Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2007, 08:25   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Jagggggg,
How did she handle? Bit stiff? Tell me this, when you encounter a Pot hole at 50 - 60 kmph, do you get the loud " thud " and can you feel this thud on your steering wheel? I use to drive a Zen D, she was always scared and alergetic to these pot holes.

At 40 K kms on ODO, i could not rectify the irregular tyre wear issues. Company guys told me that, Camber ( i dont know what it is ) settings have been changed. Was informmed that they had to remove the engine and work on it. I neglected their suggestion and lived with the tyre wear.
Cheers,
Jai
This is the same issue with my fathers Zen D. Whenever I take it, I am scared to push beyond 80 because I never know when I am going to get the next pot hole and feel bad after getting that hit.

Otherwise it is an excellant car with, gives solid 27KMPL 0% AC with Reliance Regular diesel
Old 17th May 2007, 10:00   #227
BHPian

Jaggu,

Please font consider the following as an ego comparison but my sincere observation. I have an Accent Viva CRDI and there were a couple of times when I raced Swift diesels. My observations

1) If Accent is ahead and Swift behind, it's pretty tough to overtake.In fact after every speed breaker/slow turn the accent acccelerates away much quicker and swift catches up after some time.

2) If Swift is ahead and Accent behind, expect the Accent to be nipping at the heels and stick there. Overtaking requires some long road.

3) If there are twisties, I think the swift is better here due to the tough suspension set up.

Another point to discuss here is the fuel efficiency. A few of my friends drove down to bellary in an Accent CRDI and Swift VDi, racing all the way. They were surprised to see that the swift was better only by 1 kmpl (17.5 for swift, 16.5 for Accent). I guess if you drive hard the fuel efficiency what you got the second time is what you will get.
Old 17th May 2007, 10:47   #228
Team-BHP Support

replies inline in BOLD and thank you.

How did she handle? Bit stiff? Tell me this, when you encounter a Pot hole at 50 - 60 kmph, do you get the loud " thud " and can you feel this thud on your steering wheel? I use to drive a Zen D, she was always scared and alergetic to these pot holes.

Nope, just glides over unlike zen petrol which i have experience with, swift has a stronger suspension that way

At 40 K kms on ODO, i could not rectify the irregular tyre wear issues. Company guys told me that, Camber ( i dont know what it is ) settings have been changed. Was informmed that they had to remove the engine and work on it. I neglected their suggestion and lived with the tyre wear.

only reason for them to recommend this would be if your chasis was affected, otherwise this can be fixed by working on front struts

Usual. But, they are not as scary as the Private buses in Kerala. Do you agree with me? lol

Having lived in kerala for some 21 years i have got used to them i guess

----------
Now where are the photographs? Did ya take some? When is the next excavation? Btw your car looks great ! Should i post the credit to magician rudra sir?

I didnt shoot much of the car, since Rudra has already set a level which my photography skills cant even compete. And yes all credits ro Rudra for the praises that i get on looks front
Old 17th May 2007, 10:53   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) If Accent is ahead and Swift behind, it's pretty tough to overtake.In fact after every speed breaker/slow turn the accent acccelerates away much quicker and swift catches up after some time.
Thats because, the swift's turbo spools up above 2000rpm, while the accent's turbo is on tap from 1700rpm onwards, also the short gearing helps.

Drifter
Old 17th May 2007, 11:16   #230
Team-BHP Support

I shall refrain from naming cars & manufacturers in my post now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badri View Post
Jaggu,

Please font consider the following as an ego comparison but my sincere observation. I have an Accent Viva CRDI and there were a couple of times when I raced Swift diesels. My observations

2) If Swift is ahead and Accent behind, expect the Accent to be nipping at the heels and stick there. Overtaking requires some long road.

3) If there are twisties, I think the swift is better here due to the tough suspension set up.

Another point to discuss here is the fuel efficiency. A few of my friends drove down to bellary in an Accent CRDI and Swift VDi, racing all the way. They were surprised to see that the swift was better only by 1 kmpl (17.5 for swift, 16.5 for Accent). I guess if you drive hard the fuel efficiency what you got the second time is what you will get.
Its always difficult to overtake especially on an indian highway with indian drivers, we race and dont follow lane logic. I did one or two parallel lane acceleration with the Viva as well as overtaking him from behind after the krishnagiri toll (he took a faster toll booth, smart ***!!) had to honk like hell to get him to move his black smoke pipe to the left lane, stiebel nautilus helped, hence my post.

As far as accelerating, yes swift needs some additional inputs from driver since the turbo lag will catch some unaware, and first and second gear needs some mastering... thats all, am not arguing but debating that a good driver does make a difference.

edit: <waves at drifter> you took my words away while i was typing

Viva Crdi is indeed a good car and i used to have fun fighting them with my iKON 1.6 and i was having a very unfair lead of having gem of a petrol engine, now the stakes have kinda closed up and who doesnt like healthy competition,

2) yes long road or an amazing power band to thrust the car ahead, which is what "i feel" was better if the tables turned also

3) yeah you wont have the tail wagging of a sedan to deal with in a swift, trust me i had enough from my iKON thought i do miss that, now things are very predictable.

Mileage lol i am ok with 15 kms also, and i was in race mode in a fully laden car and i think spirited driving from me should get 17 to 19 kms for swift on a highway and fast dirve still give 21 kms coz the distance vs time for both direction was almost same, it was the traffic, load and the gradient that was different on the return journey.

One very important point, i dont want to start swift better than this car or that car, i was sharing my experience. iam sure all of us would have experience of our own in road races and wins to our credits.

True winners can be decided on a drag strip or a race track, that reminds me when is the next OFFICIAL DRAG will i be able to convince my wife to lend snowhite to make a fool out of myself??

cheers
Jaggu

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th May 2007 at 11:18. Reason: cant i say a hi to a friend??
Old 17th May 2007, 11:28   #231
Senior - BHPian

Haha sorry if i took your thunder away Jaggu!

Drifter
Old 17th May 2007, 12:09   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
Is this normal ?

When the car is put into ignition, amber colour light that lighs ODO is quite bright. But when the parking lights and headlights are switched 'ON'
light in ODO becomes dimmer.
Yes. It is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
Is this normal ?
Also , what causes that theater dimming effect in cabin light of swift ?
No idea about this one.
Old 17th May 2007, 12:10   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

I too have a viva crdi and can't wait to take on a swift D on equal terms and see what is the outcome .

And, when it comes to a road race, i usually dont settle for being a second
Old 17th May 2007, 18:07   #234
BHPian

went for registration today. Had a real tough fight locating chasis no engraved on car body. It became quite a scene with at least 5-6 people looking for it. Later i found it on upper left corner where there is plastic cover.

What a place to have chasis no. on.
Old 17th May 2007, 18:42   #235
Team-BHP Support

you should have referred the owners manual for the marking
Old 18th May 2007, 06:35   #236
BHPian

Fuel for swift ddis

Hi Jaggu,
Just took delivery of swift diesel Ldi. Can you let me know if you use regular diesel or one of the premium ones for your car? There is no mention about this is the owners manual.
Also I noted a slight judder at the clutch pedal as compared to the test drive vehicles I drove. Of course this is as I drove out of the showroom. I am attributing it to the newness of the car - feedback on this from other owners please!
Thanks
Mahesh
Old 18th May 2007, 10:12   #237
Team-BHP Support

i use IOC regular diesel havent tried premium fuel yet
Old 18th May 2007, 11:24   #238
BHPian

I have had two refills and the first one was Indian Oil Xtra Mile and second was Indian Oil Regular Diesel. I have felt no difference in driving. Can't comment on FE as i haven't calculated it yet.

Is there any other method to calculate FE except filling it to the top and drivign some Kms and then filling to the top to check how much fuel used.

I have switched to regular because i read in some thread that other CRDI manufacturers recommend regular diesel. there are also some stories how some toyota's D4D engines got screwed by using premium fuels.

My take on is that since premium fuel contain additives to prevent engine
wear and tear , this might be harmful for a new engine as it has to go through a running period.

Disclaimer : The theory in last para is totally my belief and the entire risk of implementing it should be assumed and understood by the user.
Old 18th May 2007, 11:51   #239
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Jaggs , try using Shell Diesel .. I have found it better than ordinary diesel sold at most IOC, BP pumps ..
Old 18th May 2007, 16:22   #240
Team-BHP Support

@Rahul, there have been members who have reported a slight decrease in the mileage figures on using shell diesel. The reason for the same has not yet been attributed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks