Old 15th March 2009, 15:23   #676

DAMN... again???
whats the car upto? tanveer, its high time you demand a replacement. its highly unlikely that you may actually get one but then you can fight your case.
whats the point in keeping this car now? will you ever be able to trust her now? will you wander on lonely highways anymore? will you go offroading with this one who cant handle smooth highways?
waiting for the details... what was the problem? what did A.S.S say?
Old 15th March 2009, 15:24   #677

From horse to donkey... how did you manage to do that.
Your scenario does sound scary and discouraging from the perspective of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere without connectivity.
You do have a travelogue to pen which is some saving grace.
Awaiting....

PS> in no way am i trying to poke fun at your situation. Im just amused at the way you change the name of your thread ever so often and the many examples from the animal kingdom you refer your safari with.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 15th March 2009 at 15:25.
Old 15th March 2009, 15:47   #678

no problem jay. Its no horse, its a donkey, that too a diseased one. I am going to ask customer care for assistance.
The problem was with a rubber pipe which somehow got a bend on its own(how does that happen, I dunno).
And not only that, it has even started leaking oil. Like dogs mark their territory.
So you may get to hear some more names from animal kingdom shortly.

The sum is that I have got a lemon, and I have already written to senior guys at TML asking for a replacement. I don't have much hope from them.

As for going on long drives, I think I will sell the indica and buy an alto. This vehicle is not fit to go more than 20kms from a TASC
Old 15th March 2009, 16:15   #679

Btw, is there anything like a SUG ? A Safari User's group ? Is this the only 4x4 Safari that's giving problems like this ? And being Tanveer's Safari, the visibility is so much more on TBHP. .
Condor, I don't think this has anything to do with the fact that his Safari is a 4x4. The 4x4 is mechanically identical to the 2WD except for the T-Case, Front differentials and front suspension. The problems he has been having has been with the Engine components like Injectors/etc... These components are the same across both 2WD and 4WD. Unfortunately Tanweer must have got a really bad piece.
Old 15th March 2009, 19:26   #680

From the very first day when the fuse blew out till now - it has never given you total peace of mind - thats my opinion.

Time for a change .. ?
Old 15th March 2009, 19:35   #681

Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
Time for a change .. ?
Sandeep, how do you mean 'time for a change'?
There's ten big ones tied up there!
Old 15th March 2009, 19:40   #682

This vehicle is not fit to go more than 20kms from a TASC
I am waiting eagerly for my return from canada to buy a safari...But Tanveer's thread is giving me jitters.

Can all the safari owners put our bouqets n brickbats in a single thread saying that if given an option to change their horse/donkey...would they???
Old 15th March 2009, 19:42   #683

Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
From the very first day when the fuse blew out till now - it has never given you total peace of mind - thats my opinion.

Time for a change .. ?
I think tsk1979 already has posted some little thing going on in his mind.
From what I understand, there can be two meanings:
1) Get another car.
2) Get a replacement .

1)

As for going on long drives, I think I will sell the indica and buy an alto. This vehicle is not fit to go more than 20kms from a TASC
2) Tsk1979 has already pushed in for one. I think even if it leads to court battle, dont back off. I know its easier said than done, but its necessary as its around one million rupees that are being roughed up.

As soon as I was going through this thread, I had asked in one of my posts if this was a lemon. My worst fears have come true. This car is indeed a lemon sold off.
I shudder to think of those who dont have a PDI list and the chances of them getting cheated.
Old 15th March 2009, 20:44   #684

The sum is that I have got a lemon, and I have already written to senior guys at TML asking for a replacement. I don't have much hope from them.
After going through the labyrinth of purchase, head & heart decisions and most importantly spending 'ten big ones' for owning one piece of a machinery, and getting back this in result .., no words can explain what you must have been going through!
Old 15th March 2009, 20:45   #685

Originally Posted by Lu€iFer View Post
I am waiting eagerly for my return from canada to buy a safari...But Tanveer's thread is giving me jitters.

Can all the safari owners put our bouqets n brickbats in a single thread saying that if given an option to change their horse/donkey...would they???
If Toyota can give me a 4x4 with equivalent power space and mile munching cruising and 4x4 ability and service support with warranty for around the same price as the Safari Ex 4x4 then im ready to switch.
Though I think it will be a long time before such a dream can be turned to reality. Atleast 2-3 yrs.
We, in India honestly have no REAL options.
Looking back, it was a similar analysis that prompted Tanveer to buy his and ditto for me.
You may choose to wait for Christmas.
Old 15th March 2009, 20:46   #686

@Tanveer
Bhai push them for replacement.I think (as mentioned earlier)you have enough of this vehicle.
why not start by giving the reference of this thread to some senior officials.
I think this thread has all the references of problems faced by you.or if you can give them the exact dates of your visit with a copies of service center jobcards.

just my two cents.
Old 15th March 2009, 21:40   #687

I will let my imagination run wild here:

One of the coolant circulation was bent which led to blocked/low circulation of coolant so as soon as your Safari had to labour, the temperature rose beyond normal which signalled the ECU of overheating and the ECU went into limp-home mode to protect the engine from ceasing.

The behaviour of the ECU is acceptable but the only mystery is how come the pipe was bent, it cannot bend on its own, unless it was fitted wrongly during your recent changes.

On highways the speed pushes more air into the radiator and keeps it cool but during a climb the fan has to do the job but under low circulation it might not be able to cope up with the required cooling.
Old 15th March 2009, 21:49   #688

The pipe is flimsy rubber. It is held in place by an equally flimsy hook.
Somehow due to vibrations etc., it came out of the hook, and was "free"
This the bend could happen.
But the funny thing is that temp guage always stood around half mark. It seems that there was little coolant in radiator, and ECU pushed engine into limp home mode.
Even the service guy had to do lot of hit and trial before he finally found the real problem.
And the day before I had driven for 8 hours, first to Sangla, then sangla to Kalpa. Thats like climbing 890mts to 2800mts, then down to 1700mts and then upto 2800mts

And that was not the end of it, after we filled in paperwork at solan, the rear tire sidewall somehow shredded. I stopped immediately, and tried to change the tire, but two nuts are jammed.
A truck driver comes to help. he can't. Then a bus guy tries even he can't
Called helpline, and for more than an hour all I hear is help will come shortly, but nobody is there in sight.
Then another truck comes, and the guys have a longer spanner which is a very very snug fit on the nut. They put some water on the nut, then 2 of them stand on it, and finally it rotates.
We reach home at around 5:30am, and we started from Kalpa at 10:45am, and filled diesel at recong Peo at 11:30am
Imagine, 13 hours on the road and you get a puncture, then the damn nuts have jammed, you waste 3 hours, and finally hit home in morning.
Heck we had to modify our holiday plans because of this thing.
I really should have bought scorpio or innova or maybe a second hand vitara or something.
Old 15th March 2009, 22:49   #689

Tanveer Bhai, not finding words (scared of infarction) to express my anger over all this BS...how can they cheat us like this...talk to a lawyer and send a legal notice, demanding replacement, to TML. Hadh ho gayi yaar!

Last edited by deepgautam_qa : 15th March 2009 at 22:50.
Old 15th March 2009, 22:53   #690

I really find this problem very absurd.

Its gone through a lot, a puncture , jammed wheel nuts, loosing coolant, hoses breaking.

Any vehicle is subjected to puncture.

I really have no words to describe who's at fault.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 15th March 2009 at 22:59.