Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2008, 23:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Basanti @ 80 thousand km

'Basanti' yeah thats what we call her.She came into our life in the month of August 1998.Me being too young then liked her cute looks.Dad meanwhile loved the 'airplane' take off sound of the engine when revved.In those days a carburated 800 DX model 800 costed us 2 lakhs and 64 thousand.

Glad we got this car,as from there on our new exploration trips began.
First it was kashmir.Mumbai to Kashmir.People called my dad mad to take an 800.But mad we were and mom dad and we went ahead.Had a ball.The car never let us down.Then it was bangalore,gujrat once kolkotta and where not.All this heavy high speed highway running on bad roads took a toll on the car.Its first suspension job came as early as 25 thousand km and we also changed the tyres from cross ply to JK radials then.

After that the stability improved and i got a first hand experience of it when i started driving the car from as early as 14 of course under dads supervision.Was always interested in cars so used to observe how my dad drives,pedal moment bla bla.My first highway trip was mumbai to nasik.Had got a fake learnin licence made and was allowed to drive on the highways for the first time

Before i was in love with the looks of the car and now i was in love with the driving pleasure of the car.Everything seemed so perfect.The trips out of mumbai went on and i was the official driver now.From 25 thousand to 50 thousand km was covered in a little over 1 nd half years

The car was always used for highway trips and never for city use.Many a times we went to mahabaleshwar from mumbai. just to have lunch and return back to mumbai in the evening.We were that car crazy and travelling freaks

In between at 45 thousand km the clutch plates/pressure plates/wheel bearings were changed.Suspension seemed fine.

Then i turned 16 and i went to bangalore to do my diploma in automobile engg and my dad got busy with work so car was hardly used and it used to stay for months lying in the building without any momemt.
In 3 years the car ran hardly around 4 thousand km.Used to come from bangalore in holidays,used to run it for 10days and get back.Another Idle stint the car had for months.
This took a toll on the car and also the mumbai rains.After finally comin back from bangalore the car was at 54 thousand km.

The left axle was history,She would not start properly nor run properly.Got everythin opened up and got a fat bill of 10 grand for that service.
She is purring away since then with minor glitches here and then.
Since the 2 years we are back to our highway ways and have been using her for some more crazy trips.

Things that i have got replaced the car since 2 years.
Both axles
Right side half apron
Got the entire suspension and steering system replaced at 68 thousand km.
Tyres changed to MRF ZVTS 145/80/R12( Lousy tyres) and 2 new rims
Starter Overhauled
Alternator Overhauled
Carburator Overhauled
Front brake rotors replaced
Brake drums replaced
Distributor Replaced
Ignition coil replaced
Battery replaced twice(her entire life span)
Sump took a hit once so got that replaced
Front cross member rusted because of the bull bar so got that replaced
She once caught fire in the seat overnight due to some short circuit and the entire car was a mess in the morning with the entire drivers seat burned to chars and everythin inside turned to yellow with a suffocating smell.Took more than a month for the smell to go and had to get the entire seat remade

Oh yeah when she was 2 years old my friend put her below our building ground floor balcony with my mom in the passengers seat.Bonnet/Pillar/Windshied were history.The mechanicals were safe and it was only body damage.Costed Us 13 grand at a maruti authorised service station to get everything done.

All the while on the highway use with my dads stints and my stints with the car our main intention is to have fun so mileage is never on our agenda but still we ve got 18 plus always with minimum AC usage.

Got the 80 thousand km Service done today and she is back to her purrin days.9 nd half years.A journey in which many friends came,some left,dated a girl,have awesome memories with her in the car,she left but basanti stayed on.
In Bad times,good times,pathetic times i knew there is one thing that will always be there and that is this car.Dad and me had taken her to a true value to sell her of and buy a new alto a year back.Gave that guy the car,booked an alto.On the way back home,turned around and got the car back.It was really difficult to part.
Everytime she comes from the service station after a service i have a smile pasted on my face for days to come after that.
I once remember a line which my ex told me while i was redlining her at reclamation[/SIZE]
"i have never seen such a smile on your face even when you have met me after long" and she was right about how i feel.

For now she is old and we are in a dilemma weather to keep her or let her go as except me no one uses the car and we are getting the swift diesel in sometime.But one thing is for sure.She sure made me enjoy my childhood and teenage years and still continues to do so.

This cherry red 800 shall be remembered by my friends and family for all the good times we have had in her and shall be missed a lot after she is gone.
We meet to part,and part to meet.We shall get back together some day and have the same fun again

Here are some of her latest pics

Last edited by humyum : 3rd March 2008 at 23:50.
Old 4th March 2008, 00:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

And guys one more 80 thousand km report comin up in sometime of believe it or not a 2003 honda dio.
Old 4th March 2008, 00:09   #3
BHPian

"Had got a fake learnin licence made and was allowed to drive on the highways for the first time"

Not good.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:50   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
humyum : Dad and me had taken her to a true value to sell her of and buy a new alto a year back.Gave that guy the car,booked an alto.On the way back home,turned around and got the car back.It was really difficult to part.
The new friend is like new wine. When it is old, thou shalt drink it with pleasure. In between, you'll feel exactly like you did when you went to the true value dealer. And when you did that U turn to bring her back home.

Do you need to sell the baby ? If not, let her be. No true value or other dealer can give you anything close to what this baby means to you.
Old 4th March 2008, 10:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful expression of what your Basanti means to you! Have a gala time with her. I know parting a vehicle which is very much a part of your family and you is very difficult. Take good care of the car and you will love it more...
Old 4th March 2008, 18:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The new friend is like new wine. When it is old, thou shalt drink it with pleasure. In between, you'll feel exactly like you did when you went to the true value dealer. And when you did that U turn to bring her back home.

Do you need to sell the baby ? If not, let her be. No true value or other dealer can give you anything close to what this baby means to you.
True value quoted her at 35 thousand.Ive spent way more on the car in the last 2 years than 35 grand and all he pays is 35 grand.Disgusting.
I dont need to sell this car but i ll not be used much as there is one driver(me) and 2 cars.This 800 and a swift diesel.Hence in a dilemma.

Last edited by humyum : 4th March 2008 at 18:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks