hope he gets some kind of resolution from TATA, the amount one pays for a vechiel like the Safari is not a joke and one should expect some kind of quality coming from the manifacturer, however after reading tsk1979's story, don't feeling like owning a TATA car anywhere in the future, I think even HM cars are more reliable than TATA's.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:12   #752
BHPian

tsk1979,
Please don't mind my writing this, may be I am not well adjusted with Indian laws and regulations, but in US if acar or series of cars went lemon and manufacture did not do anything about it, a lawsuit was filed by consumer, which prompted a great media attention. Sorry if this is OT mods, but an interesting case was of Car Maker MAZDA and their model 626 Automatic version(Year 1993-1996), these had consistent problems of catylic converter failing, engine light coming up time and again, transmission replacement required every 30 to 50K miles (If you google you'd probably find a lot of literature on it). Any way the point is that couple (Hundred) of 626 PRIMARY owners filled a lawsuit against company. I am not sure what the verdict was but it got so much attention that every second American knew mazda reputation and Mazda had to stop manufacturing of 626 all together 1999 onward. Still people are vary about mazda. The reason I know this, I was the unfortunate 2nd owner of a 626 in US.
May be TATA will learn from such example.
Again Mods and tsk1979 I am sorry if I went OT, it's such that a fellow admirer of SUV's SAFARI (& yes Scorpio too!), I feel the agony of spending @ 10L on a Dream which turns into Nightmare! due to negligance of few people.
I share your pain tsk1979, and I ask all BHP-ians (SAFARI owners) to write a collective mail to TATA guys asking them to do right for tsk1979.
Regards
Old 16th March 2009, 18:39   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
It would be good if you have your own set of toolkit with spanners ranging from 8-27. Both ring and open end.
No doubt useful but, having a range of both closed and open spanners kinda gets bulky and heavy. At the least in addition to factory toolkit have these things:

1. Good quality, preferably ISI marked (e.g. Steelgrip) insulation tape a.k.a. black (or red) tape.
2. A tube of fevikwik
3. A couple of adjustable spanners 8-16 and 16-28
4. A Swiss army knife
5. A mid-size screwdriver with detachable grip (one end four-head and another flat)
6. A mid-size (~10") plier
7. A multi-meter
8. A torchlight
9. Some 1 meter or so electric cable (NOT for jump start) can double up to to tie things if needed.

This list gets extended with a set of allen keys and a set of socket spanners when I am on Bullet.

The dip-stick for engine oil can be used to lubricate few nuts in emergency.

When buying these tools, stick to well known brands like Taparia. Spurious tools can round the hex heads.

Though I haven't had to use these touch-wood, still I carry them like a first aid kit on my outstation trips.

-BJ
Old 16th March 2009, 19:01   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...a donkey, a hairy donkey, and at that time I did not realize I was actually driving a white colored non hairy donkey
Quote:
While clicking the view, and while the Safari was empty of its occupants and insurance papers, you might have prayed for it to have one more failure - of the handbrake.
Old 16th March 2009, 19:09   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
While clicking the view, and while the Safari was empty of its occupants and insurance papers, you might have prayed for it to have one more failure - of the handbrake.
My guess is Tanveer would have engaged reverse gear plus the hand brake!

BTW, I still cannot open page 2 of the travelogue. ??
Old 16th March 2009, 19:40   #756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't need electric guns but I think an electric jack is must. When I jacked her up, I realized what does a 2 ton SUV fit.
anyways an update.
A
What you need is a hydraulic jack. Go out and get one. All the boys in the 4wd circuit have one.
Old 16th March 2009, 19:51   #757
Senior - BHPian

tsk, looks like you are having a real bad time. If as most members think it is a lemon, do look at pursuing options for getting a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14
Guys you can't just blame Tata motors for a jammed bolt.
True. Especially with a vehicle which has had atleast 2 services done. Like someone mentioned, the lug-nuts might have been tightened too much at the TASS.

I recently faced the same problem with my car. Just could not loosen the lug-nuts on 2 tyres - overtightened during 20K kms service. During a tbhp meet, I even had a hefty tbhp-ian try his hand. No. It still won't budge. Infact the spanner developed a crack.
Old 16th March 2009, 21:14   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I recently faced the same problem with my car. Just could not loosen the lug-nuts on 2 tyres - overtightened during 20K kms service. During a tbhp meet, I even had a hefty tbhp-ian try his hand. No. It still won't budge. Infact the spanner developed a crack.
Over-tightened nuts mean over-stressed studs (that's a bolt without a head), which, in turn, means impaired safety. That stud can break with the dynamic forces that act on it on rough roads.
It's fine to talk about putting lubricants or grease before putting the nuts on.
The problem is that this will most likely lead to over tightening of the nut, even if done manually with a spanner.
When the coefficient of friction has been reduced (by applying oil to the stud) the tightening torque requirement reduces substantially. Do keep this in mind. It is not always the 'machine' that over-tightens a nut! The nut behind the wheel can do it unwittingly!
Old 16th March 2009, 21:27   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur
It is not always the 'machine' that over-tightens a nut! The nut behind the wheel can do it unwittingly!
Well, the way I see it is : If I were the one who 'manually' tightened the nut in the first place, I would be able to loosen it too. But if tightened by a machine, the force required to loosen it might be more than what I can manage.

But you do have a point about the 'nut behind the wheel' being the reason - and this even when a machine is doing the job. There is a torque setting to be used for tightening and if the 'nut' sets it wrong, why blame the machine ?
Old 16th March 2009, 21:37   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Well, the way I see it is : If I were the one who 'manually' tightened the nut in the first place, I would be able to loosen it too.
As a thumb rule, you'd need at least ten percent more torque to open a nut than the torque applied while tightening it.
If you used ALL you had while tightening, it stands to reason you'd not be able to open it, unless you'd gained ten percent additional strength!
Old 17th March 2009, 06:27   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Only 4 to 5 lacs extra for an Endeavour?!!! Make that 8 to 10 lacs now.......
Oops forgot to put the keyword.. a used/second hand one .

By the way Tanveer, why don't you take the media route as taken by one of our really smart members regarding his skoda..though that was a real tough step and a justified one too.
I know that the TATAs are not cheating here but just the QCs (in case they exist) are not doing a good job.Being a software professional I just wonder how does the QC manager/PM manages to get rid of all the bad feedback.Isnt he responsible to someone in the top echolons?
Old 17th March 2009, 09:48   #762
Senior - BHPian

TSK,

Still not able to view your travelogue's 2nd page, only the first page. Please move on to the third page - maybe I will have better luck there.
Old 17th March 2009, 09:54   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
TSK,

Still not able to view your travelogue's 2nd page, only the first page. Please move on to the third page - maybe I will have better luck there.
We're all in it together! AFAIK, no one is being able to access page 2.
Old 17th March 2009, 09:56   #764
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
TSK,

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
We're all in it together! AFAIK, no one is being able to access page 2.
Guys hang in there, support team is working on this and should be sorted out soon.

cheers
Jaggu

T-BHP Support
Old 17th March 2009, 09:56   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu€iFer View Post
By the way Tanveer, why don't you take the media route as taken by one of our really smart members regarding his skoda..though that was a real tough step and a justified one too.
How about publishing one pager on Tanveer's troubles with Safari, in AUTOCAR INDIA?
@GTO: Please suggest!

Cheers,
Deepak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks