Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2007, 17:09   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
I got my Vdi last wednesday and till now I've driven 110kms in total. i am planning to drive to chennai this weekend. Before the treip, I would cover atleast 160kms in total.

Can anybody suggest me any recommended speed limit to drive my new car in highway, especially for Swift Vdi? I used to do 150-160km/hr in my Ikon but since this is a new my (diesel)car, i am not sure about the recommended speed limit to be followed before 1000kms/first service.
pls suggest.
I suggest you keep the rpm range to 3K or lower rpm mark until 1000kms for best results on your run-in period. Also, after prolonged period of highway run do not switch of the engine without idling for 1-2 mins.

Easy way to recognize is that if you shut the engine without idling, it shuts down with a shudder, it should not happen if you idle it for the above mentioned period.
Old 22nd May 2007, 20:08   #257
BHPian

There is little vibration while starting and shutting down the engine but its not as prominent as we see in a typical diesel engine. This happens even after i have idle engine for abt 30 secs before switching off.
Old 22nd May 2007, 22:14   #258
Senior - BHPian

Mobike, the shudder that you experience is due to the imbalanced nature of a 3-pot motor. The swift on the other hand is a 4-pot.

Drifter
Old 22nd May 2007, 23:21   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Mobike, the shudder that you experience is due to the imbalanced nature of a 3-pot motor. The swift on the other hand is a 4-pot.

Drifter

Hey this question might seems a little amateurish, but what is 3 pot or a 4 pot motor ?
Old 22nd May 2007, 23:23   #260
Team-BHP Support

Austere, 3pot is a 3 cylinder engine whereas 4pot is a 4 cylinder engine. Accent came with a 1.5L 3 cylinder engine whereas the Swift has a 4cylinder one.
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:15   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
thats the infamous diesel "pitter patter" its there in my car also, funny thing after the first service it was heard in all the rev range, had attributed to diesel pump air bleed, now again it has gone back to old occasional part throttle sound. i feel its normal.

i actually notice when i drive without stereo playing, otherwise one doesnt notice also, so pump up that volume to decent levels
exactly, i hear that sound only if i use AC with no music. but if I have the windows open then its sounds as if i am driving petrol engine.
Old 23rd May 2007, 15:14   #262
BHPian

one more question, is it mandatory to make sure that the glow plug light goes off first and then start the engine? in the user manual they've mentioned that after the glow plug light goes off in the instrument panel only then only we have to start the engines.

at times i start the car even before the light goes off...got used to petrol engine versions
Old 23rd May 2007, 16:50   #263
Team-BHP Support

glow plug goes of in fraction of a sec, its the water in diesel line and service check light that takes longer. ideally wait for that fraction of a sec especially under cold conditions
Old 23rd May 2007, 17:13   #264
BHPian

I find that there is no glow plug light in Ldi! - only water in diesel indicator and the icat light(which goes off later than the water in diesel indicator)
Is there a glow plug indicator in the Vdi?
Mahesh
Old 23rd May 2007, 23:21   #265
BHPian

There is glow plug indicator in Ldi.

I read somewhere that its is advised to start the car in neutral with clutch depressed. What's benefit of depressing the clutch ?

When i started car with depressed clutch pedal, it took longer time for battery and oil indicator lights to go off than starting without clutch pedal depressed. Any reasons ?
Old 24th May 2007, 12:35   #266
BHPian

my mistake

I rechecked the Ldi console after last post and found that there is a glow plug that kind of goes off in a second after switching on the ignition. In fact I had asked the sales person about the glow plug and was told that there is none! Hence didnt really look for it.
Old 24th May 2007, 13:48   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshshanmugam View Post
I find that there is no glow plug light in Ldi! - only water in diesel indicator and the icat light(which goes off later than the water in diesel indicator)
Is there a glow plug indicator in the Vdi?
Mahesh
yes there is a glow plug indicator in Vdi model. it looks like a bulb filament.
Old 24th May 2007, 14:38   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
yes there is a glow plug indicator in Vdi model. it looks like a bulb filament.
yes its there is VDI too .. but till date never seen it "glow" may be due to the warm weather of delhi .. will get it checked on the first serivce ..
Old 24th May 2007, 22:07   #269
BHPian

I was too eager to know my mileage figures so I tanked her up today again , I was disappointed somwhow , my car has run 225 kms on 17 litres of hi speed diesel. My average is thus around 13.25 . I am disappointed with the figures , arent the figures a bit on the low side ( 50% ac on ) ?? However i keep my car mostly at the fourth gear and occasionally on the 5 th gear !! I have been ripping her for the past 3 days , rapid accelerating ( i love to see the amazed look of the sumo's and the bolero's :-) ) but touching to max 70 and letting go as that is more than enough to get a safe distance :-) !! What are other fellow bhpians experiencing ??

Last edited by nikunj_cal : 24th May 2007 at 22:08.
Old 24th May 2007, 22:28   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post

Also i have experienced 3-4 times engine shutting off inadvertently when shifting from higher to lower gear like 5th - 4rth , 4rth -3rd. and 3nd - 2nd...never happened when shifting from 2nd - 1st.
i am sure that it didn't happened because of very slow rpm.
Any reasons for this and what should i get checked from service station ?

Thanks
Hey austere I am facing the exact same issue but from 5th to 4th and sometimes 4th to 3rd, I am beginning to feel it is more of a clutch issue , so i always shift to neutral when coming to a dead halt and roll my car instead of switching to a lower gear , the engine never shuts off then ,Also it does not happen all the time , maybe i am not pressing my clutch properly , also what mileage figures is your Ldi returning ?? Forgive me for my over inquisitiveness
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks