Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 00:29   #121
Senior - BHPian

Peninsular Honda Trivandrum doesn't take back the estimate. They don't even ask for a look at it as a proof of ownership at delivery either. I haven't kept any of my older estimates though. But I should have the latest one somewhere. Let me search. It'll be interesting to compare the charges they mention on it. I think I spot a few differences.

My Civic manual also talks only about 6 month service intervals. But they do say that some local conditions may require more frequent servicing. I guess Indian fuel/climate/roads do necessitate extra servicing, even if it is just cursory. According to my SA, three month services are just preventive maintenance - a lot of checks and tightening.

Do they charge you for windscreen washer fluid? Mine gets refilled at every service for free and I've never mentioned it to them.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:16   #122
BHPian

Hi,

What happened to your front wheel's center sticker? Fell off?
Old 16th July 2009, 17:19   #123
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Peninsular Honda Trivandrum doesn't take back the estimate. But I should have the latest one somewhere. Let me search. It'll be interesting to compare the charges they mention on it. I think I spot a few differences.
Thanks. Next time I think I will have to shed a little of my good boy image! Please do compare it and if possible put it up either here or in your thread.

Quote:
My Civic manual also talks only about 6 month service intervals. But they do say that some local conditions may require more frequent servicing.
Most of the times, I won't be covering 5000kms in three months. I am against wasting resources before date and so I take it for service only when I complete the 5000kms.

Quote:
Do they charge you for windscreen washer fluid? Mine gets refilled at every service for free and I've never mentioned it to them.
I made a mistake of not going through the bill properly. I missed out on this as well as a labour only item. This the first time I have been charged for the washer fluid. I never even know whether they fill it. It is hardly used by me.

Next time I will be a little more careful and check the bill thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
What happened to your front wheel's center sticker? Fell off?
Yes, it peeled off and did not bother to get another one made. In fact, both the front ones are not there, but the rears are still there.

@abhilash: I am sure all is well on the family side and your Swift!
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:29   #124
Senior - BHPian

ScanguageII and CVT

Hi,

I have compared the last two tanks of petrol usage with the Scanguage.

My new CVT - ownership experience-scanguager.jpg

Rows 41 to 46 correspond to daily runs of the first tank. Row 62 shows the tank reading for the first tank.

Details of the first tank:

I39 is the consumption as per the guage - 11.75L. C39 is the distance as per the guage whereas L39 is the distance based on the odometer - 197.12 and 204km. B39 and J39 are the fuel consumption figures for the respective distance based on I39 - 16.78 and 17.36kpl.

The actual petrol which went into the tank on refilling was 15.5L and gave a consumption of 13.16kpl. So the guage figure of 11.75L was corrected to 15.5L as a calibration process.

Rows 50 to 56 correspond to daily runs of the second tank. Row 63 shows the tank reading for the second tank.

Details of the second tank:

I48 is the consumption as per the guage - 21.83L. C48 is the distance as per the guage whereas L48 is the distance based on the odometer - 255.04 and 265km. B48 and J48 are the fuel consumption figures for the respective distance based on I48 - 11.68 and 12.14kpl.

The actual petrol which went into the tank on refilling was 20.32L and gave a consumption of 13.04kpl. So the guage figure of 21.83L has been corrected to 20.32L to continue the calibration process.

The Scanguage manual very specifically tells that the fillings are at the auto cutoff whereas my fillings have been to the brim. Moroever the speed was to be calibrated using a GPS system. I did it once with my driver driving the car. It may not have been that accurate looking at the distance difference between the guage and the odometer (around -3.37 to -3.75%)

My overall average at the end of 35535kms stands at 13.31kpl of 100% AC drive.
Old 24th July 2009, 13:33   #125
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Now you can practice hypermiling in its true sense
You said you had it in your Santro. Was the mileage part of the guage correct? Does it need a lot of calibration?
Old 30th July 2009, 18:44   #126
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Scanguage
The next tankful 9as of 28/07/2009):

My new CVT - ownership experience-scangauage280709.jpg

The fuel used as per guage was 11.2 litres whereas the actual fill was only 10.8 litres. I have adjusted the figure in the guage. Let us see with the next fill.

There is a slight distance difference: as per guage it is 154.4km where as per odometer it was 160km.

This time all of it was by my driver and it appears that his driving style is better off as far as mileage is concerned. This time it was 14.81kpl.

The present average (122km after the last fill) is 9.15mpl (14.64kpl)
Old 14th October 2009, 20:20   #127
Senior - BHPian

Bad luck with tyres?

Hi,

At 39450kms, I am a little sad to report that, my front tyre especially the right one is not in good condition.

With no apparnet alignment problem felt in the steering and the outer edge appearing fine, I was fooled.

This is what it looks like:
My new CVT - ownership experience-image_347.jpg

The left one is slightly better with wear in both edges:
My new CVT - ownership experience-image_348.jpg

The right rear:
My new CVT - ownership experience-image_349.jpg
My new CVT - ownership experience-image_350.jpg
I could not manage to catch it in either image, there is a small patch of wear every 2 inches all over on either side. We isolated a tyre related noise to this tyre. There was a bearing change in this wheel at the 30000kms service. Has that gone bad? Will know it when I go next week for my 40000kms service. The shock absorber looks fine from an external inspection and no suspension problems felt.

The left rear:
My new CVT - ownership experience-image_351.jpg
This looked fine as far as wear and tyre was concerned. This tyre in particular had suffered a couple of punctures, one of them was on the edge where the tread meets the sidewall.

The puncture:
My new CVT - ownership experience-image_352.jpg
Since this tyre was losing pressure (albeit very slowly, say in 3 weeks from 28 to 18), decided to check. The air leak was identified in the area where it was repaired once and a new repair did not succeed and so it has been gifted with a tube and fitted back in the same position.

The surprise:
My new CVT - ownership experience-image_353.jpg
When the tyre was inpsected for air leak, a nail (a 1cm small thin screw) was found in the tread, but was not long enough to cause air leak. Then we found the air leak as in the last image.

When the tyre was dismounted, we found this. The dark patch was an earlier puncture repair. Near it was this 1 inch long nail with the head inside and half of it buried into the tread from INSIDE. Nothing of the nail or the earlier repair was visible on the outside. How this nail got into the tyre is a mystery.

Coincidentally, even in my Marina, the front tyres are all worn out, the left rear sports a tube and the right rear is the best.
Old 21st October 2009, 18:17   #128
Senior - BHPian

Oil

Hi,

I am going in for my 40000kms service tomorrow.

I have been told that Honda is using only synthetic oils now and so I have no option to use mineral oil in my Honda. It has had only mineral oil until now.

Has Honda taken any such decision?
Old 22nd October 2009, 18:30   #129
Senior - BHPian

Ouch... that statement by your @$$ is bound to increase your cost of ownership. Whats the damage. Did you call any bangalore or chennai @$$ to validate that statement?
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:57   #130
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Ouch... that statement by your @$$ is bound to increase your cost of ownership. Whats the damage. Did you call any bangalore or chennai @$$ to validate that statement?
That would increase the cost by about Rs 1300 for every oil change. What is the point in checking with another dealer elsewhere. I have to deal with Peninsular Honda only.

Anyway the service was done yesterday. Will give the details later here. Another twist to that oil tale is that the oil still has to be changed every 5000kms!

A previous query to Honda was answered through the dealership only, so am not looking to getting info that way. In that case the last service advisor is taken to task for not explaining things.

Since all cars with Honda come with ivtec engines, the oils recommended are synthetics, so only synthetic is supplied - this was the reason cited.

But when I thought I would give an excellent rating for the service in the feedback card (in spite of that oil issue), they did not give me any.
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:32   #131
Senior - BHPian

Uhh, your dealership is trying to rip you off Sir.

Peninsular TVM insists on synth for the Civic only. All the other cars run mineral. Hell, there are several Civics on the forum running mineral. My dealership went as far as recommending I change oil every year instead of every six months because of the synth oil.
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:38   #132
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Uhh, your dealership is trying to rip you off Sir.

Peninsular TVM insists on synth for the Civic only. All the other cars run mineral. Hell, there are several Civics on the forum running mineral. My dealership went as far as recommending I change oil every year instead of every six months because of the synth oil.
Food for thought!

At the last service, even I was told that with synthetic I can do oil change once every 10000kms. Even that option is not available anymore.

Unfortunately Honda routes all queries through the dealer itself.

Let me check.

Thanks.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:38   #133
Senior - BHPian

Update : Your dealership isn't trying to rip you off. Honda is actually asking synth to be filled in everything. Negotiate with the dealership to let you refill by KMs. Apparently they're now making sure all their cars run to 3L KMs without requiring any engine work and this is part of the strategy.
Old 26th October 2009, 14:24   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... they're now making sure all their cars run to 3L KMs without requiring any engine work and this is part of the strategy.
Eh, what is this new thing now? How many people use a car for (personal use) for 3L Kms. The 'car' thing is still very new to the 'other' 0.7 billion in India. 3L is too much to even position as a USP. 10Ps/KM maintenance cost with 4-5Yrs unlimited/unconditional warranty is something that will sell. But again, thats impossible.
Old 26th October 2009, 14:54   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update : Your dealership isn't trying to rip you off. Honda is actually asking synth to be filled in everything. Negotiate with the dealership to let you refill by KMs. Apparently they're now making sure all their cars run to 3L KMs without requiring any engine work and this is part of the strategy.
LOL i dont believe this! Engines run of synthetics run 3L while others dont?! what a piece of info.

Get your own oil and change it, best thing to do.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed