Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2022, 23:52   #1
BHPian

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors

2007-2014, Indica V2 GLS – 7 Years - 55k KMs

It all started with our Indica V2 GLS petrol that my dad purchased back in March 2007. Dad was taken to the dealer by an office colleague of his. Maruti Swift was launched in 2005 and there was a marketing event going on at city center - I, Salt Lake Kolkata. I remember we did visit that launch show and enquired about the petrol model VXI, which we really liked. But we had an additional burden of constructing a garage. Taking all these into account, we had to settle for the Indica GLS variant – Manual AC was the only feature if we may call it so.

I just applied for my license, had no interest in cars. We did go for a test drive of the Indica but I did not drive it as I still did not have my license. It was such a dreamy drive, the feeling of owning and riding in your own car was the only factor that mattered that day.

Indica was booked on 11th Feb 2007 from R. D. Motors a dealer in Kolkata, Baguiati, they were one of the biggest dealers of Tata Motors those days. It was delivered in 3 weeks on 2nd Mar 2017 we took the delivery.

The ex-showroom invoice
My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-indica3.jpg

The on-road components
My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-indica4.jpg

The indica did about 55K kms in its life time with us. I do not remember any niggling issues with it or getting stranded with it on road.

The inspiration behind my TEAM-BHP handle
My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-indica1.jpg

The feature list
My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-indica2.jpg

The indica has been related to some great memories in my life, apart from being the first car of the family and the first car I drove after getting my license. Indica was part of some very special moments - meeting my wife Sutapa for the first time in 2007 and bringing home our new born son in 2009 and my daughter in 2013.

The Indica was maintained for almost a year or more by my dad alone, with help of local driver, while I was in Europe for my work. Why it’s a big deal is because dad really did not even have the slightest idea on maintaining a car, he was completely at mercy of the driver and the service center, we used to service it at the RD Motors Service center back then at Dashadrone check post in Rajarhat, Kolkata. By then the car was about 3 years old when I had to relocate to Europe. Dad used the car for short trips, just to keep it in running condition, with the help of the local driver club. When I came back after almost a year, I discovered that the driver side window roller was broken, that was the only noticeable damage. The car started at the first crank to my delight. The battery also had to be replaced pretty soon around the 4th year, and the tires by around the 5th. Indica was mostly used on long drives and city usage was comparatively lower compared to my usage now.

Our trip to Darjeeling and Temi was the last trip for the Indica. The Xeta aged fairly well, in-fact during the 7th year I did not have lot of maintenance at hand and it surely would have completed 3 more years without much trouble. But, by then I started to feel the need of a better, if possible, a car with higher ground clearance.

Beyond triple digit speeds the Indica did not induce much confidence, and there was a significant loss of power once you switch on the AC that’s all that I used to hate about it. We exchanged the car in 2014, Nov and as it happens, first car of our family bought by dad, we were pretty well attached to it emotionally in the last 7 years, so letting it go was not easy. It served us pretty well, with no major complaints and no let downs.

Some pictures of the Indica.

From Konark Puri trip in 2008, it was my first long drive, with my wife and my maiden travelogue on Team-BHP. The link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...i-kolkata.html (Kolkata - Konarak - Puri - Kolkata)

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-dsc02628.jpg

Puri Vizag in 2010
My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-dsc03179.jpg

Darjeeling Dooars 2010
My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-dsc00121.jpg

Gantok Pelling Trip in 2012
My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-gtoktrip2012.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-dsc05718.jpg

On Gorubathan Lava Road 2013
My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_5269.jpg

Xeta with my 2 little hearts
My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-dsc_0018.jpg

The last trip of Xeta Darjeeling Temi Oct 2014
My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_1307.jpg

2014-2019, Zest XT Petrol – 5 years - 78k KMs

Zest was show cased in Auto Expo 2014 and was finally launched in Aug that year. I took a test drive almost right after the launch. The only other option that I considered during that time was the Swift DZire, but the feature list and pricing of Zest was far ahead of the Swift DZire at that time. With a fixed budget I had, Zest top trim XT seemed within reach. The Swift DZire top trim was far north of my budget, with a reduced feature list, but it was indeed a much safer buy. It was indeed a gamble – The untested top variant of Zest with more features, or settle for a lower variant of the Swift DZire with much reduced features. The customer service aspect of Tata Motors did not have much impact on me as our Indica never had any critical issues and the few interactions during Indica days with the TATA ASC has been pretty acceptable.

I have a detailed thread on the Zest till it completed 25K Kms at about 2 months short of 2 years. The thread below is still incomplete at least for the last update before I sold it in the year 2019. My Zest ownership was not trouble free, it had it's fair share of issues till about the 3rd year, and there after it was pretty stable. Having said that, the support from the Service Center was good which never let my confidence down on the car. Zest did complete a trip to Kinnaur in 2016 and Spiti in 2018 successfully. The last two years of Zest I was really in love with it, the four cylinder turbo charged engine was pretty much enjoyable in sports mode.

Kinnaur Travelogue - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-cuv-thar.html (Chal Chal Himachal : Sailed through Kinnaur in a hatchback, sedan, CUV and Thar)
Spiti Tavelogue - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...dans-suvs.html (Sailed through Lahaul & Spiti in hatchbacks, sedans & SUVs)

I was impressed with how the Zest performed in the Spiti trip and numerous trips to North Bengal hill I made during these years.

I’ll update the below thread with the details of the Zest ownership till it was sold on 11th Sep 2019 at about 78k Kms.

Link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ms-update.html (Zed, my Red Tata Zest. EDIT: 20 months & 25,000 kms update)

Zest is currently being used by one of my friend and its tipped the the odo more than 1.3 lakh Kms as of this writing, that was indeed heart warming to hear. Let me end this with some sweet memories of Zed, as I lovingly called it.

The 3 snaps below are from a Trip to Mukutmanipur in West Bengal, this was co-incidentally the same place where Zest had its first trip too.

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-69687883_2402047153204596_1895512717200982016_n.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-70488957_2401771699898808_5146263864567922688_n.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20190907_122021.jpg

Pictures below are from the first trip of Zest, Nov 2014, same place as above, yours truly with the new Zest, notice the matching red sneakers.

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-10329726_746030562129276_2817388717463951817_o.jpg

Same trip as above, picture credit Sumitro, his Thar, Sherpa was also part of this trip

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-1272897_10152833095855569_8909243275137698109_o.jpg

A snap with Sherpa and Rana Adhikary (Rana da is not a bhpian on Teambhp, but nothing short of it otherwise) and his black Punto of the "Kele" (black) punto fame, of our gang.

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-1404698_10152833094160569_8015704028797161926_o.jpg

Visited Kolkata Maidan from the Bank after clearing Hypothecation, the sale was confirmed by this time

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20190905_135244.jpg

Last drive from office to home

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-71315008_2414524265290218_3791735693143703552_n.jpg

Same day, starting off from office for home, parked at a service road to take a picture, knew by then its not going to be with me for much longer

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20190906_154721.jpg

Zest meets Nexon, a day before I handed over Zest, Nexon was delivered the next day evening. I was really feeling lifted, briefly it was like I own both of them! But, in reality I owned neither, one was sold, the other yet to be registered officially in my name.

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20190909_160646.jpg

Sep 2019 Onwards - Nexon XZ+ Diesel

Nexon was already launched in 2017 it was a good 2 years into production by this time. I always thought that Zest had more space and was more practical than the Nexon in terms of space. But, the bug of driving a low-end torque of a diesel did bite me by this time, I really wanted to drive a diesel car with a good low-end torque. Around Aug of 2019 I test drove Eco Sport, Duster and Nexon.

Eco-Sport Diesel:

Face: I liked the chiseled face. The three slat grill with the subtle use of chrome borders exuded a strong character.

Dashboard: Not a turn off but looked slightly overdone and too busy for my liking, wasn't a turn off for me though. The Instrument cluster design was fine for me.

Drivability: - 99 BHP, 205 NM torque, it was really smooth and revved up nicely, handling was absolutely perfect, the low end torque felt good when I drove it first

Turn offs: Boot space and overall space inside, low end toque (when compared to others)

Duster AWD:

Face: I was not very fond of it, but it wasn't a turn off, the new one released just after had a much likable face.

Dashboard: Very primitive and outdated design as of current time, I however linked the instrument cluster design, it had cruise control.

Drivability: 108 BHP, 245 NM torque, I felt the difference was huge in performance compared to Eco-sport, even better than Nexon, with a max torque 260 NM Duster was feeling more agile and quick. I think it was the transmission that was able to transfer the torque much more efficiently to the drive. AWD and the corresponding gear ratios makes it an absolute treat to drive on inclines, I knew it. The build was the best between all three I was considering.

Turn offs: Nothing really, if would have fitted in my garage, I would have been writing a different review (Injectors may have been a headache, but so is life anyway). I definitely would have had to upgrade the ICE after hearing the Harman system on Zest for 5 years, the one on Nexon now is even better sounding.

Duster made a wild card entry. Duster was just about to pull the plugs of the diesel engine by the end of 2019, we already came to know by that time and dealers were clearing off the stocks. My wife Sutapa and myself really was in love with a red duster AWD that was given to us to test drive, it was ready for delivery vehicle not a TD one. I took a test drive for a good distance, which Samba arranged for us. I even went to the showroom with my family to test if we can fit one of kids at the back with the back seat accessory. I would then kept the Zest and used the duster as the second car, enabling be to travel with mom and dad. But, it was not possible (pictures below), to make matters worse duster was also not fitting in my garage length wise, sadly had to drop it. Nexon ranked below the duster but became the eventual choice, even though I never felt it was really an upgrade from the Zest I had.

Snaps at Renault Showroom to check the child seat accessory in the duster boot.

For my daughter, it was only a matter of few months before it would have been unusable

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20190629_145533.jpg

For my son this was not usable at all

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20190629_145710.jpg

Nexon Diesel XZ+ :

Face: I still don't like the rounded shapes and the scratch prone piano finish on top of the front grill, especially after the new 2020 design update

Dashboard: Nothing to complain, I liked the clean dials, much better than the LED ones its been changed to. Since I do a lot of night drive such strong lights from the Instrument cluster would be hard to bear.

Drivability: 110BHP, 260NM torque, Very strong low end, it takes off 2nd gear w/o a hitch, even with load. You can avoid very obvious gear changes such is its low end, helps in city. Top end is not that exciting though I shift to the next gear just above 2K rpm mostly, it start getting noisy after that. At idle its really noisy, lot of clatter, saves honking. NVH pretty good so not a turn off once you are seated inside. Body roll is in control no one really complained specially while driving to and from Shillong, uff! those roads!

Turn offs: Nothing to complain, within my budget and garage space I had no reasons / options to. I had few surprises after delivery though.

I took a test drive of a diesel Nexon and really loved the power delivery of the diesel. The added GC and slightly higher seating position and having seen that I have driven the Zest for a close to 75K Kms in 5 years, I literally jumped into it, who knew about the pandemic back then. Nexon was booked on 28th Aug 2019.
While I was ready to buy the Nexon, but was having a hard time to convince my self to sell the Zest and there was no space to live with both of them. One can imagine the hard time I had to convince my mom, dad and my wife. I struggled a lot and it was completely a heart over brain decision to finally book the Nexon. Ok, by this time my son was 10 years and my daughter crossed 5 years, so we were almost 5+ pax to fit, still nothing stopped me and in no time an Etna Orange Nexon was all ready for delivery within 15 days.

Nexon was delivered on 12th Sept, 2019 and I timed it such that we can complete all the paper works right before our Arunachal trip, which was due on 2nd Oct 2019, close call but Tata Motors and the dealer made the delivery really smooth and I had no issues.

Some snaps of the Nexon Delivery with my family

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20190912_172219.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20190912_171021.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20190912_160213.jpg

Some more snaps at Dakshineshwar Temple

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20190913_093304.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20190913_092546.jpg

So, eventually 15+ years with Tata Motors and as the flashbacks above unfolds, I really had no soft corners for the brand or their cars, but it was always the best fit some how. The customer service aspect has never been a problem till date.

With the Zest I was starting to loose my patience but the way the ASC and TML dealt with the problems and finally resolved was commendable, but again I had to manage expectations and time.

The Indica, opposed to numerous negative feedbacks (all genuine and mostly on diesel and over all experience with service) I came across, online offline, distant acquaintances and near friends, I had an absolutely trouble free ownership.

All said and done, the Nexon ownership started in a very scary and unconvincing manner, details of which is coming up in my next post so stay tuned.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th September 2022 at 20:42. Reason: As requested
arindam_xeta is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 15:26   #2
BHPian

re: My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors

This is still 2019 September, new Nexon stickering with “Live To Drive” stickers was done on the first day it entered the garage. I had a good couple of weeks to settle down with the new Nexon before the Arunachal trip. Started off with the office drives for those two weeks, the over protective me being ultra-careful for those initial days to make sure even a fly doesn’t touch my new car.

During the very initial drives, the extra torque of Nexon did catch me by surprise especially at very low RPMs in bumper-to-bumper situations, it delivers quite a big dollop of torque to make you dart forward quickly into the car leading you. The ECU tuning at low RPM is also pretty aggressive, it tries to pull up the car above 1K RPM, you hardly need the accelerator till then, this is consistent and I needed some getting used to. Had a smooth 2 weeks with the new Nexon as we prepared for the trip, all excited with the new car.

The travelogue of that trip is penned down to the very last detail, with excellent narrations and pictures as is always done by Samba. A big shout out to him for that!

You may find that travelogue at the link below.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...s-bhpians.html (Sailed through the Northeast in hatchbacks & crossovers with BHPians)

The below incident is mentioned in the post below
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post4679367 (Sailed through the Northeast in hatchbacks & crossovers with BHPians)

First trip for Nexon with loads of excitement and the new car smell we started our maiden trip, but someone up there had a different plan. Up until Tawang Nexon was absolutely perfect!

A couple of pictures of the Nexon -

This is at our first halt in Dooars on the way to Managaldoi

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-arunachal1.jpg

This one is after crossing Sela Pass

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-arunachal2.jpg

But before reaching Tawang I was feeling a slight dip in the acceleration and over all power delivery felt a tad lower. At times I was feeling like I’m riding a gear lower, but I was not really sure about my perception after all the car was still new for me and it gained some height as well, so I ignored my anxiety. We reached Tawang, no fuss yet.

Next morning, we started our climb to Bumla pass from Tawang, about 15Kms before Bumla the car started showing overheating with tell-tale alert beeps and a visual alert on the instrument cluster. This was followed by a complete drop in power. I immediately pulled over at a shoulder without stressing the overheated engine further and turned off the ignition. I did not know what caused it and both me and my wife turned pale.

Others went slight ahead of me, while I was going through all this ordeal. To make things an absolute bummer there was no cell reception on my Airtel, it was close to midday but the atmosphere around us felt cold. We were perhaps feeling the chill even more, after this sudden unexpected shock. The sky above us was overcast, while the fear of being stranded at a lonesome unknown place grasped us like a black spell for a few moments, we did not have much water or food, a very quick flash of thoughts zipped through our minds about what else could possibly go wrong here, as me and my wife stared at each other without a blink or a word, with the two little ones completely confused of the situation.

The steering was ice cold in no time as I touched it unmindfully. After a good 3-4 minutes the silence broke, as I tried to crank up the engine again, it did fire up but as I slotted the first gear, the car had no power at all. I turned off the engine and got off the car for some help. I have no pictures related to this incident.

An army gypsy was going up, towards Bumla, I gave the gentleman in uniform a description of the cars especially the 2 red cars a Duster and a TUV. Soon, I saw the Red Duster speeding down the hill and we breathed some relief.

Both me and Samba opened up the bonnet and saw that the coolant chamber was empty, it was pat dry, and full of dust, so we could conclude there was a coolant leakage but could not understand where. So, we decided to leave the Nexon parked as we had to enter Bumla before it closed for the day and we still had about 15 kms to cover.

We visited the Bumla pass all the way in the Red Duster. My little daughter was slightly low on oxygen, she had to be attended at an army camp for sometime before we finally arrived at the Border. From there we visited Sangetsar lake and then the entire team returned back to the spot where Nexon was parked, it was evening but not dark yet.

SouraC was the first to spot that the coolant hose came out from the radiator end, the metal tie went loose since it was like half inserted and the screw was not tightened. To my good fortune Samba had a 5 Ltrs pot sealed water, we filled up the coolant pipes after SouraC tightened the metal tie. I was still a bit tensed if the engine would sustain any damages for using water, also we could not clean the dust fully that got sucked in. My family was still in the Duster while I drove the Nexon just to check if the car was back to normal, we reached the hotel, by then it was dark, Nexon seemed to be back to normal. Thanks to Samba and SouraC for saving my day.

The worst day of my life till now to say the least, stranded with a car on road, this has never happened till now with me. From the hotel, I called up the service center guy, Surajit at TC Motors, Rajarhat, he is a very knowledgeable guy. Told him the entire episode. He assured me that there will be no damage to the engine and I can drive back to Kolkata without any problem, he even advised me not try and re-fill coolant as he will clean and then re-fill the same, only that I had to keep an eye, if the water level is falling below minimum, I needed to top-up. He assured I need not be anxious.

Surajit informed me that this was a plant error and has been reported by several diesel Nexons of that batch. Really!!! 3 years down the production line? My car was yet to receive the call as first service was not due yet.

I informed Surajit to immediately raise this entire issue to TML, and he did raise it. The next day I got a call from the regional office and also from the customer care head apologizing for what has happened, got a call once again from the eastern technical head. But the damage was done, I missed the Bumla pass with the new car, more than that I could have been badly stranded for such a trivial issue but a serious QC miss, both at the plant and the management of the issue after it was discovered. Shared a piece of my mind on each of the calls.

I came back home with water in the coolant tank from Bumla to Kolkata Via Shillong more than 2k+ kms and was promptly called over to the service center where the coolant chamber and pipes were cleaned and coolant was replaced FOC.

So, my Nexon ownership was not started with a good note at all, the story could have been far more harassing for me and my family including the two little ones. Let’s see how the ownership unfolds over the upcoming years.

Last edited by arindam_xeta : 11th September 2022 at 20:10. Reason: Post updated
arindam_xeta is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 22:48   #3
BHPian

Happy 3rd Year with the Nexon - 33K KMs

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-251184347_4457973167611974_1610352654360164429_n.jpg
My Orange Nexon - Frozen by Samba

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-darjeeling-15aug.jpg
Nexon - Darjeeling Drive Last 15th Aug

On 12th Sept 2022, Nexon completes the 3rd year of ownership, the odo has crossed 33k Kms. I have no extended warranty. I visited the service centers 4 times till date, including the first visit to replace the coolant when the 1st scheduled service, essentially just a checkup, was also done.

Some of the points I still like today about the Nexon (Nov 2019 make):

Low End Torque: That's what I wanted and I'm still enjoying that un-interrupted.

FE: 18 KMPL is my average FE as per Fuelio, for this 33K+ kms that its clocked so far. Mileage has been hovers more than 22+ KMPL on highway with AC. FE tapers down slightly beyond 100-110 kph. The MID is not accurate in terms of the mileage calculation, what I observed the more the idling the more inaccurate it gets. Not sure if this is any better in the newer models.

Reliability: I would rate it high, I have had no issues at all till today. It started with the first crank every time, no unusual jerks in acceleration, no engine lights. All electronics working, all bulbs still original, except the low beams.

Cost: I spent Rs.5500 odd in the last service for the 3rd year scheduled maintenance done last July end, I do it little before time always. Before this until the second year my spend was only Rs. 890. I did have a silver P2P that I got during the purchase as a corporate offer.

The Build: Nothing to complain, it’s been holding up well, no creeks or rattles.

Niggles: Nothing yet.

Parts Replaced: Nothing significant. In Apr 2021, I reported a noise coming from left front wheel, a bearing was replaced which resolved it. I did break the air deflection flap of the rear wheel arch assembly on our trip to North Sikkim, something must have hit it, I replaced that, though it was not essential.

The Wipers: Still wipes clean without a noise, did not have to change them yet, may be since it was used much less and lesser exposure to the elements due to the pandemic and work from home for more than 2 years now.

The High Beams: They are fine, still using the stock H7 bulbs, nothing to complain

The Harman System: The one I have is the new 6.5 inch that came in the 2020 model, I felt the sound quality was a notch higher, I’ll come back to this later, below.

Things that I really curse even today

The USB Port Position: It’s hidden inside the absolute depths of the center console and is a blind treasure hunt as you drive, if you need to plug in something. Same for the charging socket.

What a ergonomic blunder to live with .

The low beam: It’s a bummer, I have changed it myself with Autobahn LED.

No Illuminated Door Switches: Tata took those off silently, it’s an absolute sin against a customer buying the top trim, only driver door has illumination now.

No Rear Fog lamp: Another silent omission.

The Harman ICE has been a treat to my ears, but the Android Auto was a sobbing experience. It never really worked and I did not know whom to catch - Tata Motors, Google or Harman? I was hopeless and stopped using it eventually, until after sometime I found there was an update to the Harman system. I found it on YouTube posted by another owner. Got the update installed and to my amazement the entire system changed for good. It become more responsive and android auto started working flawlessly. This has suddenly made the Harman System more usable and easy to operate the entire navigation and music playing inside the car.

Sadly I purchased a new phone very recently, having Android 12 and the previous reliability of Android Auto is no more, this one keeps disconnecting every now and then. My last phone was having Android 11 and the system still works flawlessly with it.

So, overall, my ownership experience with Nexon has been great so far, except the Bumla incident, I hope it stays that way. I have been enjoying the car a lot, its an absolute hoot to drive on the hills, very effortless cruiser especially on the rickety and bumpy NH34 sections, the low end torque makes sure it can wake up from a slumbering low RPM just about anytime. There is all round improvement in reliability at least till date. Let’s see how it fares in the coming days, I think these days, majority of cars (of-course, exceptions are there) across manufacturers goes through the first 5 years pretty well, it's only after that one may really start to judge, lets see.

In fact the Nexon impressed me to such an extent that I really thought I needed to put up a thread for it and here I'm. It has been really a big challenge for me to find time to post in TeamBHP, while I really want to do it, even for the trips, but I've been failing miserably till date.

I hope you enjoy the pictures below of the Nexon from the various drives.

Dalma Jamshedpur Trip (Mar 2020) just before Pandemic Lockdown started

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-dalma2mar2020.jpg

Kanha Bandhavgar Trip (Sep 2020). The travelogue link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...h-kolkata.html (Forests, hills & more! Our road-trip to Madhya Pradesh from Kolkata)

Nexon shared a lot of road space with the Duster

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-mptripnov2020.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-mptrip2nov2020.jpg

Purulia Ajodhya Pahar (Oct 2020)

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-ajodhya-pahar-oct2020.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-ajodhya-pahar2-oct2020.jpg

North Sikkim (Apr 2021)

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-north-sikkim-apr2021.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-north-sikkim-apr-2021.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-north-sikkim3-apr-2021.jpg

Chilapata Dooars (Aug 2021) - This was our work from home drive, we stayed an entire week working from the jungles

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-chilapata-aug-21.jpg

Darjeeling (Dec 21) - This was also a work from home trip for a week in Darjeeling

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-darjwfh-dec-21.jpg

Netarhat Patratu Drive (July 22)

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-patratu1jul22.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-patratu2jul22.jpg

Uttarakhand (May 22) - The travelogue link - https://www.team-bhp.com/news/sailin...ter-tata-nexon

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-uttarakhand17may22.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-uttarakhand117.jpg

Just for the sake of records, as of this writing, the relationship with Tata Motors which now exceeds more than 15 years, is actually longer than the one I have with my wife and I hope it stays that way. To keep such bonds intact in the coming days, Tata Motors will need to ensure the products remain versatile, QC is improved and serves the need of the customer at the right prices and he gets the best service during the life time of the vehicles. And, come on! For god sake don't steal existing basic features any more!

While the Nexon was doing really good on one side it was quickly running out of space. My daughter had to share the front seat with her mom, whenever the entire family (including my mom and dad) had to go out. This was becoming unsafe and uncomfortable as she gained height. Finally, on the 8th of February 2021 I brought home a used Hexa 4x2 Manual 2017, for the 6 of us. This thread would be incomplete without a picture of Airavat...

Airavat had 40K kms on the odo and has completed 12k Kms of journey in last 1.5 years and it's done so without a hitch. My family including myself is completely spoiled by the comfort and space it offers. I'll need to come up with another thread for Airavat.

Introducing Airavat

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20211127_130213.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-img_20210912_153002.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 13th September 2022 at 14:23. Reason: As requested
arindam_xeta is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 08:56   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 11:00   #5
BHPian

Only 1 word to express this ownership review “Awesome”. Rated your thread 5/5. Nice to know that all 3 Tata cars you owned till now served you brilliantly. Wishing lots and lots of happy kms with your Nexon.
Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 12:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
[center]

Happy 3rd Year with the Nexon - 33K KMs

Just for the sake of records, as of this writing, the relationship with Tata Motors which now exceeds more than 15 years, is actually longer than the one I have with my wife and I hope it stays that way. To keep such bonds intact in the coming days, Tata Motors will need to ensure the products remain versatile, QC is improved and serves the need of the customer at the right prices and he gets the best service during the life time of the vehicles. And, come on! For god sake don't steal existing basic features any more!
Am pretty much in the same boat as you, except that I am still on our second Tata car, unlike you, who has moved on to the third. Our relationship with Tata started in 2004 with the Indica V2 DLS and it was similar to yours although the car was incredibly unrefined with huge issues in fit and finish everywhere you looked. However, the car was really reliable and never let us down over a lakh kms of ownership. My current ride has also completed over a lakh kms over 9 years and so far it has been an extremely trouble free ownership experience.

It seems to me that barring someone who gets the odd lemon (which happens with every other OEM as well), most Tata owners are happy with their steeds and even the service provided by Tata ASCs (I have no complaints). Hence I find the continuous emphasis on the hit-or-miss nature of ASCs a bit odd. Having said that, Tata still needs to up its QC game - your episode with the coolant hose is a stark reminder.

On a separate note, Nexon seems to be among the most common cars on the TBHP WB group at the moment, apart from the Dusters and the Ecosports. I can already count 4 with yours, Sujoy's, Golam's and Samit's in the fray. I may be missing a few more.
Neversaygbye is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 12:50   #7
BHPian

Was the jump seat an "official" accessory? I don't understand how Renault could offer something that is demonstrably unsafe, and perhaps illegal?
Old 12th September 2022, 13:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
Was the jump seat an "official" accessory? I don't understand how Renault could offer something that is demonstrably unsafe, and perhaps illegal?
Yeah, same question. The addition of Extra seat in the Rear as an accessory violates the RC for number of passengers, right ? (Assuming that it states 5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Things that I really curse even today

The USB Port Position: It’s hidden inside the absolute depths of the center console and is a blind treasure hunt as you drive, if you need to plug in something. Same for the charging socket.
Wish you many Happy Miles.
Totally resonates with what I feel about that USB port positioning. It seems like whosoever designed that USB slot placement had either baby hands otherwise it was just designed but nobody at Tata ever tried using it during testing. It is extremely frustrating to plug a USB cable into that slot. (The 12v port is only a bit better).
What I have found as a solution to this frustration is to use a USB 3.0 Male to Female extension plug. Since the cable can be routed from the left corner through the egress hole so with help of some clips, it makes living easier. It also extends the life of original USB port as they have tendency to go bad/cranky over time after frequent plug in/out.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 12th September 2022 at 14:05.
rishi.roger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 14:26   #9
BHPian

Excellent ownership log Arindam! You intersperse it with your personal notes and it makes for such a warm and enjoyable reading.

The Nexon is a well sorted product and was absolutely fantastic VFM when launched. I think you have a winner on your hands so keep her as long as you can till we shift over to EVs.

Beautiful pictures as well. Loved the kiddos!
Old 12th September 2022, 18:50   #10
abg

Beautiful car, beautiful pictures!

Nexon is a great looking car especially in this color.

It was a pleasure to read through your review. Wish you many more happy miles with your beauty!
Old 12th September 2022, 21:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful review.

I have seen all your cars and I must say the way you take care and maintain all of them, it's something to learn from. Your attention to the minutest of the details are just amazing. Rated a well deserved 5*.

Your Nexon and my Duster have covered 11 states together, looking forward for many more!

If I list it-

West Bengal
Chhattisgarh
Madhya Pradesh
Jharkhand
Bihar
Uttarpradesh
Uttarakhand
Sikkim
Assam
Arunachal Pradesh
Meghalaya

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-171726194_5643366359068544_3307553793661993043_n.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-172715508_5643413692397144_1333616139448140494_n.jpg

My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors-173470240_5643382639066916_3750722415997901436_n.jpg
Samba is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 23:17   #12
BHPian

It was wonderful to read about your experience with Tata cars Arindam. Great to know that it was all nice and they never let you down.

Somehow, either our car buying timeline or model selection is similar.

1. We too had a Tata Indica petrol albeit with 1.4L MPFI engine. It ran around 56k-57k kms till it was with us and served well without any major hiccups.
2. I too bought my first car in early 2014.
3. I was looking to buy a compact car in mid 2018. Between Ecosport and Nexon, somehow ended up with Tiago. I was mighty impressed with Nexon then and as we all know it has been a successful product for Tata.

Happy miles!
Old 16th September 2022, 21:50   #13
BHPian

Re: My Orange Tata Nexon & My relationship of 15+ years with Tata Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Reviews section. Thanks for sharing!

Going to our homepage today
Thanks a ton GTO. My regards to the entire team who helped with the post edits after the thread was live and also put the Hexa snaps, which was an afterthought from my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhalla View Post
Only 1 word to express this ownership review “Awesome”. Rated your thread 5/5. Nice to know that all 3 Tata cars you owned till now served you brilliantly. Wishing lots and lots of happy kms with your Nexon.
My pleasure Bhalla!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
Am pretty much in the same boat as you, except that I am still on our second Tata car, unlike you, who has moved on to the third.

It seems to me that barring someone who gets the odd lemon (which happens with every other OEM as well), most Tata owners are happy with their steeds and even the service provided by Tata ASCs (I have no complaints).

On a separate note, Nexon seems to be among the most common cars on the TBHP WB group at the moment, apart from the Dusters and the Ecosports. I can already count 4 with yours, Sujoy's, Golam's and Samit's in the fray. I may be missing a few more.
Yes, with Indica I guess I was lucky to have the petrol one, with the diesel I do hear a lot of people having to suffer and they swear of not buying Tata any more. Yes QC is something which Tata needs to address, that has been a concern for a while. I do still hear incidents on poor fit and finish on various social forums across Tata's current portfolio.

I guess there are still those ASC which are not at par and this variance in the standard of service is what the reviewers term as a hit or miss. I wonder why Tata does not take a step to standardize these across the country. Not sure though about other auto companies.

Nexon and many of the other Nexon siblings certainly is more visible on the roads and in any forum and even in my office parking these days. Tata is really selling good numbers these days compared to around 2013 / 14. In fact in the last T-BHP meet only I met a brand new dark blue Nexon owner, forgot his name. I was scared after I bought the Zest a lot of Tata dealers switched to Hyuandai and other auto companies back then, so they did come back from the stashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
It was probably an official accessory as far as I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Yeah, same question. The addition of Extra seat in the Rear as an accessory violates the RC for number of passengers, right ? (Assuming that it states 5).
Yes, the seat is more like an attachment you can take it off very easily. If challenged you are probably on the other side of the law. But, I guess it's not that great a solution either to the problem at the end of day. If the kid is too big he won't fit and may be pretty awkward for him to sit for a longer duration. If the kid is too small it simply may be a difficult place to manage on a moving vehicle for the little one.

Quote:
Wish you many Happy Miles.
Thank you hope I can enjoy worry free no EMI days.

Quote:
What I have found as a solution to this frustration is to use a USB 3.0 Male to Female extension plug.
Yes, indeed, that will solve the reach issue, but did you face any issue with Android auto on doing that? Android Auto seems to be a pretty unstable implementation at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Excellent ownership log Arindam! You intersperse it with your personal notes and it makes for such a warm and enjoyable reading.

The Nexon is a well sorted product and was absolutely fantastic VFM when launched. I think you have a winner on your hands so keep her as long as you can till we shift over to EVs.

Beautiful pictures as well. Loved the kiddos!
Thanks digitalnirvana, for all your appreciations! Yes, Nexon's not going anywhere soon, I plan to grow older with it. Shifting to EV is definitely on the cards for most I guess, but still some time before the batteries and chargers are ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abg View Post
Beautiful car, beautiful pictures!

Nexon is a great looking car especially in this color.

It was a pleasure to read through your review. Wish you many more happy miles with your beauty!
Thanks abg, for showering all that praise! I'm really glad you read through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Wonderful review.

I have seen all your cars and I must say the way you take care and maintain all of them, it's something to learn from. Your attention to the minutest of the details are just amazing. Rated a well deserved 5*.
Thanks Bro!
Yes! these two kind of grew up together! Zest and Etios also had their shares of playful days. Lets hope that list keeps growing forever! Thanks for sharing all those pictures, very fond memories, each of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
It was wonderful to read about your experience with Tata cars Arindam. Great to know that it was all nice and they never let you down.

Happy miles!
Thanks abhi_tjet,
Yes the Indica petrol version faired much better, I hope your Tiago is doing fabulous, do share your ownership of the same.
arindam_xeta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 22:10   #14
BHPian

Awesome thread sir, especially loved the flow to your writing. Wishing you a lot of happy miles with the Nexon and the Hexa. By the way, you chose the perfect name for the Hexa. It is indeed an elephant.
Old 19th September 2022, 11:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. From another 2007 indica owner !
I'm still sticking with mine because I'm abroad half the time and i have no idea when I'll need to go next, so I've shied away from buying a new car.

Though in the US after experiencing Japanese reliability, I'm hooked. My other car (for when the indica is on one of its workshop pilgrimages) is an etios liva and probably will stick to them unless they start comprising on safety. Despite my dire warnings, a bunch of my relatives have bought Tata cars and they seem happy with them, so guess things are better - looks like you're a fan. You must have sa really good service center there
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks