Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2007, 00:03   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Diesel diet really increases your running and please keep this in mind when you decide Petrol vs Diesel. It indeed is a fact.
Welcome to our world. Have just crossed 700kms two days back...will cover about a 100km this week...after that the real running begins.

Drifter
Old 23rd April 2007, 01:17   #107
BHPian

hello guys
got delivery of my white Swift Ldi today. no dealer in NCR was ready to give delivery before two months, so had to get it from Panipat, haryana. we reached early in morning to showroom, but still it took time because of loads of paperwork involved in finanacing. Banking and financing was a new experience for me.
the prices of MGA were exhorbitant and the options were not that much.had only Body Side Moulding , bumper moulding , mud flaps and a digital clock installed. i like the contrast the car gets black moulding on white body.for the same reason i didn't go for the change of body couloured OVRM in excahnge of black OVRM. Black mud flaps also looks cool on white swift. they were not the normal vertical mud flaps but were different in shape ( more of a horizontal ). will post a pic of them to explain.
I am very disappointed by the Digital clock part.they are not providing it even in the Zxi. the MGA clock which they installed has very cheapo looks.plastics of clock panel and dashboard are not the same.
When the car was ready to be delivered, showroom people brought a Pandit ji with Tilak and Mihai. I must agree with jaggu, such small extra efforts maruti people put do impress their customers. It had 9 kms on its ODO. As with each maruti vehicle, dealer provided with 5 ltrs of fuel. Since Delhi is 100 Kms from Panipat we thought of refuelling at near by gas station. I was sceptic of fuesl quality so only 3 trs of fuel was filled. almost 80% of the driving was done on highway with top speed at 80 km/hr. I tried maintaining an avg of 60-70 km/hr. Its so easy to cross 80 km/hr that you have to frustatingly restrain your self each a time a car overtakes. Car is a beauty to drive. The torque speaks for itself. There is an audible diesel engine clatter, but not in any case annoying. Off late i have started to like the diesel engines. I am still a fan of Qualis. I like the grunt of Diesel engine when you press accelerator. The Ldi doesn't have a Tacho so i shifted gear according to Engine sound which i have been trained to do driving 800 and gypsy. To maintain the speed of Run in period, i always had to up shift gear before rpm reached 2000. As Swift Diesel Turbo kicks in at 2000 rpm, i always missed it.
Now a question : Is it ok to drive at higher rpm levels so that turbo kicks in. Won't it increase speed when compared to Run in perios recommendations ?

I know that ideally there should be no turbo lag, but i like it is someways. It feels good when the vehicle starts moving normally and then suddenly at certain rpm, it accelerates ferociously, instead of just plain acceleration.

Does driving more in turbo decreases FE ?

Driver in my dad's car advised that diesel car have a problem that if the fuel pump sucks in air because of empty fuel , then its a major problem and repairing is expensive and also this problem is not that important in petrol. Is it True ?

i was keen on doing teflon coating and underbody anti rust treatment. Maruti's authorized workshop quoted price for teflon coating alone to be rs 3500. My friend got a teflon coating done on his new santro from authorized hyundai dealer in Rs 700. price for anti rust was also in similar range. Should i get it done from ouside.
I would be going for ICE install in a say or two. The problem jaggu faced for connector can also be faced my me. So should i suggest installer guy to use that NHC connector as mclaren1885 suggested in his post # 76.
Quote:
Jaggu , the diesel swift stereo connectors are the same as the NHC
Old 23rd April 2007, 10:22   #108
Team-BHP Support

i was keeping 3.5 as my limit for first 360 kms then slowly moving to 4000 rpm, but careful the RPM really shoots up fast when you hit the turbo band. the idea is slowly load and push it instead of flooring the pedal.

and i feel that its equally important to run in the turbo also rather than mother it all the way. and yes FE might be lil less coz turbo means more air and more fuel burnt.

stereo connector do use NHC if it works, am planning to get them fixed later on
Old 25th April 2007, 00:22   #109
BHPian

2 days into driving swift.But somehow didn't get a chance to drive at night. So yesterday i drove to sarojni ngr mkt nearby and was shocked to see that instrument cluster lights didn't show up.More surprise came when i saw that neither the parking lights in front nor the ones in the rear turned on.
I assumed that the dealer's electrician while installing dashboard clocked messed up somewhere in wiring.thankfully due to maruti's extended service station network, i had one just a km away from my house. The electrician then checked and found that the guy who installed forgot to put the fuse which handled these things.
Its not easy to reverse swift in tight spots so i was planning to get reverse parking sensor and a left OVRM installed .Its such a pity that 5 lac car doesn't have OVRM on both side. Any recommendation for Reverse parking sensor ?

What is the use of that rear fog lamp ? i think its situated too low to serve any useful purpose.
Old 25th April 2007, 02:43   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
Its such a pity that 5 lac car doesn't have OVRM on both side.
you're right! they do have it on the VDi version.

Quote:
What is the use of that rear fog lamp ? i think its situated too low to serve any useful purpose.
it is only provided so that your car is visible to other cars in fog - that serves as it's only purpose.
Old 25th April 2007, 12:48   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ultra bright as they are by design, the rear fog lamps can be a source of major irritation to drivers of vehicles coming behind, when they are misused, i.e. when they are turned on even in good weather. Some idiots think they are making a major style statement by turning them on needlessly. I distinctly remember the large, twin fog lamps of Cielo that most drivers misused, causing major nuisance.

That's why the trend is towards having a single rear fog lamp. For the same reason, lower position is better. Even in expensive cars like Mercedes Benz, there is usually only one functional rear fog lamp, the other side of the car simply having a dummy.

Last edited by directinjection : 25th April 2007 at 12:54.
Old 25th April 2007, 13:05   #112
Senior - BHPian

High Security number plates

Maybe this is a bit delayed , the high security number plates can be sourced from one Mr. Rajashankar he has an office near Rajeswari Theathre after KEMP forte, if you are coming towards HAL from Manipal Hospital. His phone number is 9341230174 . I had the Number plates made yesterday and set me back by Rs 750. You can order over phone and collect it from him later.

Sorry if the info is too delayed and you cant use it , by the way ur white swift look real cute !
Old 25th April 2007, 13:26   #113
Team-BHP Support

I remember once going behind a fiesta, who was doing 90-100 with rear fog lamps on. Every time I overtook him, going 110, he would overtake me again(higher power than the indica by a good margin) and then settle down to 90-100.
I was in half a mind to ram him from behind just to switch off his fog lamps. Thankfully he clipped a truck while overtaking and hence had to stop to fight with the truck guy, otherwise I was potentially looking at a blinding night ride till he or I made a stop.
Old 29th April 2007, 02:08   #114

hey guys..

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum. I picked up my VDi on 25th april. Was a very auspicious day for me :P ! Although Bimal in Indiranagar made sure that i would have awful memories of the delivery of my first car ! They pressured me to hurry my payment up but delivered the car more than 2 months after i booked it. And guess what i saw my car ! and it was absolutely dirty. From the inside and the outside. I was absolutely shocked. Paying upto almost 6L for the car and its so filthy ! SO because i showed them how angry i could get. They washed it with a bucket and cloth (like how our drivers do early in the morning) . I would've done that myself.
And i finally got to drive the car away two hours after the promised time. I was so angry that i couldn't enjoy my first ride in my baby ! Two days later i got it washed (for free) at an eager to satisfy 'Kalyani motors' on mysore road.

Anyways i was never more happy to give away 1300bucks for a full tank ! hehe. The bunk guy was shocked to see me happy giving away my money. After owning an RD350 for so many years its a pleasure to not have to fill petrol anymore. I still haven't got a chance to check the car out properly. I actually find it a little sluggish in traffic (bangedgalore-traffic) and i've been driving with lotsa 'new car' jitters. But i did get a coupla chances to open it up and put the car in 5th.. Did about 120 on airport road and then i suddenly remembered that i'm supposed to do the 'running in'. I wouldn't mind paying someone to do it for me lol. I find the visibility to be very poor compared to my older matiz. Its really tough to reverse the car in a crowded area thanks to the japanese eye-lid sized rearview. I also can't understand why maruti does major kanjoosi with tiny tiny accessories like a missing clock or parcel tray no mud flaps etc..

Now i'm planning to put in Bridgestone Turanza ER60 - 195/60/R14 tyres on it cuz i hate the stock tyres. And maybe change to alloys later on in May. I also want to put in a nICE setup in my car. I'm thinking about a panel with them usb thingys or a DVD player so i can play a lot more music on it. Please let me know what you guys think.. and do give me some recommendations. Jaggu. CALL ME - 9880025040. I have to talk to an owner to clarify a coupla things. You are the perfect guy for that.

Okay guys that's all for now.. will keep you all posted and post up some pics aswell. BTW my baby is silver. Hope to see you all at the next t-bhp meet in bangalore. Loved seeing all the pics and videos of the last meet.

Aditya
Old 29th April 2007, 08:19   #115
BHPian

Hi!
Am in the process of buying swift diesel- as quoted elsewhere in the forum, there is a huge waitlist for the vdi in Bangalore. Ldi seems to be a bit easier to get - Many members have done extensive study on the swift. Would anyone care to comment if it is good value?

Jaggu- Can you let me know how much the zxi alloys and the upgrade on the tires cost?

Can someone also give an indication how much leather seats for swift will cost and which would be the best place to go for in Bangalore?
Thanks!
Old 29th April 2007, 09:50   #116
Team-BHP Support

Hey Aditya,

195/60-14 is the wrong size for the Swift. You need 195/65-14. the turanza ER-60 is not available in that size.

I would suggest you go for Michelin Energy XM-1 in 195/65-14 or instead Potenza G-III in bridgestone if your looking for grip and handling.
Old 29th April 2007, 12:02   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Jaggu. CALL ME - 9880025040. I have to talk to an owner to clarify a coupla things.
hey crazy_speedster , this is not done. please try to discuss as much as possible in the forum. what you discuss might be useful to other guys also.

btw, get that digital clock.it gives awesome look in the night.

there is thread completely dedicated to swift ICEing. read it and i am sure you don't have to look any further. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...thread-27.html

Swift Diesel "Sluggish" . i don't think so. I have to apply break whenever i start from a red light. This car has that never stopping urge to move forward.

Just a question about tyre upsizing. After getting the car i am now tight in my budget. so getting alloys is postponed for the moment. I have stock tyres and rims right now. Does changing the tyre to Michelin Energy XM-1 in 195/65-14 or instead Potenza G-III in bridgestone as vid6639 said, will also involve changing the rim ?

Thanks

Old 29th April 2007, 16:59   #118
BHPian

i too bought my swift vdi on 25th... booked the car on 21st of april..
after driving for about 300kms some things i hv noticed especially since i drive in hills.the bad points are these-
the turbo lag is irritating especially on steep inclines.the car stalls if the revs are below 1500 on steep inclines. the front bumper is quite low set, looks good but bad for speed bumps especally when coming downhill.the other major problen is the brake pad costs 3.6k which in hilly regions are changed as frequently as 3000 kms.
the car is badly equipped but this has been dealt before.
as for good points ,
i love this car, i take the turbo lag as a part of car's character, i stay extra careful about the bumpers on speed bumps, and i ll think about the barke pad prices when i need to change them.
Old 29th April 2007, 18:05   #119
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

hmmm..
Now atleast two owners are complaining about the Turbo lag. So this may not be THE perfect city car after all. I am taking nothing away from the fact that it offers superb performance after 2000 rpm, but the turbo lag does seem to be a little bothersome in stop and go traffic.
Old 29th April 2007, 18:08   #120
Team-BHP Support

your turbo lag could be more pronounced since your staying at a high altitude so the drop in power must be resulting in the engine stalling as it is being starved of air.

Just a theory by my logic not sure if that would really be the cause.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks