Team-BHP - Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Safari EX 4x4 120,000 km update (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/43105-safari-ex-4x4-120-000-km-update-2.html)

Congrats Tanveer Bhai on your new ride and definitely the beast is looking nice. Sorry to hear about some minor hiccups you had and all the best and drive safe.

Congratulations.

Great narration. But in reality it would have been more irritating.
The small niggling issues clearly indicate that TATA needs some more QC quickly.

The FE of 10.5 kmpl before first service is certainly not that bad, IMO.
Isnt that 30 second idling supposed to be 1 or 2 minutes ( I can be wrong here ).

tsk1979, what colour is this? If it is Pearl White, I'm not able to figure out why it looks so different from my Pearl White.

The horn does sound muted when inside with windows rolled up. It does sound loud on the outside. But then, I have always been satisfied with the stock horn.

Quote:

How many of you noticed the AC switch off and on at idle on throttle input
Didn't quite get this.

Congratulations and a note on braking - under panic braking, try your best not to turn the steering wheel to either side even a little.

Congratulations TSK! White looks simply awesome on the Safari, and compliments dark tints + alloys even more (hint hint :)). Go out and shod her with some really slick alloys & good rubber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 918328)
I idle her for 30seconds before marching(every engine shutoff), and for 30 seconds before switching off the ignition key.
Its mentioned clearly in the downloaded owners manual.

Practice this with the utmost discipline. Even if its not mentioned in the owners manual, I still idle my turbodiesel Benz / Indigo religiously for 30 - 60 seconds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 918171)
I turn on the parking lights, and then click, lights go off. Punjab is having a lot of power cuts, and our safari just had one. Luckily dealer is on the way, and we head there.
The electrician says she's blown 5 fuses,

Man, this really and truly sucks!! But then, you knew what you were getting into. Tata really needs to pull up their socks on the Safari's QC, more so when its their flagship car and the cheaper Indica / Indigo don't report as many issues. Good luck with getting them sorted out.

Quote:

Weeeee Even restricted to 2500rpm of running in, its a lot!
Restrict for the first coupla hundred kms, but then start stretching her legs. Gradually. Diesels feel very restrictive when new, but totally *open up* once the kms are logged on.

Quote:

Another thing I am noticing is that when you turn the steering wheel such that its near the limit(its still not completely at the limit, just very near) there is some noise of power steering pump or something?
Is it normal?
Noticed this in all Safari's & Sierra's that I have driven.

Congrats again. Wish you and Mrs. TSK1979 many kms of safe touring. Time to get rid of the Indica then?

Congrats, tsk1979, on your purchase!!!
Sad to hear about the initial niggles. Hopefully, the car will be just fine from now.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 918272)
there is some noise of power steering pump or something? Is it normal?

The hissing sound at steering full lock position seems abnormally normal with most Safari's. Preferred not mention about it during the first service too. The power steering otherwise "feel"s just fine.
Getting the same fuel consumption that you mentioned, in city driving conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 918339)
Try the setting in the HU. Play it at 12-15-17:D to 'hear bass'

Tried everything. I am comparing it against my indica which has Pioneer HU, 2 coaxials on the rear tray, and 4 speakers on the front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 918288)
Congrats, Tanveer. Sad to hear of your blown fuses and stuff - this should've been picked up by the Dealer if they had tested the car before delivery. Did they just clean the car and deliver to you? This however is no excuse for QC at the factory!

Thanks steer!
The did a TD, a pretty long one. I also drove around for 15-20kms with and without parking lights on, and after that the fuse blew!

Quote:

My sump guard is slightly tilted, too. I went through the same rigmarole with my dealer.
At full lock, most power steering units make a bit of noise. At full lock, though - not approaching full lock.
I think you're going to have a lot of questions.
In mine the hissing starts near full lock, not at full lock. Guess first service tome it is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 918351)
Congratulations.

Great narration. But in reality it would have been more irritating.
The small niggling issues clearly indicate that TATA needs some more QC quickly.

The FE of 10.5 kmpl before first service is certainly not that bad, IMO.
Isnt that 30 second idling supposed to be 1 or 2 minutes ( I can be wrong here ).

The owners manual says 30 seconds. Even after idle for 30 seconds, I ensure that for about a minute more I do not exceed 1500rpm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 (Post 918359)
tsk1979, what colour is this? If it is Pearl White, I'm not able to figure out why it looks so different from my Pearl White.
The horn does sound muted when inside with windows rolled up. It does sound loud on the outside. But then, I have always been satisfied with the stock horn.

Its called camera trick :p
I have a roots horn in the indica, so obvious comparisons!
Quote:

Didn't quite get this.
Congratulations and a note on braking - under panic braking, try your best not to turn the steering wheel to either side even a little.
Thanks!
Try this. At a quite place stand outside when she's idling, switch on the AC and hear for the click. Now ask someone to tap the accelerator repeatedly, even exceeding 1200rpms or so. You will hear the compressor cycling off and on.
As for panic braking in any tata car you dare not touch the steering!
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 918383)
Congratulations TSK! White looks simply awesome on the Safari, and compliments dark tints + alloys even more (hint hint :)). Go out and shod her with some really slick alloys & good rubber.

Thanks GTO! After HDFC monkeys reduced my loan amount after the blue, all accessory fitting will have to wait. However I am trying to budget in an AMP and subwoofer if possible
Quote:

Practice this with the utmost discipline. Even if its not mentioned in the owners manual, I still idle my turbodiesel Benz / Indigo religiously for 30 - 60 seconds.
Yup will take care of this always
Quote:

Man, this really and truly sucks!! But then, you knew what you were getting into. Tata really needs to pull up their socks on the Safari's QC, more so when its their flagship car and the cheaper Indica / Indigo don't report as many issues. Good luck with getting them sorted out.
Restrict for the first coupla hundred kms, but then start stretching her legs. Gradually. Diesels feel very restrictive when new, but totally *open up* once the kms are logged on.
Hopefully this is the only problem! As for couple of hundred kms, she's already done 600, and by end of this week I will have her in for first service.
Time to ping Gurgaon!
Quote:

Congrats again. Wish you and Mrs. TSK1979 many kms of safe touring. Time to get rid of the Indica then?
Thanks GTO!, but the indica stays. For in city jaunts the safari is real cumbersome. We are still not confident about our width judgement and the turning circle is humongous!
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkamath (Post 918391)
Congrats, tsk1979, on your purchase!!!
Sad to hear about the initial niggles. Hopefully, the car will be just fine from now.
The hissing sound at steering full lock position seems abnormally normal with most Safari's. Preferred not mention about it during the first service too. The power steering otherwise "feel"s just fine.
Getting the same fuel consumption that you mentioned, in city driving conditions.

Thanks dk, I got the FE in 50% highway driving at 90-110kmph. Hopefully the first service will take care of this

A question guys, I plan to purchase 7.5L of castrol GTX diesel(this oil is also mentioned in owners manual) and get it changed. Do Tata service centers do choo chaa on this? Most Tata service centers have Castrol GTD and no ways I am going to let them put in that thing in the car.
Also, the oil change is at 15000kms, and not 1000, but I am still going for it. So do I need to get oil filter changed?

Since Castrol GTX Diesel appears in TATA's approved list,I don't think the dealer will mind it.I had a hard time in convincing my TASC to fill Mobil Delvac MX though.So it varies from TASC to TASC I guess.

Thanks,
rb2399

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 918272)
Another thing I am noticing is that when you turn the steering wheel such that its near the limit(its still not completely at the limit, just very near) there is some noise of power steering pump or something?
Is it normal?

Practically every American car I drove had this sound. If the power assist feel is uniform and vibration free suggest you not insist they try to remove the sound as it can screw things up more. Its more a design quirk and one best we live with than lose our hair trying to fix.

Congrats TSK!!. I'm waiting for you to complete the run-in. Shake her well early, so that all loose stuff come off within warranty period itself.

Hope you hit the Himalayas soon.Looking at the places you have covered on your Indica, I guess you'd aim for K2. Good luck!! cheers:

Congrats on your new Safari tsk :thumbs up
Here's wishing you trouble free motoring cheers:

Ah TSK, congrats on the buy. Unfortunate that there were initial issues with the bank and the ride. But then, at the end of the day you have your 2.2 in hand! :-)

Wish you many many miles of safe and happy motoring!

PS: Did you try out the 4x4 anywhere? A bit of off-roading will be good.

Thanks for your wishes guys, I tried 4H at a couple of places where there was a lot of slush. However I have seen that with LSD, you don't need 4x4 at many places.

if its a 9870 , keep the audio /RTN button pressed to go into Advanced settings mode. try moving the bass frequency from the default 80 to 100 might help :)

the bass blockers arent installed these days right?

Congrats Tanveer Bhai
As you would find on the forum, I am also in Line to buy one quite similar to yours, (Being an Ex HDFC Bank guy , would get the loan from SBIlol:).

Private banks have their own whims and fancies for Car upgradation.
BTW How much did the EX cost you at DADA Motors, Know the owner through some aquaintance, is there any good offer available. EX Showroom Price would gimme a fair Idea of what to expect from SBI as they fund upto 85% OTR Value (Yes incl accessories and Ins)

Good Looking beauty of a Car and once your judgement upon width and perception of distance settles in, you would love flying this devil on highways

Cheers.........

Go ahead with your purchase rohit. If you want discount negotiations at Dada, PM me.
As for the dealership itself, they are a little slow and confused in finance dept. So insurance and finance be best done from outside. I go a quote which was a whopping 5K lower than the best Dada guy could give me.
So Bajaj allianze is the insurance.

Ex showroom price of EX 4x4 is 10.02L in Punjab and reg tax is 2%. I presume chd is similar.