Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2023, 23:14   #1
BHPian

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km

Hello BHPians!

Before starting the ownership review, let me throw some light on what made me fall in love with cars! It all started when Dad had purchased a brand new Maruti Omni back in 1996 when he was doing well in his business. I, being a kiddo, was not aware of how a car functions, what components are responsible for these beautiful machines to carry us from point A to point B. But, I was happy in my comfort zone of getting inside the car any random time of day when it was parked at my house: moving the gear lever, trying to honk and turning the steering wheel left-right! It was when I turned 10, Dad first asked me "son, please wash the car neat and tide from the outside". Since I loved playing with water, I took this task that day. I washed the car's reachable areas while Dad washed the top and windows. I mostly helped him in watering the car after being shampooed. Good ol' days! Someone said, "if you want to start loving a car, then first clean and wash the car!". This is true.

Since then, he has changed the cars from Omni, to Maruti Suzuki Swift to Maruti Ritz and then finally the Innova's arrival in May 2011. I being a diesel head, love to drive any ICE car, but Innova has a separate place within me! So, here goes the ownership review:

When in seventh grade, I received the news that Dad booked a Toyota Innova (diesel), which was scheduled to be delivered in a few weeks. Back then, I didn't have much technical knowledge about cars, but was aware that the Toyota Qualis was the predecessor of the Innova and that Toyota intended to replace the Qualis with the Innova in the Indian market, which eventually happened in 2005. All these conversations were happening when Dad interacted with his friends who are not much into cars. However, shortly after booking in March 2011, Japan was struck by an earthquake and a devastating Tsunami, resulting in a delay in the delivery of the vehicle. If my memory serves me right, at that time, Innova was imported as CKD and then assembled in India (please correct me if I'm mistaken). I don't recall the exact details of the booking experience as I was not involved, but I do remember being present on the day the car was delivered.

• Comfort: It is difficult to find someone who say that the Innova is not comfortable for long or even short drives. The captain seats provide exceptional comfort even today.
  • Purpose: One aspect that has always impressed me is its versatility. It has been a popular choice among cabbies, politicians, and actors, highlighting its appeal as a reliable and trustworthy vehicle. Additionally, the Innova serves as an ideal family car, serving the needs of middle class.
  • Quality: In contrast to the current generation of Innova (Crysta), the older Innova had a more traditional and straightforward design. Despite this, the quality of the parts that were manufactured in Indonesia has remained excellent till date, with the exception of typical wear and tear components.
  • D4-D 2498 cc Diesel Engine: Sweet spot for me is when the engine roar is between 2500 - 3000 RPM, mainly while overtaking and cruising, is something I greatly appreciate. However, considering the current regulations surrounding diesel cars, I have concerns that enthusiasts who prefer diesel over petrol/hybrid may not be as satisfied in the future.
Dislikes:
  • Blind Spot: From the driver's point of view, the 'A' pillar obstructs the view during sharp right turns, creating a blind spot. Need an eagle's eye when tackling curves at ghat sections.
  • ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) was not a standard feature at that time, specifically in this variant. However, unless you possess advanced skills in manoeuvring the vehicle during panic or sudden braking situations, this should not pose a significant issue.
  • Front bumper vulnerability: The front bumper has a tendency to dislodge even with minor impacts involving medium to large rocks, wall scrapes, bushes, or side impacts. Once the bumper detaches, it becomes quite challenging to fix it unless the car is taken to an authorized service centre (ASC) for showroom-fit. A lot of Innova cabs can be seen with the bumper being held either using cable ties or after-market brackets. While, a few cabbies and private owners have maintained Innova brand new in terms of appearance.
D-Day:
Due to the absence of authorized dealers in Kasaragod back then, Dad opted Amana Toyota in Kannur as our dealer. Although it was approximately 110 km away from our home, the Innova embarked on its first long drive from there to our residence. While United Toyota in Mangaluru was closer to us, I believed that the cost in Karnataka was slightly higher than in Kerala and Dad wanted a 'KL' registered vehicle without much hassle of transfer etc. On D-Day morning, Dad and I took a local train from Kasaragod to Kannur. Upon arrival at the showroom, we were offered customer lounge to relax and were served tea and snacks, while Dad attended to some final paperwork. The showroom and the overall experience had a premium feel to it, which was quite impressive. During my time there, I was rapidly moving between the display vehicles that included the Corolla Altis, Fortuner, and the top-variant Innova.

Just before the delivery, it started raining cats and dogs. While the car was being washed and accessories were being installed, the sales advisor reminded us about the details of service intervals and other relevant information. After a few minutes of waiting, a Toyota staff brought the car, and that was the first time I laid eyes on the stunning Light Metallic Blue variant. The excitement was palpable for me, but sadly had no driving license, hehe! Finally, after the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection), the vehicle was delivered to us. We took a picture to commemorate the occasion, bid goodbye to everyone present there, and embarked on our journey back home. After approximately two hours, we reached, where the sight of the new addition brought joy to everyone in my home!

On-road price & discounts:
I do not have precise details about the breakdown of the on-road price, but I was aware that it costed approximately 12 lakhs on-road. Along with the down-payment amount after selling the Maruti Suzuki Ritz, to reduce any financial burdens, Dad had decided to finance the car for a period of four years.

Engine Type and Variants offered:
The diesel variants of the Innova were highly sought-after and selling like hot cakes, as the dealer informed us about the numerous diesel Innova bookings they had received. However, the delivery of many vehicles, including ours, was significantly delayed due to the disruption in the supply chain and logistics caused by the Tsunami in Japan during that time. The Innova offered, and the current Innova Crysta continues to offer, a wide range of variants to choose from.

When it comes to engine, the petrol variant featured a 2.0 L engine with only manual transmission as option. On the other hand, the diesel variant was equipped with the 2.5 Litre Direct Injection and 4 Cylinder Common Rail Engine (D-4D). This diesel engine has proven to be durable and capable of witnessing high mileage with minimal periodic maintenance or service visits. Automatic transmission was not available, but the manual transmission option, which was and still offered, remains the preferred choice for diesel enthusiasts like me.

Safety:
In terms of electronics, our variant did not come with a lot of safety features. It lacked ABS, Brake Assist, Airbags and Traction Control. However, Toyota did offer some basic features such as Central Locking, Power Door Locks, Door Ajar Warning, and Engine Immobilizer. In comparison to modern cars that are packed with hell lot of features, the Innova of that time feels relatively stripped down and barebones. Nowadays, non-enthusiast drivers and owners often forget to utilize the plethora of features available in present-day cars. Nonetheless, Toyota did include two reverse parking sensors in the centre of rear bumper, which was quite useful during the initial years of ownership.

Accessories:
In the year 2011, CDs and USB sticks were the prevailing methods of audio entertainment, while Bluetooth connectivity was not as popular as it is today. This variant did not come with a stereo set, rear spoilers, synthetic leather seats, or mud flaps. Consequently, soon after bringing the car home, we took it to a well-known car accessories shop located near to our home and installed the following accessories (not sure what was the price):
  • A Sony X-Plod Stereo system that offered CD, USB, and Aux options, but lacked Bluetooth connectivity. Surprisingly, even to this day, this stereo continues to entertain the passengers on long/short trips.
  • Rear spoilers that matched the body colour, providing an added cosmetic look. Without rear spoiler, Innova looks like a bald man.
  • A floor carpet that matched with the car's other interiors.
  • Synthetic leather seat covers, contributing to a more luxurious and comfortable driving experience.
  • A steering cover that enhanced the grip.
Number of km clocked at the time of writing this review:
At the time of writing this review, the car has clocked 219XXX km.

Usage pattern:
The purpose of buying Innova was to support Dad's business travel needs to nearby cities like Mangaluru, Puttur, Kannur, Kozhikode and sometimes long drives to Bengaluru/Coimbatore/Pune/Mumbai for various reasons including family functions, business and get together. In addition, since I used to stay in a residential school 40 km away from home, Innova was the one which used to safely ferry parents to meet me, take me to home for vacations and drop back when school reopens. So, from 2011 till 2014 hostel-home trips were also regular.

Initially, the utilization of the car went well without any issues, aligning with its multiple purpose. However, leaving a diesel car unused for extended periods is not good to the rubber components (tires, belts, bushes, etc.). Additionally, rats tend to find enlightenment in the engine bay, making it their new home with their own modifications to the components. Unfortunately, the unplanned arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 resulted in limited use of the vehicle, although I used to start it regularly till engine reaches operating temperature. It was during this time that expenses began to accumulate, with rats being the primary cause of concern. Fuelled by frustration, my sole focus during the lockdown was to set rat traps and eliminate them safely. Subsequently, following the post-COVID period, usage declined slightly due to various reasons: I was not having a job as I just graduated in 2020, Dad's business travel needs reduced and the fuel prices also were a little high which took some time for us to accept the reality.

Between 2011 and 2018, Dad utilized the Innova well until someone suggested the popularity of the Tata Tiago for city driving and short hops. Consequently, he decided to book a petrol variant of the Tata Tiago, a decision of his that I was not happy about. By 2017, I had got my DL and had begun taking frequent short drives on the Innova to nearby places on behalf of Dad's business. Being impressed with the performance, I recognized that, apart from safety features, the Tiago did not offer the same value for money (I know I am comparing two different segments). However, within three years, the Tiago was sold for reasons Dad never disclosed to me and even I too was waiting for it to be sold, finally! In 2021, he booked a Honda WR-V SV diesel variant. As a result, the Innova went through limited usage except for when I return home during my Bachelor's holidays and take it for a drive or our driver takes it for a trip with his family or Dad's friend takes it for airport pickup/drops.

Styling and Design:
In my opinion, the design of the Innova is simple, and appealing, especially considering the era it was launched. Even to this day, when I come across a well-maintained Innova, it brings a sense of joy within me. However, I believe that Toyota could have improved the design of the front bumper, as it tends to detach easily on small impacts. This part of the Innova I disliked the most, and it is evident with other Innovas on the roads as well.

Overall Build Quality, Fit & Finish:
As a significant portion of the Innova's parts were manufactured in Indonesia, there is no compromise when it comes to quality, fit, and finish. The car exemplifies the typical Japanese engineering standards. The tailgate has a substantial feel to it, showcasing a robust build, while the front bonnet is also sturdy enough to withstand impacts. Personally, one of the most satisfying aspects of the Innova is the door thud. The sound engineer deserves kudos for bringing such an engineering into existence!

Wheels & Tires:
Innova is equipped with 4 full-size tires with steel rims, including the spare tire which is also of the same size: 205/65 R15. However, it is worth noting that the 2.5 'V' variant came with attractive alloy wheels, featuring a sleek and elegantly simple design from the OEM.

[b]Steering Wheel and the Cockpit Feel:
The Innova features a simple three-spoke steering wheel without any mounted controls. It has a light feedback, and when driving over potholes, there are no noticeable impacts transferred through the steering wheel. The dashboard quality is also good, and even after 12 years, it has retained the glow as if it is brand new. The air conditioning controls are of the old-school type, with turning knobs for adjusting temperature, manual blower levels, and sliders for air circulation.

Space and Comfort for Driver and Passengers:
The first two rows of the Innova are equipped with captain seats, leaving no room for regrets or discomfort. The recline angle of the seats adds an added benefit for enhanced comfort, and provide proper neck support. None of my relatives or myself, who have travelled long distances in the car, have had any complaints about the seats or ride comfort being compromised. However, after a few years of use, the captain seats have developed some noise, possibly originating from the seat track. A simple lubrication of the tracks will fix this.

Visibility & size of mirrors:
The side view mirrors offer excellent visibility of the surroundings on both sides of the vehicle, providing a clear view of what is happening behind. However, it is important to note that there is a significant blind spot created by the A pillars. This blind spot can affect the driver's view of right and the co-passenger's view of left. It is crucial to exercise caution and use additional precautions when navigating through sharp curves. As for the rear view mirror is concerned, it does not come with an auto-dimming feature, but can be manually adjusted to ensure optimal visibility.

Drivability in the city:
During the initial years, it was primarily driven by Dad on city and highways. However, once I got my DL, I started taking the Innova out on the roads of hometown, Mangaluru and Bengaluru. I have never encountered any issues while driving: be it parking, manoeuvring, or overall handling. The Innova handles every aspect of the road, including potholes and speed breakers, with ease and grace. However, Dad now prefers the WR-V for his personal use, unless there are 5+ passengers or a need to carry a significant amount of luggage.

Drivability in the highway:
Whether it was Dad, uncle, myself, or our driver, everyone who has driven expressed their love towards the vehicle's engineering. Dad has made multiple business trips to Coimbatore and back, without any complaints. However, adult passengers seated in the third row have experienced discomfort and even vomiting on some occasions. One contributing factor to this is the driving style. I personally went on a round trip from Kasaragod to Bengaluru, then to Coimbatore, Kozhikode and back to hometown just after the first COVID-19 lockdown restrictions were lifted. This trip was done to vacate my PG at Bengaluru and hostel at Coimbatore. In total, the round trip covered around 1300 km in 75 hours. Surprisingly, I did not experience any signs of tiredness or the need for frequent breaks during the journey. The growl of the D-4D engine when "stick-shifting" from 1st to 2nd gear is truly music to the ears, and it remains a sound that I continue to admire even today.

Fuel Efficiency:
Whenever I embark on long journeys, I am always curious to see the fuel economy (full tank to full tank), considering the age of the vehicle. To my surprise, it delivers an average highway mileage of 13.0 kmpl and a city mileage of 10 kmpl. It can be improved by 0.5 kmpl or so if I go smooth on the accelerator. These figures are more than acceptable to me considering a 2.5 L diesel engine of the BS3 era, especially considering the minimal maintenance expenses we have incurred over the years. After all, it is a Japanese R&D that I can trust and rely on.

Handling and Braking:
The Innova provides good handling and comfort for occupants in the first two rows, particularly on highways and straight roads. However, when encountering hairpin bends, sharp turns, or ghat sections, some occupants in the second and third rows may experience discomfort, although this may not be the case for everyone. Additionally, it is worth noting that the driving style can also have an impact on the overall comfort of passengers.

After six years of driving the Innova extensively, I recently encountered a situation where I had to make a "very hard" panic brake. This occurred a few months ago on 80 ft Road, Indiranagar, near the Chinmaya Hospital signal. The traffic light was green for me, and was driving at a normal speed at night, heading towards Old Madras Road. Suddenly, a food delivery person on his motorcycle, disregarding the red signal, made a sudden right turn towards Indiranagar Metro, cutting across my path. I noticed this from a short distance and immediately applied the brakes, resulting in rear tire screech, effectively slowing down and preventing a collision with the unaware rider. This is when I realized the absence of the ABS, which is a significant safety feature that was omitted in this variant. I also felt like wanting to install a dashcam, for my safety at least.

Ground Clearance:
In general, I don't worry about the ground clearance when driving the Innova, unless the vehicle is fully loaded or has to take an unusually large speed breakers or small-to-medium-sized potholes. In most cases, the ground clearance is more than sufficient to handle regular road conditions. However, there have been instances when the rear axle hit a few particularly high speed breakers when fully loaded, while on airport run. Nonetheless, these occurrences were relatively rare and did not significantly impact the experience.

After Sales Service:
Toyota and their after sales service: from date of delivery till date, no complaints except for the price difference of parts. Few years back, the Amana Toyota showroom plus service centre was opened at Periya, Kasaragod. This has made the periodic service very convenience.

But I had few bad experience with United Toyota, Mangaluru few years back when they could not identify a simple issue with the poor air-conditioning. They had charged a hefty amount for opening the dashboard, refilling the gas and then when the vehicle was about to get delivered the SA said me "please get the vehicle if you feel the same issue persist". This made me feel how a Toyota ASC can staff say this to a customer, and they are known for their expertise. From then, I think twice before visiting any ASC in Karnataka, especially when in Mangaluru / Bengaluru.

When Dad was on his way to Mumbai once, he had faced some issue with the braking which was checked at DSK Toyota, Pune. They were quick in identifying the issue, issued a job card and fixed the same day so Dad can continue his journey.

Current Situation:
Now, looking at the automobile industry progressing slowly towards EVs, Hybrid and CNG, I fear and at the same time feel sad for good old diesel cars like the Fortuner, Endeavour, Figo, Honda City and old Verna including the Innova and Innova Crysta. To add fuel to the fire, the government's latest news of banning diesel vehicles by 2027 scares me even more. So, until then I can enjoy driving Innova but post June 2026, need to plan how to get it re-registered for another 5 years, maybe!

Below are few images which I could click today, and let the pictures speak the rest:
My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-1-0.jpg

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-1-2.jpg

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-1-3.jpg
sasta_rider is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 00:03   #2
BHPian

Long Term Ownership Review of 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5

In the year Jan-2022, I got my first job and was eagerly waiting to take Innova to Bengaluru where I work. But, being a fresher, taking Innova with me was not feasible. So, I had a difficult task of convincing Dad to let me buy a bike, review already posted in the forum (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ip-report.html (Yamaha R15 v4 Review | Booking, Delivery & Ownership Report), and finally he agreed. Bought a brand new R15 v4 in Mar-2022. Everything was going well for an year and I started craving for two wheeler more than four wheeler.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-img_4657.jpg
This image was taken back in Jan-2019 at Muzhappilangad Beach, Kannur (Longest drive-in beach of Asia) when on a cousins trip
More about the consequences of this trip later

In the month of Mar-2023, I got severe Pilonidal Sinus 'twice' in a span of last 4 months and got operated for the same. This is when my doctor advised me not to travel long distances on bikes without breaks for few months. In parallel, Dad was also planning to sell Innova if he gets a good deal. This is when I took a decision and made the courage to confront him:
As the diesel norms for vehicles is getting strict, it will be not at all possible for me to enjoy a diesel car in the near future. And looking at the ban on diesel vehicles by 2027, made me sad and even more scared. I approached Dad, said him that I will be keeping the Innova with me along with bike at Bengaluru. While Innova will be used for long distance, R15 will be used within city limits as required. After a lot of to-fro discussions, he agreed.

But, the car was not in a state which I always wanted it to be: rust had already got into many areas including the underbody, engine bay, A-pillars and drum brake covers due to the above mentioned cousins trip.

Innova had the following issues to be fixed, so that, atleast my OCD settles down:
  • Check for brake pads and brake shoes wear.
  • Get a new set of windshield wipers (got a set of Bosch Wipers from Boodmo)
  • The AC slider switch was not working, all thanks to the rat infestation.
  • There was water leak from both the A-pillars (more in detail as we proceed with the ownership)
  • Squeaking sound when the brakes are applied on slow speeds or moved from stationary.
  • Get the entire exterior painted or at least dents removed: either from Toyota or experienced nearby FNG
  • Few years back, the rear LH taillamp was hit by a reckless two-wheeler which was not changed. I purchased one from Amazon (Uno Minda) for ₹1500/-. Fixed it today by myself at home.

As the 2,20,000 km service approached near, I decided to give the vehicle for service at Amana Toyota, Periya after discussing with Dad. I had reported them about this peculiar water leak from the interior A pillars.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-before.jpg
This is how the leak looked like from driver seat, taken at Bangalore traffic few months back after my first surgery

On 19-Aug-2023 (Saturday), I took the vehicle to the service center, briefed to one of the good service advisors they had, and got an estimate for the periodic maintenance and the water leakage issue which came under the body shop department. In addition, I had said about few issues to be fixed so that I need not take the car again to the service center in Bengaluru. The estimate came around ₹8000/- for PM. Regarding the body shop work for the water leak, the SA said that it is difficult to remove the windshield without it breaking. And if it breaks, the cost of another windshield (₹10000/-) will be added to the bill. I somehow requested them to remove it without breaking and they were successfull, a big relief after saving ₹10000/-.

On 21-Aug-2023 (Monday), I got to see the images of the rust that was accumulated as sent by the SA, shown below:

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-rh-pillar-roof.jpg

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-rh-pillar.jpg

And on 25-Aug-2023, I got a call saying that the periodic maintenance and the water leak issue has been fixed and I can come to pick the vehicle on the next day after verifying the work! I was excited. Meantime when the car was at the service center, I had ordered a DDPAI Mola N3 dashcam which I carried with me when on the way to pick the vehicle.

The overall cost of the service and the body shop work is as follows:
My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-service-invoice-combined.png

Paid the above amount and appreciated their team for the good work and straight away headed to a car accessory shop to get the dashcam fit.

One thing I learnt from the cousins trip: never take your beloved car/bike to drive-in beaches. Rust is the worst enemy of any vehicle owner. It had costed Dad a lot when we had sent Innova for periodic maintenance after this trip, which I regret even today.

Few wishlist items I have made for bringing back Innova to a brand new state which includes a full body exterior paint, new set of seat covers, floor mats and much more. Will post it in the thread as the wishlist items are ticked one by one.

Looking for any kind of expert feedbacks/suggestions on how to maintain the Innova well so that it can last!

Drive safe!
Sud.

Last edited by sasta_rider : 28th August 2023 at 00:18. Reason: Grammer errors and addition of few llines
sasta_rider is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 06:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 08:48   #4
BHPian

Re: My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km

A very well written review!

Even we too had the same gen Innova, but ours was VX and in grey colour and it was also a 2011 version. We bought it used in 2016 when the odo was at 75k Kms and sold it in 2022 after doing 120k Kms (odo was 196k Kms when we sold it off) but its replacement was bought a month ago.

Good to see that you are retaining the Innova till its death and giving a new lease of life by getting the whole car restored.
car_guy1998 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 10:44   #5
RRM
BHPian

Love to see Innova thread always! Nice write up and can relate to the points mentioned

I had 2005 BS3 2.5V, 99k kms third owner Innova and ran until 2.65L kms. Then the discussion of pollution etc started and I was worried what if some blind rule may come and will have to dispose it off. Hence sold the same (half hearted) and brought home Innova 2012 BS4 2.5V 55k kms and it’s still running strong at approx 1.25L kms with zero issues.

From launch, if I am not wrong, Innova used to have safety features of 2 airbags in all variants and ABS in top end V model only

I have serviced it at 3 places - Nandi Toyota Hosur Road, Bangalore, Amana Toyota Palakkad and Annamalais Toyota at Salem for a minor clutch issue (enroute Kerala) and must say in either places the service was of top notch. I was not too happy with Nippon Toyota in Pathanamthitta (Kerala) as the diagnosis for a small issue was way off track, need couple of days etc., which was fixed at Amana Toyota, Palakkad in few hrs!

I have never given it outside of ASS, even for small work. I am ok to spend a little extra for the peace of mind and the accountability.

Innova has a short service interval of 5k but it’s ok. Regular service is the key. Take care of it like a baby and it will serve you for life.

Happy Travelling!

Last edited by RRM : 28th August 2023 at 11:02.
RRM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 11:40   #6
RGK
Senior - BHPian

A detailed thread, for sure supportive for me at this point. I've seen a few used Innovas and plan to buy one.

I saw a good car, 2012 Model GX with 1.6 L km. The vehicle and the motor are great. My uncertainty is about the clutch and wheel bearings (underparts). What about their life span and replacement interval?.
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 15:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
A detailed thread, for sure supportive for me at this point. I've seen a few used Innovas and plan to buy one.

I saw a good car, 2012 Model GX with 1.6 L km. The vehicle and the motor are great. My uncertainty is about the clutch and wheel bearings (underparts). What about their life span and replacement interval?.
Thank you for the appreciation!

The clutch and the wheel bearings are all wear and tear parts: replacement will depend on your usage, how many of them take your car out and their driving style and whether you get your vehicle serviced at an ASC or any random FNG.

My Innova's clutch cover assembly, clutch bearing assembly and clutch disc assembly was changed at 145147 km from ASC itself back in Feb-2018. Since then, till date, there was no issues with clutch whatsoever. The car was driven by Dad, Uncle, our driver and few friends of Dad.

Last year, I had a bad experience when I was returning back from Mangaluru one fine sunny afternoon. All the four tires including the spare one was the Bridgestone B390 which I admired since D-Day. That day, I felt something was dragging me towards the left even when I had held the steering wheel hard. My speed was below 40 kmph luckily. Realised something is not right. To clear my confusion, I parked the vehicle on a flat surface and inspected all the four wheels to see this:

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-img_5264.jpg

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-img_5265.jpg

I never experienced such incidents before, but had no option than to replace with the spare wheel. To my bad luck, the spare wheel too was not inflated to the standard recommended pressure. I immediately called one of my friends who owns a Wheel Alignment shop and was on his way to Mangaluru. He managed to get an upsized aftermarket wheel of an Innova which was lying in his shop. Got it fixed and continued my journey to home.

After this incident, Dad decided to replace Bridgestone tires with Yokohama Earth 1. I did not have much satisfaction with Yokohama but it does the job well when inflated with nitrogen than air. No complains now though.

Few months after this, I was on my way to drop uncle to the railway station when he asked me to listen to a humming noise coming from the rear right wheel. I replied that it might be due to the new Yokohama tires, my lack of knowledge. But I was proven wrong when I went on a test drive with the Toyota mechanic during the recent periodic service: the rear wheel bearing set was gone which was replaced. Now the humming noise from the rear wheel is gone.

Currently, everything except few dents and scratches are fixed and ready to clock kms.
sasta_rider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 15:26   #8
BANNED

Hello,
Its a good writeup and there were very few threads for Innova Long term ownership. Kindly keep it live for the some more years.
Old Innova are still have less maintenance costs. Normal service and maintenance cost is very low even now. Last service i got the Injector cleaner liquid from the Authorized service center itself which costed 1500 i believe.
For me, Average its around 6000 per 10000 kms.
dmaheshkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 13:29   #9
BHPian

Innova finally taken to Bengaluru and will be under my hands from now:
This is not the first time I am driving to Bengaluru which is 375 km away from my hometown, Kasaragod. I have done 'n' number of such long distance travel: alone, with passengers, with luggage, etc. But, this journey was something special for me.
As mentioned in previous post, I had got the 'A' pillar water leakage fixed, wear and tear components replaced as required, dash-cam & a new set of Bosch Wipers (front) installed.
On 04-Sep-2023 14:30 IST, I loaded my luggage at the rear & started my journey to Bengaluru. Around 50 kg luggage plus myself were the travel partners on this journey. The 'Trip A' had already done 225 km which included the journey to my Granny's place at Puthur and city commute. Fuel being expensive here at Kerala by around ₹8/-, I decided to get the tank fully filled anywhere in Karnataka as there was 55% fuel already.
Throughout the journey till Metagalli, Mysore I maintained an average speed of around 80-90 kmph with AC being switched on/off in between. In addition, the ghats of Coorg were also tackled nicely. All thanks to the wheel balancing and alignment done just a day before this journey.
A full tank fuel stop was given at Bharat Petroleum, Metagalli (around 18:30 hrs IST) and upon calculating, the 'full tank to full tank' fuel economy came to: 450.2 km / 43.44 L = 10.36 kmpL.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-snapseed.jpeg
Pardon for the poor overlay edit but this is for reference!

No regrets with this figure, as I no more drive for a good fuel efficiency. If I do, I can easily get around 13 kmpL even though the vehicle is aged 10+ years. All thanks to the Japanese engineering! Post this fuel stop, it was fun driving on the expressway. A lot of violators (trucks/pickups) coming on wrong way, lane changing without indicators, reckless lane changing and so on. Finally, reached Indiranagar at around 21:30 hes IST, had a good solo dinner at Punjabi Rasoi and headed to my place for the day!

Another run to Salem for my friend's wedding is planned for next week. Planning to share a detailed post covering various aspects of Innova with some treat for the eyes of readers!

Drive Safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 22:55   #10
BHPian

Hello BHPians!

As mentioned in the previous post, this post will be about the Bengaluru to Salem drive for a friend's wedding: a 2-day trip. Here goes the detailed experience about this journey:

Trip Start Date: 16-Sep-2023 06:30 AM IST
Trip End Date: 17-Sep-2023 11:45 PM IST

Onward Journey - Day 1:
Passengers: 2 (including me)
Luggage Weight: 20 kg

I left my place early morning and first stop was near Hosur Road Audi Showroom to pick a friend who will be my companion for this onward journey. After picking him, we took the Attibele-Krishnagiri route towards Salem. The tank was filled with diesel upto auto cut-off the previous night, tire pressure was checked 2 weeks before this drive and I could not make time to check the tire pressure while in the city. Yokohama tires inflated with nitrogen: 33 PSI in the front tires and 34 PSI in the rear, is the combination which I prefer currently. Bridgestone tires with the same tire pressure is what I used to love before!

We gave 2 stops in between: one for breakfast at Adyar Anand Bhavan but could not eat as the queue was too long. Skipped this place and went for another restaurant after Krishnagiri. Had a good Tamil Nadu style breakfast and left for Salem without any more stops. We were not in a hurry to reach the destination as the Day 1 was reception. After reaching the busy Salem city, we routed towards the reception location from where another friend joined us who had arrived from Chennai. We three plus another friend who had taken the responsbility of hotel rooms, took us to our hotel. Throughout the journey, the average speed maintained was 100 kmph, at times I revved the engine to reach 120 kmph only to hear the growl of 2.5 L D-4D diesel engine!

After multiple hotel-wedding location visits, the day came to an end with a tasty Tamil Nadu style vegetarian dinner. And yes, Salem city has some beautiful flyovers across the city. Interesting thing is that there is a flyover above a flyover! My friend and myself never faced any fatigue across this ~230 km one-way drive. We enjoyed some good Hindi and Tamil melodies too.

Return Journey - Day 2:
Passengers: 4 (including me)
Luggage Weight: 60 kg

Wedding 'muhurtam' was early morning, since we did not have any role in the wedding apart from watching the rituals, we made some plans to Yercaud and then head to Bengaluru so as to reach before late-night. Group photo with the bride-groom was done, my friend (groom) insisted to leave only after the lunch, which again was delicious vegetarian meal. Post lunch, four of us left Salem towards Yercaud which is ~35 km from the wedding location.

On the way, in the ghats, we stopped safely near a view point to get the beautiful view of the mountains. Meanwhile, I was successful enough to click a pic of Innova resting before its long journey that was lying ahead!

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-view-point.jpg
A monkey can be seen coming closer to have a quick look of the car!

We continued to the hills after clicking few photos. It was so good to tackle curves and hairpins: no fatigue faced by fellow passengers and myself. Reached the hill-top at around 03:45 PM. Upon 'Googling', we decided to head directly to Manjakuttai View Point. Enroute, clicked this beautiful picture between the greens:

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-between-woods.jpg
It was wrong of me parking on the road, but I could not resist. When I saw more vehicle movement, we decided to leave the place.

Since it was evening, we decided to have some tea before going down the hills at this restaurant 'The Kingswood - Plantation Cafe'. A good place for family, couples and friends. However, network connectivity was poor.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-tea-break.jpg
Parked next to an Etios: another mile crunching car from Toyota!

After this view point, we had to leave the hills quickly as one among us was supposed to alight at Dharmapuri to catch a bus to Ooty. We took a route which the Google maps suggested as none of them were familiar with the area: bad downward ghat roads, few locals who were a little rude to us and surprisingly local kids who were playing on the road, stopped us asking donation for the upcoming festival. When we denied and left, one of them was angry: he almost took a stone to throw. I immediately hit the accelarator and connected to the highway from there in few minutes. Below are some pictures which I could take while coming down the hills: just beautiful!

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-view-point-1.jpg

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-view-point-2.jpg

Once we reached Dharmapuri City and were heading towards the Bus Stand, there was a Tamil Nadu State Bus ahead of me. I usually keep a good distance between vehicles ahead of me to avoid any incidents. All of a sudden, we could hear a blast with some dust ahead. A glimpse of the same in the below video:

This was a gentle reminder for me to keep maintaining good distance between the vehicle ahead. We had a good burst of laughter after this tire burst. One friend alighted here while the rest 3 of us continued journey towards Bengaluru without any breaks in between. It was raining heavily and one of us had to catch bus to Chennai. We reached Electronic City at around 08:45 PM, had dinner from a nearby Kerala Restaurant and then I bid them goodbye and left to my location, reached there at around 11:45 PM.

Mileage?

I had re-fuelled upto auto cut-off at the Bharat Petroleum outlet near to D-Mart, Electronic City Phase 1.

Total Trip: 491.4 km
Diesel Price (per liter): ₹87.91/-
Fuel Filled: 43.23 L
Mileage: 11.36 kmpL

I find this figure decent for a BS-III diesel car with 2500 cc engine even after 12 years of flawless maintenance. I do not drive for mileage anymore at this point of time and at times, would like to hear the engine growl to life at high RPMs. However, a decent mileage of 13 kmpL can be obtained provided no high revving, no sudden braking or acceleration and proper roads. If I can recall, my Dad used to get a mileage of 13.5-14 kmpL in the early few years of onwership. The maximum mileage ever I got was back in 2020: 12.98 kmpL.

Thats all about this short trip, planning to bring much more ownership experience in this thread.

Drive Safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 21:41   #11
BHPian

Hello BHPians!

In this post, I will cover about following aspects of Innova in addition to the ownership experience already posted before:
  • City Usage
  • Long Drive Usage
  • Do It Yourself (DIY)
  • Interiors
  • Number Plate Change

City Usage:
As mentioned earlier, I have been using Innova at Bengaluru for office commute, meet-up with friends and get to relative's place on weekends from Sep-2023. Before this, I had taken Innova to Bengaluru for temporary work twice: once back in Mar-2022 and then again in Jun-2023. Both the times, it was good overall.

Usage:
The distance between my location and my office's location is 6.3 km via HAL Old Airport Road. Then there is alternate roads connecting Indiranagar 100 ft. and 80 ft. road but I usually avoid this route because I will have to wait in a long queue for a U-Turn near Manipal Hospital, Old Airport Road. When I cold start the engine in the morning, I avoid sudden accelaration for initial 2 km. By mid-way of my journey, the engine temperature reaches the optimal temperature (exactly between 'C' and 'H' indicators). Evening, while coming back, I might either go to BTM layout to meet friends and have some good time with them or directly head back to my place. I have not felt any regret commuting in an Innova in a city where it is advised to prefer public transport (end-to-end connectivity is a challenge though). In addition, due to my health conditions currently, I try to avoid crowded public transport and even two wheeler for some time. Hence, Innova has come handy to my help!

Comfort has never been an issue for me: be it city slow moving traffic or quick empty road commute, Innova handles like butter. No complaints whatsoever. With my personal opinion, even parking or maneuvering Innova in the city has never been a challenge for me unlike Dad / Uncle who prefer to stick onto their 2021 WR-V or 2012 Renault Pulse respectively for any city commute.

I always have this fear of fellow commuters when stuck in back-to-back traffic: Will a two-wheeler hit? Will any autodriver scrape? Will any truck / bus from behind lose their brake? All these are unavoidable, but I make sure to keep minimum distance ahead of me for safety!

Long Drive Usage:
Whenever I get WFH (which is not pre-planned by my company), I make sudden plans and exit Bengaluru via Kengeri > Bengaluru-Mysuru Expressway > Madikeri (Coorg) > Sullia > Kasaragod. This is the nearest and less time consuming option for me. The total distance comes out to be 375 km from my location at Bengaluru if taken this route. However, there are other routes as well: Old Madras Road > Goraguntepalya > Nelamangala > Hassan > Shiradi Ghat > Nelyadi > Puthur > Kasaragod but since the condition of highway near Hassan is not acceptable since years, I never wished to opt for this route but planning to try some day.

Apart from this 'work-hometown-work' long drive, long drive trips with friends, colleagues or even cousins has happened before. In the past one month, I have done Bengaluru-Nandi Hills commute twice, only to enjoy the weekend drive as I was lazy to stay inside home. Enjoyed every bit of such short highway (long?) drives: maintain 2500-2600 RPM crusing at 90-100 kmph with the growl of D-4D diesel engine unless some reckless driver decides to cut me in between!

Yesterday (24-Oct-2023), I had this sudden plan to travel to Kasaragod due to WFH plans. Left Bengaluru at around 03:30 PM via Kengeri. It took 50 minutes for me from Indiranagar to Kengeri. From here, for the first time, I controlled my inner monster from revving the engine to all its glory only to check how much fuel economy this 2498 cc diesel engine can provide after 12 years and 222000 km. However, at times in between, I got this urge to hit the pedal and enjoy the cruise! When the Mysuru-Hunsur junction arrived, I realised that today will be a hectic day with traffic due to the Dussehra celebration that was in place.

I exit Mysuru and headed towards Madikeri, not knowing about the situation there. Everything was going good: sun already had set and it had become dark already by the time I exit Mysuru. All thanks to the recent upgrade to the headlight wiring kit which was done at a nearby FNG mechanic who used to work in Toyota, Kasaragod. Before reaching Madikeri City Junction, I could witness some queue of vehicles which I assumed to be due to accident. But I was wrong: my poor brain realised late that it was Dussehra. Upon checking with a nearby police constable, he said that it will not be possible to proceed ahead towards Sullia, due to the procession and celebration. I was advised to take the same route back towards Mysuru till Suntikoppa, from where I should connect to Chettalli and this route will drop me outside Madikeri City without touching the main city center. Upon reaching Sullia at around 11:45 PM, I filled my tank up-to auto cut-off from a Nayara Fuels. I have this mental affinity towards their fuel due to the reason that I get 'better' fuel economy compared to other outlet diesel fuel! I have started to include the fuel logs into the 'Fuelio' app, and to my surprise, I got a 'good' fuel economy of 11.50 kmpl which is quite decent for this aged and old Innova!

So, highway drives are always welcomed by myself: be it planned or sudden get-aways!

Do It Yourself (DIY):
In Short: Painting the Drum Brake Covers

Last month I was at hometown, and was feeling bored one fine Sunday. At Kasaragod (any coastal region for that matter), the time it takes for rust and fungus to form is minimal. I had this guilty trip to Muzhappilangad (Drive-In) Beach, Kannur back in 2019 which I regret today. I was not aware that the biggest enemy of any metal, rust, can cause expensive damage(s)! Due to my 'enthusiastic' drive, drifts and water-splash moments, rust had started to appear inside the bonnet area, near to windshields, parts around engine which are mainly made of metal and obviously, the lower body of the vehicle after one week. Another mistake I did was, not wash the vehicle well after coming back to home. I should have done that, and the chances of excessive rust could have been avoided. Now, coming back to the DIY...

The wheel alignment was on due, so I removed rear right wheel using the stock stepney jack kit. I had two sets of automobile spray paints (one set white which will be my base coat, followed by one set jet black, which will be my final coat). I have a hand-held drilling machine as well. Now, one missing part was the metal brush, which was somehow arranged on a Sunday from nearby tools shop whom I know.

The metal brush was inserted inside the drilling machine where we usually keep the drill bit tightened, as shown below:

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-drill-machine.jpg
I had ensured the metal brush was secured tight, to avoid any damage to self.

Using this, I scraped all the rust that was accumulated. Let pictures do the speaking:

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-drum-brake-before-paint.png
Before Rust Removal

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-drum-brake-after-paint.png
After Rust Removal followed by two layers of spray paint (one base coat and one final coat)

The time between each coat was around 30 mins, and the covers were kept under the sun for drying. Once completely dried up, I put back the drum brake covering, followed by placing the wheels and securely tightening the wheel nuts.

First DIY on the Innova, which I was not confident enough would work, was a small success! It felt so good giving this care and looking forward to more such cost-cutting DIY which will not pose any harm for the vehicle / passengers as such.

Interiors

Below is the image from the cockpit - driver side POV:

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-cockpit.jpg

At the time this image was clicked, the ODO reading was somewhere close to reach the '222222' km. But could not capture this beautiful moment due to obvious reasons, hence the above image taken on Bengaluru-Mysuru Expressway when I was the only one on the empty roads!

When the vehicle was delivered back in 2011, the car was taken to a popular car accessories shop nearby. Following work was done which still does its job pretty well:
  • Sony Xplod Music Stereo. This was a pretty decent audio system available back the within our budget. Till date, I do not feel like shifting to a touchscreen infotainment system (which for me is distracting and I love certain things old school way).
  • Set of Pioneer Speakers just near the 'A' pillars and below the roof, for better audio quality.
  • Floor carpet (this was replaced with new one again in 2017 due to wear and tear).
  • Seat covers matching the 'Light Metallic Blue' color of the body frame.
  • Fog lamps and its enable/disable button from Toyota.
  • Steering cover, which is of pretty good quality and provides good grip & feel for single-handed drivers like me. The existing one seen in pic above was put in place on Mar-2019.

Currently, there are some cluttering noise coming from various sources:
  • Front and Middle Row Seat Tracks.
  • Power Window of Driver side has some issue when the windows are partially lowered at some points.
  • The double sided tape of the passenger side window rain guard has become lose, which rattles on high speeds that is distracting. A simple DIY should fix this.

Number Plate Change
The previous number plates were just the punched ones which were in place since years, had a lot of scratches which can attract 'challan' under any AI driven cameras being implemented across India. So, to avoid any unnnecessary contribution towards the Motor Vehicle Department, I approached a good car acessory shop near to 80 ft Road, Indiranagar to enquire about the HSRP number plates, which has been made mandatory in Karnataka for vehicles older than year 2019. However, he advised me that the discussion on HSRP is still in the pipeline and I need not worry at present, but instead can go for the standardised 'punched' number plates with 'IND' marking. He showed me some samples, I agreed for the one with blue stripe on the left and got the current plates replaced the next day for INR 800/-. I felt the price nominal too.

Finally, my short-term OCD was fulfilled, and Innova is getting its much required pampering and care that was missing when it was 'rotting' at home with less usage!

After the last periodic service in Aug-2023, the vehicle has clocked ~3500 km so far which included city only, highway only and both types of runs. Will keep you all updated in this thread on more such DIY, service updates and if any restoration work is done.

Drive Safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 00:38   #12
BHPian

Hello BHPians

This is about the recent incident on the scraping of underbody of my 2011 Innova:

There was a function to attend on 17-Dec and as usual, I am the official family driver whenever I am at Kasaragod. Good in one aspect: I do not like anyone else taking her for drive except Dad and Uncle. I have this basic belief: any vehicle with multiple drivers reduces the life of that vehicle and it's wear & tear components.

Stats:
Total passengers: 5 (2+2+1 in front, mid and last rows respectively).
Tire Pressure (Nitrogen): 33 (front), 34 (rear).
Fuel tank: Half tank diesel at the time of scraping.

Where?
While returning from the function, I had to drop one of my relative at their place, which requires some off-roading to be done to reach their home parking. It includes a steep right turn from highway towards their home, followed by uneven off-road surface which includes dried leaves to loose gravel with broken stones. Innova handled all these with ease in first gear during descent.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-side.jpg
Final Parked position

How to park in this compact area?

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-path.jpg
1. Descent into the parking area (arrow 1)
2. Reverse (in arrow 2's direction)
3. Climb slightly until you can reverse back into the parking area in one go (arrow 3)
4. Reverse and park safely (arrow 1)

Everything looks fine, right?

But, during the descent, I never thought that the underbody will scrape (or take a hit) due to Innova's ground clearance. But, during the slow speed descent, I could hear a small thud. At once, I thought the front bumper took the hit and now it will be widely open. Like I mentioned in the previous posts, Innova's bumper assembly is the biggest design flaw as per my experience. Front numper comes out quick on smallest of an impact! After safely parking, I inspected the bumpers and the underbody, and settled with a happiness on my face!

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-marks.jpg
The circled mark is where the underbody kissed the ground.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-underbody.jpg
The yellow highlighted areas (where you can see fresh mud) is what caused the thud sound

Since the impacted area is part of the strong chassis, I did not feel guilty. The impact was small, so I walked away happily.

When I asked my relative, she said that the red mark nearby region had a lot of mud in place but due to the recent rains, was washed away making the region compromising for approaching cars. So, I need to be careful next time. However, during the climb, it was not a problem at all.

Small Lesson?
In slow speeds, with partial/fully loaded Innova, always be careful when going through such off-roads. You never know how a road today will be tomorrow!

Drive safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 18:35   #13
BHPian

Innova Interiors:

In this ownership review, I hardly spoke about the interiors along with the pictures. Here, I will cover about the simple yet useful at times old-school interiors that make up the 2011 Innova.

Unlike the current generation cars, starting from Maruti Suzuki's Celerio to BMWs to Mercedes, the older cars were more of mechanical parts. This means, the chances of a failure is less when compared to the electric components these days (can be subjective). Why I am saying this?
  • Dad's 2021 Honda WR-V is majorly controlled by electronics: from air conditioning unit to the instrument cluster. If any of the component does not work or has a fault, entire unit might need to be replaced. So far, no such issue or even any mechanical issue has come. Thanks to Japanese engineering! But still, fingers crossed.
  • Cousin's 2021 Hyundai Venue iMT Gear Actuator Complaint at 25000 km: Recently, I was travelling with cousin on his Venue iMT (clutchless manual transmission). Midway during the journey, he was not able to shift the gear from 3rd to 4th. Unlike the cars with clutch and a manual transmission, the iMT's gear is a little more stiff to avoid accidental gearshift by fellow passenger (said as kids) or even the driver themself. Slowly we parked the car near the road with the existing momentum, and then switched the ignition off. When off, the gear was shifting, but when the engine was turned on, gear was not shifting. I saw the ODO reading to be 24950 km. I doubted either the issue might be with the gear actuator or the transmission fluid. Few YouTube videos suggested the same issue with the Kia Sonet and Hyundai Venue. Hopefully, cousin had the extended RSA and could get a tow truck in an hour or so. Will not speak much about this issue in this thread though.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-venuwimt.jpg
    Tow truck arrived to take Venue to the nearest Hyundai (Kasaragod) service center

Meanwhile, my Uncle's 2012 Etios Liva (Diesel) is completely mechanical. When I say 'completely mechanical', it is the air conditioning controls, blower, intake source, etc. Till date, the Etios Liva or even the Innova did not go through any breakdowns or component failure. This was the reason I fought with Dad not to sell the Innova, because it is not possible in the current time to get a vehicle as reliable as these old Innova/Liva/Fortuner. Even if Dad is ready to go for the current generation Innova Crysta, I will stop him for multiple reasons: BS6 engine with DPF as a headache, Crysta will not satisfy my mind the way 2011 Innova did and we never know the coming days how strict the norm can go for the diesel variants! Except for few differences like the Tire Profile, Features and Colors in the existing variants, nothing makes the Crysta more special to me. But, the old Innova has its charm: this model does not have airbags, no ABS, no traction control and simple to the core. Me, being a simplistic person, do not get satisfied with high-end technology when it comes to cars! This view is totally personal and is not meant to hurt anyone. I did take the test drive of the 2018 Innova Crysta, but did not meet my expectations, so I am in favor of the old Innova.

Below are few snaps of the interiors I could click today of the 2011 Innova, in ~13 years of ownership:

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-driversideinsideview.jpg
The seat cover (matching the light blue metallic paint scheme of the body) was installed the day after the delivery back in May-2011. The stock seat, as I recall, had the chances of getting dirty and spoiled very quick. Hence this extra seat cover. Apart from few marks and tear on this, it still feels fresh after a good wipe during wash.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-cockpitview.jpg
Driver's POV: Simple and elegant dashboard, with mechanical air condition controls on the middle with proper reach. Seat can be adjusted to height of the driver, as required. I prefer a little lower than the maximum limit as my height is around 173 cm.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-instrumentcluster.jpg
ODO reads 224264 km as of today. Many more miles to crunch with the D-4D diesel engine, a masterpiece engineering!

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-stearingreachandkey.jpg
The steering is adjustable for 'up and down' reach only.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-driversunvisor.jpg
The sun visor has the instructions written in 'Thai', reminding the driver that the vehicle was not 'manufactured' in India (assembly was done at Bidadi, Karnataka)!

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-mirror-settings.jpg
Consist of a security sign (when key is removed, gets enabled), headlight leveller and side rear view mirror adjustment. These minor electronics are still working without any flaw, except for the left side view mirror (thanks to a two wheeler who rammed from the wrong side)!

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-windowbuttons.jpg
Only driver side gets 'one-touch-down' feature, while rest of the buttons need to be continuously pressed to lower/raise the windows.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-sunglassholder.jpg
A compact sunglass holder. This area has been kept empty since long. Dad's Rayban was stolen during the second service and he realised it after a month. Currently, my sunglass is resting inside!

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-sonyxplod.jpg
Like the seat covers, the stereo was installed day after the delivery. Works well even today. Buttons can be seen faded. Planning to replace this with the 'Sony XAV-AX3200' touchscreen stereo with bluetooth connectivity soon.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-pillar-speaker.jpg
A-pillar 'Pioneer' speakers. Provides decent 'vocal' sound for melody music enthusiasts like me. But not the great ones. Planning to upgrade this as well in few months time.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-accontrols.jpg
AC Controls: old school knobs means no headache of any failure (compared to electronics/sensors). But yes, the air mode selector's cable was bit by a rodent, an external cause of damage. The same was replaced during the last service back in Aug-2023.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-middlestorage.jpg
Near the 'shaky' (Toyota owners can relate) gear lever is ample space to keep a water bottle, mobile phone/wallet and small packet snack(s). The storage box is quite large. I usually keep a pocket perfume, toothpicks, microfiber cloth and a spanner to remove the battery terminals. 'Yes, there is dirt. A much required complete wash is pending after last week's short roadtrip.'

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-bottomaccessoryarea.jpg
12V socket, fog lamp switch (from Toyota), dummy switch, front defogger (factory fit), dummy switch and an old school cigarette lighter (never used till date!).

Rest of the interiors are simple, with 2+2+3 seat configuration. The rear AC lines are layed over the roof (hence Toyota Innova and Fortuner do not get sunroof).

The 5000 km interval service is nearing and I believe the brake pads and brake shoes need to be changed. Will post on that in the next post.

Until then, drive safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2024, 20:41   #14
BHPian

Update about the 'n'th service of the Innova:

On 27-Feb-2024, I had booked an appointment for the periodic 5000 km interval service at Amana Toyota, Kasaragod. The service appointment was made via the Toyota i-Connect app: selecting the service center, service advisor, date and time was all seamless. Previously, either Dad or Uncle used to book the appointment via phone call. But when there is technology to use, why do certain things the old school way!?

Before I post the screenshot of the invoice, let me give the update on recent incident that happened:

In mid-Feb, Innova had done multiple runs to Sullia and one long trip to KR Nagara for a family function. Before that, it required a good body wash and interior cleaning. The pathetic summer did not allow me to do it on my own at home. So, I thought why not to try the machine wash which I had been seeing a lot of times when going to my uncle's home. So, one fine afternoon, took Innova for wash there.

The interior was cleaned, waste removed and dashboard polish was done as part of the full body wash. Followed by this, the supervisor inspected the rear spoiler. If they doubt the rear spoiler or any part is vulnerable during this machine wash, they proceed to maually wash the entire vehicle. But spoiler was intact. Supervisor then covered the front and rear wipers with a rubber roll, they attached cello tapes to the either side of the front and rear bumper. Then Innova was placed inside the wash chamber where a horizontal and vertical rotating part will do the cleaning with multiple iterations. This wash was followed by a blower too, which was attached to that machine setup. So, very less manual interruption unlike in the traditional car wash facilities.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-sideview.jpg
If you look closely, the wiper blades can be seen covered with a rubber to avoid getting ripped off or damaged!

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-rearview.jpg
The water is sprayed from all 4 directions. Even the bottom was cleaned after the body wash!

Once the machine wash was completed, Innova was moved ahead so that the workers can wipe the water remainings and polish the body and interiors. This is when I noticed the left side roof drip moulding was ripped off. I did not have any complaints towards the car wash because I should have asked ASC to replace both the mouldings during the last service where the front windshield was repaired due to water leak.

Immediately I called the Amana Toyota Parts, enquired about if the mouldings were available. If not how long it will take to acquire the parts from Bidadi plant/warehouse? I was informed that the item will be available in 2 working days and I had to make advance payment of ₹1000/-.

Since Innova had planned family runs in place, I got that fixed temorarily from a FNG who is a ex-Toyota employee using 3M tape. After all the family functions got over, a personnel from Toyota came to pick up the vehicle for the planned maintenance. Below is the work carried out during this service:

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-pm.png
This is the periodic service invoice screenshot. Labour plus part charges mentioned clearly.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-bodyshop.png
The body shop invoice which included the drip moulding work carried out professionally!

Toyota maintains periodic/general service invoice separate and the body shop/paint job invoice separate. I believe the same is followed by other OEMs as well.

The total bill came out to be ₹10120/- (including the advance payment). At the current market condition, this is not a too heavy bill for the pockets. And, I believe in 'reduce and reuse' policy of the 3Rs. Instead of going after a car at the present times which is solely dependant on sensors and electronics majorly, I still love to keep the old school vehicle which are simple but reliable!

A lot of restoration work items have been planned by me. Once the necessary funds are made ready in coming days, I am planning to get the Innova fully repainted from Thrust Performance at Bengalaru. More on this when the right time comes!

Until then, drive safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 11:48   #15
BHPian

Drive to Bengaluru:

Date: 26-Apr-2024 (Friday)
Route: Kasaragod > Sullia > Madikeri (Coorg) > Mysuru > Kengeri > Whitefield
Odo Start: 228609 km
Odo End: 228989 km
Total Trip: 380 km
Fuel: Normal Diesel (at Nayara, Jalsoor)

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-odostart.jpg

Detailed experience:
This drive to Bengaluru was planned. Why? I am relocating again to Bengaluru after 6 months of WFH and also a job switch. I had a luggage to carry as well (weighing around 150 kg) and Innova to the rescue!

After the mandatory election poll early morning, I made my Innova ready for this long drive. The 5000 km general check-up from ASC (Amana Toyota) was done at 226000 km (My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km). However, I have some rituals to complete before any drive involving 100+ km.
  • Check for nitrogen in the tires
  • Fill the windshield washer fluid with Toyota Genuine Washer Fluid
  • Ensure if dashcam is working as it is supposed to
  • Check for any lose parts/items inside the cabin to avoid distraction later-on during the drive.
  • Clean the air intake filter using a blower. Why? More on this later.

Since recently, I started this ritual of cleaning the engine air intake filter using a blower that I brought for ₹900/- from a neaby tools shop. Unlike between the year 2010-2018, the amount of dust currently floating in the surrounding is pretty high. The air intake filter, if dirty, can be a contributing factor for fuel efficiency, engine life and the lifespan of any ICE vehicle. And it did make things slightly better after I cleaned the air filter. I could feel the diesel engine kicking in when hitting the pedal while the air filter is dustfree. I do this activity every 2500 km and have done 2 times since last few months. Works well!

I started the journey from my home at 12:30 PM. Since it was election day, Kasaragod city was not as crowded as usual. A big relief! Playlist in place, air conditioning in 1 and average speed betweem 70-80 till Jalsoor.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-border.jpg
The lush green forest on either side of the Payaswini River, Parappa. Sadly, due to delayed rains, the river was almost dried up!

Just before Jalsoor, I stopped at Nayara Fuels, obviously for fuel break and a quick photo session!

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-nayarafuels.jpg
Innova's paint job and the Nayara are twinning!

On this route, there are two spots where there is bad patch of roads. I have been travelling since last two years and the state government is least bothered to fix those patches which can be risky for first time two wheeler travellers and even four wheelers! Planning to raise a complaint in the CPGRAMS portal, along with the pictures that I recently captured.

The border checking at the checkpost was almost fading. After this checkpost, I entered Jalsoor from where 'comparatively' wide highway starts while towns like Sullia and Sampaje fall in between.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-jalsoor.jpg
This is how the highway looks from the cockpit. Caution: cattles (and careless humans) regularly cross this road suddenly, so always keep an eye on either sides.

After crossing Sampaje, the heat outside started to subside and now I can roll down my windows to enjoy the fresh air before the Madikeri ghats begin. After few kilometers theghat began, I could see a lot of travellers parking their vehicles (cars, tempo travellers and mini-bus) road side and having a break. It is very risky to park vehicles and stroll on roads sides where there are blindspots. I don't understand why people fail to understand this and compromise on road safety. Heck!

As I drove, the crowd began increasing and I smelled an accident. An old generation Fortuner and a two wheeler had a collision, and looking at the Fortuner, I believe it had toppled before landing on the side railings. I do not have the exact details of what events had followed, but I could see a destroyed Fortuner (it will be a total loss) and a two wheeler. As there were a lot of commuters helping those who were part of this, so I did not stop and also did not wish to cause a slow traffic.

Few lessons hit my mind:
  • 2 eyes are not enough these days when on road!
  • Always drive/ride responsibly, especially in ghat roads.
  • Even if I am right on road, I cannot expect others to be like me.

From the accident spot, there was a little traffic towards both the sides but manageble.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-coorg-1.jpg

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-coorg-2.jpg
GoPro POV: this angle did not satisfy my OCD, but nevermind.

After reaching Madikeri City at around 03:10 PM, I headed to Udupi Garden for lunch as I was super hungry. I ordered a simple South Indian meal but before capturing the picture, I gulped all that was in front of me. The taste was average but will cancel out the hunger inside.

From here, I could see traffic picking up towards Mysuru. I was following the different fleets of KSRTC during most of the highway stretch. At times, it is annoying when these heavy vehicles do not let you go ahead nor they accelerate ahead when the road is empty. From here, I rolled up the windows and switched back to air conditioning.

Until Mysuru, I maintained 2500 RPM and between 80-100 kmph. I exceeded 100 kmph at times while overtaking, except that, I was cruising as usual. This is where the sweet spot lies in an Innova. The moment you cross 100 kmph, the engine gets 'extra' vocal and passengers (not driver) might get a little irritated but I do love to hear this when I am on solo drives. This time, I wanted to check the total range that I get on a full tank, hence I was light on the accelerator. The gear shift is as smooth as butter except for a slight jerk when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, which cannot be avoided most of the times.

From Mysuru, till Kengeri, I maintained 90-105 kmph. Here again, I did cross 105 kmph at certain stretch to avoid following heavy vehicles who are least concerned about other's safety when on such highways. I did take a stop near to Bidadi for a quick tea but it was already dark by then. So, could not capture.

Below is the Sheshagirihalli Toll Plaza where ₹165/- gets deducted, but is totally worth it.

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-expressway.jpg

My 2011 Toyota Innova 2.5L | Long-Term Ownership Review | 220,000 km-sunset.jpg

I did take a washroom break here. The toilets are on an elevated area just to the left of the Toll Plaza and vehicles can be taken till the entrane of the toilets. I feel this as a good gesture. If any senior citizen wants to use, they need not walk from the Toll Booth till the washroom, instead the vehicle can be taken all the way up there.

I reached Hoodi at 08:45 PM and stopped near Shrinidhi Sagar for dinner. From here, my new relocated accomodation is around 5 km. Drive went all safe and smooth and looking to clock more miles soon!

Until then, drive safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed