Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2007, 19:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

My new CVT - ownership experience

t is a long mail.

Well, Sep 27th was D Day. I was to be at the showroom at 11AM, but was there only by 12noon.

I requested a delivery before 1AM. Though they had a problem with their washing apparatus, we drove out at12.58PM.

The overall experience presales started with a roadshow in Alleppey. A Mr Vinod is in charge. When we went to the venue to see City, it had gone off for a test drive request 30kms away. So we did a test drive of the Civic. Both (wife and me) were impressed with the car except for the low seating resulting in a difficult getting in and out.

A week later he brought the City over (dealer is 53kms away) and we liked the car. Only manual was available for test drive then. Since I wanted to test drive the CVT (which was new to me, though the plain old automatics were familiar) before committing.

We were impressed with the back seat height and the ease of entry and exit which was a criteria very important and which excluded very many cars.

When Mr Vinod brought down the Civic Auto for a test drive session, we had one too. The paddle shift was awesome.

Then a friend of Mr Vinod's took a CVT in a nearby place and they came to offer me a test drive. It was accepted with thanks and then I booked it. Even the colour options were shown to us by taking us to other customer's places.

Ruby Red gave away to Galaxy Grey and ended in Carbon Bronze. Carbon Bronze has turned to be a very good shade.

At the showroom all paper works were done smoothly and fast. Only when Mr Vinod checked the insurance papers did he realise that I was a doctor and since they had a schem for IMA members, he offered the same - Rs 10000 worth accessories - and I accepted.

The extended warranty was taken as it is from Honda itself.

A snap along with the car (print given immediately), a box of sweets, a rose and lemons under the tyres, a ceremonial handing over the key with good wishes, ringing of the 'Happy Bell' and we were off. The side lane bordering the 4 lane Cochin byepass is in horrible condition and we had to traverse that.

I was feeling that the ride was a little harsh and was different from the test drive car.

The car was supposed to have a little less than 10 litres of petrol and the low fuel level light was on. We filled in petrol (ordinary as advised by Mr Vinod) in the next bunk. It took 38.51 litres. We were told that the capacity of the tank is 42 but upto 45l can go in. Zeroed the trip meter. After 8 km of the cochin byepass which is extremely busy at 40 to 50 kph and a toll gate we were on to the completely 4 laned stretch of 25 kms followed by 20 kms of single carriage highway to my place. So 52.6 kms later I was at home. The speeds were upto a maximum of 75kph.

I had gone to the show room in a 30 month old 51000kms old Indigo GSX (petrol) with non standard 185/65R14 tyres. This was was also filled up at the same bunk and followed us home driven by my driver. Both cars were used with the AC on. The Indigo trip meter showed 52.4.

For 53kms (at the petrol bunk here) the Indigo took in 5.66l giving 9.36kpl. The City took in 4.12l giving 13.1kpl. The previous tankful in the Indigo had given 12.36kpl.

The mileages given under the same testing with different cars:

Marina LS Tdi - 13.01kpl
Innova V Diesel - 19.62kpl
Zen Di - 21kpl. The accompanying Indica DLE gave 24.8kpl.
Both the cars were topped up in our place.

Now even on the highway, I was feeling the ride to be 'rough'. A check here showed the tyre pressures were 40+ in the different tyres. They were corrected to 32 in front and 30 rear. It had run 53kms when they were checked yesterday. The low speed ride is less rough now, though rougher
than my Marina.

I put PLATI alloy wheels retaining the OEM Bridgestone tubeless tyres.

Regards,

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 31604 kms, 13.94 kpl, 46km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 589 kms, 13.93 kpl, 65km/day)
Old 8th October 2007, 11:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Forgot the images

Hi,

Forgot to put the images that I had.

I do hope I get it right.

The CVT from the front:

The new PLATI 14" alloy wheel

The images are from my Nokia 6265 mobile phone. Not good at photography.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 589 kms, 13.93 kpl, 65km/day)
Old 8th October 2007, 13:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

hey doc!

Congratulations! what made you go in for a petrol, after all those diesels?

and did I read that right? 19KPL in the Innova!! Damn!

anyways, happy motoring and enjoy this beauty.

Nice alloys. pls post a picture of the car in profile as well.
Old 8th October 2007, 13:45   #4
BANNED

Nice car good choice !!
Old 8th October 2007, 13:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dr Rajesh, I had read your review on Yahoo Groups. Welcome back !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Now even on the highway, I was feeling the ride to be 'rough'. A check here showed the tyre pressures were 40+ in the different tyres. They were corrected to 32 in front and 30 rear. It had run 53kms when they were checked yesterday. The low speed ride is less rough now, though rougher than my Marina.
Cars are shipped from factory with high PSI. Dealer should correct the air-pressure during their PDI. They must have missed this. Even I found the ride a bit hard till the car had clocked 2000 Km. After that it softened. Now its close to 12,000 Km and its a delight to drive
Old 10th October 2007, 16:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

>Congratulations! what made you go in for a petrol, after all those diesels?

Thanks. I wanted an automatic. The diesel automatic models availale are Octavia / Laura. The former has a very cramped rear seat whereas the latter has slightly better rear seat space and is way too costly. Even the Octavia is pretty costly and out of budget for me right now.

> and did I read that right? 19KPL in the Innova!! Damn!

I got that only once. The next best was 16.72 over the same 52 kms two months after the first run. But the average it gave over 26000+ kms was just 12.21kpl.

> Nice alloys. pls post a picture of the car in profile as well.

Done.

CVT Profile (parked outside my shop)

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 31604 kms, 13.94 kpl, KL 04 T7722, 46km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 779 kms, 13.35 kpl, KL 04 W9585, 65km/day)
Old 10th October 2007, 16:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Welcome back !!

Thanks.

>Cars are shipped from factory with high PSI. Dealer should correct the >air-pressure during their PDI. They must have missed this.

True as we found out after reaching my place. They hurried to give us delivery by the time we had specified. I would not hold this against them.

>Even I found the ride a bit hard till the car had clocked 2000 Km. After that >it softened.

The test drive manual did not feel as rough and it was 35000+ kms old. When I test drove the CVT (brand new one) I was just concentrating on the CVT part and I never ventured into any rough roads.

Well, it is more of a comparative feeling and can live with it. If it eventually softens, it will be good. The front drivers seat is not as supportive as my Marina's. Ease of entry and exit is also slightly compromised on the front. It is fine at the back.

> Now its close to 12,000 Km and its a delight to drive

Is yours a manual? I am just coming to grips with the CVT. The lack of engine noise also takes a little getting used. The guages tell you the speed / RPM and it takes a light foot to keep from over revving.

Moreover I try to abide by the 70kph speed limit here and so it just needs the foot on the accelerator pedal to keep it within that speed. The RPM is about 1700 at that point. Unfortunately, that may not be the ideal RPM to get good fule economy. Our roads here do not allow us to keep it at a constant speed for even small duration.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 779 kms, 13.35 kpl, 65km/day)
Old 10th October 2007, 18:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
...Is yours a manual? I am just coming to grips with the CVT. The lack of engine noise also takes a little getting used. The guages tell you the speed / RPM and it takes a light foot to keep from over revving.

Moreover I try to abide by the 70kph speed limit here and so it just needs the foot on the accelerator pedal to keep it within that speed. The RPM is about 1700 at that point. Unfortunately, that may not be the ideal RPM to get good fule economy. Our roads here do not allow us to keep it at a constant speed for even small duration.
Mine is a manual. I have no idea about CVT. But there are many here who own AT, they might offer better suggestions.

Doesn't the CVT with the accessories you have added, come close to Civic AT? You must have considered that. There are many Civic & Corolla AT owners here on the forum.

PS: There is an alloy thread running where you can post your alloy pictures
Old 16th October 2007, 18:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

>Mine is a manual. I have no idea about CVT. But there are many here who own >AT, they might offer better suggestions.

Ok. Will wait for responses.

>Doesn't the CVT with the accessories you have added, come close to Civic >AT?

The ex showroom price of Civic AT is nearly 3.5L more. My main accessory added is the alloy wheels.

>PS: There is an alloy thread running where you can post your alloy pictures

I am still not used to team bhp. Will do that.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 31604 kms, 13.94 kpl, KL 04 T7722, 46km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 779 kms, 13.35 kpl, KL 04 W9585, 65km/day)
Old 23rd November 2007, 13:12   #10
BHPian

Hi Dr.Rajesh,

I don't know how I missed your this post? Anyway seems you have started getting involved in tbhp more now. You were a silent member here these days as compared to tiug.
I was also a silent reader all these days, and now few postings here and there.

Regards
Old 26th November 2007, 18:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

My CVT at 2500kms

Hi,

Two months, 2502kms - the journey has been quite smooth so far. Running it a little more instead of its friend, my Marina, to see the mileage it will give under different drivers and under different driving conditions.

The roads it covers are mainly the NH47 between Alleppey and Ernakulam and the Alleppey - Changanacherry roads. I go to Changanacherry on the latter road. Since my daughter studies in a school at Champakulam, school trips are also on this road.

The last tank full gave 15.15kpl over 182kms, 62kms by my driver (for the school trips) and the rest by me (a trip to the Nokia care centre near Medical Trust Hospital).

AC on 100% and auto, I am happy with the mileage.

The only grouse is in most cars that I have used, by this mileage, I am fairly sure about what my tank will take to fill in relation to the guage reading. But the City guage has foxed me. The 10th anniversary guage has 11 small marking between E and half and another 11 markings between half and F. The tank took 12.01 litres to the brim when the needle was between 4th and fifth marking from F after 182kms. Eventually, I hope to get used to the metre reading / fuel filled in relationship.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 34199 kms, 13.96 kpl, 46km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 2502 kms, 13.67 kpl, 41km/day)
Old 26th November 2007, 18:58   #12
BANNED

Thats an unbelievable FE
Old 26th November 2007, 19:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

>>diabloo;Thats an unbelievable FE

The best mileage has been 15.91kpl over 140kms.

When I drive, I try to be within 70kph (official speed limit in Kerala. That will be around 1750RPM.

It is going to be driven only by my driver on school runs for a few times. His driving style is different. Each school run is 31kms.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 34199 kms, 13.96 kpl, 46km/day, KL 04 T7722)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 2502 kms, 13.67 kpl, 41km/day, KL 04 W9585)
Old 27th November 2007, 10:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the `exclusive' club of people having an automatic. I am sure that after driving an automatic, you may drive or buy a manual again. Regarding the tank issue, I suggest that next time get the tank full on autolock. That would give you more or less accurate FE. I have more or less figured out when the Corolla gives a fuel warning indicator. This is at 38-39 litres consumed. At that time, there are 2-2.5 gauges left for bottom gauge. Next time and perhaps for 2-3 times, try to get fuel filled only when fuel warning comes on. By filling at that time, you will know after 1-2 averages, what is the consumption before warning comes on, and 1 gauge signifies roughly what litres of fuel.

City anyway gives high FE and I have also heard that CVT City can achieve the mileage that you are getting, which is pretty high.
Old 27th November 2007, 17:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vasudeva,

>Welcome to the `exclusive' club of people having an automatic. I am sure
> that after driving an automatic, you may drive or buy a manual again.

I did have an automatic before, Cielo between 1996 and 1998. But the pattern of running those days was mostly in the local area and for short disances. It got worse when my daughter started attending school. The mileage dropped to 5 or 6 kpl.

That is when I shifted to diesels and have been with diesels ever since. The diesel automatic presently availbale is more than what I would like to spend and has very cramped rear seats.

I wanted an automatic this time and the City was the VFM among the automatics available.

> Regarding the tank issue, I suggest that next time get the tank full on
> autolock.

Very few pump attendants here use that feature! Again the sensitivity could vary!

> time and perhaps for 2-3 times, try to get fuel filled only when fuel warning > comes on.

I never wait until that level. Usually it is at half tank level.

> City anyway gives high FE and I have also heard that CVT City can achieve > the mileage that you are getting, which is pretty high.

Thanks.

I have more or less concluded that for other than stop and go traffic, acheiving 13kpl with AC is very easy. I just wanted to see how high I manage to go.

I only wish it had a better ride!

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 34199 kms, 13.96 kpl, 46km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 2502 kms, 13.67 kpl, 41km/day)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks