Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2008, 15:14   #181
Senior - BHPian

I did a 724Km trip to pondicherry and based on my experience with all the three fuel types (Premium, Normal, with SystemD) here's MY opinion.

Normal Diesel

- Noise and engine refinement was good (low krrr noise etc)
- Gave me poor FE in the city
- Pickup and turbo kick suffered

Premium Diesel (Xtramile)

- Noise and engine krrr higher than the others.
- Gave good FE in the city
- Pickup and turbo kick were at its best.

Normal Diesel with System D

Gave good balance between FE, turbokick and lowered engine noise amongst the three.

Let me also quote what turbanman wrote in his blog.

Quote:
  • Plain Diesel: As mentioned earlier the beast is now running on plain diesel. The noise and vibration levels had come down considerable after the fuel change. But the perceived zip also seemed to have reduced a little. Hence, decided to give System-D a shot.
  • System-D: Filled up 40 liters of diesel before the trip and added 40ml of System-D to it. After a few kilometers I noticed the difference straight away. Even lesser noise and vibrations than before and now the engine was smoother than its ever been. I will highly recommend this to all Safari owners.

I will stick to System D with normal diesel now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
I am not sure on this. I am not able to understand how the Turbo will reduce power to such an extent.

The Turbo-kick with the Premium fuels was awesome. But till the turbo kicked in I used to feel a lack of power.

I am still able to (I think!) get the same power ( eg: to overtake those pesky rickshawallas ) as earlier.

I think we would take the experiences of more 2.2 owners on this.

The Safari crossed 3000km mark.

Last edited by dadu : 13th February 2008 at 15:15.
Old 13th February 2008, 19:39   #182
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tip

Dadu,

Thanks for the very useful info on the Fuel type and FE/noise levels. I switched to Shell during my last refill, and am counting the miles...

Hope to do a Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore this weekend. Will post my FE numbers.

BTW, I did the same Pondi route in December. Was a pretty good drive. Went via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Gingee-tindivanam and Came back via ECR-Chennai-Vedanthangal (bird sanctuary)-GQ-Kanchipuram-Kolar-Bangalore.
Old 14th February 2008, 10:47   #183
BHPian

Srini,

I have been filling shell as well & am unable to justify the huge price difference in the extra diesel segment. They have hiked the prices twice, before any of the govt. outlets did.

Planning to follow the advice now on plain diesel + systemD.
Old 16th February 2008, 10:08   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Srini,

I have been filling shell as well & am unable to justify the huge price difference in the extra diesel segment. They have hiked the prices twice, before any of the govt. outlets did.

Planning to follow the advice now on plain diesel + systemD.
BP Plain Diesel and [COLOR=#0000ff]Hi-Speed Diesel[/COLOR] is good, there is no problem.
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:13   #185
BHPian

Bangy boyz,

I have discovered a short, but a challenging offroading stretch - CAN I PATENT IT PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS?

Driving to the city from Hebbal flyover, the moment you get down from the flyover, 100 mtrs further, the stretch to the extreme left is one hell of a track. Though it is getting levelled day by day, with more & more vehicles taking the offroad, it has been an worderful experience.

From the city towards hebbal flyover, again the stretch from vertinary college to the flyover, the offroad is quite intact, 'coz, very few people take that.
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:26   #186
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Bangy boyz,

I have discovered a short, but a challenging offroading stretch - CAN I PATENT IT PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS?

Driving to the city from Hebbal flyover, the moment you get down from the flyover, 100 mtrs further, the stretch to the extreme left is one hell of a track. Though it is getting levelled day by day, with more & more vehicles taking the offroad, it has been an worderful experience.

From the city towards hebbal flyover, again the stretch from vertinary college to the flyover, the offroad is quite intact, 'coz, very few people take that.
Your Patent will be shortlived... That Stretch will be converted to a Service Road. .
Old 17th March 2008, 15:20   #187
Senior - BHPian

Vehicle has been recalled by TATA for Spare replacement

I have received an SMS by Manipal Motors to bring the vehicle in for spare replacement.

I called the number and the service advisor told me to bring the vehicle in as a Chain & Pulley has to be replaced with a modified one supplied by TATA's. It will take 3-4 hours.

Going in tomorrow.
Old 17th March 2008, 15:59   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Vehicle has been recalled by TATA for Spare replacement

I have received an SMS by Manipal Motors to bring the vehicle in for spare replacement.

I called the number and the service advisor told me to bring the vehicle in as a Chain & Pulley has to be replaced with a modified one supplied by TATA's. It will take 3-4 hours.

Going in tomorrow.
Phoned up my dealer / workshop. Apparantly this replacement is only for some vehicles. the workshop has been given a list of Chassis nos in which this change is to take place.

I will be informed if it is applicable for my vehicle also.

By the way if you remain in the workshop during this replacement, please check out which chain and Sprocket are being replaced. The only chain and sprocket that comes to my mind is the chain and sprocket that drives the oil pump and is accessible from the oil sump.
Old 17th March 2008, 16:11   #189
Senior - BHPian

I will not be present for the whole time as its a working day but I will try to gather whatever info I can. btw he told me that they are replacing them in 3-4 vehicles every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Phoned up my dealer / workshop. Apparantly this replacement is only for some vehicles. the workshop has been given a list of Chassis nos in which this change is to take place.

I will be informed if it is applicable for my vehicle also.

By the way if you remain in the workshop during this replacement, please check out which chain and Sprocket are being replaced. The only chain and sprocket that comes to my mind is the chain and sprocket that drives the oil pump and is accessible from the oil sump.

Last edited by dadu : 17th March 2008 at 16:13.
Old 18th March 2008, 10:42   #190
Senior - BHPian

Okay, I am back after leaving the Safari with them. The service advisor explained the following:

- They have received a circular from TATA to replace the Crankshaft pulley assembly in a particular batch of vehicles and TATA has supplied a newly designed assembly. Manipal is replacing these in 102 vehicles sold by them falling under that batch.

- If not replaced it can cause premature engine seal damage leading to oil leakage and belt wearout. Normal life for seal/belt is 60,000 kms.

- Oil will be drained, assembly replaced and oil will be filled back in. Bumper, grill etc will not be removed.
Old 18th March 2008, 10:54   #191
Team-BHP Support

What engine oil are they using in your 2.2?
Old 18th March 2008, 10:59   #192
Senior - BHPian

Its the factory filled oil, havent changed it yet. Only topped once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What engine oil are they using in your 2.2?
Old 18th March 2008, 22:23   #193
BHPian

Gents....did anyone of you get a spare updation request from TASS???

They call something like a "damper pulley", may be I heard it wrong on the phone. TASS claimed that there is a recall on the spare & I will be visiting them this saturday at Manipal to have it replaced FOC.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:05   #194
Senior - BHPian

I got back mine in the evening with a complimentary wash. Saw the new pulley and what had changed, more grooves and more holes.

But the peculiar part which I noticed in my conversation was that the service advisor emphasizing that only they (manipal) are changing it since if the part(seal/ belt) fails later on due to this, there is no warranty for these failed parts and as per circular from TATA's on the modified part.

He also told me that TATA's had detected problems in some initial vehicles related to this and therefore came out with this modified spare.

I am suspecting that its not a mandatory recall but an advisory by TATA's to its dealers. Have other members received any calls from other dealers too ??

Damper pulley = Crankshaft pulley, it looks similar to below.

Quote:
Gents....did anyone of you get a spare updation request from TASS???

They call something like a "damper pulley", may be I heard it wrong on the phone. TASS claimed that there is a recall on the spare & I will be visiting them this saturday at Manipal to have it replaced FOC.
Attached Thumbnails
Safari DICOR 2.2 VTT - Ex 4x2 - Artic Silver-psp_eng_100_2.jpg  

Safari DICOR 2.2 VTT - Ex 4x2 - Artic Silver-damper-pulley.jpg  

Old 19th March 2008, 10:12   #195
BHPian

dadu,

any idea whether this recall is applicable to new'ish cars as well?

i was just wondering whether i need to call the service centre guys (although i wouldn't hold my breath becasue vivek is a pile of c**p in any case!)

cheers.

Most Viewed