Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2007, 18:06   #151
BHPian

Thanks Jaggu .. I tried to get (2) and (3) but was stone walled .. the Sales girl kept on saying that it will come out of her pocket. The problem with MUL is currently Swift has a waiting peroid of 2 months and also that it does not have any competitors so they are very happy to tell the customer to cancel the booked and are willing to refund the amount.
Old 30th April 2007, 19:38   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
After nearly waiting for 2.5 months yesterday I got the delivery of my car from in-competent motors. ....
Purchased no accessories from the dealer( not even the extended warranty )
Congratulations on your purchase! BTW, any specific reason because of which you didn't buy extended warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
The problem with MUL is currently Swift has a waiting peroid of 2 months and also that it does not have any competitors so they are very happy to tell the customer to cancel the booked and are willing to refund the amount.
BLACKMAIL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
doesnt make sense, stiffer sidewall means more protection to the rims right??
softer sidewalls will let the impact through?? Am confused?
My interpretation: A softer side wall will flex more and therefore absorb an impact better. A stiffer sidewall on the other hand would transmit it to the rims, causing the bend.

Last edited by Su-47 : 30th April 2007 at 19:45.
Old 30th April 2007, 20:04   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
doesnt make sense, stiffer sidewall means more protection to the rims right??
softer sidewalls will let the impact through?? Am confused?
Nope, Jaggu Dada, SU is right here. A softer sidewall means that in case of an impact the tyre will flex & absorb some of the force and the rest will be transferred onto the wheel & suspension. Whereas, in the case of a stiffer sidewall the tyre will not flex & absorb much of the impact so the brunt will have to be borne by the wheel/suspension. Also in such bumpy roads the stiffer/sportier tyres have more chances of sidewall cuts since they cannot absorb the repeated impacts properly.
Old 30th April 2007, 20:47   #154
Team-BHP Support

Coincidence or BAD Karma!!

Driving back from office, entered the main road and saw a piece of stone rather big one at it (raw granite) was doing around 15-20 kms and swerved to avoid but one small nudge on front LT tyre, OUCH OUCH OUCH!!

Didn have to worry much and the car soon started pulling to one side, this is a very busy road and somehow managed to crawl and park on the side (thank you swift for its compact size), tyre is deflated and honks are blaring.

Took the spare and mounted it. Swift jack is a very easy stuff though the lever which needs to be used with the wheel spanner is a pain and one will eventually scrape the ground and cut the hand as i did.

Pulled off from the spot after changing and went to the next best tyre shop and my guess was spot on, sidewall cut and that too a big one!! Bloody stone was sharp and has left a two inch cut which almost tore the tyre at the sidewall!!

Anyways got the spare fitted on the alloys making sure the rotation is correct and wheel balanced, drove home absolutely silent.

Tomorrow need to see if i can get a partial refund atleast (highly unlikely) or undo one wrong doing and get a NON Directional spare wheel of the same size.

So much for imported tyres, i love MRF Anyways am lucky all this happened inside the city and at 15 km/hour.

Thank you oh considerate person.. who left that stone, most probably for parking his truck lol, let me do lil bit of swearing @ thou to undo my sadness

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st May 2007 at 20:04. Reason: Had to edit for using more than two smlies..
Old 30th April 2007, 21:06   #155
Team-BHP Support

did the tyres have warranty? if they did you can argue your way into getting them replaced. try your luck.

bad luck. what can you do.
Old 30th April 2007, 23:56   #156
BHPian

Quote:
One thing I noted the noise created by the engine was much more than what I saw on the Demo Car.
I also noticed the same. The Demo cars i have tested had clocked 3500 and 4500 kms respectively. So i guess its pretty much about the first servicing done and engine run in period over after which it more refined.

I too asked them to give me some freebies but they were very reluctant. All said same thing " Sir ispe toh koi dicount nahi. log gaadi premium deke le ja rahe hai " They had charged me bloody Rs 2500 for side mouldings, bumper mouldings, mud flaps and digital clock. Problem was they had already put in those when i came for delivery. It was very hot and dad had to rush. so had to give in.

The swift Diesel already comes with an immobilizer. so i haven't installed a gear lock yet but will be going for security system just because of convenience of key less entry.

All the accessories will be available at 35-50 % of MGA price at Kashmere gate or mayapuri. Karol Bagh is also good place for car accessory stuff.

Revere Indicator. Get it for rear. Side view is done by side view mirrors. Swifts one are very big. Once you get and idea of the dimension of your car you won't need them in front. I have learned driving in a gypsy, which has a huge plus point that you can see the bonnet.so u get a fair idea of till where your car goes. Driving in today's car which have slanted bonnets, this gets tough in the beginning.
Old 1st May 2007, 00:56   #157
BHPian

What will be the difference in handling and braking if the tyre size is upgraded from 185 to 195.

Thanks
Old 1st May 2007, 17:01   #158
Team-BHP Support

Difference of tyre size is substantial wrt handling and braking.

For me i got myself a el desi MRF for spare non directional so either side will fit and got an additional tube free along with it for any emergency situation on a highway got some discounts and trade back on the damaged tyre.
Old 1st May 2007, 17:19   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase! BTW, any specific reason because of which you didn't buy extended warranty?
Was very pi**ed off with the dealer ... will take it from Maruti Service Masters ..
Old 1st May 2007, 18:46   #160
Senior - BHPian

I remember my 14 inch alloys were taking a beating on my accent with the factory spec air pressures. I increased them by about 2-3 psi....and no more bent rims. I continued the same pressures on the 15 inch rims...and no damage there too.

Drifter
Old 1st May 2007, 19:01   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
I remember my 14 inch alloys were taking a beating on my accent with the factory spec air pressures. I increased them by about 2-3 psi....and no more bent rims. I continued the same pressures on the 15 inch rims...and no damage there too.

Drifter
Even i have heard a lot about bent rims dude to air pressure. Is there a way to know how much air pressure to maintain after UPSIZING ??
Old 1st May 2007, 19:15   #162
Senior - BHPian

Abhibh, its more of a trial and error thing....its a fine line between ride quality and safe rims. When you upsize, try 3-4 psi above normal and come down as you feel necessary.

Drifter
Old 1st May 2007, 20:46   #163
Team-BHP Support

What's the "correct" tyre pressure?

How long is a piece of string?
Seriously though, you'll be more likely to get a sensible answer to the length of a piece of string than you will to the question of tyres pressures. Lets just say a good starting point is the pressure indicated in the owner's manual, or the sticker inside the driver's side door pillar.I say 'starting point' because on every car I've owned, I've ended up deviating from those figures for one reason or another. On my Subaru Impreza, as outlined above, I got much better gas mileage and no difference in tyre wear by increasing my pressures to 40psi. On my Honda Element, I cured the vague handling and outer-tyre-edge wear by increasing the pressures from the manufacturer-recommended 32/34psi front and rear respectively, to 37psi all round. On my Audi Coupe I cured some squirrelly braking problems by increasing the pressure at the front from 32psi to 36psi. On my really old VW Golf, I cured bad fuel economy and vague steering by increasing the pressures all-round to 33psi.
So what can you, dear reader, learn from my anecdotes? Not much really. It's pub-science. Ask ten Subaru Impreza owners what they run their tyres at and you'll get ten different answers. It depends on how they drive, what size wheels they have, what type of tyres they have, the required comfort vs. handling levels and so on and so forth. That's why I said the sticker in the door pillar is a good starting point. It's really up to you to search the internet and ask around for information specific to your car.
The Max. Pressure -10% theory.

Every tyre has a maximum inflation pressure stamped on the side somewhere. This is the maximum pressure the tyre can safely achieve under load. It is not the pressure you should inflate them to.
Having said this, I've given up using the door pillar sticker as my starting point and instead use the max.pressure-10% theory. According to the wags on many internet forums you can get the best performance by inflating them to 10% less than their recommended maximum pressure (the tyres, not the wags - they already haves inflated egos). It's a vague rule of thumb, and given that every car is different in weight and handling, it's a bit of a sledgehammer approach. But from my experience it does seem to provide a better starting point for adjusting tyre pressures. So to go back to my Subaru Impreza example, the maximum pressure on my Yokohama tyres is 44psi. 10% of that is 4.4, so 44-4.4=39.6psi which is about where I ended up. On my Element, the maximum pressure is 40psi so the 10% rule started me out at 36psi. I added one more to see what happened and it got better. Going up to 38psi and it definitely went off the boil, so for my vehicle and my driving style, 37psi on the Element was the sweet spot.

Source: Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st May 2007 at 20:48.
Old 2nd May 2007, 08:09   #164
BHPian

Hey guys I want a vote on this . I own a diesel Indica 2003 model. When i had bought the car , the cars engine was pretty refined and had very little noise, but after around 4 years of usage I will have to admit that the noise has increased a lot than what it was (I compared it with a new Indica 2007 model bought by my friend). Will the same problem occur with Maruti Swift Diesel ?? Swift -D engine is pretty quite now but wont the noise level go up after 2-3 years of usage ???
Old 2nd May 2007, 09:48   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikunj_cal View Post
Hey guys I want a vote on this . I own a diesel Indica 2003 model. When i had bought the car , the cars engine was pretty refined and had very little noise, but after around 4 years of usage I will have to admit that the noise has increased a lot than what it was (I compared it with a new Indica 2007 model bought by my friend). Will the same problem occur with Maruti Swift Diesel ?? Swift -D engine is pretty quite now but wont the noise level go up after 2-3 years of usage ???
whats your odo reading?

tatas' old 307 engine vs the DDIs engine comparison? pls!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks