Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2007, 12:12   #646
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
How does this help ? Is this recommended when you encounter a speed braker which is too close to get over smoothly.
Yup it holds true for speed breakers as well. When you come into a speed breaker to fast, It is always better to brake till just before the speedbreaker. Then back off and go over it. What happens is, when you brake the car dives in the front resulting in the front suspension getting loaded due to the braking force. When you hit the bump your suspension is less on travel as it is already loaded. The end result is hitting the bump hard and your suspension may get damaged.

Whereas, if you back off just before you remove the loading to the front and the weight shifts to the back allowing the full front suspension to absorb the bump's impact.

Quote:
What is root horn ?
Roots is a brand. the horn in this case sounds like the one on the octavia/optra.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 16th July 2007 at 12:13.
Old 16th July 2007, 13:22   #647
Senior - BHPian

austere,

that is standard offroading procedure. you brake before, but just let go, when coming ON a bump.
When driving into a pothole, you brake INTO it - so that the suspension is compressed, and expands - else, if you take it like normal, then the balance is lost as the vehicle slightly tips into the depression, instead of just the suspension.
Old 16th July 2007, 14:33   #648
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you both for that information. I will add that technique to my stock. Great advice for a newcomer to Indian roads.
Old 16th July 2007, 15:17   #649
BHPian

That was quite an info. Thanks Vid and phamilyman.

By any chance does merc also have same kind of horn. I remember it sounded similar to octavia's.
Old 16th July 2007, 18:03   #650
Team-BHP Support

lol yes this is a good technique for EMERGENCY SITUATIONS only, will help you save lot of impact on the car but can cause the car to loose control/traction in certain situation. Ensure that there is no one in front or the sides while you do this. Its always better to damage the wheel or suspension compared to the cars front end.

To give more details on what my technique (if i may call it so) is, slam brake (careful again, dont go skating or spinning) >> suspension compress fully >> Leave brake so that suspension lifts to max and has ample travel >> Depress clutch if you can to avoid jolts to drive train, and let the car glide with minimal impact from ground (dont try to do any steering also since control will be dicey) release clutch and get the car back in control with careful braking.

Last bit needs to be executed carefully or you can land up loosing control of the vehicle, hence the word of caution.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th July 2007 at 18:04.
Old 16th July 2007, 21:57   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Kuttapa am sure you will have loads to share about the road once you get back
Hell yes ! But did not get time to do a write-up yet.

But guess what, I was remarking to my wifey that driving is like playing a video game, only that crashes are real and there is no 'life' to speak of. And here you talk about video games as well. Telepathy or what?

And on this particluar Combi-Thrissur stretch, I was asking her to count my points whenever I avoided potholes and deduct whenever I fell into one. It was fun ! More details in my write-up!
Old 17th July 2007, 11:50   #652
Team-BHP Support

Kuttapan, nice way of involving your wife too in the driving process. So, tell me, when is it that you lose the game? How many negative points do you need to acquire for you to lose?
Old 17th July 2007, 12:03   #653
BHPian

Mileage gone down ??!!

Last weekend i went to chennai in my Vdi. After reaching chennai i checked my mileage and to my shock it gave me only 18km/ltr. while going i filled diesel in reliance. i used to maintain 100-120 kms/hr as average speed and used to do 140 km/hr if the stretch is good.

again i noticed the mileage after i reached to bangalore and no difference in the mileage. I did not use AC at all as the climate was good.

during my last trip to chennai, that is fresh after my first service i got around 20km/ltr.

i have no idea why there is a drop in my mileage? planning to inform the same during my second service.
Old 17th July 2007, 12:09   #654
Team-BHP Support

@rajesh: it might be also because you are driving faster compared to last time.

Second by not using AC and with windows down the car aerodynamics is spoiled at high speeds, and will eat into FE. Keep the windows closed with a small air gap and switch the blower ON is what i would suggest.
Old 17th July 2007, 12:15   #655
BHPian

Tip - to get a clear windscreen during long drive.

I just tried this and it works effectively...

next time when you fill water for 'windscreen viper' just add 10ml of 'colin' to it. Colin is the solution which we generally use to clean all glass materials.

water mixed with colin clears of all the hard dirts which generally would not go off with plain water. this will be very helpful during highway driving, especially if you start early in the morning. the amount of bugs hitting the windscreen and the splash they leave yuk!!! they are hard to clean but by this way they are removed effectively if you regularly clean your windscreen using viper.

try it and see.
Old 17th July 2007, 14:15   #656
BHPian

Quote:
@rajesh: it might be also because you are driving faster compared to last time.

Second by not using AC and with windows down the car aerodynamics is spoiled at high speeds, and will eat into FE. Keep the windows closed with a small air gap and switch the blower ON is what i would suggest.
i generally follow the same technique. i used to open a little bit of drive side window and the diagonally opp window of the back. this is to maintain the cross flow of the wind.

maybe i have to reduce my speed and see how it works, bcos consistently i was hitting 140kms and sometimes 150+ during this trip. the vehicle was so good to drive and it never gave up, there was always something left out to experience thrill.
Old 17th July 2007, 14:33   #657
BHPian

@jaggu: is there any good Shell pertol bunk near Indira Nagar or Koramangala. My office is in EGL campus. I want to switch over to Shell diesel and see how my mileage works. I normally fillup diesel in Airport Rd BP.
I guess you normally use Shell diesel right?
Old 17th July 2007, 14:39   #658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
@jaggu: is there any good Shell pertol bunk near Indira Nagar or Koramangala. My office is in EGL campus. I want to switch over to Shell diesel and see how my mileage works. I normally fillup diesel in Airport Rd BP.
I guess you normally use Shell diesel right?
I use IOC regular from the Airport Road pump (Opposite to Dial M). Shell pump is in OLD madras road, when you move towards KR Puram fly over, right side, after the kargadaspura turn off jn. Second option is in Hosur Rd and Third near Lavalle Rd cofee day.

140 kph and occasional 150's !!! 18 kmpl is good i feel
Old 17th July 2007, 14:54   #659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i am jealous of all you DDiS fans.

With that sorta driving, i'd be lucky to get 12kmpl (petrol) in my wagonR.
Old 17th July 2007, 14:56   #660
BHPian

Quote:
I use IOC regular from the Airport Road pump (Opposite to Dial M). Shell pump is in OLD madras road, when you move towards KR Puram fly over, right side, after the kargadaspura turn off jn. Second option is in Hosur Rd and Third near Lavalle Rd cofee day.

could you pls give another landmark. i know Bp and HP in Apt Rd. is it the petrol bunk located in the service lane of Domlur?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks