Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2008, 12:26   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
It is not speculation - Just pure knowledge got 1st hand from the oil companies.
(I buy oils and it pays to know what is going on in the market)
hey king...

no offence dude.

i agree that it pays to know what going on in the market - just that there are so many conflicting reports all over the place (even on THIS forum) it can leave your head spinning after a while.

what is a good brand of API - CH4 oil to use in the 2.2 safari for future reference? okay - ignore that, i think the answer lies in a previous post!!

stay safe. cheers:
Old 19th March 2008, 12:33   #212
Senior - BHPian

It should be CH4 specifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
"okkkkaaayyy..."

..but me now VERY confused.
(it don't take much dudes - ask my wife!!)

what SHOULD be in the 2.2 engine bay CF4 or CH4?

i know i should be reading my manual - just that i do not have access to the damn thing for the next 25 hours

and please tell me that it is purely speculation on what comes factory filled from tata in the safari.

i await enlightenment.
Yes, I saw that the oil companies (TATA sources from Castrol) do state that GTD should be used but when I asked the Concorde SA on which oil will he use for the 2.2l topup he told me Castrol GTX diesel.

Quote:
It is not speculation - Just pure knowledge got 1st hand from the oil companies.
(I buy oils and it pays to know what is going on in the market)
Old 19th March 2008, 12:33   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bIte tHe bulLet View Post
hey king...

no offence dude.
Non taken. Just making a point.
Old 20th March 2008, 19:50   #214
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone notice a change in cranking and engine shudder during switch off or is it only me hallucinating. Both have reduced after this fitment.

Cranking has become shorter.

Shudder during switchoff has reduced.
Old 20th March 2008, 22:53   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Does anyone notice a change in cranking and engine shudder during switch off or is it only me hallucinating. Both have reduced after this fitment.

Cranking has become shorter.

Shudder during switchoff has reduced.
Dadu, this is the first thing I noticed when you compare a Safari and Grande. Grande shudders more.

Mine's sure has shorter cranking, ie, it starts up with very less effort. Is that what you meant?
Old 21st March 2008, 09:05   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Do post your experiences with system D, although I feel its another kind of an external additive but a subtle one than Xtramile/turbojet.
I filled up with system D along with Reliance diesel. The Krrr noise is just as bad as with Premium Diesel.

In the next fill I filled up with IOCL normal diesel. I could immediately hear/feel the reduction in noise.

I had this diesel in the tank when I changed the pulley assly.

Yes, I could feel a reduction in the shudder, slightly less cranking reqd, overall engine noise slightly reduced (don't know the reason why) and better smoothness.

Last edited by kingshukt : 21st March 2008 at 09:21.
Old 21st March 2008, 12:51   #217
Senior - BHPian

Yes, thats what I meant but you have just bought it and so it would have
come with the newly designed pulley for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Mine's sure has shorter cranking, ie, it starts up with very less effort. Is that what you meant?
Yeah! system D with normal diesel means lesser noise as I stated in one of my posts earlier too.

I think I noticed that the diameter of the pulley was more than the one which was replaced, when they showed me the replacement and this could be a possible reason for the crank/ shudder reduction but as for the noise, its all due to system D+ normal fuel.

Quote:
I filled up with system D along with Reliance diesel. The Krrr noise is just as bad as with Premium Diesel.

In the next fill I filled up with IOCL normal diesel. I could immediately hear/feel the reduction in noise.

I had this diesel in the tank when I changed the pulley assly.

Yes, I could feel a reduction in the shudder, slightly less cranking reqd, overall engine noise slightly reduced (don't know the reason why) and better smoothness.
Old 21st March 2008, 13:10   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Before my first service, mine used to start with short cranking. But, after the first service, the cranking has to be a little longer to start up.

Quote:
...this could be a possible reason for the crank/ shudder reduction ...
If I see a noticeable shudder and longer crank to start up, should I be looking for a possible pulley change?
Old 21st March 2008, 19:02   #219
Senior - BHPian

IIRC yours is also an older purchase and therefore you should change to the newly modified crankshaft pulley but its meant for a totally different reasons than you want to, see posts by kingshuk/ me earlier on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncity View Post
If I see a noticeable shudder and longer crank to start up, should I be looking for a possible pulley change?
Old 22nd March 2008, 07:02   #220
BHPian

Quote:
IIRC yours is also an older purchase and therefore you should change to the newly modified crankshaft pulley but its meant for a totally different reasons than you want to, see posts by kingshuk/ me earlier on this.
Mine is a Jan 2008 vehicle got it from Concorde. I've been quite busy and couldn't post my ownership report.

I'm not sure if it carries the old design of crankshaft pulley. I'm planning for a long trip to East coast. I'll better call Concorde and ask them about this change.
Old 22nd March 2008, 20:07   #221
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you speak to one of your known service advisor to find out when the new version of the spare was released by TATA.

That would prevent any unnecessary change of this spare. Its better to the engine stock factory

Please post if you find the release dates, it'll help others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncity View Post
Mine is a Jan 2008 vehicle got it from Concorde. I've been quite busy and couldn't post my ownership report.

I'm not sure if it carries the old design of crankshaft pulley. I'm planning for a long trip to East coast. I'll better call Concorde and ask them about this change.
Old 22nd March 2008, 23:16   #222
BHPian

guys, there is one hiccup kind of thing i have been feeling in my vehicle from the very beginning, tried to sort out at the first service but it has persisted.
can be felt moving in the 2-3 gears and occasionally the 4th, one or two sudden jerks, as if the fuel is cut of for a moment, akin to bikes misfiring. not very frequent, but does come up once in a while and has become an irritant of late.
anyone else experienced the same, or any suggestions?
Old 23rd March 2008, 11:59   #223
Senior - BHPian

I too experienced it earlier in the running, but dont feel it now. I dont know if its because of the running-in (4k now) or due to system D used for last 2 tankloads now. Earlier than that I was using premium diesel.

How much KM's have you put in ?? and what fuel do you use, which brand ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
guys, there is one hiccup kind of thing i have been feeling in my vehicle from the very beginning, tried to sort out at the first service but it has persisted.
can be felt moving in the 2-3 gears and occasionally the 4th, one or two sudden jerks, as if the fuel is cut of for a moment, akin to bikes misfiring. not very frequent, but does come up once in a while and has become an irritant of late.
Old 23rd March 2008, 17:24   #224
BHPian

hi dadu, i have done about 2.8k now. reading about all the benefits of system-d i am very tempted to try it. reason i have not yet tried is i have a fuel bunk near my office which i frequent and all i can get there is turbo laziness has been getting the better of me till now.
hope to get rid of this hiccup thing, pretty annoying sometimes. awaiting reports from other 2.2 riders.
Old 23rd March 2008, 21:31   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
Hi
Driven my beast for 6.5K kms now. Never experienced something llike this missing thing you are reporting.
I however used to experience something similar on my Hyundai Accent about five years earlier. That time the problem used to crop up whenever I used to top up the fuel. The car used to give hickups or miss like the problem you have explained, especially when changing gears, but it used to go away after driving the car about 80-100 kms (after top up). I mean the vehicle used to give problems only when the fuel was filled up to the top. The problem was identified as a faulty fuel pump, and after changing the faulty part, i never experienced something of that nature in my car. Maybe this helps.

Another reason that immediately comes to mind is bad quality fuel. Try changing the outlet, and still if the problem presists try getting the fuel pump checked.

Please keep us updated on this issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks