Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2007, 14:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
The maximum speed that engine can provide and the maximum geared speed is different I believe.
Yes it is different - each gear has a different RPM limit.

Quote:
I do agree regarding the calibration limit of the speedometer. I think we should not believe anything thats shown beyond the 150KMPH!
Speak for yourself - mine does a genuine 160+. Like I said, dont ask me how

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th August 2007 at 14:21.
Old 9th August 2007, 14:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

You guys slipstream your safari to reach 160kmph
Old 9th August 2007, 15:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Speak for yourself - mine does a genuine 160+. Like I said, dont ask me how
ECU-remap, I don't dare touching that until I finish the Warranty period!

The other option left to me to beat you (for the max speed) is to drive my machine to a hilltop and drive down in 143KMPH then shift to neutral. I will get this type of geography a lot at my place!
Old 9th August 2007, 20:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ECU-remap, I don't dare touching that until I finish the Warranty period!

The other option left to me to beat you (for the max speed) is to drive my machine to a hilltop and drive down in 143KMPH then shift to neutral. I will get this type of geography a lot at my place!
ECU-remap ??? for Safari.. Havent heard of it as of now. (all stock)

No slip-stream either (it would be like cheating D)..See a straight wide open strech ...steadily gather pace till 140 (expressway) and then take it across to MAX
Old 10th August 2007, 13:38   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
ECU-remap ??? for Safari.. Havent heard of it as of now. (all stock)
Fine Rahul, All these days I was believing that we can get the ECU remap done 'even' for Safari! Is there anything limiting us doing so (other than warranty!). In worst cases we can get the band raised for rev limiter for 5th gear. I think its not as simple as I thought after reading a post from viper regarding the remaps. (Couldn't search and find the post now)

Quote:
No slip-stream either (it would be like cheating D)..See a straight wide open strech ...steadily gather pace till 140 (expressway) and then take it across to MAX
If I understand you correctly- just reach the magic number 140 'steadily' then go further (yes on an expressway). But again the rev-limiter will block the fuel injection once the engine RPM reaches the limit isn't so? I may be wrong and may be there is some technics that you know but not me! Did I furnish my doubt clearly?

Last edited by binoy_tharakan : 10th August 2007 at 13:39.
Old 10th August 2007, 13:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But again the rev-limiter will block the fuel injection once the engine RPM reaches the limit isn't so?
Well, it doesn't. I've briefly taken mine to what the speedo showed as in excess of 150 but a little below 160 once on a stretch between Rajpura & Zirakpur, didn't get enough road to test beyond that. Definitely need Expressway conditions & good ones at that where no vehicles on the wrong side coming towards you or bikers or cyclists or tractors - what an endless wishlist
Old 10th August 2007, 15:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I understand you correctly- just reach the magic number 140 'steadily' then go further (yes on an expressway).
A piece of advise, dont do this in your runin period.
If I were you, then Id try these stuff well past first service. Get to know the road which is appropiate for these serious speeds. More importantly you need to get familiar with the handlings dynamics of this 2+tonner. It took me 3-4 months to get used to the lenght and width dynamicsof my safari..

I always thought that ECU was coded to block serious speeds & RPM limit until 5-6k If i am wrong

Thanks

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 10th August 2007 at 15:34. Reason: Spelling Corrections
Old 10th August 2007, 16:25   #53
BHPian

Quote:
A piece of advise, dont do this in your runin period.
If I were you, then Id try these stuff well past first service. Get to know the road which is appropiate for these serious speeds. More importantly you need to get familiar with the handlings dynamics of this 2+tonner. It took me 3-4 months to get used to the lenght and width dynamicsof my safari..

I always thought that ECU was coded to block serious speeds & RPM limit until 5-6k If i am wrong

Thanks
I have done 7000+ Kms in 5 months! First service is done at 5200Kms at the dealer place itself. I used to drive Tata 407 for during first job (to transport Base stations for Mobile communication-Though I was an engineer by designation at that time!) But I completely agree with you that there is nothing other than time that can make a driver better handler of any vehicle. Thanks for your suggestions and support- I love to talk to all who love the machines!
Old 10th August 2007, 16:28   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, it doesn't. I've briefly taken mine to what the speedo showed as in excess of 150 but a little below 160 once on a stretch between Rajpura & Zirakpur, didn't get enough road to test beyond that. Definitely need Expressway conditions & good ones at that where no vehicles on the wrong side coming towards you or bikers or cyclists or tractors - what an endless wishlist
Thanks Suman, happy that I am getting good suggestions from seniors. I think I will get good stretches on my way and can try this!

TBHP and the folks here really rocks.
Old 10th August 2007, 16:53   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I will get good stretches on my way and can try this!
Yes, do that but (as pointed out already), NOT TILL YOUR ENGINE IS RUN IN. For the first 1,500 kms, do not exceed 100kmph
Old 10th August 2007, 17:07   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Yes, do that but (as pointed out already), NOT TILL YOUR ENGINE IS RUN IN. For the first 1,500 kms, do not exceed 100kmph
suman my man!binoy's mentioned he's clocked over 7000 kays.
diagnosis:you are over-worked.
prescription:extra bacardi for you tomorrow.....cheers:
Old 10th August 2007, 17:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
suman my man!binoy's mentioned he's clocked over 7000 kays.
diagnosis:you are over-worked.
prescription:extra bacardi for you tomorrow.....cheers:
you are dead right! I think I need to start on the Bacardi NOW
Old 10th August 2007, 17:28   #58
BHPian

Is there any rattling on the safari. A tata guy told me that it is the only problem with the vehicle.
Old 11th August 2007, 00:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Gents

When you see the speeds 'climbing' from 140 to over 150 like you've mentioned, please check your tacho - it doesnt move...what you're talking about is possible on a gentle downward slope (not perceptible) and you will notice that the RPM is STUCK at about 2,300.

Therefore the engine is really not going faster.

I wasnt talking about this 'method'.
Old 11th August 2007, 02:51   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Gents

When you see the speeds 'climbing' from 140 to over 150 like you've mentioned, please check your tacho - it doesnt move...what you're talking about is possible on a gentle downward slope (not perceptible) and you will notice that the RPM is STUCK at about 2,300.

Therefore the engine is really not going faster.

I wasnt talking about this 'method'.
Agreed. I have heard of people claiming to have crossed 165! but have come back saying rpm needle was struck to 2300rpm.

Fact is the stock engine management system for Dicor prohibits anything over 2300rpm due to various reasons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks