Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 08:01   #136
Senior - BHPian

@Jaggu : True. But you have to put up with these clowns until the warranty period is over and that's 4 years. Or get cosy with the dealership. The synth drive is also part of the launch strategy for the diesels.

Anyway, I use synth in my Civic and the SA lets me change oil at a longer interval while retaining my warranty. That's okay in my book.
Old 29th October 2009, 13:16   #137
Senior - BHPian

Synthetic oil in City

@Immortalz

I am totally confused as I really cannot confirm that my dealer is trying to eke out more money from me.. Somebody in Bangalore (I think) got mineral oil in their ANHC.

Among the emails sent to various dealers in Kerala, Coimbatore and Bangalore, the Kottayam dealer apparently has quoted a rate with mineral oil, the other dealer in Cochin apparently uses only synthetic and Coimbatore dealer won't give an estimate over email.

None gave details only one amount for the 40000kms service.

I may have to just bear with the additional expense of about Rs 1200 to Rs 1300 every 5000kms for the synthetic oil.

I am yet to post the 40000kms service details. I was engaged and could not log in for a couple of days.

Last edited by trrk : 29th October 2009 at 13:17.
Old 29th October 2009, 17:49   #138
Team-BHP Support

My understanding- mineral is still available at BLR dealerships, will confirm in a day or two since Crv is in for service as i type. I think the whole synth business is a dealership issue and most probably Honda is totally unaware of it.
Old 29th October 2009, 18:24   #139
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
My understanding- mineral is still available at BLR dealerships, will confirm in a day or two since Crv is in for service as i type. I think the whole synth business is a dealership issue and most probably Honda is totally unaware of it.
Thanks.

I seriously doubt whether Honda would be unaware of such practices. I believe the billing etc is centralised. Of course, at BLR, without filter oil chnge charges were for 3.4L and here it was 3.7L, so anything is possible.

I once made a mess for my relations with the local dealer by putting a query to Honda. Thet routed the query through the dealer and the service advisor was taken to task for no fault of his.

The only other option for servicing is a new dealer in Kottayam. The other dealer in Cochin / Ernakulam was notorious in his previous avatar!
Old 29th October 2009, 19:18   #140
Senior - BHPian

Guages

Hi,

After a long time, I am posting my fuel guage again.

The last petrol fill was weird. After filling about 8.02 litre the petrol pump went dry. So the car was driven about 0.8kms to another pump and filled to brim as usual. It took another 25.89 litre, making it a total of 33.91 litre for a running of 417 km resulting in a 12.3 kpl efficiency.

Now see where the fuel guage is:
My new CVT - ownership experience-image_421.jpg
This position should give me a good mileage reading.

Just so that the Scanguage does not feel neglected:
My new CVT - ownership experience-image_422.jpg

From what I gather from the threads here, the most accurate fuel efficiency readings from trip computers have been for the Lineas / Puntos. The Scanguage is not quite accurate in my case at least.

The AVG reading is for the last 15 km which I drove to take a photo for the new thread I created. The tank average right now stands at 9.6 and the readings are in miles per litre.
Old 29th October 2009, 21:58   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Uhh, your dealership is trying to rip you off Sir.

Peninsular TVM insists on synth for the Civic only. All the other cars run mineral. Hell, there are several Civics on the forum running mineral. My dealership went as far as recommending I change oil every year instead of every six months because of the synth oil.
Peninsular TVM used synthetic for my Jazz when I did 5K service this week. Rs 1280.
Old 30th October 2009, 11:39   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijujj View Post
Peninsular TVM used synthetic for my Jazz when I did 5K service this week. Rs 1280.
1280 for synthetic oil, thats damn cheap or is there something amiss?
Old 30th October 2009, 19:48   #143
Senior - BHPian

Hi Biju,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijujj View Post
The IVTEC engines drink only synthetic as per Peninsular Honda Cochin. So they are forcing me (have already) to use the same in my City too.

That amount does not sound right though. Could you scan the bill or write out the line from the bill?
Old 31st October 2009, 12:45   #144
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
The AVG reading is for the last 15 km which I drove to take a photo for the new thread I created. The tank average right now stands at 9.6 and the readings are in miles per litre.
The fillup was done yesterday and indeed has given a good result. The CVT even in the conditions that we use is capable of giving good mileage. This also inlcudes 45 minutes idling.

The distance was 226 kms (141.25 m) and the tank took 13.34 litres resulting in 16.94 kpl.

The details as per the Scanguage:

Distance travelled: 137 m (219.2 km)
Time Taken: 6.1 hours
Average speed: 22 mph (35.2 kph)
Fuel Used: 14.4 litre
Fuel Efficiency average: 9.4 mpl (15.04 kpl)

The calculated figures from the above is 9.51 mpl (15.22 kpl). There is a slight difference in the distance travelled between the car's odometer and the Scanguage. This could be because the speed displayed in the guage is supposed to be corrected after using a GPS device when starting with new configuration.

The overall efficiency stands at 13.3 kpl.

I was lazy to go home and take another snap of the fuel guage before refuelling.
Old 31st October 2009, 17:24   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Biju,

That amount does not sound right though. Could you scan the bill or write out the line from the bill?
Sorry, it was Rs 1802. I got all the digits jumbled up.
Old 7th November 2009, 03:05   #146
Senior - BHPian

I had a look at your tires and man are they worn out. I have double your thread depth and Capitol Honda advised me to change my tires 7000 km previously itself. And regarding oil change, Honda service every 5K means an oil change and every 10K oil filter change too. I switched over to synthetic oil at 30K and plan to give my car for the next service only at 40K. Oil change every 5K seems ridiculous. Unless you're living in the Sahara, I guess. Mineral oil was still available at Madurai when i serviced it last month.
Old 7th November 2009, 20:00   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I had a look at your tires and man are they worn out.
Only the front ones!

Quote:
Oil change every 5K seems ridiculous. Unless you're living in the Sahara, I guess. Mineral oil was still available at Madurai when i serviced it last month.
Even with mineral oil, change at every 5000kms is ridiculous. But then that 'warranty' things hangs in my mind and so I comply. Especially now it is an out of production model and with the 2 more year extended warranty, I have to abide by Honda's crazy conditions!
Old 8th November 2009, 07:47   #148
Senior - BHPian

Is the extended warranty limited by km as well as time?
Old 8th November 2009, 22:42   #149
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Is the extended warranty limited by km as well as time?
I am afraid so! The car comes with a 2 year 40000kms warranty and the extended warranty is for another 2 years and ends either at 4 years or 80000kms whichever is earlier.

My 40000 has come after 25 months. If my daughter studies in the same school for her 11th and 12th, my car would see close to that mileage before the warranty is over.
Old 29th November 2009, 14:24   #150

Capital Honda at Chennai offered me an option of putting syntheitc oil in City Zx Gxi, during 20K km service, they also said oil change interval was 10 K km, now I have to take special care to tell them at every 5K service, otherwise they will drain it out & change it. But it is not compulsory to go for Syn oil, it seems.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks