Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2008, 18:38   #241
Senior - BHPian

Hey Tanveer, saw your car in sec 62 near Fortis hospital last thursday. Recognised it by the bullbar and fog lights since i was going through this thread the night before. Keep munching the miles!!!!
Old 17th December 2008, 01:00   #242
BHPian

tsk1979,
sure its a its a great feeling to own a safari. I need your views on 4x4
Ho often do you use 4x4 and does it really helps in our daily or normal driving. What is the FE you get.
Thanks
Kiren
Old 17th December 2008, 10:08   #243
BHPian

[quote=GTO;918383]Congratulations TSK! White looks simply awesome on the Safari, and compliments dark tints + alloys even more (hint hint ). Go out and shod her with some really slick alloys & good rubber.

Which are the best tyres for a safari (size & make)?
Old 17th December 2008, 10:52   #244
Team-BHP Support

No need to get 4x4 unless you plan to do some serious offroading.
Over these 8000kms the average FE is around 10.9
Old 17th December 2008, 11:08   #245
BHPian

interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
4. Fishtailing under hard braking even at medium speeds - Pressure release valve adjusted, now is much less

hey tanveer,

this is an interesting bit of information... need to get it looked at in my safari as well. on our way back from spiti, the girl spun a full 180 degrees in the middle of the highway under emergency braking (with a full load of camping equipment and wife and kids too.) at one point i actually thought i was going to flip the ruddy thing, thankfully she swayed and managed to stay upright - just facing the way we had just come!!!

agreed that it was with me zipping at about 120, but it has made me a lot more circumspect about any sort of quick driving on highways on our many trips. i really really wish that vehicles of this size just come with abs as standard... make the consumer pay - but just make it standard . it'll stop people killing themselves more often.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:17   #246
Team-BHP Support

Even ABS won't help in this case I think. For example, in my case there is no rear lockup now, but hard braking means she pulls towards the right side.
Our 3.0 had the same issue, eventually servicing the rear master cylinder and brake drums solved the issue.
I plan to wait for a little while, and then again ping Tata.
The funny thing is that not once Tata has asked me how did the service or repair experience go.
Maybe they laid off the customer service staff?
Old 17th December 2008, 11:25   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm....another fishtailing Safari..Is this generic problem? May be Tanveer can start a poll thread or Add a poll here? There are many Safari owners so we could get a fairly good sample. Solution would be simple as Tanveer has found but needs awareness from drivers.

Point is not ABS or lack of it. Without ABS you may end up locking and take longer to brake but if a vehicle handling demands additional input in an already emergency situation (why else you would be braking hard?) it is sure recipe for disaster waiting to happen.

Quote:
taks1979: Maybe they laid off the customer service staff?
Maybe wishful thinking on your part ;-0

Last edited by sudev : 17th December 2008 at 11:26.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:29   #248
Senior - BHPian

while nothing as dramatic as Tanveer's or BtB's experiences, I too have faced fishtailing on one occassion on my Safari.

a tavera cut across into my path and I had to brake hard to avoid contact and my truck's tail stepped out to the left- nothing that a bit of opposite lock didnt correct though. the speed was about 80 kph.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:39   #249
Senior - BHPian

i never had this fishtailing problem till date in my 3.0 but while it was new it used to make hell lot of tyre screeching noise even on moderate braking,but that seems to subside as of now.

Still lot to be desired in braking in safari,there are lot of times when i'm cruising beyond 110-120,and i have to brake hard so many times i have to sway left/right to avoid hitting the vehicle ahead as the beast wont stop straightaway.

i have got kinda used to it now so always in control but you never know.

got my brake pads and shoes changed at 20k service and will get them changed again at 35k service.

so moral of the story,Check the brakes properly and if you guys find any problem see the TASS and at least you all will have idea about its braking efficiency.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:39   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The funny thing is that not once Tata has asked me how did the service or repair experience go.
Maybe they laid off the customer service staff?
This is really surprising - they have NEVER missed a follow up call in my two years of experience. And they call within 48 hours of the visit. Its a Pune number - 4013 2000.

Sure your phone was never switched off?
Old 17th December 2008, 11:43   #251
BANNED

The TASC has to forward the feedback to TML. If they don't, TML is blissfully unaware that your vehicle ever went for a service.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:47   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
The TASC has to forward the feedback to TML. If they don't, TML is blissfully unaware that your vehicle ever went for a service.
Nope, not really. Not sure if you guys know this so here goes -

Every Job Card that is opened at the dealership is actually opened on TML server. Thus, the minute the job card is opened, TML knows all about what's happening.

When the workshop closes the Job card (when they issue you the Gate Pass & Invoice), TML knows the car has left the workshop & they would call you thereafter to check. That is why (if you've given your Mobile number), you receive an SMS from TML telling you your vehicle is ready for delivery as soon as the Job Card has been closed.

Heck, most workshops would call you the next day & get your feedback just to make sure that you're not planning to screw them when TML call

Last edited by suman : 17th December 2008 at 11:54.
Old 17th December 2008, 11:53   #253
Senior - BHPian

A bit OT, but relevant nonetheless.

this month has seen a couple of niggles crop up in my truck- first the AC fuse blew and then the front suspension was making a tak-tak sound.

took it to my regular dealer (Malik Motors- who so far have given me no cause for complaint).

the Ac fuse was changed in 20 seconds- so no issues there.

as regards the suspension, i took the truck there on Sunday and the mechs hoisted it up on the service bay and gave teh suspension a thorough once over. in the end they applied grease to teh idler arm and adjusted the bush and the truck seems to be running fine.

so while I have no complaints from the TASC, one thing i noticed is that they did not open a job card. Just attended to my complaint and that was it- and gave a good wash to the truck as well since it was a Sunday and they had nothing to do . I guess that they did not want to create a record of the work done, lest there is a follow up from TML.

TML runs the SAP CRM so everytime a car is logged in by a TASC, a record is automatically created at TML.

it is a different story that the guard at the TASC had a tough time allowing me out since there was no gate pass- no job card-no gate pass
Old 17th December 2008, 11:58   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I guess that they did not want to create a record of the work done, lest there is a follow up from TML.
Correct & this is something to be careful about, particularly if its a complaint that has not been satisfactorily attended to.
Old 17th December 2008, 12:03   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Even ABS won't help in this case I think. For example, in my case there is no rear lockup now, but hard braking means she pulls towards the right side.
the ABS will stop the wheels locking up, which is why the safari fishtails... thats really the most dangerous situation you can be in because the wheels accept no input for direction control and completely lose traction - effectively leaving you to God's graces and whether you ticked the Big Man off really bad earlier in the year!!!

the pulling to the right is because of differing brake pressure on the wheels, not because of locking up of the wheels... that's rectifiable at most TASS's

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks