Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2007, 20:36   #451
Senior - BHPian

Today I noticed a brand new Vdi being driven out of the showroom, so I started driving behind it to ogle . And guess what it was belching black smoke....Now what could be the reason for it?

And the test drive vehicle, after doing 11k was really audible, there was the diesel clatter and vibrations. So only time will tell if the engine will remain silent/vibration free. Agreed that the test drive vehicle recieves much abuse, but still.
Old 15th June 2007, 21:40   #452
Team-BHP Support

actually i see a silver swift often coming from the IT park on inner rr which has same problem, one thing i doubt is maybe the driver is trying to push in 2nd or 3rd at low speed which is causing this, again wild guess and hence i was also worried this will be my scene, thankfully not till date.

brighter side and maruti has surprised me again, this time they send me a Parker pen with maruti suzuki badging et all and a thank you note for my feedback. he he i couldnt resist a good feedback form.
Old 15th June 2007, 21:50   #453
Senior - BHPian

Unusual smoke can be caused by bad quality of fuel too if i am correct ?? The cars i have seen till now that smoke a bit less are Fiesta, Verna and Swift. Most smoke comes out of Skodas and Accent. Please leave out the IDI cars.

But still i am not able to understand why the smoke comes out under hard acceleration ??

P.S. I am on a verge to buy a diesel car but i am gonna wait until Dec or Jan. Maybe buy 2 diesels by next year. Still waiting for Fusion TDCi / Getz CRDi or any other launch under 8 lacs... My dad is in love with the Optra MAGNUM but i think it will overshoot the budget a lot.
Old 15th June 2007, 21:54   #454
Senior - BHPian

Was following my Swift VDi a few days back and noticed black smoke coming out, i think its a common things with all Swifts, the car was around 100kmph in 5th gear and smoking.
Old 15th June 2007, 22:04   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Was following my Swift VDi a few days back and noticed black smoke coming out, i think its a common things with all Swifts, the car was around 100kmph in 5th gear and smoking.
nope.. did manage to tail my swift when it was around 700 kms at around 100 km mark and didnt see any smoke, again maybe the driver made a difference .. busa which diesel are you using, am using IOC regular
Old 15th June 2007, 22:27   #456
Senior - BHPian

@ Jaggu - I too am using IOC Regualar Diesel, and the car was surely at a speed around 100kmph in 5th gear.
Old 15th June 2007, 22:36   #457
Team-BHP Support

only altitude difference comes into picture but that shouldnt matter since the car is supposed to have an ECU lol..

maybe a case of lead foot vs feather touch
Old 15th June 2007, 22:46   #458
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu - Arenot all cars meant to be driven pedal to the metal and you have managed to revv her upto 5000RPM, did you notice black smoke since thats the highest lead foot possible and i managed just 3750RPM till now otherwise always shift at 2500-3000RPM.
Old 15th June 2007, 23:16   #459
Team-BHP Support

yup rev the t**ts out.. as some say... reving the engine to 5k rpm doesnt mean i have to have lead foot, my school of driving can be termed as "2 stroke - 2 wheeler beast, driven on a wet road" and give unconscious attention to feeling the revs climb and modulating the pedal, especially when it comes to accelerating in a higher gear, thats the best i can explain.

and nope no spewing of smoke visible yet.. atleast the ones that show in the rear view mirror kinds.. not there in these 5 k rpm in low gears like 1st and 2nd and i really dont know if all the dark (black) action is happening under the bumper only for a tail gater to observe

ps: i did above 5k rpm couple of hrs back couple of secs only, yup gauge is marked till 6k and hope there is some sort of rev limiter
Old 15th June 2007, 23:36   #460
Senior - BHPian

hey jaggu i am sure there is a revlimiter, i remember it kick in while on a test drive.

Well the smoke wont be visible in the rear view mirror, you need to be tail gating your car and its below the bumper, though not much i am sure it emits black smoke.
Old 15th June 2007, 23:45   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Can it be true?

that this car (VDI) doesn't have a reversing light?

How stupid is that?

And how, where, and what cost to neatly rectify this glaring (unfortunately not) omission?

BTW... yesterday (as I mentioned somewhere else) the car was beginning to sound like a diesel. Today it's smooth again. But the passenger-door electric window has a sticking switch and, even without the switch stuck, fails to open or close sometimes. (Yes I know about the driver-door switch that isolates the other windows)

500Km
Old 16th June 2007, 00:02   #462
Senior - BHPian

No buddy, Swift VDi or any other model of the Swift or any other cars, all have reversing lights.
Old 16th June 2007, 00:08   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
that this car (VDI) doesn't have a reversing light?

How stupid is that?

And how, where, and what cost to neatly rectify this glaring (unfortunately not) omission?

BTW... yesterday (as I mentioned somewhere else) the car was beginning to sound like a diesel. Today it's smooth again. But the passenger-door electric window has a sticking switch and, even without the switch stuck, fails to open or close sometimes. (Yes I know about the driver-door switch that isolates the other windows)

500Km
Hey I am sorry but cant make much out of this
Old 16th June 2007, 00:13   #464
BHPian

VDi does Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
hey jaggu i am sure there is a revlimiter, i remember it kick in while on a test drive.

Well the smoke wont be visible in the rear view mirror, you need to be tail gating your car and its below the bumper, though not much i am sure it emits black smoke.
Hey I agree with BUSA, i too thought like Jaggu that my swift didn't emit black smoke(not visible in RVM), not till recently I was driving behind my swift, there is good amount of BLACK smoke during acceleration pretty much visible while cruising.
Old 16th June 2007, 02:41   #465
BHPian

Hi,.

In my opinion all diesels( including CRDI's) smoke if you press the accelerator abrubtly. At that time you can also feel the power not being built up as expected.

The trick is to press the accelerator slowly, give the turbo some time to spool up and pump more air into engine. More air,less smoke!! I have practiced how not to smoke an accent crdi all the way to it's red line.

Nevertheless, I have seen many swift ddis' smoke ( that too a lot) at very low speeds. I didn't post my observation because I thought they were all ECU issues. Now I feel that the issue is due to turbo lag. Enthusiastic owners could be dumping the accelerator too soon and there is too much fuel and too less air. You dont even realise that the rpm is low because the car is so smooth at all rpms.

In my experience the car which has least tendency to belch smoke is elantra CRDI. I am yet to see one do that. May be too less vehicles around to observe.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks