Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 14:54   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, its a metal sheet with foam padding on the inside. Pretty rugged, but prone to rusting and frequent trail driving can take its toll
Yes I also observed that stones cause nicks and rusting of the plate even for non-trail driven vehicle like mine. So proves the utility of this skid plate.But the thickness of the sheet is quite good.
Also there are actually two plates covering whole front portion.

I got the 3M underbody rust treatment done but they do just on the under body and not on the skid plates and Chasis elements. I think aftermarket rubber paint or even redoxide coating at home may be of help.
Old 12th May 2010, 22:01   #1547
Team-BHP Support

Brake issue?

As you know I got the brake pads changed at 45K kms this saturday.
After that I have felt some vibrations coming from the front right wheel at very slow speeds. Like when I just march in first gear.
They have lessened over these 2 days, but I can feel something amiss.
My guess was that maybe the brake pad adjustment is not right and they might be touching the wheel.
Possible?
To double check, I decided to use the new hydraulic jack which I got last year before ladakh trip. This is the first time I used this.
Raised the front right wheel, put my ear to near the hub and rotated the wheel.
I can surely hear some kind of rubbing noise as the wheel rotates.
It can be the pads rubbing against the disk or something else.
tomorrow I will show it to sterling again, and see if they can get a quick disk.
MY biggest worry is that this can happen if the brake disks are warped.
Anyways, vehicle is in warranty, extended will kick in much later. So let see what happens tomorrow.
Half my life is spent at Tata service centers
Old 12th May 2010, 22:25   #1548
BANNED

Quote:
As you know I got the brake pads changed at 45K kms this saturday.
After that I have felt some vibrations coming from the front right wheel at very slow speeds. Like when I just march in first gear.
My guess was that maybe the brake pad adjustment is not right and they might be touching the wheel.
Possible?
To double check, I decided to use the new hydraulic jack which I got last year before ladakh trip. This is the first time I used this.
Raised the front right wheel, put my ear to near the hub and rotated the wheel.
tomorrow I will show it to sterling again, and see if they can get a quick disk.
Anyways, vehicle is in warranty, extended will kick in much later. So let see what happens tomorrow.
You better go back and check it out, sounds like your pads are not fitted correctly or like you say the disc could be warped i doubt you'll get that done under warranty, if the pad are badly fitted and rubbing against the discs, they will 100% warp, sounds like you could have a fight on your hands. Incidently i'm going to tass for a fight tomorrow, for a silly problem that i've had since day one!!!
Old 12th May 2010, 23:27   #1549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got the brake pads changed...
Possible?
When the pads are changed and the discs are not turned/trued (on a lathe), you get some slight vibration initially on light braking. Let the pads bed in for around 500 km, and you're going to be fine. But get the discs turned at the next pad change (this set will last you less than the 45k km of the originals, because the discs weren't turned). Incidentally, all discs have the pads rubbing gently against them - there's no return spring unlike shoes in drum brakes, to pull the pads back.
Quote:
The A.S.S. won't turn your discs on a lathe - they'll ask you to replace them - and not under warranty either.

I've had my Accent's pads replaced and discs turned all the time (at least thrice) at a private garage even when the car was under warranty - couldn't afford new discs at every 50k km!
Old 12th May 2010, 23:38   #1550
Team-BHP Support

Actually people have gotten disks replaced under extended warranty with little fight. I guess under normal warranty it should be easier.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:03   #1551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually people have gotten disks replaced under extended warranty with little fight. I guess under normal warranty it should be easier.
Oh, that's great news! You must definitely get your discs replaced then. Why live with uneven discs when you can get new ones free? In any case, it's not recommended to turn discs more than twice before replacing them - which effectively means you'd need new discs at 1.2L km (assuming you go through a set of pads every 40k km).
Old 13th May 2010, 11:13   #1552
Team-BHP Support

Sound has stopped coming. No vibrations too. I think it was a disk setting issue. Well I will let her complete 500kms or so. If any vibrations etc, persist then its time for another visit to the service center!
Will take a short TD in middle of the day also to double check.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:16   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Tsk > Your patience is commendable.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:26   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
...I got the 3M underbody rust treatment done but they do just on the under body and not on the skid plates and Chasis elements. I think aftermarket rubber paint or even redoxide coating at home may be of help.
The recent under body coating that I got done, covered the plates also. Well actually, the guy who was doing it had left it out, but I asked him to cover it. So maybe a request would have helped. And maybe, you can get it done as part of the touch up, when you go for the checkup.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:31   #1555
Team-BHP Support

The problem is not the rust.
The problem is plate movement and its effect on the bolt holes.
when the plate rubs against something and flexes, it starts getting torn from the bolt holes.
In my case, the plate top part had started to come a little outwards. It got caught by tire, and hence got pushed down further, putting pressure on the bolt holes. This lead to constant pulling there, and eventually, the bolt hole got ripped.

Now instead of a plate in shape |_____| I will get a plate in shape of _______
So there won't be any side extensions which can open up over time and touch tire.
My only worry is that is it possible to get an impact from the side? If not, will a flat skid plate do?
Old 13th May 2010, 11:39   #1556
Team-BHP Support

Tan take the original plate design and get it copied with thick aluminium checkered plate. Don't miss the side protections, manufacturer would have designed it for some purpose or other.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:52   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The recent under body coating that I got done, covered the plates also. Well actually, the guy who was doing it had left it out, but I asked him to cover it. So maybe a request would have helped. And maybe, you can get it done as part of the touch up, when you go for the checkup.
well they refused in my case stating it will void warranty on Plates and Chasis components , I got it done at prerana old madras road and that was my first and last visit to them due to some other reasons as well.

Quote:
The problem is not the rust.
The problem is plate movement and its effect on the bolt holes.
when the plate rubs against something and flexes, it starts getting torn from the bolt holes.
In my case, the plate top part had started to come a little outwards. It got caught by tire, and hence got pushed down further, putting pressure on the bolt holes. This lead to constant pulling there, and eventually, the bolt hole got ripped.

Now instead of a plate in shape |_____| I will get a plate in shape of _______
So there won't be any side extensions which can open up over time and touch tire.
My only worry is that is it possible to get an impact from the side? If not, will a flat skid plate do?
+1 to Jaggu's suggestion of Aluminum. The current steel plates are quite heavy may be 40 Kgs I guess.

I think side protection may be required to prevent smaller stones which tiers pick and throw upwards.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:09   #1558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Tan take the original plate design and get it copied with thick aluminium checkered plate. Don't miss the side protections, manufacturer would have designed it for some purpose or other.
I am yet to find an good aluminum fabricating guy. Will try to get aluminum if possible, otherwise steel is the only option
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
well they refused in my case stating it will void warranty on Plates and Chasis components , I got it done at prerana old madras road and that was my first and last visit to them due to some other reasons as well.

+1 to Jaggu's suggestion of Aluminum. The current steel plates are quite heavy may be 40 Kgs I guess.

I think side protection may be required to prevent smaller stones which tiers pick and throw upwards.
The plate is around 10-15kgs including weight of foam.

This is not the engine plate, this is behind the engine and protects some rods(chasis stiffness etc., thingy).

Hopefully I can get a good guy in Noida. Going to somebody like rally prepares will mean 7-8K just for a bunch of plates. I might as well get OEM for 1750. They do their job well, and will last me 2 years atleast.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:12   #1559
Team-BHP Support

If you don't need welding, there will be no difference if the guy is an aluminum or a metal guy. All it requires is some bending and cutting from the look of it.

1750!! then dont think twice get OEM only lol
Old 13th May 2010, 12:15   #1560
Team-BHP Support

Yes, but I still need to source aluminum sheets. Probably from the house fitting dealers. The guy has to first take measurements, and then cut. Some precision is needed.
Frankly speaking I would love to get a shiny shiny bling bling under body protection sheet.
On the inside I plan to fit heatlon. Its a foam type material. Similar is found on the OEM sheet.
So if you bang so hard that the sheet bends enough to hit a component, its the foam cushions the impact

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks