Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 23:15   #2731
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How old are the tyres?

You can jounce the car at each end and see if the car stops or bounces around. If latter then shock is weak. Otherwise you can try doing a minor service of the strut rubbers components like i did. Another thing if the tyres are old, then they will become hard and ride a lil harsh.

A regular service, with brake overhaul and engine oil change is a good idea.
The tyres will be 4 Yrs old in JAN. Bridgestone Turanza ER60 185/70/R14. Did only 31K on them.

I am doing only 300-500 Kms these days, as my workplace is very near now after a job switch.

I dont feel like changing the tyres at-least till I complete 5 yrs on them.

Please suggest !
Old 17th December 2013, 06:45   #2732
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

The tyres will be 4 Yrs old in JAN. Bridgestone Turanza ER60 185/70/R14. Did only 31K on them.

I am doing only 300-500 Kms these days, as my workplace is very near now after a job switch.

I dont feel like changing the tyres at-least till I complete 5 yrs on them.

Please suggest !
Ah Bridgestones - Hard rubber. Four years is long buddy and without much driving the tyres would have developed cracks and would have become hard. Can you just check the tyres and the sidewall for cracks. If they are present then change the tyres ASAP. I know it is hard on the pocket but not previous than life.

Anurag.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:10   #2733
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Ah Bridgestones - Hard rubber. Four years is long buddy and without much driving the tyres would have developed cracks and would have become hard. Can you just check the tyres and the sidewall for cracks. If they are present then change the tyres ASAP. I know it is hard on the pocket but not previous than life.

Anurag.
Turanzas are known to be on par with Michelin MX+1. With a slightly stronger side wall.

I have checked the tires, infact, My tyres, side wall is always clean, there are no crack whatsoever. There is no loss of grip and tyres are very confidence inspiring.

I will post the pictures of the tyres shortly.
Old 17th December 2013, 12:55   #2734
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
=========
Please suggest !
If you are particular about the ride quality, change of tyre is recommended. Otherwise you can ignore till it reaches the wear indicator. At 4 years no matter what, the tyres would have hardened quite a bit. Check the sidewall for exact dates of manufacture.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 20:28   #2735
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pics of the tyres. I drive regularly on concrete or cement roads, there is little or no tarmac
Attached Thumbnails
Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-img_20131218_175600.jpg  

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-img_20131218_175517.jpg  

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-img_20131218_175441.jpg  

Last edited by F150 : 18th December 2013 at 20:35.
Old 19th December 2013, 03:42   #2736
BHPian

I had the same problem and my car had done only 22K kms.

Although my tyres appeared to be normal, it was noticed as some puncture repair guys call it " Tyre Air le liya hai". What i noticed is that on one of the tyre there was uneven wear from outside to inside.

He recommended to change that one tyre and use that only as spare tyre ( my existing spare tyre was unused). Post this change i have seen a lot of improvement.

Suggest you check all the four tyres and see if you notice uneven wear and tear from outside to inside. If you dont intend to change the tyres, you flip the tyre inside out for all four wheels and see if that works.
Old 19th December 2013, 04:14   #2737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please describe bounce around ?

The ride has become harsh, I can feel all the bumps on the road.

Front 32
Rear 31

185/70/R14
I use 30 psi on the fronts and 28 psi on the rear tyres. The tyres are Michelin XM2 185/70 R14.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 30th December 2013, 18:14   #2738
Senior - BHPian

Now I am into a soup. While getting back from Bangalore around 3 thousand km back. I had entered a HUGE pothole on the highway at pretty high speeds with 5 people and luggage in the car. It was like an explosion, but the car behaved perfectly normal till now, no pulling, nothing.

Now today When I went to get wheel alignment and balancing done, the front left strut has a camber. 1.27 degrees to be precise on the left front wheel, the right was within specifications.

This is a clear sign of a bent strut right ? I had got the suspension overhaul done at 78 thousand km where in the lower arms, bushes and stabilser bar was replaced, and now its standing at 87500 km.

What is the cost of each strut ? I am planning to get both replaced if indeed the left one is bent.
Old 30th December 2013, 18:55   #2739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
What is the cost of each strut ? I am planning to get both replaced if indeed the left one is bent.
If you had done 87K on your original struts then anyway its good time to change them. Last week only I changed front struts at 91K. It costs 2300 each + 500 some bush kit + 800 labor + taxes = exact 6k.

You will see great improvement in ride quality immediately. After changing the struts I felt like I should have done that earlier. In fact since last 3 services I was asking service advisor to check struts and replace them if not ok but I guess they do replacement only when they see oil leakage from them.
abhijitvp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 00:31   #2740
BHPian

Recently I've been noticing this peculiar problem in my Swift. When the engine is cold and if turbo kicks in, there's a strange loud sound coming from the engine bay like something badly vibrating but goes away once the engine reaches normal temperature. It never happened before and seems quite strange to me.
Although I always try not to rev into turbo zone while the engine is cold, but sometimes it gets engaged on the inclines or while overtaking and then this starange sound starts coming.
My Swift has run approx 88K kms. Any pointers to this problem?
Old 5th February 2014, 15:56   #2741
Senior - BHPian

Posting this here as it is the most read thread on swift servicing.
Recently went for a 45000 service and was informed that front suspension needs overhaul. I had been hearing tak tak sound for the last 6-7000 kms so I wasn't really surprised. They changed lower suspension arms, tie rod ends, stabiliser ball joint and full bush kit. total set me back by almost 11k. When I inquired the supervisor said that it is common in diesel swifts around 50k kms and in Petrols a little later like 60k or so.

Secondly I was shown a email from Maruti to MASS that gearbox oil is now to be changed only at 40k kms or 4 years whichever was earlier. This replaces Maruti recommended change at 20 k kms or 2 years. Any one heard similar?

Above was at Smart cars, Kagadasapura, Bangalore
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 16:33   #2742
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Secondly I was shown a email from Maruti to MASS that gearbox oil is now to be changed only at 40k kms or 4 years whichever was earlier. This replaces Maruti recommended change at 20 k kms or 2 years. Any one heard similar?
I haven't heard of this till now. They would have given the VIN no. after which this rule would apply. Do you have that by any chance as that number features as the cut-off points.

Cars manufactured before that VIN will have to continue 20K/2 years but after that specific VIN it will become 40K/4 years.

I am suspecting that the oil grade has been changed here else why will they prolong the change interval - May be synthetic oil.

Thanks for the information BTW, shall ask my SA about this and post here if I get any concrete information.

Anurag.
Old 5th February 2014, 16:42   #2743
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here are the pics of the tyres. I drive regularly on concrete or cement roads, there is little or no tarmac
Your tyre seems to be in pretty good shape Sorry somehow missed checking in here for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Recently I've been noticing this peculiar problem in my Swift.
=========
My Swift has run approx 88K kms. Any pointers to this problem?
Get it checked, hopefully it might be a lose part since you mentioned rattling kind of sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Posting this here as it is the most read thread on swift servicing.
=========== Any one heard similar?

Above was at Smart cars, Kagadasapura, Bangalore
Nope to both, my car apart from the minor kit repair i proactively got done, rest of suspension is all OE. And i do drive on bad roads without much care. And GB oil usually replaced at 20k kms. Maybe it is for the new batch, am not sure.
Old 5th February 2014, 20:34   #2744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I haven't heard of this till now. They would have given the VIN no. after which this rule would apply. Do you have that by any chance as that number features as the cut-off points.

Cars manufactured before that VIN will have to continue 20K/2 years but after that specific VIN it will become 40K/4 years. I clarified as i have the older Dzire, It mentions that ALL swifts/dzires have the 40k/4yr change interval.

I am suspecting that the oil grade has been changed here else why will they prolong the change interval - May be synthetic oil. No the oil grade is the same. Maruti mentioned (in the email) that they have done "extensive research" to come up with this policy change.

Thanks for the information BTW, shall ask my SA about this and post here if I get any concrete information.

Anurag.
my answers in bold. The email was circulated to all MASS, don't remember the date but it was recent. The surprising thing is that they mentioned that in newer cars like the K 10 alto the gearbox is sealed i.e. Lubricated for life So 40 K is no big deal.

Last edited by goandude : 5th February 2014 at 20:40.
Old 5th February 2014, 22:40   #2745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
If you had done 87K on your original struts then anyway its good time to change them. Last week only I changed front struts at 91K. It costs 2300 each + 500 some bush kit + 800 labor + taxes = exact 6k.

You will see great improvement in ride quality immediately. After changing the struts I felt like I should have done that earlier. In fact since last 3 services I was asking service advisor to check struts and replace them if not ok but I guess they do replacement only when they see oil leakage from them.
Yep got it changed, including the springs as the difference between changing just the struts to getting new springs and bushes as a single assembled unit was just 300 bucks. Decided to replace everything. Its been 2500 km since then and the ride has become ultra soft ( although looking at the wheel arch it looks as if the ground clearance has gone down in the front). Loving it though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks