Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2007, 12:04   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

So there is a reversing light?

I guess that's a relief, just it doesn't work then.
Old 16th June 2007, 12:15   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am yet to see one do that. May be too less vehicles around to observe.
The reason for not smoking is that it breathes quite well, there are slits in the wheel walls to draw in air.
Old 16th June 2007, 17:31   #468
Team-BHP Support

ok couldnt resist so made my driver follow me around and then took turn, ok could manage only 50-60 km speed in indira nagar traffic but unlike the owner no smoking for my car he he

starting one gust comes and after that very minor, not really visible also took a video on phone but cant figure out so i think its got to do with the way one drives
Old 16th June 2007, 17:38   #469
Senior - BHPian

Try at speeds at 100kmph + and see the results.
Old 17th June 2007, 00:41   #470
BHPian

Was again on that stretch on which I did 140. Checked the distance, it was around 600-700 meters.

After doing 1500 kms , I think I am totally comfortable with swift. and touchwood no more engine shutdown issues or reverse gear engaging. Also gear shift is now smooth. Always accurate. Problems any one might feel in gear shifting during driving a new car are most probably in transition of 5th - 4rth gear and 5ht - 3rd gear. Once you get an idea, whole operation is silky smooth.
Old 17th June 2007, 17:50   #471
Team-BHP Support

just did another 400 kms today and yes car has indeed loosened up,engine for good and the rear door for bad, will have to fix that squeak in 2nd service due when am back.

mileage is improving and figure went up to 16 kmpl in city driving for first time, highway also it seemed to have crossed 22kmpl mark with my guess est since the needle is much higher than usual anyways will know for sure soon. again had taken the mettur route so that also might have contributed with sedate driving.

[b]@Gkrishn:[b] i figured out the rpm diff mystery atleast i think i did, here goes... the delay from the mechanical odo might be the reason, compared to the electronic rpm meter.

the speedo requires more time to register the speed change where as the rpm meter senses the engine rpm faster, very noticable while decelerating from high speeds, which accounts for a momentary error of 100 to 200 rpm depending on situation.

fyi i did get 2 different speedo reading for2k rpm and made me do the experimenting and the observation and funda
Old 17th June 2007, 17:57   #472
Team-BHP Support

just did another 400 kms today and yes car has indeed loosened up,engine for good and the rear door for bad, will have to fix that squeak in 2nd service due when am back.

mileage is improving and figure went up to 16 kmpl in city driving for first time, highway also it seemed to have crossed 22kmpl mark with my guess est since the needle is much higher than usual anyways will know for sure soon. again had taken the mettur route so that also might have contributed with sedate driving.

@Gkrishn: i figured out the rpm diff mystery atleast i think i do, here goes the delay from the mechanical odo might be the reason, compared to the electronic rpm meter. the speedo requires more time to register the speed change where as the rpm meter senses the engine rpm faster, very noticable while decelerating from high speeds, which accounts for a momentary error of 100 to 200 rpm depending on situation.

fyi i did get 2 different speedo reading for2k rpm and made me do the experimenting and theory
Old 19th June 2007, 11:01   #473
BHPian

I called up my dealer today as my car is due for its first service tomm, the lady said that the total charged for the oil change would be around Rs 735 /- !! How much have u all guys paid for your oil change during the first service ??
Old 19th June 2007, 11:11   #474
BHPian

First service total was Rs. 684/- for me. (Including taxes) This amount may vary from state to state based on taxes I believe.
Old 19th June 2007, 16:06   #475
BHPian

yes, i got some 650~ Rs as my first bill. and...I am in blr.
Old 19th June 2007, 16:25   #476
Senior - BHPian

i've seen a silver swift ldi smoke .
And i just felt its normal like any hard-revved diesel.
Old 19th June 2007, 18:01   #477
Team-BHP Support

5000 kms Update.

Quick update, an un-eventful trip of 900 odd kms again over 2 days and odo has covered the 5000 km mark. Mileage has improved by 1 km from 19 to 23 kms under hard driving and regular cruising at 100-120 kmph respectively and 16 kmpl for city.

Engine has become lot silent, very evident (the silence) when you drive with glass down. I guess the carbon build up is doing its job. Again first experience with diesel, unlike petrol engines where i couldnt really feel any difference after couple of thousand kms, diesel does loosens up and yes diesel engine doesnt feel tired wee bit even after non stop 400 kms haul.

Surprisingly no major rattles also, the rear door squeak still intact and hopefully will be rectified tomorrow during the 5000 km 2nd service. Planning to do an "out of turn" oil and oil filter replacement also. Suspension also holding up quite well with my abuse on road and alloys also (phew, had hit a bad one this time at full blast).

Front fogs really do help on highways where every lumen counts whereas in city driving i felt they were absolute waste. Stock lighting is also pretty decent and blinding enough for opposite traffic to dip that glaring high beam.

One stupid issue is the plastic clips that hold the mudflap and mudguard trim has a tendency to come off under hard driving, i had some additional clips procured during first service and planning to do get some more this time also, just in case.

Beautiful automobile for highways where you can easily pull off overtaking and the road holding and brakes are also superb. When the road is broken, drive hard!! careful the rear suspension do tends to loose grip with highly spirited driving on these patches.

Took the Mettru route, safe speeds possible is between 80 -100 kph, road condition is good and no probs for swift d to handle. The broken patches are just there for some fun

Brakes feel a lil hard (can be my imagination also) but no compromise on stopping power. AC is too cool for comfort in monsoon even with blower at first position. I think ill soon start switching ON and OFF the compressor (pain with the switch far away for my seat settings) or need to see if i can retro fit a manual thermostat control for AC.

Car though i felt bumpy, was reported quite decent and NOT tiring by a friend who sat on the rear seat for 400 kms.

One thing i am trying to find out is that if the Diesel offered in class B towns and cities are of different grade?

IOC site also states cetane rating difference for Bharath Stage II and III cities. Tried two different pumps of IOC in Palghat (one new and another old) and i feel the fuel there is lil off compared to fuel i get in Bangalore.

Oh before i forget i had given a turtle wax coat before i left for the trip and it sure does help, even the muddy water from rain doesnt stick to the paint he he and yes opened account for scars with front bumper underside corner scrapping on sand while making a parking move and small dings on front bonnet (suspect tree twigs or someone who hates the HR at work )

Thats all folks, rest after tomorrows 2nd service appointment.
Old 19th June 2007, 18:10   #478
Team-BHP Support

Very nice update Jaggu. gives a good idea of the ownership experience with the car. Very useful for prospective buyers.

btw, hows the car in city. I mean the turbo lag.
Old 19th June 2007, 18:26   #479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Very nice update Jaggu. gives a good idea of the ownership experience with the car. Very useful for prospective buyers.

btw, hows the car in city. I mean the turbo lag.
thankuthomuch.

turbolag - one gets used to very easy, city or highway, and in city like bangalore it really doesnt matter since acceleration also takes place in slow pace (for this abundant torque available low down the revs) and yes will be an issue for people who wants to ride around in top gear and then expect acceleration also. This car requires the gear lever usage.

And bloody turbo band is addictive and makes you a hooligan on road, ask my wife or that poor silver accent tornado guy yesterday (soory mate, couldnt resist overdoing you trying to overtake TN state transport)

wife will swear that i was a saner driver with the iKON
Old 19th June 2007, 18:45   #480
Team-BHP Support

Nice report Jaggu. Seems you are enjoying downshifts and red lining the car already
Closed Thread

Most Viewed