Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 21:55   #886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu0611 View Post
Hi Guys...

2. While re-fueling, I could smell diesel for a long time inside the cabin. The AC was on so the windows were rolled up and still the smell was persistent for good 15-20 minutes. But after that there was no smell at all.
Don't know wot the problem was. Can there be some kind of leakage problem?

Can anyone please advise on the above?
Just check the position of blower in the dash. If it was set in the position when it takes air from outside, your car is likely to suck in diesel fumes.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:17   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Just check the position of blower in the dash. If it was set in the position when it takes air from outside, your car is likely to suck in diesel fumes.
No I have set the blower position where it just rotates the cabin air.
Just for your information - I re-fueled yesterday as well and again i could smell the diesel for sometime. I hope this is common to other Swift D owners as well.

One more thing on which I would like get some inputs. I have completed around 880 odd kms on ODO. I would my car services for the first time. Please suggest what all do i need to get done.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:24   #888
Team-BHP Support

This is very common, happens all the time with me.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:35   #889
Team-BHP Support

No its not usual to get diesel smell, unless there is an air gap somewhere. Note this down for your first service. Similarly if you are facing any problems note it down and discuss with your service adviser.

Apart from the regular check ups and the above, you can ask them to do an engine oil and oil filter replacement. But this will be a paid job and will cost around 900 Rs in total. Ensure your service center is using Mobil Delvac oil, if they dont have it get it from outside.

EDIT: Diesel smell will crop in if you have left the windows or door open for a while, when parked for refill (getting out and in). This cant be helped. Also there is usually a breather hose system in fuel fill system, which if blocked can cause fume to get inside the cabin. Not sure if Swift DDIS has this.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th October 2009 at 11:37.
Old 27th October 2009, 14:18   #890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Manu0611 : .. I re-fueled yesterday as well and again i could smell the diesel for sometime.
Jaggu : Diesel smell will crop in if you have left the windows or door open for a while, when parked for refill (getting out and in). This cant be helped.
@Manu, is it diesel fuel or exhaust fumes ?
Old 27th October 2009, 16:15   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
EDIT: Diesel smell will crop in if you have left the windows or door open for a while, when parked for refill (getting out and in). This cant be helped. Also there is usually a breather hose system in fuel fill system, which if blocked can cause fume to get inside the cabin. Not sure if Swift DDIS has this.
I don't keep windows and door open for much time while at fuel stations. Moreover in my old (petrol) car I in fact used to leave the door open for the whole of time it took to re-fuel but never had such fuel smell problem in the cabin. Also I use AC 100% so windows are almost always closed.

Surely I will raise these issues during my 1st service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Manu, is it diesel fuel or exhaust fumes ?
It is not the exhaust for sure !!

Last edited by Eddy : 27th October 2009 at 16:30. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts. Use the edit option if posting within 20 min. Thanks
Old 27th October 2009, 17:32   #892
BHPian

I have done approx 900 Kms till now. The 1st service is due at 1K and I don't have time before the weekend to get the service done. Also since I drive to work daily (nearly 45 kms one way), I may add another 300 kms to the mileage by the weekend.

Can Maruti folks pose any kind of problem if I take the car for 1st service at around 1300 kms? If anyone has had such an experience then please let me know the end result.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:56   #893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Manu0611 : Can Maruti folks pose any kind of problem if I take the car for 1st service at around 1300 kms?
Give them a heads-up. Tell them the estimated time when you can go for servicing. 300km should not be a problem.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:15   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Ensure your service center is using Mobil Delvac oil, if they dont have it get it from outside.
Is it wise to use Mobil Delvac on a new Engine which just over 1k KM, considering its high lubricating efficiency will hamper the wear and tear of the new engine, which is required at this stage ?
Old 28th October 2009, 10:09   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from the regular check ups and the above, you can ask them to do an engine oil and oil filter replacement. But this will be a paid job and will cost around 900 Rs in total. Ensure your service center is using Mobil Delvac oil, if they dont have it get it from outside.
Just called up the service guys to check if they have Mobil Delvac. They say that they have something called Mobil One which the same. Also on enquiring for the cost of the first FREE service, I got two different replies. One said the oil and filter would cost you around 1.5 - 2K and the other one said atleast 3.5K. I am confused now.
Old 28th October 2009, 10:15   #896
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajswiftvdi View Post
Is it wise to use Mobil Delvac on a new Engine which just over 1k KM, considering its high lubricating efficiency will hamper the wear and tear of the new engine, which is required at this stage ?
No its a better oil, but that doesnt mean it will hamper running-in. It has better protection when used in heavy stop and go traffic and long highway jaunts. Thats why i recommended it.

Quote:
Just called up the service guys to check if they have Mobil Delvac. They say that they have something called Mobil One which the same. Also on enquiring for the cost of the first FREE service, I got two different replies. One said the oil and filter would cost you around 1.5 - 2K and the other one said atleast 3.5K. I am confused now.
Mobil 1 is fully synthetic petrol engine oil, i will not recommend the same for DDIS. Its expensive also and the quote of 3.5 is correct. What i recommend is to get Delvac MX which will be approx 200 per liter.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th October 2009 at 10:19.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:19   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Mobil 1 is fully synthetic petrol engine oil, i will not recommend the same for DDIS. Its expensive also and the quote of 3.5 is correct. What i recommend is to get Delvac MX which will be approx 200 per liter.
Thanks for the input Jaggu. This means that probably I'll have to get Delvac MX from outside and give it to the service guys. How much quantity do I need to purchase for the 1st service? I read somewhere that the quantity may vary depending upon if the oil is filter is being replaced or not. With no filter replacement it is 2.9L and 3.5L otherwise. Please confirm.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:28   #898
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the input Jaggu. This means that probably I'll have to get Delvac MX from outside and give it to the service guys. How much quantity do I need to purchase for the 1st service? I read somewhere that the quantity may vary depending upon if the oil is filter is being replaced or not. With no filter replacement it is 2.9L and 3.5L otherwise. Please confirm.
Option 1) (Recommended) - Oil + Oil filter = 3.1 to 3.2 liter at the max. DO NOT put 3.5 liter though manual says it can take that much.

Option 2) - Only oil change = 2.9 liters.

This will be same for all the service, ie whenever you are doing an oil change.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:39   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Option 1) (Recommended) - Oil + Oil filter = 3.1 to 3.2 liter at the max. DO NOT put 3.5 liter though manual says it can take that much.

Option 2) - Only oil change = 2.9 liters.

This will be same for all the service, ie whenever you are doing an oil change.
Synthetic engine oil seems to be a newer and better technology (I'm just guessing this as I don't have much knowledge). Then when can one start using the synthetic oil for the engine?
I guess you are emphasizing on Delvac MX to leverage the run-in period to the maximum possible limit. Am I correct?
Old 28th October 2009, 12:57   #900
Team-BHP Support

Yes and No, synthetic is obviously better and can be used after 5k kms BUT Mobil 1 is primarily brewed for Petrol engines, though is used for diesels also. Unfortunately Mobil 1 doesnt give the best for DDIS engine (as per others who have tried it).

Right synthetic equivalent for diesel is Mobil Delvac 1, which is tough to procure in India.

Most Viewed