Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2015, 20:50   #2926
BHPian

re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!

@intoxicangel

I think it is worth the money spent.

I have an 8 year old Swift VDi which 1,59,100 on Odo which is due for 1st Clutch replacement in the next service, 2nd Suspension overhauling (1st one was around 70K on ODO).

I also had injector cluttering and as per the recommendation from Maruti SA I use Shell Diesel at times which cleans up and clutter is gone. Nothing else have been done for this. Try it out if you have not tried already
Old 18th May 2015, 08:42   #2927
BANNED

re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
I own a 2009 Swift Vdi having done about 75k on the clock & now there are a few niggles that I am facing.

1) Clutch Plate - Needs replacement, which is on my priority list. The plates apparently still might have another 2-3k kms life in them.
Clutch plates + pressure plates - 3200
Clutch release bearings - 3300 to 3500

Not an issue, get them changed as you say there is a drop in performance.

Quote:
2) Suspension - Needs replacement, become soft & spongyish now.
Get the car checked from a competent mechanic and ONLY replace parts that are worn out. Like bushes and springs mostly!

Quote:
3) Injectors need cleaning - diesel clatter has been there from day 1, but most times depending on acceleration, the engine sounds like a DI engine. It has been diagnosed as injector issues by the Bosch service center I go to.
Hope all 4 injectors are in working condition! Clatter from the 1.3L DDiS NVH levels are great so seems to be the issue. I guess the fuel quality is not the actual culprit?!

Quote:
- Will she run another 1.5L KMS without showing signs of aging with continued regular maintenance?
She will run 2L kms too OF you want her to run. Take to a good MASS or any genuine, good mechanic who can get that car back into shape.

Quote:
- Will she trouble me with constant visits to the svc?
She may not, provided you take her to a good doctor.

Quote:
- Anyone know what are the next level of suspension available for the car? (not looking at spending a fortune on it)
If interested in performance shocks then look at aftermarket ones but I am sure they'll be costing you a bomb. If not go for OEM units as they are the best suited for the car.

Quote:
- Anyone know what's a better brand of clutch plate to use for the car?
IMO and IIRC they are:
  • Valeo
  • Ceekay and
  • LUK

Best of the lot is Valeo.

Keep up posted with the developments and overall outcome post servicing.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 16:33   #2928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Clutch plates + pressure plates - 3200
Clutch release bearings - 3300 to 3500
So post a long talk with the owner of the Bosch Service Center where my car has been going for the last 5 years, I decided to give him a green signal to completely check & replace the needed elements. One of the things he was sure of was the fact that springs will be fine.

So 2 days later I have my car back & she feels great. Clutch & pressure plates and bearings changed, suspension stabilizer bar links replaced & strut bushes as well.

Additionally I requested addition of Rogerab Suspension spacers. All in all, money well spent at a total of 23k, I am extremely happy with the car.

On the injector front - all 4 working well. Found a one time engine treatment system that I tried this time around. So maybe by the time I am halfway thru a tank of gas, should feel the difference.

Time to put the motorcycle under covers and drive around for a while now...

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2015 at 19:18. Reason: Cut through the entire post quoted
intoxicangel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 16:46   #2929
Team-BHP Support

Small update from Snowie. New owner had called me to share the transfer process completion news, he and family is very happy with the car and already done about 5000 kms. They had taken her to RNS motors for a service and even changed the timing chain as a precaution.

Happy to see she is in good hands.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 16:52   #2930
BHPian

The alternator of my Swift Diesel VDi 2008 has conked off and had to be towed to the service station. The car has 117k on the odometer. A couple of questions:

1. What is the life expectancy of the alternator?
2. The MASS has quoted 15k for the alternator + labor. Any ideas on the correct price?
Old 25th June 2015, 15:04   #2931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
The alternator of my Swift Diesel VDi 2008 has conked off and had to be towed to the service station. The car has 117k on the odometer. A couple of questions:

1. What is the life expectancy of the alternator?
2. The MASS has quoted 15k for the alternator + labor. Any ideas on the correct price?
The alternator can be overhauled. Usually it is the brushes that need replacement. It should cost less than 1.5k for minor overhaul. Rectifier plate/regulator assembly will cost a little more and are changed depending upon the condition of old parts.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 00:03   #2932
BHPian

Sorry for sneaking someone else's thread.

I just wanted to know my Swift VDI has done 86000 km (approx) and its due for service. What are the :
1. Parts which I should get replaced?
2. What are the things which I should get checked up thoroughly other than the normal?
3. Any other important thing which should be done?
Old 4th July 2015, 00:36   #2933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
...I just wanted to know my Swift VDI has done 86000 km (approx) and its due for service. What are the :
1. Parts which I should get replaced?
2. What are the things which I should get checked up thoroughly other than the normal?
3. Any other important thing which should be done?
It's just another service. Nothing special. If you want an EGR cleaning, you could opt for it. Give the car during weekday for a better job as this takes time to do.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 00:59   #2934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It's just another service. Nothing special. If you want an EGR cleaning, you could opt for it. Give the car during weekday for a better job as this takes time to do.
Thanks brother, if you could help me can you tell me when are the belts and the timing chain needs replacement. Also do I get the coolant drained, and then get it cleaned and refill and same for the brake line?
Old 4th July 2015, 11:26   #2935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
Thanks brother, if you could help me can you tell me when are the belts and the timing chain needs replacement. Also do I get the coolant drained, and then get it cleaned and refill and same for the brake line?
Is this the 80K service? If so, all the fluids need to be changed (every 20K interval). Do not remember whether the swift has the timing belt or the chain, but there is an argument to change it @ 1L kms while some say it's never to be changed. But definitely not at 85K kms.

How trust worthy is your MA$$? If they are honest, please check with them on any replacements required. Else please find an honest mechanic / garage who can evaluate such things.

Please do refer to the manual also before you go for service; every replacements are mentioned service interval wise; a great resource for accurate information.

Edit: Do you feel anything wrong with your car as of now? How often do you service it?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th July 2015 at 11:28. Reason: Added edit portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 11:58   #2936
Team-BHP Support

It's a timing belt. Mine is running on the original one for 180 k Kms
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 12:57   #2937
BBT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
It's a timing belt. Mine is running on the original one for 180 k Kms
The Swift DDiS engine actually has a chain not a belt. The chain normally has a life of about 120k but as you have said can run even longer. A chain failure at 80k is unlikely but not unheard of. It's better to be safe than sorry, if the service adviser suggests that something may be off, get it checked. If it snaps while running, it can cause significant damage to the engine as well. A preventive replacement will cost about 8-12k but a snapped one may require more work on the engine taking your cost upwards of 50k.

Last edited by BBT : 4th July 2015 at 13:00.
Old 4th July 2015, 23:35   #2938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is this the 80K service? If so, all the fluids need to be changed (every 20K interval). Do not remember whether the swift has the timing belt or the chain, but there is an argument to change it @ 1L kms while some say it's never to be changed. But definitely not at 85K kms.

How trust worthy is your MA$$? If they are honest, please check with them on any replacements required. Else please find an honest mechanic / garage who can evaluate such things.

Please do refer to the manual also before you go for service; every replacements are mentioned service interval wise; a great resource for accurate information.

Edit: Do you feel anything wrong with your car as of now? How often do you service it?
It has a chain with automatic tensioner which is the standard part these days. MASS is good if you go for general servicing i.e. engine oil change, air filter clean/change, or oil filter change. I know that they do exaggerate on things and they charge for it. Nothing against it but I wont be going to my Workshop for letting him evaluate the needs of my Bugsy (my christened Swift).
True I will be doing it soon and marking down things. Well I generally get my car serviced by 8K kms but this time due to some constraints I have not been able to do it at 8K its already done 3k kms more than that without servicing and hence running a bit harsh, well lets see this week I will go for getting it analysed.

Thank you for the advice brother.
Old 8th September 2015, 17:38   #2939
BHPian

Right O, found this to be the place to post my set of questions on the Swift Diesel.

Primus, is at 80k kms on the odo & so far have had the following major work done on the car
- Tyre upgrades at 60k kms
- Clutch plate replaced at 76k kms. Should I have just gotten the entire assembly replaced (Master cylinder & plumbing), there is a bit of shuddering at times off late.

Now next on my list is the timing chain replacement - recommended is at 80k kms, injectors cleaning/replacing (engine has gotten quite noisy). All this is kinda going to set me back about Rs 60k odd :(

So my next question?
- Anymore whopper costs coming my way? Anyone have an idea?

What are the other large costs expected with regard to engine & transmission ahead? My car has had oil & filter (fuel & oil) changes at regular intervals all along.

I don't have plans of selling the car, she is my first car & I plan on keeping her for as long as I possibly can. (have been told, should be about 2.5L to 3L kms before engine may need rework).

Last edited by intoxicangel : 8th September 2015 at 17:46. Reason: Left out a couple of things
Old 13th September 2015, 08:24   #2940
BHPian

I did my recent service at 90kms. I had the engine noise issue too. I got the injector cleaning done but, the noise was more to do with the Tensioner bearing . Also replaced the rear wheel bearing which had gone bad. I had to also replace my left headlight assembly (cracked and moisture got in). In addition to that the regular service (oil change etc.) .
Costed me around 14k . Till now no service costed me upwards of 7-8k , just an indication (i generally service every 10k kms.) .
Though I think at 1 L kms, I might have to do with some suspension work, not that anything seems noticeable but the service advisor mentioned it might come up.

Quote:

Now next on my list is the timing chain replacement - recommended is at 80k kms, injectors cleaning/replacing (engine has gotten quite noisy). All this is kinda going to set me back about Rs 60k odd :(

So my next question?
- Anymore whopper costs coming my way? Anyone have an idea?

What are the other large costs expected with regard to engine & transmission ahead? My car has had oil & filter (fuel & oil) changes at regular intervals all along.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks