Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 18:04   #721
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! For Rs. 2,800 that's a really good finish. Will visit the guy once my car completes 2 years. Great to see the condition of your car Jaggu, especially after 2 full years of driving.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 1st June 2009, 19:41   #722
BHPian

Oil time again

To revive the Pride vs. Delvac MX story, here's mine. Let the car for service some time back and Mandovi (who had for quite a while used Delvac MX) change the oil and put in Pride. Checked with the SA who seemed confident that all was well with the oil. Was going out of town and about 1100 kms were covered in 4 days and the car ran fine without any problems. With that experience, I was less inclined to agree with Jaggu who was unhappy with Pride from the get go. But come back into town and get back to the grind and that's where things get interesting. Engine starts getting raspy, uneven idling, reduced mileage (least of my worries), harsh engine note, felt like engine parts were scraping things inside, increased clatter. Ran it with this oil for another 1300 kms and reached the end of my tether.

Decided to put Jaggu's theory to test and went and picked up MX and next day was at Mandovi for the change. SA seemed surprised but is not one to say no. Since it was only an oil change I wanted to supervise it. Out comes the drain plug and what I saw shocked me. The oil that drained was black and opaque. This just 2400 kms after the oil change. Imagining what it was doing to my engine scared me. Anyway, MX goes in, 5 kms later the happy hum of the engine is back. Car seems satiated with the brew.

Take her out on a drive to Chennai the next day and there is a marked difference in low end torque and the engine revs without struggle or complaint. 376 kms later the car is humming along almost inaudible whilst cruising, significant reduction in clatter, warms up better and at idle you could barely hear it.

I am not a docile or sedate driver by any stretch of imagination and have no qualms redlining the engine. I do believe Pride is fine for in city driving and nothing beyond 3000 rpm on the odd occasion. But if you like to drive the car hard, MX is the way to go. It does wonders for the engine and has even made in-city driving easier. No longer do I have to accelerate that little bit more to get the car moving.

Maruti, if you are listening you are doing your customers a disservice by recommending Pride. Unless this is a clever ploy to increase maintenance costs in the long run, so you benefit from our misery. It shocks me that a company that is customer focussed would even think of suggesting Pride for the DDiS.

Jaggu, thanks for your detailed posts. This one time I am very happy to have been proven wrong.

Cheers all!
Old 2nd June 2009, 18:22   #723
Team-BHP Support

Thanks kartik for sharing your unbiased feedback. It really matters since you have run substantial kms before switching over unlike me.

I also did a drive of over 1300 kms in last 3 days and am very happy that i drained that PRIDE thingie out for good. The engine purrs like a petrol engine and no issue with red lining stuff also. Idle is sweet and barely audible once warmed up.

800 kms with average speeds of EDIT wrong calc its 66+ kph = 120-140 cruising for 60% of the drive and she delivered 20+ mileage, what more can i ask for.

Though my tires seem to be running out of thread partly due to stupid air pressure gauges in Koramangala which shows more for less. Pumped up couple of pounds all around, and tire wear has gone back to even/flat (earlier sides were wearing out).

Another 1500 kms and its time for 35k oil change, yes Delvac MX it will be

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd June 2009 at 18:54.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:09   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
and like some one else pointed out- they even charged you for clips and stuff- Cheapos!
You need to get on a PR offensive at your service centre.
(quoted from post #372 on pg 25)

OT: Recently, Sai Service Borivali charged us for hacksaw blades and sand paper during the 51K service of our M-800!

Last edited by AkMar : 4th June 2009 at 12:10.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:47   #725
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu, i saw one swift opened its front bumber may be for repairing, but was running on roads and i could see its radiator,mesh and was scared to see nothing safety given there not even a iron rod to save from bang, man is swift's front that scary on built part or i was asuming that much
Old 4th June 2009, 15:33   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The oil that drained was black and opaque. This just 2400 kms after the oil change. Imagining what it was doing to my engine scared me. Anyway, MX goes in, 5 kms later the happy hum of the engine is back. Car seems satiated with the brew.
kartik, that is normal for all diesel engines, irrespective of oils. But glad that your engine is back in shape
Old 4th June 2009, 21:21   #727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
Jaggu, i saw one swift opened its front bumber may be for repairing, but was running on roads and i could see its radiator,mesh and was scared to see nothing safety given there not even a iron rod to save from bang, man is swift's front that scary on built part or i was asuming that much
Yup its pretty naked inside, i have posted the picture with bumper removed in this thread. A pair of iron rod do exist but its very inadequate when it comes to saving the radiator and associated parts.
Old 5th June 2009, 08:17   #728
BANNED

Sai Service

Guys
I have enquired my dealer Sai Service,ernakulam regarding the brand of engine oil they use. The SA said they use servo and they add an oil additive also. Anyone have an idea about the 'additive' part? So what shall I do to change the oil to mobil? The car is under warranty . I asked them whether they would change to mobil if I bought it from outside and they flatly refused.
The problem with most SA is that they do not know or dont have the inclination to know the intricate details of the engines they service.
The same SA told me the engine check light goes off only after I start the engine. That much for his knowledge.

PS* Does anyone know any other shop in cochin who deals in Mobil oils?The shop near Mamangalam does not have stock of Mobil Delvac..
Cheers
Dilip

Last edited by dilipkumar7278 : 5th June 2009 at 08:20.
Old 5th June 2009, 12:46   #729
Team-BHP Support

Engine oil additive will be mostly 3M stuff that MUL recommends. Will cost you some 400 bucks.
Old 5th June 2009, 13:24   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yup its pretty naked inside, i have posted the picture with bumper removed in this thread. A pair of iron rod do exist but its very inadequate when it comes to saving the radiator and associated parts.
Jaggu,
I think it's due to the pedestrian crash norms in UK/Europe, which mandate that incase of a crash a pedestrian should suffer the least, hence most bumpers are soft & damage prone even in the lightest of crashes
Old 5th June 2009, 13:46   #731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jaggu : Engine oil additive will be mostly 3M stuff that MUL recommends. Will cost you some 400 bucks.
3M additive is 570/- for 250 ml.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1256611-post16.html
Old 5th June 2009, 14:15   #732
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
3M additive is 570/- for 250 ml.
Is this the price it retails at M.A.S.S? If you buy it outside, its cheaper. Last time as engine flush was used in my engine and the MRP on the bottle was Rs. 245 but they billed me as Rs. 600. Next time, I'll buy it from outside and give it to them.

I've seen these additives in stores like METRO.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 5th June 2009, 16:48   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

For the product itself, they should charge you max the retail price.

You need to check why they charged you 600 instead of 245. Any labor component must be listed separately.

For 3M additive, 570/- is the retail price. 400/- at Metro.
Old 5th June 2009, 17:11   #734
BHPian

Hi Jaggu,

This thread of yours has answers to all queries one can have about Swift. Great work bro! I have a Dzire ZDi and planning to hit the Himalayas in the next 10 days or so. Currently readying the car for the trip. It is 7 month, 13500 km old. Got the last service at 10,000 km. Request you to please help me with the following queries:

1. I propose to get a service done at around 14000 km before the trip in the next few days. One service will have to be done afer the trip. I am going to Lauhal Spiti or Gangotri, Yamnotri, Badrinath and Kedarnath.
2. I have been running the car on mineral Mobil Delvac. Planning to get a flush done and shift to a semi synth by Mobil. I find Synt too expensive. And a pal from oil industry insists that they are not worth for our kind of driving.
3. What exactly is an oil additive? To which oil should it be added?
4. Do I need to carry a system D fuel additive to be mixed to counter the poor quality of diesel on highways in Himalayas?
5. Wanting to get skid plates installed. Motorcraft in Noida has quoted me Rs 8500 plus taxes @ 12.36% for Aluminium plates for oil sump, transmission and fuel tank. I find this expensive. How much do you think it should cost? Any suggestions where can I get it done in Mumbai or alternate place in Delhi (NCR)?
6. Anything else that you think I should get done to ready the car for the trip.

Cheers!
Dushmish
Old 5th June 2009, 17:52   #735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Request you to please help me with the following queries:

1. I propose to get a service done at around 14000 km before the trip in the next few days. One service will have to be done afer the trip. I am going to Lauhal Spiti or Gangotri, Yamnotri, Badrinath and Kedarnath.
2. I have been running the car on mineral Mobil Delvac. Planning to get a flush done and shift to a semi synth by Mobil. I find Synt too expensive. And a pal from oil industry insists that they are not worth for our kind of driving.
3. What exactly is an oil additive? To which oil should it be added?
4. Do I need to carry a system D fuel additive to be mixed to counter the poor quality of diesel on highways in Himalayas?
5. Wanting to get skid plates installed. Motorcraft in Noida has quoted me Rs 8500 plus taxes @ 12.36% for Aluminium plates for oil sump, transmission and fuel tank. I find this expensive. How much do you think it should cost? Any suggestions where can I get it done in Mumbai or alternate place in Delhi (NCR)?
6. Anything else that you think I should get done to ready the car for the trip.

Cheers!
Dushmish
1) Do the service few days prior to your trip, ask them to check all fluids and brakes. Tighten all suspension parts. Drive around and if you find anything amiss attend to it before you start the trip. Ask them to change the air filter and diesel filter since you are starting off with a big trip.

2) Stick to Mobil Delvac MX or if you can get hold Mobil Delvac 1, there are no other options which are semisynthetic in nature which is suitable for this car.

3) Oil additives are supposed to help keep the oil in better shape for longer period, and help in some cleaning by having detergents in them. One which MUL is a safe bet.

4) System D is really not required, especially since it will not help in case of adulteration. Instead ensure that you fill up from bigger/reputed pumps in bigger cities/major towns. Carry 20 Lit cans so that you can have a better range.

5) Better check with Delhi guys, garages that help prepare rally cars will be able to assist you well.

6) Carry a basic torch light, tow rope, tool kit, first aid kit and medicines including those for mountain sickness. Carrying a spare tube, puncture kit and an air pump is a good idea. Keep Maruti help line numbers and A>S>S address and numbers (better to confirm they are valid by calling before starting the trip). Last but not least carry all the car documentation (including pollution certificate) and keep copies of the same.

You can check for more detailed list in the threads created by other members.

Have an enjoyable and safe trip.

Most Viewed