Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2007, 10:16   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Abhibh, its more of a trial and error thing....its a fine line between ride quality and safe rims. When you upsize, try 3-4 psi above normal and come down as you feel necessary.

Drifter
As you really have squeezed the best out of the accent. What do you suggest should be the ideal psi value for an accent ( i got a viva) to get the best of performance and average? i am running on stock 13" inchers. I always maintain 30psi on all 4 tyres for city driving and increase by about 2psi for highway driving.
Old 2nd May 2007, 10:56   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So much for imported tyres, i love MRF
I happened to have a discussion about the sidewall strength with my tyre dealer. He mentioned that most imported, high-performance tyres intended for on-road use do not have very strong sidewalls as the designers have no idea that we have sharp-granite pieces lying on our roads.

On the other hand, a tyre like Bridgestone-Turanza ER60 has a strong-sidewall with cut protection built into it, as it is designed specifically for our road- conditions.
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:02   #168
Team-BHP Support

Su-47 I agree about the turanza ER-60 having a very strong sidewall reinforced with a cut protection beading. It works I tell you.

had a bit of off-roading yesterday. Absolutely no roads and huge rocks and sharp stones. the cut protection strip has rock scrape marks all over it but the tyre held up very good.

my old potenza RE-88 used to come back over bad roads with a sure shot cut on the sidewall or the tread.
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:07   #169

hey, i got my white vdi a week and a half back... this car is really good... just wanted to know whats the top speed u touched.. thing is i touched 150 kmph in my car last night, the car has not completed 1000 kms so its still in the run-in stage... im now thinking if it was a mistake to go at that speed with a new engine... i was on 5th gear at 3500 rpm approx.. happened a couple of times and i was so drunk with power that i didnt realize at that time whether i did the right thing... do u think anything might happen to d engine..?
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:27   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
whats your odo reading?

tatas' old 307 engine vs the DDIs engine comparison? pls!

My odo reading is 40K kms ( approximately ) . What I mean isnt the technology not pretty much new to comment ?
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:36   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
As you really have squeezed the best out of the accent. What do you suggest should be the ideal psi value for an accent ( i got a viva) to get the best of performance and average? i am running on stock 13" inchers. I always maintain 30psi on all 4 tyres for city driving and increase by about 2psi for highway driving.
Since you are on stock sized tyres, you don't need to play with the pressures. Your practice is fine. For my 205/50R15 tyres, i used 33psi front and 30psi rear. Used 34psi and 31psi front and back respectively for highway.

Drifter
Old 2nd May 2007, 11:39   #172
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjinx View Post
do u think anything might happen to d engine..?
Dont worry , at times such odd high speed bursts are helpful in setting the components right .. But calm down a bit and make sure you dont do it often .. As you clock more miles your engine will free up more and increase you speeds in each gear not only in 5th ..

However , the best kind of a run in I have come across is blast right from GO .. Every bike and car that we tried this policy on turned out to be way quicker than its counterparts and by quite a margin .. However if its mileage or FE what you need its got to be "slow and steady" ..
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:06   #173
Team-BHP Support

I dont think anything will go wrong with what you have done since the rpm were well within the limits, and note that the diesel engine produces max speed in overdrive coz of the way the engines deliver torque so speed might not be the right thing to use as reference point.

I have already taken the engine to 4k rpm mark and above couple of times doing lil bit of spirited acceleration (to be very honest within the first 300 kms ).

If you refer to the manual it clearly mentions that you can build up the revs as soon as you finish your first 360 kms and absolutely drive normal once you reach the 960 km mark (200 and 600 miles obviously as recommended by Fiat).

And as the engine is clocking more kms its becoming silent also, today morning i accidentally switched off the engine and saw the tell tale lights glowing and got worried. I didnt actually realize that i myself had shut the engine off lol.
Old 3rd May 2007, 01:29   #174

Heya Guys,

Sorry for the delayed response. To VID and Jaggu. I'm going in for the GIII with alloy wheels. Size is 195/65/14. today i was on the NICE road doing about 150 and quickly realised how soon i need those new tyres. So should get all this done by the weekend. Not too keen on the XM1 or Turanza anymore, also because the sizes i'm looking for are unavailable.

thanks to all of you i now have a better idea of what i need. will post up pics as soon as i get all the mods done.

Aditya
Old 3rd May 2007, 08:22   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjinx View Post
hey, i got my white vdi a week and a half back... this car is really good... just wanted to know whats the top speed u touched.. thing is i touched 150 kmph in my car last night, the car has not completed 1000 kms so its still in the run-in stage... im now thinking if it was a mistake to go at that speed with a new engine... i was on 5th gear at 3500 rpm approx.. happened a couple of times and i was so drunk with power that i didnt realize at that time whether i did the right thing... do u think anything might happen to d engine..?
Hey you should have asked this question before hiting the pedal and not now?
Read every page of the manual which has been provided with the car...spend few hours on it and strictly follow it, all these question will be answered !!!

Abhi
Old 3rd May 2007, 11:04   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_speedster View Post
Heya Guys,

Sorry for the delayed response. To VID and Jaggu. I'm going in for the GIII with alloy wheels. Size is 195/65/14. today i was on the NICE road doing about 150 and quickly realised how soon i need those new tyres. So should get all this done by the weekend. Not too keen on the XM1 or Turanza anymore, also because the sizes i'm looking for are unavailable.

thanks to all of you i now have a better idea of what i need. will post up pics as soon as i get all the mods done.

Aditya
Aditya,
Please let us know the final cost after you upgraded to all those stuffs. that would give an idea if I have to do the same.
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:02   #177
Team-BHP Support

aditya is still hunting and might be moving to 15 inch from his original plan of 14 inch with G3. G3 not available in any place in Bangalore for 195 65 14.

oh wow i realized am a senior bhp ian, guys please take my word now on.. i have seen it all :P just kidding.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd May 2007 at 20:03. Reason: realization
Old 5th May 2007, 16:58   #178
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful info on the Swift DDi. I can't wait to get my car. My query was whether the dealer would offer some sort of discount on changing the steel rims and tyres with the alloys that are OE on the Swift ZXi (petrol). Any swift DDi owners who have done this and have any insights? Thanks

Kartik
Old 6th May 2007, 22:19   #179
BHPian

i haven't done this but dealer quoted me 20 k for 4 alloys....i wasn't going for them anyway so wasn't that much serious to get bargain..
Old 7th May 2007, 10:38   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
Thanks for the wonderful info on the Swift DDi. I can't wait to get my car. My query was whether the dealer would offer some sort of discount on changing the steel rims and tyres with the alloys that are OE on the Swift ZXi (petrol). Any swift DDi owners who have done this and have any insights? Thanks

Kartik
To my knowledge, dealer will take back the tyres for a price but the steel rims will not fetch you anything from the dealer.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks