Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2012, 12:37   #2521
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Hi Jaggu and bhpians,

just realised that the service station forgot the EGR cleaning at the mandated interval of 30k and are doing it at 40k km service. Would the schedule missed have impacted anything in the engine or anything else?

Thanks,
tush.
Old 15th December 2012, 12:43   #2522
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience! Part II 60k kms Update Page

Not at all. I got it done for the first time at about 60k kms.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 01:31   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Not at all. I got it done for the first time at about 60k kms.
Thanks for the above guidance Eddy.

Cheers,
tush.
Old 18th December 2012, 22:07   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

My brother in law has a swift diesel which has done about 85k kms. I just wanted to know what is the recommended change interval of swift diesel's timing chain. I will appreciate any help on the same. In the meantime I will go through this Huge thread to see if I can find an answer.

thanks
Gaurav
Old 18th December 2012, 22:24   #2525
Team-BHP Support

Does timing chain require a change at all ? I thought its life was equal to the life of the engine.

Waiting for the experts to answer, but I am all ears since my Swift is close to 140k on the original chain.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 17:19   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Does timing chain require a change at all ? I thought its life was equal to the life of the engine.

Waiting for the experts to answer, but I am all ears since my Swift is close to 140k on the original chain.
Timing belt requires change, timing chain doesn't. My 2005 Zxi swift is on the same timing chain last 1.5 lac kms.
Old 20th December 2012, 00:04   #2527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
Timing belt requires change, timing chain doesn't. My 2005 Zxi swift is on the same timing chain last 1.5 lac kms.
Swift petrol has a timing belt I believe, and it has a recommended change interval of 80k kms. If you are running on the timing belt for 1.5 lac kms, you are lucky to have not had it snapped..
Old 20th December 2012, 10:54   #2528
Team-BHP Support

MUL petrol engines have timing belt, best to get it replaced it at 75-80k kms. Mostly the workshop would have already done that. But if its DDiS then it has timing chain, which is lifetime of the engine, so when you do an engine overhaul you need to take a call Or there are some obvious symptoms like noise from the chain gear.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 11:50   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
MUL petrol engines have timing belt, best to get it replaced it at 75-80k kms. Mostly the workshop would have already done that. But if its DDiS then it has timing chain, which is lifetime of the engine, so when you do an engine overhaul you need to take a call Or there are some obvious symptoms like noise from the chain gear.
Sorry for sending wrong info. Will check this weekend. I'm sure i overlooked. For the last 20k kms the vehicle is not serviced. Will take a look at it ASAP.
Old 21st December 2012, 22:07   #2530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Hi Guys,

My brother in law has a swift diesel which has done about 85k kms. I just wanted to know what is the recommended change interval of swift diesel's timing chain. I will appreciate any help on the same. In the meantime I will go through this Huge thread to see if I can find an answer.

thanks
Gaurav
I was informed by the supervisor during my last visit to the service station that the timing chain is showing some signs of an impending replacement through the noise it is making. My Swift has done 125000 kms now. He mentioned it was okay for another 10 - 20k. However the replacement cost is pretty steep as it would set me back around 5k for parts and labor.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 21st December 2012, 23:31   #2531
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
However the replacement cost is pretty steep as it would set me back around 5k for parts and labor.
That's really not steep! My Optra's belt is for 35k. Even when compared to other cars, if the timing chain can be replaced in just 5k, its cheap.
Old 21st December 2012, 23:35   #2532
Team-BHP Support

Jaggu : How do you diagnose that the noise is from the timing chain ?

the only noise that I hear is the engine growl which reduces as soon as I press the clutch (at idle). I figure thats the sign of an ageing clutch (~90k kms old). I hope its not the timing chain ?
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:38   #2533
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the only noise that I hear is the engine growl which reduces as soon as I press the clutch (at idle). I figure thats the sign of an ageing clutch (~90k kms old). I hope its not the timing chain ?
This noise is normally the gear-box. No its not a worry as far as I know, it just means that some gears are not lubricated well enough. This would normally happen only upon a cold start, i.e. when the gear box is not in use. Once you somewhat use all the 5 gears, then the noise should go.

If its a clutch problem, pressing the clutch will increase the noise and not decrease any kind of noise.
Old 22nd December 2012, 20:19   #2534
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm, it happens all the time and not only at the time of startup. And only at nuetral, so I suspect the clutch bearing.
Old 24th December 2012, 13:56   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Team,

I have to go for tyre rotation. Front two and Rear right tyres have done 27K kms. Rear left has done 2K kms.

Please suggest how the rotation has to be done. Spear has done 26 K kms. Should I take out the spare ? It has 4 mended punctures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks