Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:33   #2776
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
My 2007 Swift VDI is facing Engine Overheating issues.
Thanks to Kulvinder Batra for sharing the following information:

Quote:
I've had this problem twice on my 07 DDIS. At 20K, the oil cooler defected- fitted a new one, at 40k the new one defected again.

The first time basically, the plates separating the water and oil had corroded-- you only need a pinprick for the whole thing to screw up-- at high temperature and pressure the pinprick becomes a raging river!!
Goo again in the water reservoir-- normally means only the oil cooler!!!

BUT if you lost engine power as well!! then its the head gasket--- AS WELL.---- You maybe didn't notice the engine overheating, before it was too late.

Mass fitted the first new oil cooler, when it failed I analysed the whole thing, including cutting it up (can't be dismantled) but the first thing I did was check the torque on the mounting bolts---- and guess what?: They wern't torqued correct!! Then I checked the bolts, and it looked pretty much like they had not used new ones-- but the old ones. These are like head gasket bolts; they stretch and lose optimal tension. Once opened they have to be replaced. Basically the mounting flange which has two rubber seals to separate the water and oil had corroded and some of the metal under the seals had turned to powder. I.e it corroded from exposure to atmosphere.

1. Don't immediately get the head opened--- I've come across a few people with this problem-- Mass guys immediately opened the head. Thats not the problem, it's putting it back-- MASS guys don't know what they are doing! All those engines seized afterwards.

2. Get a compression test--- This the most vital thing-- and don't get put off by mechanics telling you they've done the compression test.

I saved one engine by accidentally turning up when the guy was about to open the head-- I asked about the compression test-- He told me he had done it---I then asked to show me the Testing equipment--- They didn't have any!!!!

3. If compression test is ok-- then its only the oil cooler. Buy a new cooler and make sure it comes with new bolts.Buy a good torque wrench- these are not a very high torque bolts. Then do what I did : Fit the thing yourself.

4. If it is the head- let me know, I have all the factory rebuild specs and procedure for this engine--- if you don't want to rebuild yourself at least you can supervise a mechanic very closely.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 14:56   #2777
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Folks - Any recommendation for doing DZire Zdi 60K service in NCR region ? I live in Gurgaon. So anything in Gurgaon or nearby , that is reasonable and does not charge unnecessary kinds of labor/replacements.. Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 18:44   #2778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
My 2007 Swift VDI is facing Engine Overheating issues. In October last year the Oil Cooler had gone bust and I had got it replaced at Mandovi Bannerghatta road. When the Oil Cooler went bust, Engine oil had entered the Coolant reservoir and had dirtied the entire cooling piping and reservoir including the radiator. All this was water washed and cleaned.

Yesterday while driving in the afternoon hot sun with the AC ON, I felt drop in power and Ac being ineffective. Looking at the Temperature gauge, Saw the needle hovering above the usual half way mark nearing red. Limped the car back home with not straining the Engine much. Even after switching OFF the engine and removing the key out, the radiator fan kept running for a good 5mins before shutting down.

What could be the issue here? Please help me.
Is it the Oil cooler gone bust again or is the Engine cooling mechanism (Coolant flow) messed up with my previous issue of oil entering coolant pipes. Or is it something serious like Head Gasket getting fried?

Edit: Checked the coolant reservoir, I see lots of black gooey stuff in it, But i feel it might be from the previous Oil Cooler failure. There is no drop in Engine Oil level.

Does Maruti offer warranty on replaced parts? Not sure if the Oil Cooler is gone bad again.
Got the car back from MASS. Issue was found to be a blockage in the radiator. As per MASS Radiator was overhauled. I also got them to replace all rubber hoses. They have advised me to have the coolant replaced again after 1000km as it still might have traces of Oil. They test drove the vehicle for about 30km and found the Engine temperature to be well within the normal zone.

I still need to do my kind of testing with load (3-4 people) inside the car with AC in full blast and with some quick acceleration.
Old 10th April 2014, 11:04   #2779
BHPian

Hello guys,

I have been facing a few issues with my Swift Vdi. I am getting low mileage of 11-12 kmph in Bangalore city driving and the power has gone down significantly. All this happened in the last four months.The car has clocked 88k kms so far. At around 87k kms, I took it to Kalyani motors in Kundenhalli and they advised a major service costing me 17k ! They claimed that cleaning the EGR valve (5-6k Rs) would clear up the drop in power and improve mileage. They also wanted to change the steering wheel ball bearings, brake pads, etc. At the end of it, I agreed thinking that atleast my car would be good as new after the service. They claimed that my car should return 15kmpl in city driving after the service. But alas, the car is returning the same old 11-12 kmpl in city driving and the power drop persists. Any idea what I should do? I already spent a bomb on service and general improvements to my car's exterior. I love my car and it hurts when she doesn't perform like she used to. :(
Old 10th April 2014, 11:23   #2780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
.... I am getting low mileage of 11-12 kmph in Bangalore city driving and the power has gone down significantly. ....
This seems to be a turbo issue. Do get the hoses and the turbo checked.
Old 10th April 2014, 11:30   #2781
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello guys,

I have been facing a few issues with my Swift Vdi. I am getting low mileage of 11-12 kmph in Bangalore city driving and the power has gone down significantly. All this happened in the last four months.
This is very low, even if you drive in peak traffic. This is what i would do.

- Check clutch for slip
- Check for brake jamming
- Do an oil and filters change. (Air, Fuel and Oil)
- Do intercooler and EGR clean up, if it has not been done till date.
Old 10th April 2014, 11:36   #2782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
This seems to be a turbo issue. Do get the hoses and the turbo checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is very low, even if you drive in peak traffic. This is what i would do.

- Check clutch for slip
- Check for brake jamming
- Do an oil and filters change. (Air, Fuel and Oil)
- Do intercooler and EGR clean up, if it has not been done till date.
Thank you guys for the quick responses. I have done an EGR clean up. I shall go back to the dealer and ask them to do the intercooler clean up and check the turbo and also check for clutch slip and brake jamming. I last had a clutch overhaul done at around 67k kms. As far as oil changes goes, I am sure it was a part of the previous service. I shall have a look into whether the filters were changed or not. I did have a funny booming noise coming out of the front left tyre at times, before the service although that has been rectified post service.
Another thing I have noticed is that even when I am crawling over bad road sections, the suspension does tend to make a weird noise. I am planning on getting that checked out this weekend.

I want to get my swift back to the way she was just a few months ago.
Old 10th April 2014, 16:10   #2783
BBT
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys for the quick responses. I have done an EGR clean up. I shall go back to the dealer and ask them to do the intercooler clean up and check the turbo and also check for clutch slip and brake jamming. I last had a clutch overhaul done at around 67k kms. As far as oil changes goes, I am sure it was a part of the previous service. I shall have a look into whether the filters were changed or not. I did have a funny booming noise coming out of the front left tyre at times, before the service although that has been rectified post service.
Another thing I have noticed is that even when I am crawling over bad road sections, the suspension does tend to make a weird noise. I am planning on getting that checked out this weekend.

I want to get my swift back to the way she was just a few months ago.
If by weird sound you mean a feeling as if something is loose and making a knocking sound, get the disc brake calliper assembly nuts checked. I had the callipers loose after a service as they forgot to tighten the nuts after cleaning the discs and callipers. The sound would go away when I braked and that was the clue that led the service engineer to check the calliper assembly. Tightened the nuts and things were back to normal in 5 minutes flat.
Old 16th April 2014, 07:29   #2784
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

I have been facing a few issues with my Swift Vdi. I am getting low mileage of 11-12 kmph in Bangalore city driving and the power has gone down significantly. All this happened in the last four months.The car has clocked 88k kms so far. At around 87k kms, I took it to Kalyani motors in Kundenhalli and they advised a major service costing me 17k ! They claimed that cleaning the EGR valve (5-6k Rs) would clear up the drop in power and improve mileage. They also wanted to change the steering wheel ball bearings, brake pads, etc. At the end of it, I agreed thinking that atleast my car would be good as new after the service. They claimed that my car should return 15kmpl in city driving after the service. But alas, the car is returning the same old 11-12 kmpl in city driving and the power drop persists. Any idea what I should do? I already spent a bomb on service and general improvements to my car's exterior. I love my car and it hurts when she doesn't perform like she used to. :(
What I have learnt with servicing my vehicle , is just get the work required done. If they said EGR valve issue, just get that fixed and leave the steering and other issues for later. That way you dont loose focus. The service costs get jacked up unnecessarily. I had a problem with mileage once at 40-45 Km and it turned out the Turbo hose pipe was cut due to it touching some hot spot in the engine bay. Ofcourse this also resulted in a lot of black smoke coming out on hard acceleration. Never experienced Kalyani, but I know Pratham in Bellandur have -ve feedback and have experienced it. I give now only to Bimal Mahadevpura . They've opened a branched in Varthur opp. Forum Value mall but, only done a single routine service there . Maybe worth a try.
Old 17th April 2014, 08:53   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Off late i can smell exhaust fumes (strong smell of sulphur) inside the cabin,whenever I drive hard,post speeds of 100Kmph.What could be the reason?
Old 17th April 2014, 12:35   #2786
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Off late i can smell exhaust fumes (strong smell of sulphur) inside the cabin

Sulphur?
Are you sure a forgotten egg didn't roll under a seat?

If it is exhaust fumes, this is serious, potentially lethally serious. Get all the body work checked for holes, missing grommets, etc. And the exhaust system, of course.

Do it urgently!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 21:23   #2787
Senior - BHPian

Team,

I facing heavy noise from rear tires of my 2010 Swift D. The tyres are brand new Michelin XM2.

I went to the near by tyre shop, he was of the opinion that it is not tire noise and that there is problem with rear suspension or bearing.

My cabin is very noisy. Please suggest the correct diagnosis.
Old 20th April 2014, 22:15   #2788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I facing heavy noise from rear tires of my 2010 Swift D.
I went to the near by tyre shop, he was of the opinion that it is not tire noise and that there is problem with rear suspension or bearing.
Is the noise getting progressively louder as the vehicle is driven faster ?

Jack-up the car and rotate the wheel by hand and check for noise or roughness. Touch the rear side of the hub and see if there is any vibration.

Sometimes when the bearing is heavily worn-out then there will be excessive 'play' in that wheel. Also, do inspect all the four wheels as the acoustics of car can cause noise from front end to sound as if it was produced from rear-end of the car.

Last edited by interc00led : 20th April 2014 at 22:17.
Old 21st April 2014, 16:58   #2789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Team,

I facing heavy noise from rear tires of my 2010 Swift D. The tyres are brand new Michelin XM2.

If it's a booming noise which is directly proportional with the speed (even in neutral), it should be the wheel bearing.
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:02   #2790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Team,

Most prolly looks like a bearing failure.Jack up the car and rotate the wheel.At the same time place your hand on the rear axle and check if you can feel any vibrations.If yes,the bearings are shot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks