Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 09:06   #1711
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! What a debate about "My Toy is Better than Yours".

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Yeah, that's what I wonder as well. You do & I do, but I'm yet to see a single comprehensive Scorpio or other SUV thread whereby a per km cost has been meticulously maintained.
Even I have done and 30k Kms my maintenance is at 76p/Km (doesn't include accidental repair). This is for Bolero which is the largest selling SUV 3 years in a row but mine isn't exactly a very reliable vehicle.

Quote:
ACM, very well said. We also had an unwritten protocol on this forum whereby we didn't jump into Ownership threads & bash a vehicle. Unfortunately, this decorum is not being followed by quite a few of our members today (though the same set would be equally touchy if someone else passed a derogatory comment in their ownership threads). Sad but true.
Very well said
Old 12th September 2010, 15:55   #1712
Team-BHP Support

54000 kms update

On thursday the vehicle was again given to Automobile sterling for some niggling issues like oil leak.
Following was done
1. Oil filter fault - Changed at cost and labor - Question-> How does an oil filter start leaking after 2 months of service?
2. Power window switch set change - Changed at cost and labor - Question -> 1.5 months ago when vehicle was under warranty this problem was reported, for the n'th time. As usual, "adjustment" was done
3. Rear door latch change - Changed at cost and labor - Question -> This problem has been reported 4 times before. Why was not latch changed then, was it because the vehicle was under warranty?

I have sent a mail.
Quote:
This July, around 1.5 months back when the vehicle was in standard warranty I had given it to sterling to fix some standard issues.
Before that around May-June timeframe the car went through service, and some problems like oil leak from hose pipe were fixed.

Unfortunately, all the problems have come back again
1. Oil leak - Few drops of oil are found under the vehicle in the morning, has been happening for past 2-3 days
2. Drivers side power window jam - This window occasionally jams up. I have tried to get this problem rectified 5-6 times, but every time it comes back within a few days
3. Rear door light activation - When the tailgate is opened, the internal lights do not light up. I have got this fixed around 5-6 times, but it works fine only for a week or so after fixing
4. Front tires touching/jamming something - I had reported this problem in July, and the tie rods and center pin bush were changed.
Since its a steering related component, it was charged(approx bill 4100rs), but again within a month the problem has come back, and the front tires feel like they are touching something

The vehicles standard warranty expired on July 27th, and now vehicle is in extended warranty, and most of these things are not covered in extended warranty. I am worried that I will be needing to go again and again to the workshop to get these fixed, without warranty.
Could you please direct sterling to fix these problems permanently.
Till the vehicle was under warranty, it was only a matter of giving the vehicle and taking it back in the evening.
However now extended warranty is running, and I am worried about the high expenses.

Thanks and regards
Tanveer
The mailed back and an appointment was set up with Automobile sterling
After the job got done(at cost), I have sent a follow up mail to Tata
Quote:
I took the Vehicle to Sterling Noida on Thursday.
With the service advisor, we zeroed in on 3 complains
1. Oil Leak
2. Interior light not coming on due to rear door latch issue
3. Power window intermittent jam problem.
The problems were solved, and the total expenses were 2650 rs approx.
I just have one question.
For power window jam issue, I have gone to automobile sterling about 4-5 times.
Why was the switch assembly not changed then. Was it because the vehicle was under warranty.
Similar thing with rear door latch.
Earlier whenever I had mentioned this problem of light not coming on, the latch was greased or repaired.

Now that the vehicle got out of warranty, all parts were promptly replaced.

This is not the first time I have faced this with sterling. When I had the indica I faced similar situation where, whenever a problematic part was under warranty, the focus was on repair. However, once warranty got over prompt replacement was recommended.
Such practices lead to a bad taste. For example, I am thinking now that 1.5 months back, these parts were not deliberately changed under warranty and only repaired. Now that normal warranty is over, they promptly replaced the parts.

It has badly shaken my faith in the functioning of Automobile sterling.

thanks and regards
Tanveer Singh

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th September 2010 at 22:14.
Old 12th September 2010, 19:06   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

even I had a front fascia issue, which they kept replacing the cable which the knob operated. finally when the warranty ran out, they said that the fascia is faulty, and needs to be changed. they never said it during *every* service during the warranty period, dutifully changing just the cable.

thankfully the fascia was changed in an insurance related claim, and got fixed, but if the TASC seems to prolong these issues and generally tries to avoid warranty claims wherever possible
Old 12th September 2010, 19:37   #1714
BANNED

The problems Tanveer is talking is all but A.S.C issues.

Where has the machine failed miserably as you make it to be.

We all can see how Tanveer is having a blast with the car otherwise. I can understand his plight with the Service centre.

Oil filter can go wrong in any car, any make. My M-800 oil filter started leaking the day i got it serviced at the A.S.C, i had to get the oil and the filter replaced within 50 kms of running. similar trouble with our Matiz, the oil levels reduced drastically within first 3000 kms of running, Service centre diagonised a faulty leaking oil filter.

The title "Niggles Galore" is very deviating, why dont we rename it blaming the A.S.C instead of the car.....!

Its the story of "Ek anaar, sau bimaar"

What averages are we talking about. Do we need to do an all India Survey.

An average of 1:250+ safari's on this very own forum is sufficient. lets not run away from the facts.

Inspite of many members re-itertaing about their Safari ownership being troublefree, every other guy comes over here bashing the product, That tooo only for one Safari.

Take that......!

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 12th September 2010 at 19:40.
Old 12th September 2010, 21:06   #1715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Question-> How does an oil filter start leaking after 2 months of service?
Mine did after almost 2 months too, and what a leak - check out my ownership thread about the details.
Old 12th September 2010, 22:10   #1716
Team-BHP Support

PAvan, while I understand your love for the safari, please understand for a customer, the dealership is the face of the mfr.
Also I do not care whether 1 out of million safaris have an issue, or one out of 100. All I care about is mine.
So I actually have repetitive problems which were not fixed earlier and now they are fixed when warranty is over. In the end it costs me money.
So I do not care who introduces the niggles. Whether the TASC spoilt the latch, and the power window switch, or it got faulty on its own, for a customer small niggles are coming.
there are other niggles which I did not even tell the service center. They have been there since day one, and if I make a list it will run into a full page.
But they are minor irritants, and rattles, so I do not want to burden the ASC. As it is they have a tough time fixing the major niggles.

So while I do have an ASC issue of not fixing issues, I also have an issue with the vehicle quality. Why are parts like power window switches, door latches, AC vents, beading etc., failing in 2 years. Maybe its my fault, and driving on bad roads makes the power window switches unhappy and they get depressed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Mine did after almost 2 months too, and what a leak - check out my ownership thread about the details.
Oh I did read that. In your case its the first time, In my case this is the third time I have seen oil leaks!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th September 2010 at 22:11.
Old 12th September 2010, 22:20   #1717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On thursday the vehicle was again given to Automobile sterling for some niggling issues like oil leak.
Following was done
1. Oil filter fault - Changed at cost and labor - Question-> How does an oil filter start leaking after 2 months of service?
2. Power window switch set change - Changed at cost and labor - Question -> 1.5 months ago when vehicle was under warranty this problem was reported, for the n'th time. As usual, "adjustment" was done
3. Rear door latch change - Changed at cost and labor - Question -> This problem has been reported 4 times before. Why was not latch changed then, was it because the vehicle was under warranty?

I have sent a mail.

Tanveer,

The fact of the matter as of today (no matter what & how others say or think) is that the expensive diesel vehicles from TML are as good as their warranty 4 years or 1.5 lac kms period.

These guys are there to make money.. plain and simple and the sole reasons for apathy from them while doing work under warranty which may be a quickfix for the time being BUT the moment you are out of factory warranty god help us. They will tell us everything nook and crany which will need replacement and well at times we dont have choices and we choose to pay.

Now no wonder my horse's caretakers are telling to get rid of it as soon as its 4 years

Having said that, Tanveer -> dont let them get away with this and do fight to get the money charged reversed, for the faults which have been reported earlier.

Thnx

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 12th September 2010 at 22:22.
Old 12th September 2010, 23:45   #1718
BANNED

Quote:
PAvan, while I understand your love for the safari, please understand for a customer, the dealership is the face of the mfr.
Also I do not care whether 1 out of million safaris have an issue, or one out of 100. All I care about is mine.
So I actually have repetitive problems which were not fixed earlier and now they are fixed when warranty is over. In the end it costs me money.
So I do not care who introduces the niggles. Whether the TASC spoilt the latch, and the power window switch, or it got faulty on its own, for a customer small niggles are coming.
there are other niggles which I did not even tell the service center. They have been there since day one, and if I make a list it will run into a full page.
But they are minor irritants, and rattles, so I do not want to burden the ASC. As it is they have a tough time fixing the major niggles.

So while I do have an ASC issue of not fixing issues, I also have an issue with the vehicle quality. Why are parts like power window switches, door latches, AC vents, beading etc., failing in 2 years. Maybe its my fault, and driving on bad roads makes the power window switches unhappy and they get depressed?
In that case ,we need to discuss this issue on a separate thread on a different section " Indian Dealership"

Lets hope you get things sorted out with the A.S.C.
Old 13th September 2010, 09:44   #1719
BHPian

Power Window Switch Set Change

Quote:
Can you please inform the Power Window Switch set Price ?

Also I understand that you have to buy the full set. Is that correct ?

The internal Illumination on one switch (Rear - Right) has conked out (The switch is however working). The switch being modular design, there are no changeable parts (read - bulb/LED) in the switch. I was told that the full set (Front, both doors and the rear, both doors) has to be changed.
The set is at ~ Rs. 4000.

-K
Old 13th September 2010, 10:14   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, when you say "Power Window switch", are you referring to the lifter mechanism? If so, it is definitely covered under EW - both my rear ones have been changed under EW.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:06   #1721
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Can you please inform the Power Window Switch set Price ?

Also I understand that you have to buy the full set. Is that correct ?

The internal Illumination on one switch (Rear - Right) has conked out (The switch is however working). The switch being modular design, there are no changeable parts (read - bulb/LED) in the switch. I was told that the full set (Front, both doors and the rear, both doors) has to be changed.
The set is at ~ Rs. 4000.

-K
Yes, you have to buy the full set. There are 4 switches in the set. It costs around 950rs + taxes etc.,

Quote:
Tanveer, when you say "Power Window switch", are you referring to the lifter mechanism? If so, it is definitely covered under EW - both my rear ones have been changed under EW.
Nope, not the lifter but the switches which you operate with your fingers. One of the switches was not working properly, so all 4 had to be changed.
Old 13th September 2010, 12:34   #1722
Team-BHP Support

Solved!

Finally a happy story.
In my earlier experiences after getting repeat problems, I always used to mail all and sundry with my grievances.
This time I just mailed the tata motors customer care guys.
Go a call today morning, and explained all the issues to the person with whom I was interacting during last year when the idle surge problem was there.

They have agreed to a solution favorable to me and acknowledged that switch related issues which are not wear and tear parts should not have come 1.5 months after warranty got over.

I am a happy customer now, and I am glad that the company is trying to fix the problems.

If this becomes the norm, instead of a puny 1000 units/month, the safari can very well start matching 2000 units/month in sales.

Way to go TML. While I will say that QC at the factory level in Tata is not at the level of other mfrs, in customer care they have surpassed the big names, atleast in my case!
Old 13th September 2010, 15:24   #1723
Senior - BHPian

Good Work, Tata.

Despite your problems, Tanveer, I have always felt TML has been very proactive in trying to solve your issues. It's a different matter that it has taken a lot of time because the technically knowledgeable guys are located either zonally or in Pune and the dealer is often clueless.

That doesn't absolve their QC or R&D dept in any way, though!
Old 14th September 2010, 11:45   #1724
BHPian

Window switch set price

Quote:
Yes, you have to buy the full set. There are 4 switches in the set. It costs around 950rs + taxes etc.,
There is a discrepancy in the price.

I was informed very categorically that the switch set cost ~ 3500+taxes.
This set consists of driver's master control+the window winder switches for the other doors.

Your price of ~ Rs. 1000 / set basically means that these switches should cost ~ Rs. 100-150 for the other doors and the balance for the driver master console. This price is too low even for OE purchase especially for modular switches made at the Minda-Rica plant.

Can you please re-check ?

-K
Old 14th September 2010, 12:04   #1725
Team-BHP Support

I am sure, I have the bills with me.
I did not get the switches for other doors, just the drivers master control, which is a set of 4 switches.
It costs 950+ taxes + labor etc.,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks