Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2007, 08:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
OT:
Say, could I install those lamps and relays on my M800? I need to correct some alignment problems with the headlights as well. Its a major pain at nights with those poor lights. And there is hardly any different between high and low beam.

Btw, the bulbs that you are talking about, does it include both the high and low beam or only one? Which reminds me, I've never really looked at the bulbs on a car.
I did it in my Alto and there was not alignment issues, it was like removing the old one and puting the new one...dont know about old 800 though...
Old 6th July 2007, 10:11   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello all - I can help on headlights - I do it this way - I get 2 nos of BOSCH relays (Rs300), purchase FINOLEX 65 SIZE wires (nothing else works), get hold of a soldering gun, a spool of plastic tape and tape the wires properly. Tap from the starter motor directly - if done properly, it is safe otherwise you will burn the wiring. I have 4 FIATS and a Maruti 800. 2 FIATS and the 800 have 130/110s, my 1964 FIAT has zenons and I am going to convert my fourth car this weekend. It is back breaking to tape properly but it is worth it. Do not compromise on routing and taping. Electricians tend to take short cuts. I do a lot of night driving so it is compulsary that I have fantastic headlights. Believe me, the truck fellows have to dip in front of my FIATS and 800. Takes a full day to do.

Behram Dhabhar
Old 6th July 2007, 11:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thats a nice review. Have you updated your tyres if not then ABS wont help much.
Tyres are Michelin XM1 185/70. Good grip, been taking corners at good speeds and no squeals yet. The Jk's are notorious for scaring you out of your wits - not my experience from Swift(I changed it after 10 kms), but from a Zen. I hate the brand JK.

The problem with having pillows at the back is, they have no contour for your back and is a band aid fix. Anyways let me try some pillows before considering a seat change - Anyone knows if this is possible?

Also, another peculiar issue - I can distinctly hear the fuel sloshing around in the tank - Is it just me or is it there in all cars? Never seem to have noticed it before in any cars.

@blorebuddy - The service was at Pratham and they were quick to sort out the rattles once I found the right person. The first guy was an idiot and gave nonsensical replies - I guess he is a newbie and knows jack**** about cars. It is very easy to judge the technical knowledge of a person - Ask him pointed questions , answers to which you know already and see what he says. Currently the car is devoid of any irritating rattles and I can enjoy the engine note or the music, as I please.

Does anyone know if the warranty will be void, if I fit 100/90 lamps?
Old 6th July 2007, 11:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Most of my observations about the car for now is from a critical standpoint. It is not that I don't like the car - I just love it !! - but I want to rectify the minor niggles so that I try to get it as perfect as possible.

Towards that end, the brake pedal feel leaves a lot to be desired. It feels spongy and the modulation does not inspire confidence. I will ask them to check if it needs to be bled. I test drove a Verna CRDI and loved it's brake modulation. The Civic brakes I didn't like much.
Old 6th July 2007, 11:57   #20
Team-BHP Support

yup warranty can be void if you do anything to wiring, good part is the new kits are plug and play and you dont require to cut or splice any wires, so if any issues just ensure you remove the upgrade before you take to dealer so that he doesnt complain
Old 6th July 2007, 13:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and i always thought that 200 + 600 = 800. My my , how the world has changed !!
Esteemed Lover - I meant 200(for bulbs) + 600(for relay) + installation(could be 50 or 100) = 900
Old 6th July 2007, 16:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know if the warranty will be void, if I fit 100/90 lamps?
Depends on the dealerships. I have it installed in both my cars and no warranty going void blah blah issues as such.
Old 8th July 2007, 13:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Test drove an SX4 and also a friends Swift Vxi Petrol(2000 kms old). Posting here as a comparison against my Swift D.

SX4 clutch was light, and smooth to operate. Gearshifts seemed to be better as well. Driving position and view is much much better than the Swift. The engine, though silent, lacked that eagerness to rev(unlike the baleno which it replaces) and the engine note grew progressively harsh as I pushed her to 5k rpm. Touched an indicated 120 kph on ring road, highway rides would suit this car. Suspension seemed as good/bad as the Swift. It handled well, in the 5-6km that I got to drive.

Coming back to the Swift Petrol, the clutch again felt light, so light that it lacked any feel. Gearbox was a joy to use, unlike my Diesel which still is notchy and provide hard shifts sometimes. Low end grunt was practically nil and there is not much usable power in the 1000-3000 rpm range. This is where the diesel scores and proves so much fun to drive. The torque difference is huge and once used to the Diesel, you will not find the Petrol enjoyable in everyday conditions. the only positives for the Petrol I found was refinement(NVH), but there were some faint vibrations felt through the gear lever and steering.

My friend is getting a mileage of 10-11 only(100% a/c - City) and that itself gives reason for me to smile for having bought the Diesel over the Petrol.
Old 8th July 2007, 16:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Well kuttapan diesel cars do have a heavier clutch then their petrol counterparts so nothing to worry about.
Old 8th July 2007, 18:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice review, kuttappa - adi poli!

Be gentle on your car - try to make it as perfect as possible, but bear in mind that you could be overly concerned about small issues.

Clutch feel will be different in different cars - you will get used to yours. It doesnt really help that you go around testing clutch feel in all other cars - it isnt going to change the feel in yours.

The real issue for you is the lack of comfort in the driver's seat. I'd suggest you address this first - I think most of your other issues will seem smaller once you're comfortable in your car.
Old 8th July 2007, 20:21   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Just done our first service at 887 Km.

Seats... yes, I the car feels perfectly comfortable the first few times you drive it for a few minutes, but after a few weeks, and for journeys of an hour, both the back and the base of the seat lack support. Not sure if I'm going to make do with cushions here --- or look for custom seats! Really don't want to have to spend that much money (whatever it would be). The swift in itself was a limited-budget decision.

Clutch... Not heavy; mine is quite light in fact --- so there must be an adjustable there.

Break... a little 'spongy' at end of pedal travel, but seems to work just fine.

Things you don't notice at first (Love is blind when you've just bought your first-ever brand-new car!)...

Reversing lights... pathetic. So bad I thought it didn't have any until I got ot and looked.

Door Fit... the gaps are so big that not only leaves and dust get in... even twigs! And they all catch in the upper seal which must have been specially designed to catch them.

Rear Window demister... there isn't one. Goes without saying that there's no rear wiper, despite the rest of the world having these on hatchbacks since... since, errr, hatchbacks!

Paint... Well, there is some, but get a scratch or a nick and you can see it is pretty thin!

Service... cost 823 for the oil and a sachet of wiper fluid addative.

They were supposed to remove a scratch that was on the side mirror houseing at delivery. They, errr... reduced it. i think I'll live with it.

They wanted us to buy a new rear bumper panel at about 5000 where we had a dent from a bike that didn't stop. We said... push the dent out, do the best you can. They have done such a good job of this I can hardly believe the panel is not new: there is barely a trace, despite the fact that the plastic was scuffed as well as bent.

I asked them to touch up a tiny mark on one door. Half this size --> o . The very slight dent, I can live with. They have... but not properly, as in the paint should be smooth and even (allowing for dent.) What they have done, any fool with a touch up kit could have done.

It took them two days to accomplish all this. If I hadn't been stuck at home with a cold I would have minded. The tinkering cost us 2000

Nothing to do with the service, but I'm still waiting for the dealers to supply the centre bits for the alloy wheels (Maruti-supplied; I'm not a connoisseur). They promised to sort it out this week. BTW... shouldn't the wheel bolts match the wheels... they look like ordinary ones to me...

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th July 2007 at 20:22.
Old 8th July 2007, 20:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Reversing lights... pathetic. So bad I thought it didn't have any until I got ot and looked.
err...how'd you manage THAT? Get out and look, I mean.
Old 8th July 2007, 20:30   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Some of us are willing to make great sacrifices in the name of research!

Actually.... car was in reverse gear, ignition on, engine not running.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Driving seat is a pain for me, I start getting a backache after driving for 2 hours or so. Tried all sorts of permutations and combinations for seat position and rake, but to no avail. I never felt this in any of the cars I drove before, would it be possible to plonk some other seat onto the swift? Or else, what are my options? Considering to get some pillows for the neck, proabably for the thighs too - Where in Bangalore can I get options for these?

Mileage has settled between 15-17, depending on traffic. 100% a/c and I never switch off the car at signals.
wow 15-17 with 100% AC. thats a nice FE.

regarding the seats, i heard the older version of the getz had a very good set of front seats, can some one put some light on this.

Are the rattling sounds a common thing in the swift or just those are isolated cases. sure those sounds can be dampned by increasing the volume of the ICE, but for a car worth more than 5 lakhs, that shouldnt be an issue to be ignored....

raj.
Old 8th July 2007, 21:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Thats good FE I feel although Swift D was hyped to give FE of 20 in City and 25 on highway.
I do nt think it is not so hyped. It is reality if you do not switch on AC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks