Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2009, 19:55   #541
Team-BHP Support

The Lucas engineers were getting a new FP from their werehouse. They say they always use brand new parts for such testing. I don't think "Swapping" and trying is allowed officially.
Since its TML and Lucas guys working here, everything they try is new
Old 1st March 2009, 20:20   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Today morning I took her to the workshop. Lucas guys came there along with a customer care manager from Tata.
They changed all the injectors and high pressure lines.
After that they did TD, and the service light came on again.
Now they are getting a new fuel pump, but this will be testing on monday.

So in a nutshell, they do not have any idea what is the problem, and they are replacing everything which they think is the culprit.
Next stop if Fuel pump change does not bring in desired results, they will try changing ECU
1) I doubt if the injectors were really an issue.

2) Baffled by the fact : the next in line is fuel pump to be replaced.

3) What are the Tata and Lucas guys are trying to achieve ? Gaining more experience at somebody's vehicle's cost /

4) This is more than sufficient from a vehicle that costs so much and, though I am negative again, I am now sure this was a wrong piece sold off to you.

5) Demand a replacement of this vehicle.

6) Dont know about others, but I cannot trust this specific machine and manufacturer in future. Gave this thread's link to two more people who came to me for asking about Vista and and Safari ( yes Safari ) respectively.

Even reading this much gives me frustration. As a matter of fact, even our Rs. 45K two wheeler was more reliable. Its height of poor reliability and Tata has redefined this.

A manufacturer can afford to this and get away with impunity only in India, it looks like.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 1st March 2009 at 20:32.
Old 1st March 2009, 21:20   #543
Senior - BHPian

hi tanveer,
since replacement of the vehicle is out of question, have you considered selling your vehicle & buying a new one? even a diesel saloon will be more economical. sorry to say, but you cant really trust a vehicle with so many issues so early in its life. so is it really worth using a vehicle you cant drive with a peace of mind?

if you dont intend to sell this car, lets hope that this issue gets solved ASAP & your beloved does not give you any more reasons to complain. happy motoring...
Old 1st March 2009, 21:28   #544
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, very sad to see Safari giving so many problems, Sorry I am late to join in.

I have no technical suggestions, I hope your truck come back to shape, instead of you selling it off.
Old 1st March 2009, 21:40   #545
Team-BHP Support

I don't intend to sell this car. I am only hoping that all the parts which are faulty get changed. After that I do not expect any new problems. If problem saga does not stop, then I will have to ask them to replace the vehicle, nicely at first
Old 1st March 2009, 21:43   #546
BANNED

Really very sorry state of affairs, try to get rid of the vehicle & invest in something reliable!
Your Safari being relatively new, could fetch good bucks, but as it gets old, resale deteriorates fast.

Oh read your post just now, if you do not intend to sell, pressurise Tata to replace all the faulty parts quickly & then pray that problems do not resurface!

Last edited by bhp1 : 1st March 2009 at 21:45.
Old 1st March 2009, 21:55   #547
Senior - BHPian

Steer had similar issue. They couldnt find the problem coz they just followed the error codes.
Sometimes hands-on experience matters than errors on lcd screen.
Old 1st March 2009, 22:00   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
6) Dont know about others, but I cannot trust this specific machine and manufacturer in future. Gave this thread's link to two more people who came to me for asking about Vista and and Safari ( yes Safari ) respectively.
Being considerably older, I have seen and heard about such dramas from many sources in my life.
It has thus been my resolve to give this advice to people and I personally have stayed away from these very attractive propositions that Tata always offer.

I feel sad when people like Tanveer (private owners) get hit. One of the reasons why I have always believed that taxi operators picking up a vehicle is a huge tribute to a vehicle! An individual cannot go wrong buying such vehicles.
Old 1st March 2009, 22:04   #549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Instead, I think, buying Safari makes more sense- for its style, comfort and above all price- than Endy, and with balance ~7L money one could additionally buy a tractor too- to haul your Safari back home if you are stranded. This avoids SPOF at the same price of Endy

Guys, on a more serious note, TML is offering free 24x7 on road assistance in association with TVS Service for all passenger cars (incl Safari) sold from Feb 2009+. This service is available out of city limits too and can bail you out if you are stranded. I think this is a useful and commendable endeavor (not the Endy type) from TML. Existing customers can register for this service against a nominal fee.
With such flawed logic, may the Gods be kind! Why just limit the recovery team to a tractor alone? Why not a full fledged mobile workshop?

Also, isnt road side assistance provided by most manufacturers these days? Also, even if the assistance is available at some out of city limit where there is no habitation and no network coverage you're still doomed.
Old 1st March 2009, 23:26   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
They ordered new injectors without being sure it was the culprit because they couldn't "swap" with another set of injectors(?). Similarly, because of the VIN built-in in the the ECU, I don't think you can swap the ECU either. (Correct me if I am wrong here, when they put my car on the analyser, it gave the engine no. / VIN).

In the case of fuel pump, will they replace or test with a spare and then change?

What if the Service Light is still glowing even after that?

I am sorry, but this incident has really shaken the confidence people (including me) had on Tata. I knew they were never perfect, but not this bad. And, at a good and cooperative TASC like Autolinks, too.
Frightening to say the least!! and never heard of such trial and error method on a sold car... so what will they do with the faulty parts.. fit them in another car and try again... recycling at its best??
Old 2nd March 2009, 00:10   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
since replacement of the vehicle is out of question,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
. I am only hoping that all the parts which are faulty get changed. After that I do not expect any new problems. If problem saga does not stop, then I will have to ask them to replace the vehicle, nicely at first
Can the entire engine be replaced ? I think this can be a good option or rather solution. After the initial mechanical issues were sorted out, this is the only remaining problem. They are not able to solve it. And what more proof does Tata need before replacing the engine. Worn out rings, bent valves, cracked block ?
This is not a test mule for applying the philosophy of trail and error method. As anupmathur has pointed out, this is private owner's car facing reliability related problems not being solved. And its not matter of a week or fortnight, since long they are not able to solve the problem. Its fortunate that A.S & S. is not acting in negative direction, supporting the customer as much as it can. A bad dealer would have been worse.

Tsk1979 , I appreciate your patience and positive attitude. If I were in your place, I would have spoiled the entire case losing my temper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

It has thus been my resolve to give this advice to people and I personally have stayed away from these very attractive propositions that Tata always offer.

I feel sad when people like Tanveer (private owners) get hit. One of the reasons why I have always believed that taxi operators picking up a vehicle is a huge tribute to a vehicle! An individual cannot go wrong buying such vehicles.
The worst part of all this is the poor state of law and order in India thus no support from manufacturer. Its not the end of it, the private owners also have to shell out time and money just to get the vehicle back on the road in running condition. And yes, I too now believe for Tata vehicles, Prevention is better than cure. Earlier it was the thread " Protest Agaisnt Tata Motors " and now this thread.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 2nd March 2009 at 00:14.
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:38   #552
Senior - BHPian

TSK,

You are an patient person friend! Three cheers to you!
I only hope they end this open ended trials soon and sort out the problem ASAP!!
Very pathetic service from TATA!! Shame on them!!
Old 2nd March 2009, 09:58   #553
Senior - BHPian

OMG. And I thought that you were busy mile munching on Sunday!

Quote:
5) Demand a replacement of this vehicle.
And what's the guarantee that the same (or maybe other) issue may not happen on the replacement?
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:54   #554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Steer had similar issue. They couldnt find the problem coz they just followed the error codes.
Sometimes hands-on experience matters than errors on lcd screen.
In Steeroids case it was the incompetent workshop, so he could escalate it. Where do I escalate it to. The workshop on seeing error codes called the Delphi and Lucas guys. These are the Delphi/Lucas engineers who are floudering here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
With such flawed logic, may the Gods be kind! Why just limit the recovery team to a tractor alone? Why not a full fledged mobile workshop?

Also, isnt road side assistance provided by most manufacturers these days? Also, even if the assistance is available at some out of city limit where there is no habitation and no network coverage you're still doomed.
Safari EX 4x4 has no competition. Thats the reason I am in such a mess.
Quote:
Can the entire engine be replaced ? I think this can be a good option or rather solution. After the initial mechanical issues were sorted out, this is the only remaining problem. They are not able to solve it. And what more proof does Tata need before replacing the engine. Worn out rings, bent valves, cracked block ?
This is not a test mule for applying the philosophy of trail and error method. As anupmathur has pointed out, this is private owner's car facing reliability related problems not being solved. And its not matter of a week or fortnight, since long they are not able to solve the problem. Its fortunate that A.S & S. is not acting in negative direction, supporting the customer as much as it can. A bad dealer would have been worse.

Tsk1979 , I appreciate your patience and positive attitude. If I were in your place, I would have spoiled the entire case losing my temper.

The worst part of all this is the poor state of law and order in India thus no support from manufacturer. Its not the end of it, the private owners also have to shell out time and money just to get the vehicle back on the road in running condition. And yes, I too now believe for Tata vehicles, Prevention is better than cure. Earlier it was the thread " Protest Agaisnt Tata Motors " and now this thread.
The workshop is the only saving grace here. I believe Tata does not have a QC dept. So getting a new vehicle may actually not be a blessing. If I can get all the faulty or suspected parts replaced, that will be good for now. As for the future no idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
TSK,

You are an patient person friend! Three cheers to you!
I only hope they end this open ended trials soon and sort out the problem ASAP!!
Very pathetic service from TATA!! Shame on them!!
I also hope so!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
OMG. And I thought that you were busy mile munching on Sunday!

And what's the guarantee that the same (or maybe other) issue may not happen on the replacement?
I hope that the new parts they fit are free from problems. Today noon I will get to know whether FP change made the error codes go away!
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:00   #555
BANNED

tsk1979, this may be a shot in the dark but can you ask them to 'swap' / replace the wiring harness and check?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks