Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2007, 18:15   #121
Senior - BHPian

I have driven Swift VDi and i dont feel there is too much turbo lag, its there but you can live with it.
Old 29th April 2007, 18:23   #122
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

There is no turbo lag if you stay at the right rpm's in the right gears .. Yes , if feel a lot of turbo lag if you are in 3rd gear instead of being in 2nd and so on .. And what incredible mileage the freaking engine gives .. 4 people in the car did about 100kms trip around the town almost staying in the turbo band all throughout .. Dont think the car guzzled more than 150 bucks diesel .. Which is close to getting 20kmpl .. This with a feeling of getting pushed back into the seat when the turbo kicks in ?? Its a cheap mans thrill (when you cant afford a turbo petrol) .. But this is not the car to learn your driving on , like my aunt is .. Its bloody dangerous ..

With the pete's kit in , just cant wait to drive a car to see what that does !!!!!
Old 29th April 2007, 18:57   #123
Team-BHP Support

Drove this car today. Frankly, didn't feel that turbo lag. Jaggu's car has done only 750km and I kept it within 2000-3500 rpm range.

Sure footed. Feels solid (surely because of tyres also). Great A/C. Looks damn good.

Few pictures of her. May be her first forum visit.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th April 2007 at 19:25.
Old 29th April 2007, 18:59   #124
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I dont know if its a problem with my monitor or not, the pics look quite dark to me. In the first pic i cant make out the right front tyre border.
Old 29th April 2007, 19:04   #125
Team-BHP Support

What's the yellow stickering on the A-pillar?

Rudraji excellent pictures. where is this place?
Old 29th April 2007, 19:19   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
I dont know if its a problem with my monitor or not, the pics look quite dark to me. In the first pic i cant make out the right front tyre border.
dceite, I understand what you're saying. There's no problem with your monitor but my judgement. My monitor shows huge shadow details because it's meant for that kind of work.

I'm pushing the tonal curve more and linking them back soon. It may take a while depending on imageshack's mood. However, you may not see that right front tyre border. Spot metering was used to tone down that pearl white colour. 11 am is not the right time to shoot cars for sure.

@vid6639. It was a village road in Mulbagal. That sticker is rally forum sticker. Jaggu can tell more about it.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th April 2007 at 20:23.
Old 29th April 2007, 20:36   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
dceite, I understand what you're saying. There's no problem with your monitor but my judgement. My monitor shows huge shadow details because it's meant for that kind of work.

I'm pushing the tonal curve more and linking them back soon. It may take a while depending on imageshack's mood. However, you may not see that right front tyre border. Spot metering was used to tone down that pearl white colour. 11 am is not the right time to shoot cars for sure.

@vid6639. It was a village road in Mulbagal. That sticker is rally forum sticker. Jaggu can tell more about it.
awesome pictures...these pcitures has really put me in dilemma. i have booked a Azure grey VDi and i dont think that color gives such looks. but anyway i have to live with my decision as changing color in the middle of waiting period will again reset my waiting period and it all starts again from day 0 :(
Old 29th April 2007, 21:54   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
your turbo lag could be more pronounced since your staying at a high altitude so the drop in power must be resulting in the engine stalling as it is being starved of air.

Just a theory by my logic not sure if that would really be the cause.
thats definately a factor but not so much @5500ft i.e the altitude that i stay.. that is commonly seen @ 8000 FT AND ABOVE.and that happens with all the cars not just turbodiesels.
Old 29th April 2007, 23:17   #129
BHPian

how do you felt it over 120 kms/hour ?
Old 30th April 2007, 00:11   #130
Team-BHP Support

Matured enough to make a review now.

800 kms and now i feel that i can write something that will justify real life experience of living with a Diesel Swift.

Rewind: I have driven and lived with diesel cars before, though my first preference any day would be a Petrol engined car (especially at that point of time) first experience is with an amby with the "Matador" engine, drove whole of south india in this car (3000 kms round trip with a single puncture and broken sump) in one go.

Point to be noted is that the whole trip started off with 10k Rs Suspension/steering and gear box work and at the end of the trip landed with the same job.

This car was upgraded to a ISZ 2000 diesel engine towards the end of its tenure with us and that really was an introduction for me to a new-age diesel.
Next experience (which was substantial and left an impression) was that of a Qualis, naturally aspirated motor and boy oh boy thats one very understated motor. Ok there is no point in comparing the Merc Diesel's while at this so i will fast fwd to 2007.

Requirement is that of a daily commuter which is frugal but never could make up my mind coz everything that i test drove was pitched against that 1.6 L iKON.

Wifee was patient enough to try all the Aveo's, Citys, Fiestas, Uvas and Vernas of the world with me. Swift petrol as i mentioned earlier, i had done a great deal of "living in" with her. But nothing really could tip the scales to say "SELL THE iKON" until that monday when i test drove the green swift diesel.

Again fast forward to today, after a long wait i finally managed to get her to stretch her legs a lil Swift Diesel ie. This is a very different machine on the open roads, you need some familiarizing thats it! For a matured driver like Rudra, its takes as long as 5 mts and to some one else it might take lil longer, that should help settle the "Turbo lag" argument.

As i see it, for a common joe its difficult, you need some experience starting off with some carb'ed engine's (make it tons of them) all aluminium fast rewing ones to low rewing high torque ones and then moving on to Fuel injected engined cars to understand how a throttle is really related to the acceleration of a car.

You are not in the US of A with muscle cars which will actually twist the chassis when you floor the throttle, rather in a country where the muck on the road will let the OE tyres slip and slide sideways before letting the car gather momentum.

And hence one genuine advice to all Diesel Swift buyers!! Upgrade those tyers, 14 inch 15 inch ( Size does matter lol) BUT its the 195 width that matters!!!

So once you get the basics correct you are ready to explore further, my comparison point will always be the iKON 1.6 L which i lived with all of 7 years.

Brakes:they are just brilliant (after i upgraded my foot wear), before that i was not at all impressed coz they were waiting to slide.

Handling: chassis is tight, jack up one of the tyres than ideal and you will find out.. and thats first sign of a taught chassis. Design is robust and re-assuring. Very re-assuring and i repeat very go-kartish i did some good twist and turn's at high speed which could easily convince wifee to put on the seat belts (Unlike the iKON which leaves a lil bit of surprise which is major fun factor accoridng to me). Yes heavier front compared to Petrol swift with stiffer suspension helps.

Acceleration: Its Torque, and this is why i still feel that i went for this car, (yes from idle i miss my iKON but not that much also.. that i miss it all together)

After driving the swift D for 700 odd kms, my musing is as follows:

once you get the hang of the motor you will not miss anything compared to a petrol car when it comes to acceleration. And trust me you virtually leave all the tail gaiters guessing on how the car ahead of them left them at a tight spot at overtaking.

Hard fact.. It was difficult for me to adjust back to a Petrol car after i was seasoned with this T-Diesel, Crv am referring to.

And last but not the least, MILEAGE or KMs/Liter: City... second check i got 15 kmpl and in todays long run (190 kms) my guess is around 20 kmpl, which i will confirm by tomorrow morning when i fill up, for the forum facts sake

@ Rudra from Mee: "Thanks for making Snow white look more attractive"

and yes i woke up at 19:30 hrs after the lunch!!

PS:The sticker on A pillar is of a forum by one of my close friends and is dedicated to indian rally scene.

Last edited by ported_head : 30th April 2007 at 15:21.
Old 30th April 2007, 00:31   #131
BHPian

Nice car - nice color, Congrats Jaggu!
And some excellent photographs by Mr. Rudra there!

Dceite - Maybe you should try calibrating your monitor for better results - unless the detail is entirely lost in the pic, you might be able to see the shades
Old 30th April 2007, 00:41   #132
HSV
BHPian

Wow, thats a great review. And BTW, love the pictures. Very well done indeed. Hats off to Rudra!
Old 30th April 2007, 00:49   #133
BHPian

I don't know if it's because of stiff suspension or anything else, but this car is pure delight in taking corners at high speed. In my usual city drive i don't get too much of open road but the stretch of New Delhi roads which includes lots of round about, i had fun turning the car without applying brakes. No drifting by car, no rolling . Even the passenger in back seat won't notice that turn was taken in such high speed.

Just a question about tyre upsizing. I have stock tyres. Does changing the tyre to Michelin Energy XM-1 in 195/65-14 or Potenza G-III in bridgestone , also involves changing the rims ?
Old 30th April 2007, 05:54   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_speedster View Post
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum. I picked up my VDi on 25th april. Was a very auspicious day for me :P ! Although Bimal in Indiranagar made sure that i would have awful memories of the delivery of my first car ! They pressured me to hurry my payment up but delivered the car more than 2 months after i booked it.
Aditya
Hey Aditya,
Congratulations!
When did you book the car? I booked for silver VDI at RNS motors, Hosture road on Feb24th and need to wait till May End.
Old 30th April 2007, 08:59   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Drove this car today. Frankly, didn't feel that turbo lag. Jaggu's car has done only 750km and I kept it within 2000-3500 rpm range.

Sure footed. Feels solid (surely because of tyres also). Great A/C. Looks damn good.

Few pictures of her. May be her first forum visit.
Hello rudra, nice pics there. from your profile you seem to be an expert photographer (with those huge lenses and all )
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks