Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2021, 20:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
Congratulations on your pre-worshipped S-Cross!
Wishing you safe million drives and endless enjoyment with 1.6L mill
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Congratulations on the S-Cross 1.6. S-Cross 1.6 is indeed a lovely car and quite rare to find in the used car market as you mentioned. However, if one finds a clean example, it makes a great sense to buy it.

Lovely trip and a great report. S-Cross 1.6 is a perfect car for touring the country. Great for long distance trips and bad roads. Wish you many more happy miles with this car.
Thanks doc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Congratulations, @Ninjatalli, on going with your heart. I remember you were debating between an almost new WRV and this option and many would have advised you not to consider this "remapped" option.Yes, it is a gamble to go in for a car that has sold less, an engine in which some issues were reported, but make no mistake - this is the only Maruti Suzuki other than the Swift that appeals to spirited drivers; plus it is built like a tank. For me, @Dr.Naren and @Laluks are the two reference points for the S-Cross.
Thank you! I wasn't aware @laluks had a S-Cross too! @Dr.Naren has been constant point of contact throughout the process. Owe him a beer next time we meet up for sure!

Quote:
I attach a lot of importance to this aspect. However, while I fit the above to the T as a seller, I haven't come across a single seller of this kind this far.
Agree. In fact, he had judiciously maintained all fuel bills over the last 5+ years too! Hard to find someone who did that (I stopped after a year )

Ironically when I sold my Vento, the OLX Cashmycar were least interested in all the documentation and bills I had saved. What a pity!

Quote:
The green Certified Non Polluting Vehicle sticker on the front windscreen is an important tell-tale indicator on a used car. Windscreens are typically replaced either due to damage OR due to excessive swirl marks. I hope your car's offers clear visibility in nights.
No issues at all.

Quote:
1. Low seats - just use a cuboidal cushion and you'll be fine. I was using one on the Corolla because I felt I was sitting low even at the highest position of the seat after adjustment.

2. Music set up - just put in component speakers (budget and brand is your choice) in the front and rear and experience the difference. Later, if you really feel the need, go for a new Head Unit.

3. Wiper noise - replace the blades with MGP blades. DO NOT go with Bosch.

4. Window beading noise - use Wuerth rubber spray in the window channels and see the difference. You can also get the channels removed, cleaned and refitted and then do the rubber spray treatment.

5. Rear wiper - I've maintained that this is a must have on a hatchback or SUV. S-Cross Delta started featuring this after the facelift, but I think you won't be able to retrofit one because the rear glass needs a change first. An option is to drill a hole in the boot lid and retrofit a Celerio or Wagon R's unit. I think Maruti would have provided the wiring harness till the rear since Zeta and Alpha of then used to sport the rear wiper.
Thanks - will look into these!

Quote:
6. Gear shifting slip - cause of concern. Are you saying it slips out after you slot the lever in 5 or 6?
No, the slip/hesitation was prior to slotting it in gear 5 or 6, and only those two gears. Something on the lines of what @govigov has mentioned in his S-Cross PMS 110 servicing. But that was a one ride experience, I plan to validate this again on an upcoming Chennai trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Congratulations!! I am sure you are enjoying the pre-worshipped S-Cross 1.6.
I have removed the badges and loving the clean look. It's a humble 1.3 DDIS 90 HP at first sight
Thanks doc! In agreement with you completely - will be taking them off soon.

Quote:
Thanks to the Wolf remap, the sudden kick is not present. As the low end is increased and power delivery is linear with Wolf, the kick is almost non existent. Turbo Kick might feel addictive, but the linear power delivery makes the car actually faster and more driveable too. Heck, even my stage 3 tuned 1.6 doesn't have mad kick like stock.
True - I was being pedantic over there. The lag and rush is a pain in bumper to bumper traffic, especially for someone who isn't fully used to these cars. I'll take a linear power delivery any day over the sudden rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
@Ninjatalli : Congratulations!
Thanks for your feedback on Wolf remap. I rest further assured.
Awesome! Happy to hear that. And yes, the wolf remap is worth it completely. Go for stage 2 (feedback from multiple folks including @Dr.Naren, only an additional ~4k for stage 2 over stage 1).

Quote:
BTW, we picked our Brownie up with 30k on theclock
Awesome! And here I was thinking @benzinblut was the only pre-owned 1.6 S-Cross on the forum! Nice color though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
I never noticed this. But I've spent very little time at the back

Wishing you many happy miles with a super star.
Thank you! And yes, I can relate to that. I sat in the rear seats of my Vento in probably the 4th or 5th year of ownership. I doubt the situation will change in this car

Let me know your experience, if you get to try it out in your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguisuku View Post
Could not conclude a right deal yet but still hoping to own one.

If you never mind, could you please PM me what is the price you have paid?
No need for PMs - I can share here.
I paid 6.25L for it. From the limited details I have, another S-Cross owner paid ~8L for a 2016 (I think) model in Chennai with 40k kms on it.

Hope that helps for your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Thanks for the detailed write-up. I am on the fence about getting an S-Cross 1.6. Have come across a clean example which has run around 27,000 kms and it's a genuine 1.6 (saw a couple of fakes too) but this is the Delta variant which means there's no touchscreen, no CC, no projectors and I think no alloys as well. Touchscreen and alloys can be sorted but I've heard not-so-good things about the stock halogens and all in all, would need to spend around a lakh over the purchase price to get these bare basics installed. The asking price is 7.45 which can be brought down but not sure what's a fair price.
Yes your 1L estimate is about right, assuming everything else is in good shape. As for the stock halogens, they are crap, definitely better to replace them.

7.45L for 27k kms seems a tad bit high, especially for Mumbai. But check on the other aspects (service records, condition, etc.). I'd be a bit concerned on the lower mileage more than the price.

After I got my car, I saw two other Alpha 1.6 ads in Bangalore, one with 66k and second with ~25k kms; with a price tag of 8.5L and 9.5L respectively. No idea what they finally went for though. Have shared the above price

Quote:
the S-Cross' engine has a lot more tuning potential (almost 320d numbers) which is what's tempting me.
438NM actually - that's @Dr.Naren's car for you if you need more details.
Quote:
What's the service interval, standard 1 year? What kind of driving range are you getting on a full tank?
1 year service interval or 10k kms. Too early to start evaluating mileage, but on a recent 1300km trip with some spirited driving, I got ~16 kmph.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 23:09   #17
BHPian

re: My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Awesome! And here I was thinking @benzinblut was the only pre-owned 1.6 S-Cross on the forum! Nice color though!
A nice thread and hello from another owner of a pre-worshipped S-Cross 1.6 White in the Zeta version.

I picked it up from BHP'ian Mi10 who was going to buy the Tiago JTP.

This one has a Code 6 remap that pushes 140bhp and around (slightly less than) 400 nm torque. Rest are stock. I changed tyres to Michelin P4ST. Headlamps upgraded to 100/90 bulbs with relay.

The throttle response with Shell diesel is very strong and hence using only PSU oil.

Mine seems to like IOC Diesel very much and shows 20+kmpl (MID) at 110~110kmph on highways. Full tank to full tank was 17kmpl. 5th gear and 80 to 100 kmph gives the best mileage. Once I got 25kmpl (MID) on Chennai- Kanchipuram stretch. That was an early morning drive (4am start) with very few braking needs and moderate speeds. FE actually seems drop slightly when engaging 6th gear at 100+ speeds.

Tyre pressure at 33 gives you an almost flat ride. 34 is in between the flat and bouncy ride but tradeoff is good mileage. 35 or 36 results in a very bouncy ride.

Body roll is definitely there. As a driver you don't realise it and compensate for the same sub consciously.

Mi10's thread is here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...date-sold.html (Crossbreed® | Mi10's Maruti S-Cross 1.6 DDiS 320 - Remapped! Update: Sold!)
pugram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 08:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
A nice thread and hello from another owner of a pre-worshipped S-Cross 1.6 White in the Zeta version.

I picked it up from BHP'ian Mi10 who was going to buy the Tiago JTP.
Excellent! Good to see a bunch of us out here! Was this recent? How long have you been owning it?

Quote:

Tyre pressure at 33 gives you an almost flat ride. 34 is in between the flat and bouncy ride but tradeoff is good mileage. 35 or 36 results in a very bouncy ride.
Interesting! I never observed such minor increases to have such difference. Will try at my end and experience the ride. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Body roll is definitely there. As a driver you don't realise it and compensate for the same sub consciously.
Aha. Did you also come from a sedan /or a well planted hatchback prior to this? I feel the existing owners of S-Cross might be those who have already got used to such crossovers and hence not noticing it.
Old 14th August 2021, 09:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Excellent! Good to see a bunch of us out here! Was this recent? How long have you been owning it?
I have been owning this car from Feb 2019. When I got it, the Odo was at 38xxx km and is now at 53xxx km. Not much running primarily due to Covid situation. Never felt the need to have an ownership thread as we have a Bible for the S-Cross as in Dr.Narens thread

Please do check out on the tyre pressures / fuel and get back whenever possible.

Fuel - it feels strange but I am 100% sure my car loves IOC Diesel. With HP and BP diesel the mileage in MID hovers around 19.5. The moment you fill her up with IOC Diesel you can notice the MID indicated efficiency rising above 20 and most of the time settled around 22+. This is at highways and with speeds around 110~120kmph. I am a sedate driver who travels with family 99% of the time. My occassional speed runs happen in a 3~4 km straight stretch of cordoned off bridge in Perambalur on the Chennai Trichy highway . By the time I exit the bridge I am at 80kmph.

My previously owned cars were sedans 1. Peugeot 309 GLD and 2. Logan 1.5 DLE.

The Peugeot did not have power steering so used to be heavy at City speeds. On highway speeds you could twirl the steering with two fingers and the car will track your inputs truly. Great feedback from the steering too. That car used to ride flat.

Logan also had an EPAS which also gave a good feedback. I felt the Logan also drove flat.

I have also driven an Indigo Diesel extensively with the longest drive being from Mumbai to Chennai (2 drivers, the other one being my cousin, owner of the car) Steering feedback was not good and centre was not well defined.

So compared to these cars I found the S-Cross to have some body roll when going around curvy roads. This can be managed by reducing speeds to suit the road conditions. Our NH/GQ roads do not have the banking right to carry higher speeds into curves
pugram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 05:59   #20
BHPian

@ninjatalli
Congrats on your scross 1.6d and thanks for sharing your experience, it was a useful read.

I am inspired by reading some nice threads on this vehicle and I am considering going for the model.

You are very right in saying there are a many 1.3 posted as 1.6 for sale.

I could find only 4 scross 1.6 in Mumbai used car market.

The cheapest one having near 90k kms on the odometer and 2015 Zeta model. I was not considered it but after reading your thread would be considering it.

Please let me know if maruti has any pre purchase inspection service and how is the availability of engine related spares for this vehicle
saurabh_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 09:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh_v8 View Post
@ninjatalli

I could find only 4 scross 1.6 in Mumbai used car market.
Gujarat (Surat and nearby cities) has a lot of options available too. And much better priced too IIRC. I had started looking back then itself when I was earlier in Mumbai but decided against it as I had too little time.

If I had more time in Mumbai, I would have probably opted for that route, assuming I could get a mechanic (or a competent Maruti service station) in that city and get the NOC as part of the agreement.

Quote:
Please let me know if maruti has any pre purchase inspection service and how is the availability of engine related spares for this vehicle
Don't think there's a specific service for the S-Cross but they do offer an inspection service for any of the cars from the Maruti stable. Talk to them in advance and that should work out easily.

Too early for me to talk about spares & availability, but basis feedback from other S-Cross owners, this isn't really a big concern at all, as the S-Cross 1.3 was sold in tens of thousands if not more. Plus the current 1.5L model is still in production so there shouldn't be anything to worry about.
Old 18th August 2021, 23:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
3. Music setup
The stock speakers are utter crap. The previous owner definitely wasn't an audiohead - dunno how he survived on these for the last 6 years. I'm still on the fence with regards to the HU (Pioneer 5290 & JVC 740 come to mind), but the speakers are definitely undergoing an upgrade. (Note: Noob alert, need to reach out to the experts for advice!)
Congratulations. Heard a lot of good things about the 1.6. As far as the speaker upgrades go, I went for JL Audio C1 650x Components in the front and C1 650 co axials in the rear with Dr Artex damping on all 4 doors and an Infinity Basslink Mini under sear subwoofer in my Brezza. I kid you not, it sounds better (not louder) than my 2014 Q5's audio system. Worth considering if you want to keep the stock HU and don't want an Amplifier

Last edited by BlackPearl : 19th August 2021 at 00:15. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks
Sumer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 02:46   #23
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned SCross - The Smaller yet significant points

Quote:
The Case for a Pre-owned SCross 1.6
Wow!! Congratulations Ninjatalli!!

Our thought processes match quite a lot it seems or they are maturing similarly. After my Vento, SCross comes as good alternative for me too.

I don't want to spend too much on next purchase, because well, I can't.
The car usage has gone down and in general the pleasure that I used to draw from driving is going down a bit as well. Overcrowded cities and highways don't help the cause too. Plus I think buying a new vehicle has become so much more expensive than lets say 5-7 years back. The value proposition has gone down at least for me with the reduced usage.

I might look for used options too and a used Maruti is so much a safer bet than lets say a used VW. Plus I really like the size of Scross, its just right for our families. From what I hear, it has mature ride and handling too.

Wishing you many happy kms with her!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 07:26   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pre-owned SCross - The Smaller yet significant points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumer View Post
Congratulations. Heard a lot of good things about the 1.6. As far as the speaker upgrades go, I went for JL Audio C1 650x Components in the front and C1 650 co axials in the rear with Dr Artex damping on all 4 doors and an Infinity Basslink Mini under sear subwoofer in my Brezza.
Thank you. I'll take that into consideration for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post

I might look for used options too and a used Maruti is so much a safer bet than lets say a used VW. Plus I really like the size of Scross, its just right for our families. From what I hear, it has mature ride and handling too.
Excellent! All the best in your search. Let me know if you need any help. Northern parts of India has them going at a much lower prices that what is available in Bangalore so you should be able to find VFM options for sure.

It's a perfect upgrade if one isn't picky about moving up the segments and rather focused to the core aspects of the car.

And yes, honestly it just doesn't really make a good case to go full bang and buy a new car these days. A very good friend recently got the Creta, paying more than double than me and it was an interesting discussion when she saw what I got. Not saying this is better, but with the limited running both of us have, the brand new car was unnecessary.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 09:40   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Drive to Chennai and back

With the parent(a) visiting, a trip to Chennai was on the cards. So finally we could get to check out a few minor aspects of the car more thoroughly

1. Back seat feedback over a long drive
2. Riding on a fully loaded car with atleast 3 adults and loads of luggage

The route via Krishnagiri was an uneventful aspect - been here and done that numerous times. Surprisingly, no checks at Attibele even though we were already ready with our fully vaccinated certificates.

The wife took over after the snacks break and I got on the back seat over the next ~150 kms to check out the back seat feedback over straight and curvy roads at 3-digit speeds.

The car doesn't feel planted as much as a sedan (or my previous ride the Vento). Even at sub-100 speeds over minor turns, there's a bit of body roll. Need to figure out if this is a single car issue or a model issue (do similar rides on other S-Cross).

As for pt 2, the car comes out with blazing guns. On the return we had piled it up near high with loads of luggage including a road bike and drove it at high speeds over near empty highways and the car took it flawlessly.

On a side note, a difference in riding capabilities observed yesterday
a) wife driving : ~150 kms - ~4 hours
b) my driving : ~200 kms - ~2 hours

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-20210819_164839.jpg
the default stop at Murugan idli for midway snacks

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-img20210822wa0006.jpg
a masked up Swift under test?

My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-img20210822wa0000.jpg
and the masked up XUV700 on the return drive

PMS 100 service coming up next! Let's see what all troubles the car is hiding under that hood
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 12:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the 1.6, I have a white 1.6 Alpha 2016 with close to 75k on the odo. On the issue with shifting from 5th to 6, get the shifter linkages and pins looked into. During my first service, I was unable to shift from 5th to 6th which was later diagnosed as a slipped pin, or the linkages might just need some greasing. Get this looked into, pretty sure its a minor issue.
Attached Thumbnails
My Silver Maruti S-Cross 1.6 Review | A pre-owned fun experiment | EDIT: 100,000 km up-unnamed.jpeg  

Last edited by rakesh_r : 23rd August 2021 at 12:27.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 07:23   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
On the issue with shifting from 5th to 6, get the shifter linkages and pins looked into. During my first service, I was unable to shift from 5th to 6th which was later diagnosed as a slipped pin, or the linkages might just need some greasing. Get this looked into, pretty sure its a minor issue.
Ah thank you. Surprisingly I didn’t face it again on the recent Chennai trip so I’m going to observe this for a while. I’ll ask them to check on it in the next service just in case.
Old 24th August 2021, 07:35   #28
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations ninjatalli!

I was waiting for the SCross 1.6 to hit the used car market with lucrative deals! Your steed looks to be in great shape. The mods on top are like an icing on the cake.

I remember a close friend picking up a used SCross 1.6 from Kerala. The car was Pune registered and had all the bells and whistles to go with it: remap, alloys, upgraded music system, etc. It had barely done something around 20-30k on the odo. This guy picked it up for ~8L which is half the original retail. On his drive back from Kerala, he was thrilled beyond his expectations and was all praises for the car.

My 1.6 has done a shade less than 50k in the last 5 years. Thanks to the lockdown and reduced driving, it hasn't seen as much action as any of my previous cars. But, each time I am in the drivers seat on the highway, it pretty much makes up for lost time. It can munch miles without skipping a beat and has that crazy cruising capability without making the passengers feel uncomfortable. Mine is a keeper and I'm sure you plan to have a long inning with it too.

I'm sure Naren has shared the holy grail of SCross maintenance PDF with you. I am yet to come across an encyclopaedia that defines every single maintenance aspect of the car as descriptively as the creator of that document has done.

Congratulations once again and enjoy the torque!

EDIT: Attaching the brilliant wiki for you reference.

1.6 wiki MINI.pdf

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th August 2021 at 08:54.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 10:44   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Congratulations ninjatalli!

I was waiting for the SCross 1.6 to hit the used car market with lucrative deals! Your steed looks to be in great shape. The mods on top are like an icing on the cake.
I remember a close friend picking up a used SCross 1.6 from Kerala. The car was Pune registered and had all the bells and whistles to go with it: remap, alloys, upgraded music system, etc. It had barely done something around 20-30k on the odo.

My 1.6 has done a shade less than 50k in the last 5 years.
Thank you! Seems like the forum is filled with 1.6 owners And your friend got a nice deal - considering he purchased a Pune car in Kerala, I'm sure he could negotiate a nice price.

Still exploring & figuring out the fun I'm going to have with this vehicle! In addition to than that wiki, Dr.Naren's car is one that shows how & where one could probably spend modifying the car (if s/he has the funds to spare).

Ah well, any mods if any I eventually pick up are going to be reserved for next year.
Old 30th August 2021, 10:18   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Insurance woes | Tata AIG

So the RC transfer went through effortlessly with a rough time line of ~4 weeks. The only thing then remaining was to get the insurance transferred. Easy peasy, you'd think? So did we.

But Tata AIG had different plans it seemed. We called them up to understand the process. We were told the instant transfer window (14 days from sale) had passed so an inspection was required before the transfer could be initiated. No issues, we complied. Sent them soft copies of the RC and other documentation and waited.

A few days passed and no response. Calls back to their customer care got us responses that the case was escalated and someone would reach out to us in 24 - 48 hours. This cycle continues for another week with atleast 2 additional iterations, with us tweeting about it now but no change in their response. It had been now 10 days since we sent the documents and no inspection details coming through. I put a query on the Insurance thread but got no reply to that.

Let's stonk up the volume shall we? Looked up the management of the firm, figured out the email ids of the CEO and Consumer Division head and shot them nice (I was extremely polite) emails detailing our ordeal, on top of the trail email discussions, and keeping in cc the customer support team. This was on Friday evening, I even got an out-of-office reply from the CEO saying he will be back on Monday.

Now that definitely set the cat among the pigeons. Things then immediately swung into action. An extremely polite deputy manager from the Customer Grievance Redressal team was assigned to me and he followed up on every next step to the end. The virtual inspection link was shared within two hours of my sending out that email, and the same was completed on Saturday. Payment done a short while later and the insurance was finally transferred, just about a day after I sent out the emails. Clearly they wanted to get this sorted before the CEO was back from his leave Its unfortunate to take this type of action for such a minor activity (insurance transfer) especially with a firm like Tata AIG which is generally considered one of the better firms of the motor insurance industry. Hopefully their service is much better if the need arises for a claim going forward.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks