Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2013, 12:56   #2671
BBT
BHPian

Just came over for my the next service 6 months after the 60k major service. Had posted about juddering when starting from a standstill last time around but hadnt got the clutch replaced. This time around decided to do preventive maintenance and get the clutch replaced. The issue was due to the fact that there was some uneven wear on the clutch plate on the pressure plate side. The clutch had significant life left but decided to go ahead and get it replaced. Wanted my swift to drive without any shudders :-).

Pics attached of the plate for others reference. One is the pressure plate side (you would be able to see the grooves have disappeared at the edges in some places) and the other is the flywheel side (with hardly any wear on the grooves). The cluth replacement will set me back by about 8-9k although the bill is yet to be prepared.
Attached Images

Last edited by BBT : 28th September 2013 at 12:57.
Old 29th September 2013, 14:12   #2672
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

BBT - Do post your bill details. for me it costed about 11.5K
Old 29th September 2013, 18:30   #2673
BBT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
BBT - Do post your bill details. for me it costed about 11.5K
The bill is downstairs in my car, will post it if I remember to take a picture of it/scan it. The bill including servicing, oil change (4 litres as I got them to drain out old oil with 400 ml and had to fill 3.6 l as it was a full drain) and the clutch plate/flywheel was about 7.5k. The plate and flywheel were about Rs. 3000 and labour for clutch replacement was about Rs. 1800.

Was quite happy with the entire service experience although I did have an argument with the mechanic as I thought he had overfilled the oil - the argument ended when he pointed me to a chart with engine oil quantities recommended by Maruti which read 2.8 l without oil filter change, 3.1 l with oil filter change and 3.6 l for an overhaul. I was still convinced that the mechanic hadn't done an engine overhaul so he shouldn't fill in 3.6 l but at the end of the service he showed me the dipstick with oil level bang on the max. mark so I left it at that. The clutch feels amazing now and the car is moving very smoothly and with no shuddering whatsoever.

For the people in Pune - It was a new service station (Sanjeevani MASS) that I went to and even though it wasn't as swanky as the Sai Service station that I normally go to in Hinjewadi, I felt that they're more customer friendly as they had no issues in letting me sit right next to the mechanic while the job was being carried out and were quite open about discussing the work being carried out and the potential issues and even, at one point in time, the error on the part of the mechanic who forgot to put a tub to capture the coolant when he uncoupled its hose. He reported the incident to me and then promptly topped up the amount of coolant that was wasted, free of cost.
Old 1st October 2013, 10:58   #2674
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

This morning when I was trying to start the engine, it took 3 attempts to start. During the first two attempts, when the engine was about to start it went down with a 'keech' sound(Similar to the sound which we get when we try to start the engine when it is already ON). I have never faced this issue and would like your inputs on this issue.

Could this be a battery issue? Its 2 years and 5 months old, 67240Kms.
OR Could this be some other issue.
Car is Dzire Diesel.
Old 1st October 2013, 11:03   #2675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Could this be a battery issue? Its 2 years and 5 months old, 67240Kms.
OR Could this be some other issue.
Car is Dzire Diesel.
Noticed any lights on the speedo? I had the same problem and it was the battery. The expected battery life for diesel is around 2 years. Just check the battery.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 11:14   #2676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Noticed any lights on the speedo? I had the same problem and it was the battery. The expected battery life for diesel is around 2 years. Just check the battery.
Hi Naveen, thanks for your quick response.
I didn't check the speedo, will look for it when I start next time. Will the battery go down without any other indication? OR is this the indication to start with?
Old 1st October 2013, 11:21   #2677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Hi Naveen, thanks for your quick response.
I didn't check the speedo, will look for it when I start next time. Will the battery go down without any other indication? OR is this the indication to start with?
I had the same problem. Cranked twice and nothing happened, two lights displayed on the speedo but somehow managed to start it the third time. Took it straight to a battery shop and it died completely. First battery change was done in 2.4 years. I changed to SF Sonic which is a complete disaster. Wouldnt recommend that.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 11:28   #2678
Team-BHP Support

Might be battery, but if you see lights coming up like christmas tree at a cold start/ after parking for a while. Its time to change the battery. Yes the OE battery can be quite troublesome after 2-3 years. Have an amaron now (touch wood), so far so good.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 17:16   #2679
BHPian

Just completed my 40k service, break up as below.

Engine Oil + Filter + Air Filter + Brake pads = > Petronas urania CH4 (3L - 780 rs) + Purolator filter 130 rs + Arrowhead Highflow Filter 225 rs + KBX brake pads 670 rs. All these were changed in local garage, for 100 rs.

Diesel Filter => Again from Arrowhead for 350 rs. Given to MASS myself.
Brake Fluid Changed => 150 rs
Gear Oil changed => 720 rs
Radiator flush + coolant change => 400 rs
Service cost => 900 rs
Consumables => 100 rs
Brakes cleaning => 300 rs
Intercooler cleaning => 400 rs

Grand Total => 5225 Rs

Done at Friendly Motors Maruti at Mysore.
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:11   #2680
BHPian

Faced an issue with my 2007 Swift VDI today while returning home from work. Its done about 90k kms. I could sense the engine whining more than usual today morning driving to work. On the way back from work, the whine still existed and occasionally I could hear a slight screeching sound similar to noise from worn out brake pads when braking. The sound used to come on for a second or two and disappear. I knew something was wrong with the car and my return drive to work I did not let the RPM go beyond 1.5k. I was probably looking for a warning light or some other indication. When almost close to my home I could smell oil/coolant inside the cabin and the screeching started continuously coming from somewhere above the front left wheel. Stopped the vehicle, switched off the engine and opened the bonnet.

I could see black colored coolant accompanied with steam coming out of the escape valve from the coolant reservoir. Within no time a small puddle of this coolant formed on the road flowing from the coolant reservoir. Checked the temperature gauge to find it hovering around 3/4th level. Waited for 20mins for the engine to cool down and limped back home. Plan to take her to MASS tomorrow morning which is about 2kms from my house.

What could have possibly gone wrong with my car?

I see the engine oil level has increased. I did not hear the radiator fan running at all today even with engine temperature high.

Has it done any damage to the engine?

What could possibly someone do if faced with a similar situation?

Adding water to the coolant? But the cap on the coolant reservoir told me "Never to remove cap when hot"

Last edited by dreamdiesel : 3rd October 2013 at 21:13.
Old 3rd October 2013, 23:41   #2681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Faced an issue with my 2007 Swift VDI today while returning home from work.
I feel Engine Oil has got mixed with the coolant. The coolant is black/brown and feels gooey. If Engine Oil and Coolant has got mixed, does it mean engine is running with Oil/Coolant mix? I did not feel any loss in power and Turbo seems to be fine.
Old 3rd October 2013, 23:55   #2682
BBT
BHPian

Quote:

I feel Engine Oil has got mixed with the coolant. The coolant is black/brown and feels gooey. If Engine Oil and Coolant has got mixed, does it mean engine is running with Oil/Coolant mix? I did not feel any loss in power and Turbo seems to be fine.
Could be a messed up gasket or an issue with the pump that circulates the coolant. I would suggest taking the car to a mechanic at the earliest.
Old 4th October 2013, 09:58   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
Could be a messed up gasket or an issue with the pump that circulates the coolant. I would suggest taking the car to a mechanic at the earliest.
Thanks BBT. Gave the Car to MASS today morning. Following are the repairs and replacements to be done.

Oil Cooler Replacement
Engine Oil Change
Coolant Change
Oil Filter Change
Intercooler Cleaning

Also Head Gasket will be checked. I hope nothing wrong with the head Gasket as I dont want to get the Engine opened. Engine was running fine with no warning lights. As quite a few oil/coolant mixture had leaked from the Coolant reservoir yesterday, I added about 300-400ml of Engine oil before taking the car to MASS.
Old 4th October 2013, 10:24   #2684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks BBT. Gave the Car to MASS today morning. Following are the repairs and replacements to be done.

Oil Cooler Replacement
Engine Oil Change
Coolant Change
Oil Filter Change
Intercooler Cleaning

Also Head Gasket will be checked. I hope nothing wrong with the head Gasket as I dont want to get the Engine opened. Engine was running fine with no warning lights. As quite a few oil/coolant mixture had leaked from the Coolant reservoir yesterday, I added about 300-400ml of Engine oil before taking the car to MASS.
Which MASS?
Oil cooler? where is it placed in the engine?
Looks like head gasket
Old 4th October 2013, 10:37   #2685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Which MASS?
Oil cooler? where is it placed in the engine?
Looks like head gasket
Hi Leslie,

Good Day.

Gave the car to Mandovi JP Nagar/Bannerghatta Road. Mostly will return it tomorrow. Estimate about 7.5k

I am not sure about the location of the Oil Cooler. Must be below/behind the radiator/Intercooler. I was going through the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2138657 where a similar issue was being discussed. Kulvinder Singh had suggested a Broken Oil Cooler or Leak. That is what the MASS have concluded as well. I hope they are right....

I hope its not the head Gasket. I doubt there is any damage to the engine. Engine runs fine. No loss in power and No warning lights.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks