Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2013, 06:00   #2716
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I use an ELM 327 OBD II Reader in my car (Ritz VDi 2010 model).
On the thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2272681

@vishnugs mentions that only the Ritz and Etios are OBD2 compliant in the entry level Diesels ( in 2011 ).The old gen Swift might not be compliant.
Old 12th December 2013, 10:09   #2717
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
My Dzire has clocked 156000 since last few months I observed that my FE has drop down to 13 in Mumbai city. My car never delivered FE below 15 in city and 19-23 on highway. After initial check-up I found that the Air filter assembly has cracked where bolts get fitted. Due to which there was 1 inch gap between lower and upper part of the air filter box. After replacing that still there is not much improvement. Today I showed vehicle to one of the MASS Silver Belt mechanic. After inspection and readings which he took from STP he concludes that there is no issue as all the reading were in permitted limits and health of the vehicle is good. He suspect there is some issue with the air flow. He is checking that. Car is in workshop. Also after checking Service history he suggested me the following things to do in this service.

1. Change Oil filter
2. Change engine oil/ Brake oil/ gear oil.
3. EGR cleaning (last EGR cleaning was done at 101000 kms)

Also he recommended to change the Timing Chain as chain is making some noise alongwith calibration of injectors.According to him after running so much ODO chain tends to get loose and we need to replace the same. He quoted that chain replacement is steep expense as he need open the engine and once it is open all the relevant parts needs to be replace with new e.g. bushes and internal parts. He quoted injector cleaning and calibration will take 12-13k as they need to send the same to Bausch for the same. And timing chain replacement estimate will go upto 36-38k including labour. Does it cost so high. Now the question came to my mind whether I should sell this car or retain. I heard once engine is open performance of the engine goes for toss. Also there will be recurring expense once engine is down. How much it is worth to get repaired. Or shall I live with the same chain noise? Is there any other method by which the noise can disappear? Your suggestions will help me making decision.
Regarding FE he advised me after this servicing we will review and then only we will go for engine work.
Your mechanic or workshop is taking you for a royal ride. There is no injector 'calibration' required and injector cleaning is less than Rs 1000 rupees for all of them at the MASS. Timing chain replacement cost is around 4 to 5 grand, that all. There is no 'engine' work in your car is all the parameters are fine. Please get your car out of this place and show it to someone who has no con intentions in mind.
Old 12th December 2013, 11:50   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilless View Post
My Dzire has clocked 156000 since last few months I observed that my FE has drop down to 13 in Mumbai city. My car never delivered FE below 15 in city and 19-23 on highway. After initial check-up I .................................................. ......................
3. EGR cleaning (last EGR cleaning was done at 101000 kms)
Its almost a month since you posted this, how is you car running now ?
How is performance ? If it is not satisfactory then
1.Clean the egr
2.Clean the catalytic converter and check for blockage.
3.Clean the intercooler.

Diesel injector calibration is not done here for common rails simply because the equipment used to calibrate it is very very expensive and the spares are not available easily even to the authorized bosch service centers.
Injectors come with a calibration code stamped on the injector-top which is used calibrate the injectors by programming the code into the ecu using dealer's scan tool. Once the injector is opened, the calibration goes out and the performance will never be the same.
If it is found that the injectors are faulty then the only option is to replace the injectors which cost around Rs.44,000 for a set.

For timing chain noise, show the car to an independent-experienced mechanic and ask him if there is any abnormal sound from engine without letting him to have a look at the odo reading .I have seen the timing chain go bad from as low as 70K kms to as much as 300K kms. Timing chain also makes some feeble noise even when the oil is bad/near end of its service life. Use mobil delvac 15W40 for around 2000kms and then check for noise. If it is still there then replacement is the only option.
Old 13th December 2013, 17:12   #2719
Team-BHP Support

72000 kms update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
60,000 kms service update at Mandovi.
This was May 2012 and in Dec 2013 i remembered that i have not done a proper service since may 2012! Well i can't be blamed entirely for this neglect, the bloody thing was running like it should without a fuss. My running was very little earlier, but with a residence location change it has climbed up these days and another reason that prompted me to take her in. Yes i had changed oil at about 67000 Kms at Suraksha Bommanahalli. So after 1.5 years and about 12,000 kms later i decided enough is enough and get the car serviced. As usual few rattles was the only apparent thing.

Front suspension was becoming lil gruff, i thought i would get the struts bush kit overhauled also. It was last done about 36k kms. Coolant was not changed at 60k, so got that replaced along with brake fluid. Air filter was also replaced. While the strut was being serviced, they replaced the "support link" that is connected to the strut. This is about 230 bucks a piece.

Got the intercooler and egr cleaned this time around. I understand the EGR was cleaned by connecting it to the decarb machine.

Overall car feels tight again, the front suspension seems to be much more silent and no unnecessary kdang kdang. Engine seems lot smoother after the clean ups, i replaced the oil afterwards so i could get a clear sense of the clean up job. Afterwards got the wheel alignment done at Madhu's, the second set of tyres (A drives) is at last legs, should be able to pull off another 5k kms from them.

Clutch is something i am worried, since i drive alot in stop and go peak traffic daily. Mandovi has been giving a clean chit since 60k kms but it engages at the tip, so not sure if its going to last or not.

Bill snap attached, total came to 9115, paid some 7k since i claimed the Maruti SBI rewards points i had with me.

Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page 182. Now SOLD!-photo.jpg

I think this is the highest kms i clocked in any single car (i usually change under 50k kms), but somehow i don't get the right buzz to change this one. More than the financial implications of a new car, why i like the Swift is: its simple, reliable mechanicals and pretty frugal nature to run/maintain.

Still fun to drive with that sweet turbo spin. So hopefully Snowie will give me trouble free company for few more years. But what next? only thing that seems to be tickling the heart is the new mini suv from MUL (Jimny replacement) ie if it comes in next couple of years and in four wheel drive configuration.

So for now its going to be Swift updates.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 17:21   #2720
BANNED

Re: 72000 kms update!

Quote:
Engine seems lot smoother after the clean ups, i replaced the oil afterwards so i could get a clear sense of the clean up job.
Wasn't the engine oil replaced? I don't see it in the bill attached.

I can also see 'juddering' and 'hard' words in the Recommendation section (bottom left side). I suppose that is a pointer to the clutch condition.

Quote:
More than the financial implications of a new car, why i like the Swift is: its simple, reliable mechanicals and pretty frugal nature to run/maintain.

Still fun to drive with that sweet turbo spin. So hopefully Snowie will give me trouble free company for few more years. But what next? only thing that seems to be tickling the heart is the new mini suv from MUL (Jimny replacement) ie if it comes in next couple of years and in four wheel drive configuration.
This is the feeling that every swift owner has and never finds a reason to change the even if it old on paper or has clocked miles. I am waiting to get into the 'Swift owning' feeling. Will be getting my New Swift in March'14.

Anurag.
Old 13th December 2013, 18:12   #2721
Team-BHP Support

Re: 72000 kms update!

Quote:
Wasn't the engine oil replaced? I don't see it in the bill attached.
I supply the oil and change was done later.

Quote:
I can also see 'juddering' and 'hard' words in the Recommendation section (bottom left side). I suppose that is a pointer to the clutch condition.
I had reported judder, but its minor and occasional. Hardness, well my swift is very unique, it had hard pedal from day 1 in comparison to other cars. No one seems to have a solution or answer for this. I think its a case of hard pressure plate spring. Since i don't feel it as an issue, i have not attended to it. Apart from some fluid bleed which they tried this time also.
Old 14th December 2013, 00:27   #2722
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

My swift is now 4 yrs young, I am getting a feeling that the suspension has become too hard or stiff.

Please suggest, what should be done.
Old 14th December 2013, 01:07   #2723
BANNED

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 72k kms Update Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
My swift is now 4 yrs young, I am getting a feeling that the suspension has become too hard or stiff.

Does it bounce around on the slightest of the road undulations? If yes, then the springs are not working as they should.

What tyre pressures do you maintain and what specifications are the tyres on your car?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 11:24   #2724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it bounce around on the slightest of the road undulations? If yes, then the springs are not working as they should.

What tyre pressures do you maintain and what specifications are the tyres on your car?

Anurag.
Could you please describe bounce around ?

The ride has become harsh, I can feel all the bumps on the road.

Front 32
Rear 31

185/70/R14
Old 14th December 2013, 13:42   #2725
BANNED

Quote:
Bouncing like how cars from the Hyundai stable drive specially the rear end(No offence to Hyundai owners). It keeps on jumping with the slightest gradient change on the road.

Quote:
Is the car sagging or tilted to any of the sides? Get the springs checked once. They are not compressing as required and have become stiff so the ride is harsh and all undulations are being felt.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 21:04   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is the car sagging or tilted to any of the sides? Get the springs checked once. They are not compressing as required and have become stiff so the ride is harsh and all undulations are being felt.

Anurag.
I too feel the same. There is no tilt, how do I check sagging ?

I am compiling the list of problems that needs to be addressed in 35K Kms services. I am planning to do it JAN. Extending warranty is also expiring in JAN.

Any other major things that need to be checked ?

Last edited by F150 : 14th December 2013 at 21:14.
Old 14th December 2013, 21:30   #2727
BANNED

Quote:
I too feel the same. There is no tilt, how do I check sagging?
Sagging in the sense the car will be sitting closer to ground. The clearance between the tyre and the wheel well if decreased then the car is sagging (no passenger load).

A simple check to find out what sagging is - click a picture from the side without passengers in the car and another picture with 5 in the car. The clearance will be lower with 5 passengers. So if the clearance us low when the car is without passengers then the springs are kaput

Quote:
I am compiling the list of problems that needs to be addressed in 35K Kms services. Any other major things that need to be checked?
But why at 35K? Why is the service not at 30K and then 40K?

Regular service - Oil, oil filter, air filter, wheel alignment + balancing + rotation. Brakes cleaning and bleeding if required.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 09:05   #2728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sagging in the sense the car will be sitting closer to ground. The clearance between the tyre and the wheel well if decreased then the car is sagging (no passenger load).

A simple check to find out what sagging is - click a picture from the side without passengers in the car and another picture with 5 in the car. The clearance will be lower with 5 passengers. So if the clearance us low when the car is without passengers then the springs are kaput

But why at 35K? Why is the service not at 30K and then 40K?

Regular service - Oil, oil filter, air filter, wheel alignment + balancing + rotation. Brakes cleaning and bleeding if required.

Anurag.
30K service was done in FEB @ 26.5K or 3 Yrs , I was out of the country for 4 months(MARCH, MAY and JUNE, JULY). So the last service was was done long ago, the ODO now reads 31007 Kms.
Old 15th December 2013, 13:57   #2729
BANNED

Quote:
30K service was done in FEB @ 26.5K or 3 Yrs , I was out of the country for 4 months(MARCH, MAY and JUNE, JULY). So the last service was was done long ago, the ODO now reads 31007 Kms.
Oh. In that case change the engine oil, gear oil, brake oilk + bleeding. Also check the battery condition

Anurag
Old 16th December 2013, 15:49   #2730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:

Front 32
Rear 31

185/70/R14
How old are the tyres?

You can jounce the car at each end and see if the car stops or bounces around. If latter then shock is weak. Otherwise you can try doing a minor service of the strut rubbers components like i did. Another thing if the tyres are old, then they will become hard and ride a lil harsh.

Quote:
A regular service, with brake overhaul and engine oil change is a good idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks