Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 23:22   #1801
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 1

Try to look under and identify the source of the leak, if you are not sure take some pictures then we can guide you. Black smoke under heavy acceleration is normal if you are predominantly driving in city. Try to raise the revs once in a while to clear off all the soot in the exhaust pipe and then check.
Old 9th April 2011, 00:30   #1802
BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel, Saga continues. The DIESEL experience!Part II 50k kms Update Page 1

My Swift is going for 60000km service next week. Any specific things to be taken care of?
No major issues, only that it gives out bulge of black smoke under hard acceleration in the city, which already has been answered by Jaggu above.

I usually get my service done at Pratham Motors, but this time thinking of going to UM Motors, Indira Nagar, as I've got some good reviews from few of my colleagues. Any idea about this service center?

Also, EGR cleaning has yet not been done on my car. And don't know which MASS is capable of handling that, don't have belief in Pratham to carry out this task. Any suggestions?!

Last edited by asethi : 9th April 2011 at 00:33.
Old 9th April 2011, 00:45   #1803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Black smoke under heavy acceleration is normal if you are predominantly driving in city...
And useful, when you're really fed up with the guy who is tailgating you
Old 12th April 2011, 11:47   #1804
BHPian

Last month i got the 70 k servicing done for my swift in MASS, some suspension issues are not getting adressed since last 2 - 3 services, had teh link rods replaced' but again i get the cluttering noise inside cabin... teh brake paddle also generated rattling noise & got it welded, the SA's report is not satisfactory, i am not sure if a major overhaul is required... can anyone recommend a gargage/mechanic in chennai who is experienced handling these cars...
Old 12th April 2011, 23:03   #1805
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
Last month i got the 70 k servicing done for my swift in MASS, some suspension issues are not getting adressed since last 2 - 3 services, had teh link rods replaced' but again i get the cluttering noise inside cabin... teh brake paddle also generated rattling noise & got it welded, the SA's report is not satisfactory, i am not sure if a major overhaul is required... can anyone recommend a gargage/mechanic in chennai who is experienced handling these cars...
Just shooting in the dark. . . but a lot of times it is the brake calipers which generate a cluttering sound over rough patches.

Try going over the rough with a slight press on the brake pedal, just enough to feel the brakes on the wheels. If you get significantly less or no noise, then get the calipers fixed. In my experience with Marutis, this is the time [65k+] when the calipers give way.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:13   #1806
Team-BHP Support

I had the same issue with caliper noise, but mandovi this time did a great job. SA told me they used some silicone grease to sort it out. Been 1000 kms still no sound, usually it comes back in 200-300 kms
Old 13th April 2011, 14:21   #1807
Distinguished - BHPian

Same case here. Had the issue and got the calipers replaced since it was under warranty.
Old 14th April 2011, 20:30   #1808
BHPian

Seems OT,
But seeing so many diesel addicts here I'm putting my question here:
I'll start driving my first diesel car (Swift Vdi). Since last ten years I drove only petrol cars.

So, any specific thing that I need to watch or correct in my driving style?
Old 14th April 2011, 21:24   #1809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Seems OT,
But seeing so many diesel addicts here I'm putting my question here:
I'll start driving my first diesel car (Swift Vdi). Since last ten years I drove only petrol cars.

So, any specific thing that I need to watch or correct in my driving style?
Since most of the present diesel engines are well refined, I dont think your driving style needs to be changed.

1) Always try to engage top gear whenever possible.
2) Try not to rev the engine.
3) Do regular checkups (engine, tyre)

I know these are to be followed in petrol models too but this is just a reminder.
Old 14th April 2011, 21:31   #1810
BHPian

I think the optimum range for gear shift is around 2.5K which I also follow strictly for my petrol car. IMO engaging the top gear "as soon as possible" is not healthy - need to keep an eye on the engine RPM.
BTW I found an excellent thread on gearheads titled "Diesel driving- things to remember". Got all my answers.
Don't know whether I can post the link here or not!!
archat68 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2011, 21:52   #1811
Team-BHP Support

Very honestly there is nothing much, if you have been driving for last 10 years it will max take a day or two to understand a diesel engine. Especially a modern one like DDiS. Basically the rpm and the associated power and torque curve would be slightly different.

Only thing you can follow is to idle for a while before shutting the engine down while doing very high revs for long time. This is applicable for all turbo engines.
Old 14th April 2011, 23:24   #1812
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a lot easier to adjust to a diesel than, say, make the change to an auto box.

Just ... everything becomes easier and more forgiving!
Old 14th April 2011, 23:37   #1813
BHPian

Thanks for giving me confidence guys!! Waiting eagerly to get hold of my car - stupid bank holiday for two consecutive days here in Kolkata.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:35   #1814
BHPian

My swift's battery is weak. i just checked the voltages and it is showing 12.1. I have been noticing that i have to hold key lil more to start the car hence extra load on starter motor i guess.
My swift has done 37500 Kms. SA told me that change in next service(40K). It wont be a problem for running couple of thousands KMs in city. MASS Quoting me 8900 Rs for Exide. OEM battery lasted for say around 2.5 years for me. but I am also running carputer and ICE.
Which is the best battery available ? Amaron ? or should i go with MASS ?
Old 15th April 2011, 20:58   #1815
Distinguished - BHPian

Early indicator of a failing battery on a Swift: the diesel filter light stays on!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks