Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 15:26   #1621
Team-BHP Support

Actually a CBU can never be VFM. You pay 100%+ as duty. So the actual vehicle is worth just 50% of its price.
If only they started CKD on the GV, plonk in a diesel engine, and price it below 12, it will be the ultimate tourer.
As for lockable diff, fortuner is a full time 4WD, so in lock mode the center diff is locked, and front and rear diffs are open.
Old 28th July 2010, 16:13   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If Safari became totally reliable, it will be perfect!
TSK - I guess you need to reword this to 'If Safari was lower on maintenance, it will be perfect!'. Talking about reliability, how many times has it left you stranded in the middle of nowhere??
Old 28th July 2010, 16:20   #1623
Team-BHP Support

Well you can reword it. I have been stranded only thrice, and twice it was not in the middle of nowhere, and once in the middle of nowhere
Old 28th July 2010, 16:45   #1624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well you can reword it. I have been stranded only thrice, and twice it was not in the middle of nowhere, and once in the middle of nowhere
Can you please share the details (place/reason/etc)?
Old 28th July 2010, 16:48   #1625
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
And definitely over-priced!!!!
Definitely, by at least 3-4 lacs. But where are other options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I would love to get my hands on a Fortuner, but for the moolah
Same pinch Sir, and I m sure we are not alone.

Quote:
Well, I can buy 2 safari's for the price of one fortuner. I think paying 2X just for more reliability is a bit too much!
As I said, the perfect vehicle for me does not exist.
If Safari became totally reliable, it will be perfect!
Compared to the Safari VX 4x4, the Fortuner has more torque, greater reliability,naah, much greater reliability, a higher resale value and yes, doesn't cost 2x. Safari VX 4x4-14,26,868;Fortuner-19,43,340. So a difference of around 5 lacs INR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Errrr...AFAIK Fortuner does not come with lockable diff. Not in India.

I'd always vote for my fav GV ;-)
Reliable, service network but no longer interesting pricing :-(
But what about the per km cost of the GV Sir(I mean the FE). Tanveer has answered your question on diff locks.
Old 28th July 2010, 16:55   #1626
Team-BHP Support

Currently there is only one 2.4L GV owner (oldmonk) on the forum. Only he can reveal the FE info of current GV.

As far as 4WD system is concerned, Fortuner and GV in India are identical. Both are full time 4WD with lockable center diff and available low ratio.

Last edited by Samurai : 28th July 2010 at 16:56.
Old 28th July 2010, 16:58   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Definitely, by at least 3-4 lacs. But where are other options?
From what I have read about the Fortuner, IMHO it does not deserve an on-road price of more than 15 lacs!!

Quote:
Compared to the Safari VX 4x4, the Fortuner has more torque, greater reliability,naah, much greater reliability, a higher resale value and yes, doesn't cost 2x. Safari VX 4x4-14,26,868;Fortuner-19,43,340. So a difference of around 5 lacs INR.
Who needs a VX as long as 4x4 is available on the EX, which is exactly 1/2 the price of a Fortuner. Also, a fairer comparison would be b/w on-road prices since the registration cost and insurance amount increase proportionally with the ex-showroom price.

Last edited by cool_dube : 28th July 2010 at 16:59.
Old 28th July 2010, 17:06   #1628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Devdath, methinks you've taken the On-road price of the Safari & the Ex-showroom price of the Fortuner. Not a proper comparison, wouldn't you say ?

Where did you get the Safari price from? Based on information that I have from the website, the ex-showroom price of a Safari (BS4) VX 4x4 is Rs 1,225,579 in Gurgaon. Delhi would be marginally cheaper. Heck, even Bangalore Ex-showroom price is Rs 1,229,618!!!!

Last edited by suman : 28th July 2010 at 17:10.
Old 28th July 2010, 17:09   #1629
Team-BHP Support

Good catch suman.
Moreover a user like me just wants some basic features. Even EX is an overkill. with 2% road tax, a safari Ex 4x4 can be had for half the price of a fortuner 4x4!
Sure fortuner will have ABS and Airbags, but airbags are not important features for me. GX 4x4 has ABS too and is around 55% the price of a fortuner.
I guess the closest thing which comes to safari is the Endy, but then again, its expensive!
Old 28th July 2010, 17:45   #1630
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Devdath, methinks you've taken the On-road price of the Safari & the Ex-showroom price of the Fortuner. Not a proper comparison, wouldn't you say ?
Oops, that was a big goof up. Sorry. The ex showroom price of the Safari 4x4VX in Bangalore is: 11,73,466 while it is 19,43,340 for the Fortuner, so a difference of around 7.5 lacs. Yes, a big difference.

@tanveer: What I understood from your requirements is that all you need is a reliable air conditioned 4wheel drive 4 seater high perched vehicle at a price of around 12-14 lac INR on road Delhi. But the point here is, going forth, most,vehicles will have ABS, airbags, and maybe, a few more gizmos as standard equipment which means they will be priced higher. Also, saying no to these safety features which have become basic in most cars of that price today somehow doesn't cut it with me. Though it is your choice.

PS: I too cannot afford the Fortuner, but that is a different topic altogether.

Safari price from carwale and Fortuner from the Toyota website. Here are the urls:
http://www.carwale.com/new/fq.aspx
http://toyotabharat.com/inen/forms/pricelist.asp

Last edited by n.devdath : 28th July 2010 at 17:46.
Old 28th July 2010, 17:55   #1631
Team-BHP Support

I am all for ABS, but in an OTR vehicle with light guard fixtures etc., Airbags may not make much sense. I will make do with seatbelts I think, esp since in such vehicles I keep cruising speeds of around 90kmph!
Old 28th July 2010, 19:58   #1632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am all for ABS, but in an OTR vehicle with light guard fixtures etc., Airbags may not make much sense. I will make do with seatbelts I think, esp since in such vehicles I keep cruising speeds of around 90kmph!
I beg to differ, given a slightly different situation. Before I get off-road (Himalayas, jungles or Nilgiris), I have to drive XXX kms on the highway. Airbags and features such as ABS etc. do protect me and my family - especially in highway driving (well, I drive over 90kmph given good roads) from that once in a lifetime situation (like Insurance). Disclaimer: I have a toddler, so need to be more serious about mitigating risk now compared to when I was the solo occupant, or when just me and my wife were in the car,

I can totally related to your maintenance troubles. I still own an Indica V2 LSI, and am fed up with the number of times that I had to take it to the service centre. My current SX4 never had any issues except rattling and squealing brakes (but great brakes nevertheless) - and I am confident taking it in the middle of the jungle in the evening without being apprehensive about whether it will have some major issue when I can least afford it (e.g. a charging/chasing elephant in the night).

I really liked the GV in the TDs (and after research). But the current MT version in Bangalore (lucky Delhiites!) is priced a few lakhs too high. The folks at Maruti who do price elasticity of demand analysis for high end vehicles should be fired. If GV was brought as a CKD, it would be a game changer - even with the petrol engine, and especially if Suzuki is able to offer the DDiS engine (apparently they can't in markets such as India). I read somewhere that CKD incurs 30% duty (could be wrong - too lazy to Google). If so, the GV would cost b/w 13-14 L OTR in Bangalore (cheaper in other parts of India say 12-13 L). Imagine the sales - will blow away Scorpio + Safari + quite a few sedans.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:38   #1633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ex showroom price of the Safari 4x4VX in Bangalore is: 11,73,466
And this one is incorrect as well

Do check the Company website for correct prices, Carwale may not always be accurate
Old 28th July 2010, 20:42   #1634
BANNED

Quote:
And this one is incorrect as well

Do check the Company website for correct prices, Carwale may not always be accurate
OMG, a bad bad day for me. Sorry for all the wrong data and confusion. I didnt know carwale could give out wrong figures.
Old 28th July 2010, 21:12   #1635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To be honest Doc, I wouldn't dare take a Land Rover.....or a Volvo....or an Audi....or a VW to Ladakh...

There was a Red Volvo in Leh last year, transporting the likes of Kareena... etc - it packed up & had to be transported back by truck; guess they couldn't even begin to figure what had gone wrong
Suman, what's with the icy cold water treatment of a dream? Here you were drooling over the LR some days ago, and right now you don't want to own one and take it to Ladakh! Heck, you might even find Kareena stranded there beside a broken-down red Volvo, asking for a lift from you!

Forget Safaris, Scorpios, GVs and Fortuners for a while, let's dream and pray for Tanveer (and you) to be able to afford the LR soon - AND afford to take it to Ladakh.

May you...
Quote:
...have sleepless nights wondering "What if....(the red Volvo broke down again)?"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks