Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2007, 13:44   #586
Senior - BHPian

Well mine doesnot fishtail on normal braking, but on very hard braking the rear steps out a bit and you realise that the rear has less stopping power then the fronts, infact even after putting 195s i am convinced i should opt for 205/55/15 next time around though that would be more to restrict the torque steer.
Old 5th July 2007, 13:52   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
AFAIK all car's below 9L have drums at the rear.
expect NHC CVT.....not sure about automatic Santro AT & WagonR AX

sorry for being Off Topic
Old 5th July 2007, 15:01   #588
Senior - BHPian

I have been doing some ABS tests for my car on dry road and gravel and it holds a straight line, no squeals, very predictable. Need to check in the wet, though.
Old 5th July 2007, 17:05   #589
BHPian

Once did an emergency braking when a Taxi Indica was virtually flying in the colony roads. The car managed to stop just in time. First it seemed that we have escaped by few mm, but in the morning realized that Indica's black plastic beading kissed my swift's number plate. A waxing session 2-3 days after that incident removed all black plastic marks. Brakes of Swift D are very good even w/o abs.
Old 6th July 2007, 09:32   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_28_8 View Post
official site doesnt say about power steering for diesel. Maruti Swift - Variants Diesel

So had to search for it. I have the doubt on these manufactures, they doesnt provide every thing which is offered on petrol versions for cutting cost.
ZXI is in petrol which is not available in diesel.

Hi Ravi,
Well there is a market sense not to come with ZDi at this moment. Well it would touch Rs 6 lakh bracket which Suzuli does not want to as at 6 lakhs their is fierce competetion and thus selling at lesser price will attract more people and would a good price repot to the Swift Diesel Variant.

Cheers
HS
Old 6th July 2007, 10:11   #591
BHPian

A VDi with ABS already cost 6 lacs, so I think ZDi will cost around 6.5 lacs. A customer would be more inclined towards car like starting models of Fiesta or Verna. Indians still are not comfortable spending 6 to get a hatchback. Even 5.5 lac is more. They expect to have a boot with car in this price range.
Old 6th July 2007, 10:22   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
first the tyre size is wrong, it should be 185 70 14, this "SOMETIMES CAN" cause issues with braking, refer tyre bible for details.

otherwise take it to the dealer and ask them to check breaks (break bias especially) and then do a wheel alignment check (just in case)
Yep, that was a typo, tyres are 185 70 14 . Thanks Jaggu.
Old 6th July 2007, 10:25   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Well mine doesnot fishtail on normal braking, but on very hard braking the rear steps out a bit and you realise that the rear has less stopping power then the fronts, infact even after putting 195s i am convinced i should opt for 205/55/15 next time around though that would be more to restrict the torque steer.
Just couldnt get the term right, yep this is what i meant the rear steps out. I feel the front locks too hard. Will see if the guys at the dealership can do anything about this. Thanks BUSA
Old 6th July 2007, 11:27   #594
BHPian

Hi friends,
Could you please explain what is 'torque steer' I've heard it meny time in this thread.
Thanks
Old 6th July 2007, 21:03   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijuPaul View Post
Hi friends,
Could you please explain what is 'torque steer' I've heard it meny time in this thread.
Thanks

I've found it,
torque steer
"For front wheel driven vehicles the influence of the engine torque on the steering
is called Torque Steer. Especially during full acceleration the steering may pull
strongly to one side, which is very disturbing to the driver. As the Torque Steer
Effect is directly related to the engine torque capabilities this problem becomes
more and more evident with the upcoming high power diesel and petrol engines.
Engine torque transferred through the driveshaft as well as traction force can
generate a torque about the kingpin axis. Ideally the other side of the vehicle
counterbalances this torque about the kingpin axis, but when different angles
between driveshaft/wheel/kingpin axis and different drive torques left to right
occur the residual torque influences the steering"
Old 6th July 2007, 21:30   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Torque steer is the influence of the engine torque on the steering for some front-wheel drive vehicles. For example, during full acceleration the steering may pull to one side, which may be disturbing to the driver. This either causes a tugging sensation in the steering wheel, or else the car veers from the intended path. As the Torque Steer Effect is directly related to the engine torque capabilities this problem becomes more and more evident with high output engines with strong low rpm range torque.

Check this Linky

Last edited by BUSA : 6th July 2007 at 21:31.
Old 7th July 2007, 01:42   #597
BHPian

Hi everybody. Got the delivery of my swift vdi(red)2 days back. The car is very good spacious and comfortable and all that, but I am a bit worried.

The problem is it makes this knocking sound in the 1700rpm region which one usually gets to hear with tata indica diesels. The noise starts at 1600rpm reaches the peak around 1800 and comes down to the noise less normal engine sound at 1950rpm. With all the windows raised this sound is clearly audible.

I want to know if this is same with all the swift diesels or is it just mine? Should i go and check it with the dealer? i don't think they are very co operative here in mysore (the mondovi). I had test driven the car two months back with glasses open, so don't know if it had the same problem.

Help me guys. please let me know what i should do. And with 15lts of diesel the car ran only 180kms, thats around 12km per liter. Is that OK for a new car?

And also sometimes even after taking foot off the accelerator paddle the car accelerates on its own, can i know why such a thing is happening?

Hope to hear back from you people. Thanks!!!
Old 7th July 2007, 09:24   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

I find the car 'sounds like a diesel' (don't know how else to put it) around 1800rpm.

Continuing to accelerate after taking your foot off sounds like a very dangerous problem requiring urgent attention.
Old 7th July 2007, 09:30   #599
Team-BHP Support

dont think they can do much about it since the turbo stays on for a bit after you release the accel.
Old 7th July 2007, 15:37   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
dont think they can do much about it since the turbo stays on for a bit after you release the accel.

On the other threads I saw maruti changing the ECM (electronic control module) on its swifts that were manufactured early this year. should i go check if mine has the latest code running on it?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks