Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2024, 07:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bought a Used Toyota Innova with 232,000 km | Withstanding the test of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
- Your friend has bought the right car, It will serve him extremely well
- We had a similar 2009 Innova GX 8 seater in the dark red mica metallic shade
- owned the car for a little over 12.5 years and did 1,47,000+ kms at the time of sale
- followed the 5k kms schedule till the car hit a lakh kms and post that only serviced the car at 10k kms interval
- drove our Innova to Bhutan and back when it hit a lakh kms.

The realse value was also great we sold the car for 53.5% of what we paid for it after 12.5 years.
Thank You @Shanksta. Your Innova's story is typically the same with most owners of this trusted workhorse. I'm surprised at why you changed the service interval after 1lac kms. I know Toyota would insist on a 5k service interval, but also know private owners who'd service their Innovas outside - start with a 10k interval and then reduce to 7k kms as the car ages. Resale values are still strong in TN; understandable given how avaricious Toyota has become while pricing their latest offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
A wise choice, the Old Innova was a very reliable workhorse, pure mechanical no electrical non sense

Knowing TN and their affinity towards Diesel cars, pretty sure this would be opposed by all means
Thank You Rakesh. I agree with the last statement and that's one of the thoughts basis which I told my friend to consider this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasadS View Post
Congratulations to your friend
- Innova for almost 9 years(1.27 lakh on the odo).
- Travelling across the non existent rural roads in Maharashtra with a 1 yr old, nothing gives you as much confidence as an Innova.
- The grunt of the Diesel on the ghats, overtaking, gliding over on rough patches in comfort where others are barely crawling.
- My kid didn't even wake up on those bone rattling roads!
Thank You Prasad. Your few statements sum up the virtues of this car. If one isn't obsessed with very high speeds, nothing can beat the old Innova in other departments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Say no more on why your friend chose a T...! Period
Thank You, Santosh, and congrats on the Altima. Except the carpet bit, all other points you'd mentioned had already been inspected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠Many FNG's are proficient in converting to Type 4 and other mechanical upgrades. ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠You can locate a trustworthy one and conduct a comprehensive inspection of all components and consumables at a reasonable price.
Thank You, @RGK. My friend was asked by his trusted FNG if he was keen on addition of an intercooler. I just told him to leave the car stock and consider this only if he finds the need to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
A very good choice indeed despite being a 15 year old car.We bought the old Innova in 2016 when the odo was at 75k Kms, which was nothing for an Innova at that time and sold it after adding 120k Kms on it
Thank You, @car_guy1998. Yet another long tourer story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mir View Post
Surprised to see a k&n filter on a 2.4 lakh kms run car. Any idea how many of those kms were run with the K&N?
Good observation, Doc. That was the first question I'd asked, and was told there was no K&N inside. Apparently, must have been removed by the service center during one of the services, not realizing what this air filter is for.

Last edited by vigsom : 15th June 2024 at 07:21.
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 07:30   #17
GTE
BHPian

Looking at the camshafts & other internals without any carbon coating it seems that the oil changes were quite regular. This together with the fact that the engine is extremely understressed (low power for the displacement) it will run indefinitely. The strength of the Toyota Innova.
GTE is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 11:31   #18
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review | 2009 Toyota Innova | Withstanding the Test of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Say no more on why your friend chose a T...! Period.

If I were you I would done the following.

Change all fluids - engine oil, gear oil, diff oil, brake oil, power steering oil, coolant.

Change all filters - engine oil filter, air filter, cabin AC filter, fuel filter

List may be exhaustive, but I followed this on a recently purchased 12 "Unforgiving-Dubai-Summer-years" old Altima with 208~k kms on the speedo, now the car does 140 in the 1st lane and doesnt skip a beat.
Even though I have not purchased a pre-worshipped 4 wheeler, I would do exactly the same as you have written. Way back in 1992, when I purchased a pre-worshipped Kawasaki Bajaj RTZ Delta, immediately after taking delivery from the existing owner, I took it to the Bajaj Authorized Dealer workshop and got all consumables changed. Even the front and rear brake pads. The bike had 10,200 kms on its odo. The bike was with me for well over 13 years.
ALTIMAed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 21:12   #19
BHPian

Iam using a 2006 V, innova with 2.3 lakh KM Odometer reading. Interiors including steering wheel looks fresh even after 17 years of use. Apart from the regular services, i removed the seats and the original carpet and did an epoxy coating. Also cleaned both front and rear cooling coils.
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a Used Toyota Innova with 232,000 km | Withstanding the test of time-20240613_134527.jpg  

tikku.dk is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 23:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Background

This story is rather recent and is about how an experienced engineer friend demonstrated courage and conviction in picking up a 15 year young 2009 Innova V in Chennai.

Attachment 2616333
@vigsom Among the latest diesel options out there in the market, this OG Innova is the perfect purchase, Congratulations!

I can totally relate to the satisfaction & enthusiasm of owning an OG Innova, it never gets old, even if the owner ages!

My Dad brought the 2011 BS3 Innova 2.5 G (diesel), when I was in 7th standard. Though I did not knew much about cars back then, I had already fell in love with this machine since then. It never misses to please the owner in every aspect: driving comfort, the power if delivers, the technology it holds within (no unnecessary electronics and sensors) & the reliability.

Now I have turned 26 years and working at Bengaluru, I am the one who can proudly say that I drive an Innova. Recently, my Dad advised that he will sell the Innova and get a new 4W. But I have a lot of attachments and memories that I can not let go into someone else's hands. This is her, in all its glory, with 229750 km as of today:

Bought a Used Toyota Innova with 232,000 km | Withstanding the test of time-1-0.jpg

I drive her to office 3 days a week, and at times I do take my R15 out to balance the usage of my possessions. Due to the stringent diesel norms and the BS6 fuel, Innova does not return the good old 14 kmpl, but instead provides me with 10-12 kmpl on highways and 9-10.5 kmpl on city commutes. Provided my age is 26 YO, kid inside me no longer look for fuel economy: its all sheer driving pleasure and the comfort I get when I driver her.

I am planning to maintain and own her as long as the government (RTO) allows me to. In addition, I am also planning to invest on few cosmetic changes (a full body paint and bumper replacement) along with few major components that have started to show signs of rust.

Like the Innova mentioned in the ownership review, even mine is frequently serviced for the 5000 km interval and is still clocking miles like a wild horse!

Felt very good that people out there exist who love diesel & that too an old Innova, welcome to the club!

Drive safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 15:55   #21
BHPian

I acquired a 2010 Innova G Champagne Gold color done 95k kms with proper service history in Jan 2024.
It came with aftermarket alloys and was ceramic coated even after 14 years.

Converted it to type 3 from type 2 (my personal fav), added an android player with front and back recording, pioneer components on front doors, JBL coaxials on the rear with all four door damping and new seat covers. Did a complete change of filters and fluids from Toyota SVC just for peace of mind.

The engine start up is something you get addicted to.
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a Used Toyota Innova with 232,000 km | Withstanding the test of time-whatsapp-image-20240103-1.56.24-pm.jpeg  

Bought a Used Toyota Innova with 232,000 km | Withstanding the test of time-whatsapp-image-20240103-1.56.24-pm-1.jpeg  

Bought a Used Toyota Innova with 232,000 km | Withstanding the test of time-whatsapp-image-20240103-1.56.24-pm-2.jpeg  

Bought a Used Toyota Innova with 232,000 km | Withstanding the test of time-whatsapp-image-20240621-3.36.54-pm.jpeg  

Bought a Used Toyota Innova with 232,000 km | Withstanding the test of time-whatsapp-image-20240621-3.36.55-pm.jpeg  

Bought a Used Toyota Innova with 232,000 km | Withstanding the test of time-whatsapp-image-20240621-3.42.12-pm.jpeg  

raj4466 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks