Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2011, 09:06   #2176
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: which battery??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe angelo View Post
3 years and 40k kms completed, and the warning lamps have come up...time to change the batteries......

which battery should i go for??? cos i m using HID s and some high end ICE set up, i need some powerful battery. can anyone suggest one from the Amaron family??? or is there any other choices???
I recently changed the batteries to SF Sonic. Not a widely preferred brand I know but it's doing a good job. Guess I paid around 6-7k for the batteries. Am using Projectors with HID's with a decent ICE with amp and sub. Many recommend Amaron so I guess you can check it too.
Old 29th November 2011, 10:27   #2177
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 55k kms Update Page 1

Swiftnfurious,

I was told that 3 ltr would be suffice as the level on the dipstick would be between min and max. I am really afraid now.
Old 29th November 2011, 16:23   #2178
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 55k kms Update Page 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manver786 View Post
Swiftnfurious,

I was told that 3 ltr would be suffice as the level on the dipstick would be between min and max. I am really afraid now.
I will leave it to the Gurus to answer as I am NOT technically proficient. But on another note, how about buying a small pack [500 ml] or so to make sure you add another 100 ml to it? You probably could use the rest of this small pack on the next oil change as well.
Old 29th November 2011, 19:24   #2179
BHPian

Quote:
Swiftnfurious,

3 ltr is absolutely fine. As a positive, your turbo will be better off as you have avoided overfilling and no oil will be pushed into the intercooler.
Old 29th November 2011, 19:42   #2180
Distinguished - BHPian

The level on the dipstick should be between max and min.
Old 1st December 2011, 16:36   #2181
BHPian

500 ml pack of 10W40 is not available in the market that is why 3ltr was put in. The reason why I opted for changing the fluids with my trusted mechanic was that at the MASS the vehicles are treated like any other commodity (used roughly) and the SAs (most of them) are there to fleece an unsuspecting customer to achieve their targets. This particular mechanic has been serving me for the last 11/12 years in so far as mechanical aspect of the cars is concerned and I have had no regrets. For electrical, if any, I would prefer to go to MASS or authorised distributor/agent of the electrical part (alternator/self etc.) concerned as these are eventually sourced from them and their instead of replacing the whole part, a part of it can be repaired/replaced.

I will keep checking the dipstick from time to time to ensure that the oil level does not got below the 'min' mark.

Thanks to every one for their valuable time.
Old 5th December 2011, 12:58   #2182
Senior - BHPian

I just got my Swift Ldi's 30k service done but due to lack of time couldn't get the EGR valve and Intake manifold cleaned as M.A.S.S suggested that it would take at least a day to get the job done. They said that usually they don't have to take the engine out for it but at times they have to so because there is a chance of breaking/damaging *something* (I don't recall what it was).

I asked for the labour cost for this and he gave an estimation of 3000 rupees, does it sound reasonable? I've read that some people got it cleaned for as low as 850 bucks hence checking.
Old 5th December 2011, 13:13   #2183
BHPian

I have never got it done and don't think it is required. The only thing I regularly and religiously do is to redline the engine once a month so as to clear the soot deposited. Please don't allow anyone to touch your engine except the regular servicing and whenever and wherever you, please shadow your vehicle, as if a family member is in ICU (I do it), even if it means taking a day's off or spending a weekend at the workshop, if required.

thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 15:21   #2184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
M.A.S.S suggested that it would take at least a day to get the job done. They said that usually they don't have to take the engine out for it but at times they have to so because there is a chance of breaking/damaging *something*..

I asked for the labour cost for this and he gave an estimation of 3000 rupees, does it sound reasonable?
They don't have to take the engine out - but it a laborious job. I had my suspension & steering O/H done along with the EGR cleaning [@60K] and the SA said it was easier since they anyway had to open the suspension. I paid 800/- for EGR and another MA$$ quoted 1000/-. 3000/- looks way too bloated!

Quote:
I have never got it done and don't think it is required.
EGR valve cleaning is a preventive maintenance and I guess it is recommended in the manual at every 20K service.
Old 5th December 2011, 15:56   #2185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have never got it done and don't think it is required.
It is recommended at every 30k interval in the user manual.
The only thing I regularly and religiously do is to redline the engine once a month so as to clear the soot deposited.
This is a good thing but wouldn't clear the carbon that is hardened like rock.
Please don't allow anyone to touch your engine except the regular servicing and whenever and wherever you, please shadow your vehicle, as if a family member is in ICU (I do it), even if it means taking a day's off or spending a weekend at the workshop, if required.
This is part of regular servicing only and I'm with my car all the time, one reason why I go to a particular M.A.S.S is because most of them don't allow you inside the workshop beyond a certain point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
They don't have to take the engine out - but it a laborious job. I had my suspension & steering O/H done along with the EGR cleaning [@60K] and the SA said it was easier since they anyway had to open the suspension. I paid 800/- for EGR and another MA$$ quoted 1000/-. 3000/- looks way too bloated!
I particularly asked about the reason behind taking the engine out and he said that usually they don't have to but if *something* gets stuck then they would have to take it out to avoid breaking/damaging that *something*.
People have paid all kind of money for EGR cleaning starting from 800 to 3000 hence wanted to check if anybody's analyzed why there's so much of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
EGR valve cleaning is a preventive maintenance and I guess it is recommended in the manual at every 20K service.
Cleaning is recommended at every 30k interval, but it doesn't say anything about the intake manifold which I believe should also be cleaned.

Most of the people don't get it done unless there's an issue and its diagnosed based on the boost pressure with help of the Suzuki's diagnositc tool. I got the same done and values observed were between 105 to 115 at 2200 to 3000 rpm. He said that if its below 145 EGR cleaning can be avoided but as you said, its a kind of preventive maintenance which enhances the engine life.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 16:07   #2186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
People have paid all kind of money for EGR cleaning starting from 800 to 3000 hence wanted to check if anybody's analyzed why there's so much of difference.
You could call up the regional service office and check for the standard rates if any.

Quote:
Most of the people don't get it done unless there's an issue and its diagnosed based on the boost pressure with help of the Suzuki's diagnositc tool. I got the same done and values observed were between 105 to 115 at 2200 to 3000 rpm. He said that if its below 145 EGR cleaning can be avoided but as you said, its a kind of preventive maintenance which enhances the engine life.
Most of the people don't bother reading the manual and just go by what SAs say. And SAs always recommend things where they can make quick bucks with lowest effort - so they never recommend EGR cleaning.

And thanks for pointing that the EGR valve readings could be taken - I always used to wonder how can I test whether they indeed cleaned it up.
Old 5th December 2011, 17:04   #2187
BHPian

I was also advised by the SA, when the car was in warranty, to avoid EGR cleaning it till such time it is absolutely necessary or there is excessive smoke every time. Since, till now things are under control, there is no need for EGR cleaning. All of us, at one point of time or the other, would have observed that at the MASS the SAs and mecahnics are always running against time to make fast buck thereby at times compromising on the quality of work performed resulting in multiple trips to the service station. This should be avoided as it involves dealing with a critical part of diesel engine. thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 10:40   #2188
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately the problem with EGR cleaning as far as I am concerned is that no one seems to agree on one single way to access the EGR. However here are some suggestions that perhaps may benefit:

In the MASS that I frequent, they insist that the access to the EGR is from beneath the car, making it necessary to move the steering box out of the way.
1. It usually takes them 2 - 3 hrs to complete the process so it makes sense to pay the MASS a visit exclusively for cleaning the EGR rather than have them do a hurried job with the rest of the regular service.

2. EGR cleaning for my car seems to be a problem around the 50k mark

3. It is usual for Maruti car to develp steering rumble due to loose bushes in the steering box. This usually calls for a steering box overhaul. Clubbing this with the EGR cleaning will help you lower labor costs. The first time I did EGR cleaning at 50k it cost me 1100/-. This time they split it up as 700 for the EGR and 700 for the steering box overhaul. The results of both were positive.

So it might make sense to check with you SA how they actually access the EGR and perhaps suggest the same.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 6th December 2011, 13:14   #2189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Unfortunately the problem with EGR cleaning as far as I am concerned is that no one seems to agree on one single way to access the EGR. However here are some suggestions that perhaps may benefit:

In the MASS that I frequent, they insist that the access to the EGR is from beneath the car, making it necessary to move the steering box out of the way.
1. It usually takes them 2 - 3 hrs to complete the process so it makes sense to pay the MASS a visit exclusively for cleaning the EGR rather than have them do a hurried job with the rest of the regular service.

2. EGR cleaning for my car seems to be a problem around the 50k mark

3. It is usual for Maruti car to develp steering rumble due to loose bushes in the steering box. This usually calls for a steering box overhaul. Clubbing this with the EGR cleaning will help you lower labor costs. The first time I did EGR cleaning at 50k it cost me 1100/-. This time they split it up as 700 for the EGR and 700 for the steering box overhaul. The results of both were positive.

So it might make sense to check with you SA how they actually access the EGR and perhaps suggest the same.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Very surprising bcos all along I used to think that Maruti would have advised all MASS in doing the EGR cleaning is a particular way.

In my case when the EGR was cleaned, it was done from the top i.e. they had to remove the battery, wiper assembly, etc and I was charged approx Rs 1600 for EGR cleaning.
Old 6th December 2011, 23:32   #2190
BBT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan

Very surprising bcos all along I used to think that Maruti would have advised all MASS in doing the EGR cleaning is a particular way.

In my case when the EGR was cleaned, it was done from the top i.e. they had to remove the battery, wiper assembly, etc and I was charged approx Rs 1600 for EGR cleaning.
Same here, I was told that access is from the top but a lot of stuff has to be removed to get to it. Cost me about 3000 Rs. in Pune.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks