Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 15:48   #436
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Thats turbo whistle. We are talking about bearing/mechanical noise

I was talking about on a normal road , not off roading scenario.
I feel you can call it Moaning sound than a simple whine.

But are'nt these components made to withstand the harshest test conditions, or is this kind of problem with a certain batch of Safari's off the assembly line.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:01   #437
Senior - BHPian

4x4 whine is not abnormal. I get it on 4L, I havent noticed it on 4H so far, but that could be because the terrain I use it on is such that road and suspension noise cover up any other.

I agree with Jay on 4H speeds, I've been told the same but there is nothing to this effect in the manual (I havent read it in any great detail, though :( ) - this was also my first question to TSK.

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th January 2009 at 16:02.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:20   #438
Team-BHP Support

After the repair of 4x4 at 7500kms, the fastest I drove on 4H was 20kmph. So I don't think that spring crack is speed related.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:25   #439
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for clarifying my doubts.

I am going to do extensive testing and use of my 4wd in Feb. I should most likely be able to deduce for once and all how effective 4wd is and works in a Safari. Hrag has already tested it well enough and I hope to push the bar a wee bit more. The challenges i plan to include are soft river beds, semi dry marshland, rocky terrain, undulating steep climbs on soft mud and anything else that i happen to find.
Location is classified until I post the results later next month.
Old 15th January 2009, 10:48   #440
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, thought I'd highlight Ishan's post on another thread - this was when he attended the Xylo launch (in his new capacity of a journo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

P.S. According to the top honchos of Marketing, the 4x4 2.2 mHawk should be out in the market in about 3 months or so.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:09   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The challenges i plan to include are
Just for quick cross reference lets do this:
  • soft river beds CHECK
  • semi dry marshland, CHECK
  • rocky terrain, CHECK
  • undulating steep climbs on soft mud CHECK
  • anything else that i happen to find. Same here but we cant compare indescribables to unknowns.
IMHO I dont think this thread calls for a revalidation of the Safari's 4x4 capabilities. The mad men in Italy have done all this and a lot worse - on the 2.2, on the 3.0 AND on the older 2 litre TCIC. Many of us here (hrag, drkats, jyobeb, myself and several others) are also well aware of what it can do, and there really is no reason to be restating the obvious for Tanvir's sake. Tanvir has an issue which needs to be sorted out, there is no reason for those that have done 50k plus over punishing terrain to prove things all over again..

I suggest we let this thread be until he reports some progress, which is not likely until he is back in February.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th January 2009 at 11:18.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:28   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Thank you all for clarifying my doubts.

I am going to do extensive testing and use of my 4wd in Feb. I should most likely be able to deduce for once and all how effective 4wd is and works in a Safari. Hrag has already tested it well enough and I hope to push the bar a wee bit more. The challenges i plan to include are soft river beds, semi dry marshland, rocky terrain, undulating steep climbs on soft mud and anything else that i happen to find.
Location is classified until I post the results later next month.
you should try the munnar offroading track it has all your needs... but frankly dont think the safari can take the beating on that track.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:56   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
you should try the munnar offroading track it has all your needs... but frankly dont think the safari can take the beating on that track.
Horses for courses. I would be surprised if any of the owners here have delusions that the truck can be used for hard-core trail driving.

That said, it can do most stuff except the extreme (the Italians do extreme - stuff that would make the Munnar trail look like a walk in the park, but they run modified Safaris with lift kits) and after that shake off the mud and do (for instance) a Cochin-Bangalore run in 7 hours and in supreme comfort too. I'd like to see the trail-riders do that.

That sort of usage is what this vehicle is meant for. Drive up to Vagamon from Cochin, reach the destination fresh and ready to hit the trail, drive up and down the rocky stream below the pine woods, kick up some mud in the muddy slopes around and when you're finished you can unpack the tent, the picnic blanket, the mattress, the chairs and the beer cooler sitting in the back and relax with the family. At the end of the day drive you back to Cochin at 100-120kmph on the superb MC Road surface and get back home fresh.

You can do all of these using the abovementioned 'trail' vehicles, but you will need a support vehicle to carry your stuff and to relax in on the drive back while someone else drives the trail vehicle back. Else you can pretend to be tough and rough it out + leave the family & comforts back home, which takes away most of the fun.

You can also do all of the above in one vehicle by paying Rs.35 lakhs and upwards. For the 25 lakhs + extra you will also get peace of mind and a niggle-free ownership experience alongwith a few more comforts and higher levels of refinement.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th January 2009 at 12:06.
Old 15th January 2009, 12:07   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

That said, it can do most stuff except the extreme and after that shake off the mud and do (for instance) a Cochin-Bangalore run in 7 hours and in supreme comfort too. I'd like to see the trail-riders do that.
Very well said.

Quote:
You can also do all of the above in one vehicle by paying Rs.35 lakhs and upwards. For the 25 lakhs + extra you will also get peace of mind and a niggle-free ownership experience alongwith a few more comforts and higher levels of refinement.
Hmmm..., aren't we forgetting Pajero here ?
Old 15th January 2009, 13:06   #445
BHPian

tanveer bhai
i am not sure whether i should ask this:but how is the reputation of DADA MOTORS?
since you have not written about the dealer`s experience apart from the loan part/
and other problems.
are there any other bhpians who had similar experience with DADA MOTOTRS.
Old 15th January 2009, 13:13   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Very well said.

Hmmm..., aren't we forgetting Pajero here ?
And Scorpio 4x4, GV....
These are surely capable of doing terrains mentioned in this thread with high level of ease and comfort (and are sub 16 lakh vehicles) and without niggles (that this thread is all about).
Old 15th January 2009, 13:23   #447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
tanveer bhai
i am not sure whether i should ask this:but how is the reputation of DADA MOTORS?
since you have not written about the dealer`s experience apart from the loan part/
and other problems.
are there any other bhpians who had similar experience with DADA MOTOTRS.
If you go to the beginning of the thread, you will find that apart from loan fiasco(where HDFC bank is also to blame), there were some other problems related to PDI
1. engine oil was less in the car, I had to get it topped up at first service
2. Rattles in brand new vehicle, I got them fixed later
3. First day all the electricals died
4. they should have caught the suspension bush noise
5. When I pointed out the fogged fog lamp(happened on day 1) they said its normal and not to worry, this happens. Only later at Dhingra during first service it was replaced
6. The service book came more than 2 months later!
So I will not give them a good rating. A good service center does not tell the customer "This is normal" but tries to correct the problem.

The positive side is the hefty discount we got, at that time nobody was giving more than 10K discounts, and I got 20K+ (Things are different now with 35K discounts in the offing)
Old 15th January 2009, 14:56   #448
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I can whole heartedly empathise with what tsk is going through.

I am in a similar boat.

You spend your hard earned money on a 10 lac plus car & spend enven more on visiting the dealership / service center, not to mention the amount of time that is wasted and the mental anguish that accompanies.

For those who are not aware, more on my woes with my new mHawk
you can see what I mean
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...vlx-mhawk.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
And Scorpio 4x4, GV....
These are surely capable of doing terrains mentioned in this thread with high level of ease and comfort (and are sub 16 lakh vehicles) and without niggles (that this thread is all about).
Anand i hope the above link answers you.

Lets not deviate from the thread, we are talking about Tanveer's Safari in particular and lets keep it limited there.

I've always reiterated that all cars do have niggles and problems.

All we need to learn from this thread is how Tanveer went about with his dealership and TATA motors in getting his problems sorted out.

At the end of the day Tanveer's Safari will sure come out in flying colors and hopefully more and more travelogues on Safari to follow from his side

Lets wish him and his car a speedy recovery.cheers:
Old 15th January 2009, 15:06   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The positive side is the hefty discount we got, at that time nobody was giving more than 10K discounts, and I got 20K+ (Things are different now with 35K discounts in the offing)
Not sure if Ankit is trying to point out that DADA MOTORS has knowingly sold you a lemon.

Maybe really OT but just see my reaction to something that Pavan put up -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post1131338

That's a brand new, unregistered 4x4 being given the treatment.

Last edited by suman : 15th January 2009 at 15:08.
Old 15th January 2009, 15:20   #450
BHPian

Off Topic,..but does'nt the engine light come on when the engine is nearing stall speeds !! The service light comes on in my City as well,....just while the rpm drops below 1000 (the stall speed of my car)

Last edited by Torque-ative : 15th January 2009 at 15:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks