Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2010, 08:41   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I once had the same issue with my brake pads in the Uno. The right outer pad wore out totally in a span of 200 Kms while all the others had 4-5 mm pad left. This had happened while driving on Kutcha road and some small stone chip getting lodged in the calliper leading to excessive wear. Did you feel excessive/ highly effective braking sometime? That would have been the symptom
Yes, ur right. My safari had really effective braking at the time and I was very happy, especially since it tracked straight without any pulling to the sides. Now the braking is not as effective as 'then'.
I will find out when I ask them to check the brake pads during the upcoming service. Thanks for the pointer.
If the pads are wearing evenly now then fine, else ive saved the old brake pads that were still good and ask them to just replace the one thats worn, else I will have to replace the entire set.
Old 9th May 2010, 12:35   #1532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
@TSK > My safari is scheduled for a 45k service on tuesday. I notice no gear oil & differential oil changes in the 45 k service.

Would be great if you can manage to post pics of the timing belt / cover/ gear issue.

My brake pads wore erratically. One pad of the pair on one side of front brake pads had completely worn out while the others were good. The TASS could not diagnose the cause of erratic wear since there were no handling/braking issues.
Great to know your brake pads lasted upwards of 40k kms.
Actually diff oil and 4x4 TCASE oil was changed at 30K. However, Gearbox and clutch and brake oil has never been changed. therefore I decided to get it changed. I think manual says gear oil to be changed at 30K.
As for the timing belt issue, I was out for lunch when they saw the issue. I told them not to fix it, as it would mean me leaving the car overnight. On monday I will leave my car at sterling, and I will try to see if I can get any pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Yes, ur right. My safari had really effective braking at the time and I was very happy, especially since it tracked straight without any pulling to the sides. Now the braking is not as effective as 'then'.
I will find out when I ask them to check the brake pads during the upcoming service. Thanks for the pointer.
If the pads are wearing evenly now then fine, else ive saved the old brake pads that were still good and ask them to just replace the one thats worn, else I will have to replace the entire set.
As for brake pads, if brake pads wear out due to some other manufacturing defect, tata will give warranty. Mine are uniformly worn out. 45K is a long time with so many hill trips.
I remember indica pads lasted 15-20k when she was used as a tourer.
However, you have to replace the entire set, no half set possible.
Old 9th May 2010, 14:07   #1533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually diff oil and 4x4 TCASE oil was changed at 30K. However, Gearbox and clutch and brake oil has never been changed. therefore I decided to get it changed. I think manual says gear oil to be changed at 30K.
As for the timing belt issue, I was out for lunch when they saw the issue. I told them not to fix it, as it would mean me leaving the car overnight. On monday I will leave my car at sterling, and I will try to see if I can get any pics.
Its at 45k but for the differential its earlier in city conditions.
Old 9th May 2010, 15:22   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As you recall, I was hearing some rythmic belt type sounds. Belt tightning earlier did not fix it.
So I asked the techs there to find what makes noise.
They went through checking all the belts, and nothing was amiss. Then they decided to check the timing belt.
Well its cracked. The timing cover or something as they call it is also cracked. According to them, cracking of timing cover due to design flaw led to premature timing belt break or something like that.
Now I already got the retro done for this. Then how did this happen?
is raat ki subah nahi mamu..

There would be many more safari' with similar issues to come it seems.
I have already been through this before my J&K expedition.

Details are available here.. thanks to proactive & good TASS..my vehicle goes to him always irrespective to what CS says

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 9th May 2010 at 15:27. Reason: Typo
Old 10th May 2010, 14:10   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer & Rahul

Your problems with Safari have actually scared me like anything... due to which I am deferring my decision to buy the beast (I PM-ed you Tanveer). I admit that few of my relatives own Tata vehicles (back-to-back) & are pretty satisfied & there are few new owners in the forum who are pretty satisfied till date, but would definitely like to learn about your SUVs in good shape till I make the plunge.

Please accept my best wishes for a trouble free ownership of the Same in future.
Old 10th May 2010, 15:43   #1536
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Tanveer & Rahul

Your problems with Safari have actually scared me like anything... due to which I am deferring my decision to buy the beast (I PM-ed you Tanveer). I admit that few of my relatives own Tata vehicles (back-to-back) & are pretty satisfied & there are few new owners in the forum who are pretty satisfied till date, but would definitely like to learn about your SUVs in good shape till I make the plunge.

Please accept my best wishes for a trouble free ownership of the Same in future.
I have been running a Safari since october 2008, almost no problems, only one which is the front left window is having problems going up, this is actualy a simple repair, just need the service guys to understand, but as usual they won't listen going back in a couple of days to demand they fix it, if not will start shouting and swearing and maybe make another complaint to Tata. Otherwise i think it's a pretty decent vehicle, best suv in price range by a long margine.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:30   #1537
Team-BHP Support

Timing belt is gone but timing was not affected right? The you should be relieved! Imagine a bust belt in one of your weekend trips! Very good thing that they have noticed and attending to it.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:59   #1538
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Tanveer & Rahul

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
I have been running a Safari since october 2008, almost no problems, only one which is the front left window is having problems going up, this is actualy a simple repair, just need the service guys to understand, but as usual they won't listen going back in a couple of days to demand they fix it, if not will start shouting and swearing and maybe make another complaint to Tata. Otherwise i think it's a pretty decent vehicle, best suv in price range by a long margine.
The proportion of stisfied and unsatisfied Safari Customers are not equal.

We 160 Safari owners on this Forum. How many have reliability issues.

1/2/3 or 4. Compared to 4/160, is a negligible number. So chill.

I own a 2006 Dicor, even though i have driven it only for 27K kms so far, its trouble free.

Lets not take this "Troublesome Car" issue a bit too far.
Old 10th May 2010, 22:29   #1539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Timing belt is gone but timing was not affected right? The you should be relieved! Imagine a bust belt in one of your weekend trips! Very good thing that they have noticed and attending to it.
Actually timing belt has slight cut, it could have gone any time and wrecked the engine(head camshaft et al)
They will finish the work by noon tomorrow
Old 12th May 2010, 11:27   #1540
Team-BHP Support

So what happened finally, how is the elephant now?
Old 12th May 2010, 11:36   #1541
Team-BHP Support

Entire timing belt kit was changed. Cam gear stuff, water pump, timing belt, cover. It comes as a full retro kit from Tata.
However, I am getting weird noises from the right wheel disk or maybe front diff area. Will take it again to workshop to see whats wrong now
Old 12th May 2010, 12:52   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, Kudos to your patience! i know their is no other choice but i guess now you are used to it.

Quote:
Entire timing belt kit was changed. Cam gear stuff, water pump, timing belt, cover. It comes as a full retro kit from Tata.
However, I am getting weird noises from the right wheel disk or maybe front diff area. Will take it again to workshop to see whats wrong now
Old 12th May 2010, 13:06   #1543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At the bottom you see one hole to the right, thats where one bolt goes in. To the left bottom is the other hole, which is totally gone. Infact the sheet had to ripped apart as it gotten stuck with the bolt
TSK, is the sheet made of metal ?
Old 12th May 2010, 13:34   #1544
Senior - BHPian

A little OT:
@tsk1979: Which model is your Safari. I mean EX 4x4 or VX 4x4, and what must be the cost of the same(year and model as your's) when i buy it USED?
Old 12th May 2010, 14:47   #1545
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
TSK, is the sheet made of metal ?
Yes, its a metal sheet with foam padding on the inside.
Pretty rugged, but prone to rusting and frequent trail driving can take its toll
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
A little OT:
@tsk1979: Which model is your Safari. I mean EX 4x4 or VX 4x4, and what must be the cost of the same(year and model as your's) when i buy it USED?
No idea about used car market. Mine is an EX-4x4, as mentioned in the thread title

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks